Forums » Fallout

All this time playing and I just noticed...

• 215 posts
    February 4, 2018 9:05 AM EST

So, wanting to do something different for my own save for a change so starting that today...

Exiting the vault I'm facing towards the Concord water tower, the same direction I faced when I entered the vault some 200 years ago.  And then I realized.. the Glowing Sea, where the bombs actually fell, are to my South-SouthWest...not to the SouthEast where Concord is located. 

So, was this just a single bomb that fell off target?  Why is there not a similar "Glowing Sea" area towards the Boston downtown area?  Very strange.

So, anyway for this personal playthrough I am going to try a little survival mode but modified RC style.  So here's my thoughts...

1. No fast travel (unless it is to do settlement building or settlement stuff like supply line set up).

2. I will use the Salvage Beacons mod to deal with moving junk back to my settlements for building.

3. My goal will to be to spend more time in each area going building to building to explore more and see more. 

4. I do get periodic freezes and crashes so I will quick save to avoid gameplay loss from those errors but will try to remain true to sleeping whenever I find a sleeping spot.

So it's not a true hard core survival mode but still working along that path.  Well, just looked up how to turn SM on so I've done that.  Guess I won't be saving.  That sucks for my load screen freezes.  Ugh.  But here we go...

This post was edited by Ragin Cajun at February 4, 2018 9:21 AM EST
    • 215 posts
    February 4, 2018 9:22 AM EST

Speaking of new stuff...Yesterday on my stream and followup play through, I encountered deathclaws on two separate occasions at the Abernathy Farm south of Sanctuary.  I've never seen deathclaws up that far north.

• 215 posts
    February 4, 2018 10:02 AM EST

OK, well survival isn't for me I don't think.  It's not so much the saving but the fatigue, thirst, hunger stuff.  Hell, haven't even finished browsing around Sanctuary and I've had to sleep twice, eat all the radroach I killed in town.  Ugh.  LOL.  So back to regular play with some Survivial modifications thrown in. 

• 1441 posts
    February 4, 2018 10:13 AM EST
    Well, most of the nukes were sent at Sentinel Site, which opener and split into multiple mininukes
    • 248 posts
    February 4, 2018 10:22 AM EST

Ragin Cajun said:

OK, well survival isn't for me I don't think.  It's not so much the saving but the fatigue, thirst, hunger stuff.  Hell, haven't even finished browsing around Sanctuary and I've had to sleep twice, eat all the radroach I killed in town.  Ugh.  LOL.  So back to regular play with some Survivial modifications thrown in. 

ha yeah only made it through once in true Smode. It's tedious

• 215 posts
    February 4, 2018 10:41 AM EST

Chris said: Well, most of the nukes were sent at Sentinel Site, which opener and split into multiple mininukes

Cool.  Just strange that they'd focus on downtown Boston in the intro but then in game the "main area" was the Glowing Sea in the opposite direction. 

• 1441 posts
    February 4, 2018 10:42 AM EST
    Well, it's possible a Missle or two missed the mark
    • 284 posts
    February 4, 2018 2:33 PM EST

I've read somewhere that Boston wasn't a target for the nukes. Only the Sentinel Site stockile. The nukes breached the top of the bunker but didn't neutralize the site. They just made a crack in the top of the complex. A crack big enough to let the radiation from the inside spill out and create the Glowing Sea.

• 1441 posts
    February 4, 2018 2:37 PM EST
    To add on to that, the IRL inspiration for the Sentinel Sites were planned Missile interception sites, though only one was ever made. There was a planned one that was to be built near Boston
    • 7 posts
    February 5, 2018 7:18 PM EST

Just a couple things to note:  Better food lasts longer for hunger, IE: A Ribeye Steak will ensure you need to eat less frequently than Grilled Radroach.  If you have cannibalism, you only need to eat 1 time every 12 hours (a corpse) to stave off hunger, with the catch being you have to eat a corpse.    And, for the saving, you would be surprised at just how often you can find a bed within a short distance of pretty much everywhere in the Commonwealth.

I've noticed that with a proper sleep schedule (along with a few naps every day) and eating/drinking before "necessary", it seems to get rid of most of the afflictions like the Insomnia, and other Survival mode afflictions

Not saying you should go back and play Survival, just saying.

• 700 posts
    February 5, 2018 8:10 PM EST

While I was investigating County Crossing, I found a pair of warehouses directly east of the settlement that are stuffed full of crafting materials. One of the warehouses also has an armor workbench and weapons workbench in it. It's unmarked and spawns no enemies as far as I'm aware. It's not a terribly interesting place, but it is very useful.