Forums » The Lounge

What was the first Vault build you played?

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    January 31, 2018 11:25 AM EST

I think it has been a while since this question was asked! It's simple, what was the first build from The Tamriel Vault that you've played? Either from Elder Scrolls or Fallout, or even better, both! Did you play it as the author intended, or just borrow some elements from it and adapted it to your own preferences?

If possible, share a link of it. Let's bring some light to some forgotten gems!

Tell us! And you don't need to restrict yourself to only one build, should you choose to. 

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    January 31, 2018 11:28 AM EST

When I was writing this, two builds came to mind. I'll tell you about both of them, because, why not? And at some point, I mixed aspects of these two builds in one character. Both of these buildings make extensive use of or benefit directly from my favorite Skyrim DLC, "Dawnguard" (although they were both made before Dawnguard was released and were later updated, I only arrived at the Tamriel Vault - then known as The Skyrim Blog - after the DLCs release, so I never got to see those builds before they incorporated Dawnguard features, and Dragonborn, for the second build I'll tell you about).

So the first Vault build I ever played was "The Paladin" by Ponty. I had only just acquired Dawnguard, and lucky me, I chose a build that realized that DLC's potential masterfully. Of course, its focus is on the "light" or "good" side of the DLC, but that's still my favorite to this day. It was the build that made me fall in love with the school of Restoration and made me pursue what would become my favorite weapon in Skyrim - the Dawnbreaker. I think it is the build that I most closely followed the author's template and intentions, but I do remember that I did one change: I played as a Nord, not as an Imperial or Breton as is recommended by Ponty, depending on the path you choose (I followed the "Hero of the Divines"). It was mostly a cosmetic decision, as I never liked how the Imperials looked.

The second build I want to tell you about was "The Demonhunter" by No snakes aLive. I believe that at some point it was the most popular build in the site, back when we were still on the old platform. I loved the visuals, the concept and the extensive use of Restoration and Archery. I played it as a Khajiit, as I agree that it looks badass. I didn't spec two skills recommended by the author, however: Alchemy and Alteration. Come to think of it, these two skills, together with Lockpicking and Pickpocketing are probably the skills that I used the least in Skyrim. I also think that when I played it, I didn't have Dragonborn yet, so I didn't make use of any of the Dragonborn features presented in the build. 

• 284 posts
    January 31, 2018 12:29 PM EST
    The first I played was the Twilight Warden by Noodles. I used to record my playthrough using the Journal of the DB mod.
    • 585 posts
    January 31, 2018 5:04 PM EST

I must've started a 100 builds from here, many of them repeats, but restartitis sent them all to the void before even dragons were released upon the world. The only one I remember following very closely and playing for an extended period of time was Mason's Sorcerer. I played that exactly as he intended, but I've had many builds in the past that've borrowed a little from one build and a little from another.

• 700 posts
    January 31, 2018 5:09 PM EST

Mason's Arcane Archer was the first build I played from here, even before I was a member. I remember being floored by the sheer wealth of information and tactics used in the build. After that, the Demon Hunter. The classics, obviously. Skyrim was still running full-steam ahead then. 

• 104 posts
    January 31, 2018 5:19 PM EST

Great post, brings back some very pleasant memories, my first build from the Vault was the great Mason's Bronze Sentinal, a combination of Melee and Magic great fun and a powerhouse of a character, https://www.tamrielvault.com/groups/topic/view/group_id/3/topic_id/639.

• 122 posts
    January 31, 2018 11:34 PM EST

I think mine might’ve been Henson’s Cabalist, which is the sort of awesome classic that world turn freaking devastating is ever adapted for Ordinator. The build emphasizes conjured minions with long-distance Rune casting for support damage and crowd control.

• 248 posts
    January 31, 2018 11:57 PM EST

Oomph...I'm certainly having trouble thinking back that far. First could be tough to recall.

Before I ever started contributing, I was lurking, looking for clever ways to replay Skyrim.

I do remember giving No Snakes The Demonhunter a pretty legit go.
    I also loved the Twilight of Meridia playthrough.
    There was an excellent experience from Henson's Sun Priest run.

But I always say my favorite play (of another author) is Legion's Curator. It's a proper trot across Skyrim. 

• 248 posts
    February 1, 2018 12:00 AM EST

I should add (being a Fallout CB host and all) that the only one I've tried was Mason's Domino

Damn he was creative.

• 1467 posts
    February 1, 2018 12:03 AM EST

Oh no...I feel so bad because I'm the only person who's first build played is...well my own :( I made my own builds for at least a year before even touching someone else's and even then I can still count (on my hands) how many builds I've played that wasn't my own...

The Feral Orc was the name of the first build that I played on the Vault, and it's burnt with fire. As for my first build that wasn't mine, ShinJin's build - Dibella's Beautiful Blade which is also the only build I've played more than once.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    February 1, 2018 11:39 AM EST

I'm glad I got to know three builds I had skipped: The Curator, Twilight of Meridia and Dibella's Beautiful Blade. Will read through them right now!

Looking at Henson's Sun Priest, I think that I might have actually played it at some point, or at least used it as a template. After all, it does use both Restoration and the Dawnbreaker! However, I think that my favorite build from him is still the Camonna Tong, I came across it during a time where I was obsessed with all things related to Morrowind and the Dunmer, so it was a perfect fit.

• 34 posts
    February 1, 2018 4:16 PM EST

I believe it was the Skystrider. Fairly standard spellsword. Enjoyed it.

• 55 posts
    April 18, 2018 12:04 AM EDT

For me it was the argonian disarming assassin. i can't remember the name atm. He would carry around a shield and no weapon, be expert in pickpocketing the enemies weapons or disarming them in other ways then killing them with their own weapon