Forums » General Gaming

How Do You Roleplay Levelling Up?

• 25 posts
    January 31, 2018 10:57 PM EST

Ebonslayer said:

GailOlm said:

perhaps it's as soly mentioned - in life threatening situations where one runs on adrenaline, the skills develop faster out of neccessity as opposed to a slower growth during formal training.

Actually, real combat would actually be much slower to get better than real training. If combat skills were based completely off physical prowess (strength and speed) it'd be a different story but physical prowess is actual a very small factor in a sword fight, what matters the most is technique. In training you don't just fight, you are taught to pay some attention to the technique of your master and you can safely do so, in fact its encouraged that you lose a few times just to see how they win, in a real combat situation you pay less attention to those things as you are in a fight for your life, you will still get slightly better as you learn things like edge alignment and deflecting attacks but you can't really pay attention to their technique, you just react.

I hadn't thought about it that way but it makes sense, especially in light of real life examples such as military or law enforcement training. Though we obviously don't have magic to look at in a real life example, I imagine it would follow the same principle.

• 275 posts
    January 31, 2018 11:54 PM EST

GailOlm said:

I hadn't thought about it that way but it makes sense, especially in light of real life examples such as military or law enforcement training. Though we obviously don't have magic to look at in a real life example, I imagine it would follow the same principle.

I think magic would work somewhat similarly though it may actually be better to learn magic when you're in a fight as well. On one hand when you're learning magic in a stable environment you could focus on magicka conservation. On the other hand in a fight you would be more likely to learn power to kill enemies as quickly as possible, if adrenaline has an effect on magicka reserves or power it could also help even more as magic seems less based around technique and more around power. However, no matter what a single school of magic would take years to master.

This post was edited by Ebonslayer at January 31, 2018 11:55 PM EST
    • 10 posts
    February 2, 2018 12:13 PM EST

I use one of two methods, I employ one or the other dependant on how I start them out:  

If I start with a level 1 character, then that character is "gifted" in their chosen disiplines.  These gifts allow them to excel at magic or swordplay or thieving, etc.  My recent Paladin build started with a Nord ex-legionnaire who came to help the Vigiliants.  He excelled in martial combat from a very young age, which he depended on while he learned the "priestly" skills of restoration and alteration.

If I start a character with a history - like they were a mage studying in Cyrodill, but then were drawn to Skyrim for reason X - I generally console-level them and they arrive in Skyrim with experience, skill and minor power to begin with.  My current character Morgan, for example, was a mage, scholar and archeologist before being asked by the curator of the Dragonborn Gallery to become the museum's relic hunter.  Therefore his skills in altereration, destruction, lockpicking and speech were already high when he left for Skyrim.

It also helps to have mods.  My uncapper profile is set up to make leveling 20% slower than normal.

• 14 posts
    February 26, 2018 1:31 PM EST
    Honestly, I really love Oblivion's method for dealing with this common RPG problem-that you've kind of been skating through live despite your obvious talents and only when you begin to train does your skill grow
    • 13 posts
    February 26, 2018 1:45 PM EST

I always use my backstory as a cover up. Like my father taught me all of his shield techniques, but it takes time to perfect them in battle. Overtime applying what his father taught him when he's comfortable doing it. 

This is different for spell casters, but you can easily do something like blaming it on the eye of magnus's power seeping into you. Photo graphic memory, waiting for x amount of time in game when you read a new spell book. 

Roleplay wise your only limit is your own Imagination.