Forums » The Lounge

Rank the Batman Movies

• 558 posts
    January 22, 2018 10:54 PM EST

Well, I just watched Batman and Robin, concluding my marathon of all of the 80's and 90's live action Batman films (They're all on Netflix right now in the US). Here is my ranking.

1. Batman Begins

2. Batman Returns

3. The Dark Knight

4. The Dark Knight Rises

5. Batman (1989)

6. Batman Forever

7. Batman and Robin

I really enjoy Batman Begins. I think it is a great origin story. Batman Returns is a very close second, probably fueled by nostalgia. Catwoman and the Penguin were simply amazing in this film. The Dark Knight had an untouchable performance from Heath Ledger that carried the film, plus it was just a slick movie overall. In The Dark Knight Rises, I really liked seeing Bruce Wayne have to come back as Batman. Bane was also pretty sweet in this film. Batman 1989 didn't really hold up as well IMO. That huge float, the bell tower setpiece. Batman Forever was rather forgettable. Some people liked the manic villains, but they didn't impress me, and neither did the plot. B+R was... clearly intentionally campy. I haven't seen the Adam West Batman but for a few clips on Youtube, and it pulled the campyness and comedy off way better than B+R.

What is your ranking of the Batman movies? You can include cartoon films if you want. It doesn't matter if you've seen two or ten, rank what you've seen!

This post was edited by Gollum at January 23, 2018 6:52 PM EST
    • 87 posts
    January 26, 2018 8:02 PM EST
    Of Christopher Nolan’s films:

1. The dark knight
    2. Batman Begins
    3. The dark knight rises
    • 558 posts
    January 27, 2018 8:34 PM EST

The one thing that is annoying in the Nolan films are that Batman makes "no killing" a huge deal, yet he kills people. It is probably at its worst in Batman Begins, when he decides to blow up the temple full of people.

TDK is probably the most fun out of the trilogy.

• 17 posts
    January 28, 2018 11:14 PM EST

Interesting, just yesterday I rewatched Tim Burton's Batman and Batman Begins for comparison...

1. The Dark Knight - hands down best 'Super hero' movie ever

2. Batman (1989) - fun and campy, and earns extra points for Jack Nicholson's perfomance as Mr J

3. Batman Begins - excellent origin story and great performances all around, third act is kinda lame tho

4. Batman Returns - also fun and campy, but plot is a bit messy

5. The Dark Knight Rises - has some good ideas and beautiful cinematography, but huge plot holes and convoluted plot kinda ruin it

6. Batman & Robin - Bat-nipples and Bat-Mastercard! It's pretty iconic and always fun to watch tho! 

7. Batman Forever - they managed to make a forgettable Batman movie, 'nough said

• 558 posts
    January 29, 2018 8:00 PM EST

6. Batman & Robin - Bat-nipples and Bat-Mastercard! It's pretty iconic and always fun to watch tho! 

7. Batman Forever - they managed to make a forgettable Batman movie, 'nough said

I almost did this as well. B+R certainly got a few laughs out of me. Apparently the director had this to say before every take "Remember, this is a cartoon."

A good thing to keep in mind when watching it.

• 17 posts
    January 30, 2018 12:19 AM EST

Hahaa, for sure. I read somewhere that George Clooney was having a laugh through the whole thing, he immediately realised how much of a joke the movie was and just tried to have as much fun as possible. That definitely shows and kinda saved the movie from being another Batman Forever.

This post was edited by Sarah Lannister at January 30, 2018 12:21 AM EST