Forums » Introduce Yourself

Would anyone like to show me around?

• 62 posts
    January 21, 2018 12:04 PM EST

Zonnonn said:

Which of your own stories so you think represents you and your personality the best?

Don't have any. Was gonna start one once, but turns out it's actually quite a lot of work so I decided bugger that.

Well, I guess that represents your personality too. Lol. I'm the same way. Hell, I can't even finish a build without starting a new one (or two). I have a very short attention span so writers block just kills a lot of projects for me.

Zonnonn said:

What's your favorite roleplay profile or even just a reoccurring "quirk" you like to give characters?

I think this is more by nature of the game, but most of my characters are wanderers and will stay that way (ie won't settle down).

Yea, same here. I never really thought about it as a RP, but I never really bother with buying property and getting married and milling flour and all that... I play video games so I don't have to worry about those things. Lol. If they had a filling taxes minigame I probably wouldn't play that either.

Zonnonn said:
    Who amongst your peers do you think has the best RP?

Man, there's too many amazing roleplayer's here, it'd be like choosing my favourite child! Can you go with all of them? Imma go with all of them.

Good call.

Zonnonn said:

Anothertricky one. Ras'lan by Borom always appealed to me, as does anything by No snakes aLive. Ooh, but Mason's Seraphim is also incredibly badass. You might hve to come back to me on this one.

Oh yea, I've been impressed with NoSnakes since discovering some of the contests/events on here, I'll have to look up the Ras'lan though.

Zonnonn said:
    Any interesting guides or lore discussions a newbie like me might have missed?

Vix (all hail) did a big series on every race and their various features. Definitely worth a read and got me into lore.

That does sound really cool, I'll have to check it out. It's funny, but I never think to look up the main races so my knowledge is very topical. Like I know Khajiit have varying stages of beastliness based on the phases of the moon...but no idea what the different kind of Khajiit are our in what way they relate to the moon.

Zonnonn said:
    Anything interesting about you personally you'd like to brag about?

This is when I realise that I'm boring person. I'm 17 (18 tomorrow!), work out quite a lot, currently repeating a year of Sixth Form, am British (from the north of England, the best place in the world) aaaand that's about it. Oh, and I'm the host of Roleplaying! How did I forget that?

Lol. Nah, I panic a little when someone asks me a question like that too. Lol. You're probably more private and modest than boring (a boring person wouldn't have such a unique and creative outlet like RPG roleplay)

• 55 posts
    January 21, 2018 1:25 PM EST

Alright I'll bite:

Which of your own stories so you think represents you and your personality the best?

Likely my Only Monsters Survive in the Wasteland beceause it has a little bit of everything I enjoy putting into my stories: good descriptive language, some action, mystery, bookend framing, minimal dialogue, and creative composition.

What is the most engrossing story you've read of someone else's?

Of the top of my head I would say Teineeva's Streets of Boston.

What's your favorite roleplay profile or even just a reoccurring "quirk" you like to give characters?

I usually play characters that have some pretty horrific backstories full of pain and heartache because people with silver spoons in their mouths are usually a lot less interesting, multifaceted and interesting.

Liss

Which of your own builds are you most proud of?

My very first build: The Warlord which is still one of my favorites. Also really love my Atom series with Atom's Bulwark and the sneakier shootier Atom's Ranger.

What is your favorite build of someone else's?

There are a lot but the two I thought of first and deserve all the praise they can is Liss's Outsider for Skyrim and Madd's Vagabond for FO4.

What has been your favorite contest so far on the Vault?

Event? The very first Fallout character building event for Comic Books holds a special place for me as it was the first FO4 event and while I was a member of the site for many years F04 really gave me the chance to find my niche here and pushed me from semi-active member to full-time host.

Mmm there are lots of good guides around.....for something I have created I really liked my themed settlement guide for FO4.

I love cheese.

• 1467 posts
    January 21, 2018 5:07 PM EST

Oh, wait a minute...I DID read your Dragons Dogma build. It was fantastic! I would have left a like on it, but I apparently didn't have the option. I've been hearing about how awesome DD is from Cannon forever now so it was one of the first game I picked up when I got the new Xbox. I haven't had the time to switch gears completely yet so I don't exactly have any builds in mind, but it really is an amazing game. I also saw that you have a few Pokemon sets, but didn't have time to read them. I'm stoked on that, I have a few teams saved on Showdown myself so I can definitely contribute to that (and for once have some gameplay footage to share). Is anyone the least bit interested in KOA: Reckoning? I had some great builds for that game...there was an exploit where youcould make it perform cancels and charge cancels and I had some great combos built around that.

Ah, yeah the Dragon's Dogma build was a lot of fun. As for KOA, it was pretty much one of the most popular games that never received content, partially because most of us had finished it once (and thus didn't have a build for it) or never got around to finishing it, if I recall correctly. Personally, I can't play it on PC, and since there's no chance of it getting remade for PS4, I'm kinda stuck never being able to play it again, but it's an absolutely amazing game in my opinion. Definitely would be good to see them. Will warn you that the group's pretty quiet these days, but yeah would love to see some stuff :D

• 62 posts
    January 21, 2018 5:13 PM EST

Amornar said:

Likely my Only Monsters Survive in the Wasteland beceause it has a little bit of everything I enjoy putting into my stories: good descriptive language, some action, mystery, bookend framing, minimal dialogue, and creative composition.

Minimal dialogue? I'm there! Lol. I don't know what's wrong with me, but I'm the guy who'll repeatedly mash the skip button as quickly as I can when someone is talking to me but then later I'll research the exact same thing they were trying to tell me about. Hell, I probably do it in videogames too. (Sorry, bad joke... obviously I ONLY do that in video games. I'm pretty sure real people don't have skip buttons, and the last time I looked for one the guy punched me, so I don't anymore).

Amornar said:

I usually play characters that have some pretty horrific backstories full of pain and heartache because people with silver spoons in their mouths are usually a lot less interesting, multifaceted and interesting.

Yea, more complex characters are much better. That's why I hate the morality spectrum so many people use... It's great that your guy likes to kill people, but "because he's evil" isn't a good enough reason. People are deeper than that and everyone's the hero of their own story, so you should really put a lot of thought into their motivations. Especially the ones that are willing to go against societal norms (I.e. be perceived as evil).

Amornar said:

My very first build: The Warlord which is still one of my favorites. Also really love my Atom series with Atom's Bulwark and the sneakier shootier Atom's Ranger.

Man, I still haven't bought FO4 so a lot of that I don't think I can appreciate as much as I should...but my god that Atom's Ranger looks fucking awesome. Between that and chappy's Evil Dead build I'm pretty sure I'm going to go order it now (I want the DLC's and my GameStop doesn't have it).

Amornar said:

Event? The very first Fallout character building event for Comic Books holds a special place for me as it was the first FO4 event and while I was a member of the site for many years F04 really gave me the chance to find my niche here and pushed me from semi-active member to full-time host.

Oh shit, how have I not found this yet!? Thank you!

Amornar said:

Mmm there are lots of good guides around.....for something I have created I really liked my themed settlement guide for FO4.

I'm going to save that because I'll be purchasing FO4 soon so it should prove quite helpful.

Amornar said:

I love cheese.

I can see why you wanted to brag about that.

• 62 posts
    January 21, 2018 5:19 PM EST

Dragonborn1921 said:

Will warn you that the group's pretty quiet these days, but yeah would love to see some stuff :D

Yea, and I'll warn you that if Cannon gets a whiff of some new Dragons Dogma builds then that group will have no chance of ever being quiet again. Lol. I'm gonna get started tonight!

• 168 posts
    January 22, 2018 2:09 AM EST

Tysoyaha said:

Damn...I thought I found another comic book nerd to argue with. Lol. I am however, familiar with Bionicle. When they first came out they had a disk that you could put into your computer and watch like a little video introduction of the character (like the fire guy was lava surfing, the water guy was under the sea, ect...). Man I loved those, but I don't think I ever read a comic. You're harkening back to my childhood with Bionicle and freaking static shock. Lol. I definitely watched all of those (even Teen Titans which I was probably too old to be watching by the time it came out) but I can't say that I've kept up with that. Now that you're older have you checked out any of the darker more strongly comic inspired things like The Killing Joke? If not then I HIGHLY recommend it.

Always nice to meet someone who at least knows about Bionicle, that's good enough for me lol. I actually have most of those discs, I think I might have the whole collection of them minus a few; all that early bionicle stuff was amazing, blew my mind as a kid, still holds up IMO. But I'll have you know that "water guy" was actually female! lol her disc was my favorite, seeing the mask come out of the sea, the rain fall while scaling the cliff, that was the coolest.

We didn't have comic books stores or stuff like that where I grew up anyway, not unless you drove a few miles. So I guess I took what I could get, thus the stuff aired on tv is what I'm familiar with. I didn't even know Bionicle was mostly subscription-based, when I found out I thought I was very fortunate to have had it. The art style of the really early comics (from 2001 up until like 2006) was what inspired me to do arty things, never really could come close to matching the style, though to be fair I don't think that's even possible with pencil & paper..

I'm not much for the super-dark stuff. Bionicle got dark at points (mainly 2007), I had tried getting into the Berserk manga but there was just too much... just depressing shit. I mean the fight scenes are great and all, but reading it just gets me down urgh. I'm not familiar with the Kiling Joke, from the title I'd guess this is about the Joker?

You must be older than me if you say you're too old for Teen Titans (we are talking about the early 2000s one right? please say yes) because I went through puberty towards the end of the series, haha! Those... things... on Raven's chest... distracting me ">_> from the rest of the show...

• 62 posts
    January 22, 2018 8:27 AM EST

Chris H. said:

Always nice to meet someone who at least knows about Bionicle, that's good enough for me lol. I actually have most of those discs, I think I might have the whole collection of them minus a few; all that early bionicle stuff was amazing, blew my mind as a kid, still holds up IMO. But I'll have you know that "water guy" was actually female! lol her disc was my favorite, seeing the mask come out of the sea, the rain fall while scaling the cliff, that was the coolest.

We didn't have comic books stores or stuff like that where I grew up anyway, not unless you drove a few miles. So I guess I took what I could get, thus the stuff aired on tv is what I'm familiar with. I didn't even know Bionicle was mostly subscription-based, when I found out I thought I was very fortunate to have had it. The art style of the really early comics (from 2001 up until like 2006) was what inspired me to do arty things, never really could come close to matching the style, though to be fair I don't think that's even possible with pencil & paper..

I'm not much for the super-dark stuff. Bionicle got dark at points (mainly 2007), I had tried getting into the Berserk manga but there was just too much... just depressing shit. I mean the fight scenes are great and all, but reading it just gets me down urgh. I'm not familiar with the Kiling Joke, from the title I'd guess this is about the Joker?

You must be older than me if you say you're too old for Teen Titans (we are talking about the early 2000s one right? please say yes) because I went through puberty towards the end of the series, haha! Those... things... on Raven's chest... distracting me ">_> from the rest of the show...

Of coarse I knew bionicle! It was a combination of my two favorite things at the time: Lego and transformers. Man, that was my LIFE back then. I used to get the huge model kits with like 2ft long X-wing fighters where you turned a knob on the back and the wings spread (you know, the ones that your single mom made you pay for half of it if you wanted it for Christmas? THOSE giant fuckers? Yea, I loved those. Lol). I'll be honest though...I had no idea any of the bionicles were gendered at all, I thought they were robots (but then again, so we're the transformers). Oh shit, that was it! I don't know why I thought she was in the sea...I honestly forgot until just now what a strong role the masks played. Probably because I never found out why, I think the closest I got to an explanation was like a board game or something? You probably remember... What the hell am I talking about? Lol.

Well there's a trend now of turning some of the most famous comic book arcs into animated movies. They aren't all dark, but they tend to be more subtle and complex than Saturday morning cartoons. The killing joke is one of the more disturbing ones though (spoiler: the last scene is left up to interpretation, but there's a very strong argument for it being of Batman finally killing the joker. Which... I'm sure you're aware, it's a REALLY big deal for Batman to kill anyone and some would even say it means the joker truly won in the end). If you're interested, I'll try to research/remember some of the lighter, more thought provoking adaptations, but I'm drawing a complete blank at the moment.

Oh, and Yea I'm taking about 00's Teen Titans, I was unaware there was another one (though I recently saw some weird chibi version...Please tell me that's not it's own entire series now, is it?). I doubt I'm that much older though, kids are super aware of their perceived maturity, so you always rail hardest against whatever you were into like a year or two ago (i.e. no one says "that's for babies" more often it with more vitriol than a toddler). I think I was only like 15 when it came out? So that's not as creepy as I made it seem... Right? ...Guys?

• 168 posts
    January 22, 2018 7:11 PM EST

Tysoyaha said:

I'll be honest though...I had no idea any of the bionicles were gendered at all, I thought they were robots (but then again, so we're the transformers). Oh shit, that was it! I don't know why I thought she was in the sea...I honestly forgot until just now what a strong role the masks played. Probably because I never found out why, I think the closest I got to an explanation was like a board game or something? You probably remember... What the hell am I talking about? Lol.

They are gendered... technically. You know how the Argonians refer to fellow Argonians as brother and sister? Bionicle characters kinda did that too. The gender is more to do with feminine/masculine personality types, they don't reproduce or have weird creepy sex things (because Lego is for kids!), although there's hardly any females because early on it was meant more for boys.

There was a board game, IIRC there were 2 (at least), but I never had the board game so I wouldn't know what was in it.

Also you weren't wrong about her being in the sea, in the video she arises out of the sea and climbs to land during a rainfall. I know there's some videos around on youtube somewhere..

Tysoyaha said:

Oh, and Yea I'm taking about 00's Teen Titans, I was unaware there was another one (though I recently saw some weird chibi version...Please tell me that's not it's own entire series now, is it?). I doubt I'm that much older though, kids are super aware of their perceived maturity, so you always rail hardest against whatever you were into like a year or two ago (i.e. no one says "that's for babies" more often it with more vitriol than a toddler). I think I was only like 15 when it came out? So that's not as creepy as I made it seem... Right? ...Guys?

Well, the less said about the other one the better, it had nothing that made the 00's one great so its complete crap. Cartoon Network likes to marothons that non-stop for some fcking reason, but I don't really watch much tv anymore so I guess I'm not one to talk (I'm just upset that it exists, because it makes the characters look bad).

It's not really creepy watching Teen Titans when you're 15... at least I wouldn't think so, that show did have its serious moments. That's not that creepy, unless you were only watching it for the cute girls >_>

• 168 posts
    January 22, 2018 7:26 PM EST

Oh BTW, good going there with the questionairre discussion sorta thing. Makes it more interesting that the usual Introduce Yourself topics, I think. (not that the usual stuff is bad, rather there's just not much to say about it)

• 62 posts
    January 23, 2018 8:37 AM EST

Chris H. said:

There was a board game, IIRC there were 2 (at least), but I never had the board game so I wouldn't know what was in it.

Yea, me neither. I didn't really play it much. Whatever distant relative who got me that didn't understand why I liked bionicle (because they were freaking Legos!)

Chris H. said:

Well, the less said about the other one the better, it had nothing that made the 00's one great so its complete crap. Cartoon Network likes to marothons that non-stop for some fcking reason, but I don't really watch much tv anymore so I guess I'm not one to talk (I'm just upset that it exists, because it makes the characters look bad).

Oh wow, that one IS a show. That's...uh....well, at this point, not surprising.

Chris H. said:

It's not really creepy watching Teen Titans when you're 15... at least I wouldn't think so, that show did have its serious moments. That's not that creepy, unless you were only watching it for the cute girls >_>

No, I'm pretty sure I had discovered real girls by the age of 15. Lol.

Chris H. said:

Oh BTW, good going there with the questionairre discussion sorta thing. Makes it more interesting that the usual Introduce Yourself topics, I think. (not that the usual stuff is bad, rather there's just not much to say about it)

Thanks man! Yea, I have a lot to catch up on material-wise and a lot of members to try to get to know better, so I figure: why not ask the community where to start? I appreciate everyone participating too, I have a lot of content to check out and I feel like I got to know a few if you better.

• 649 posts
    January 24, 2018 4:42 AM EST

A tie between Practice of Magic and Chasing Aetherius I think. The former goes deep in Lore, which probably is my strongest side, while CA probably shows best mine and Lis´ humor and storytelling.

Straag Rod, all hands down. Streets of Boston being close behind.

Toilet humor, snarkiness, idiocy, overall doom and gloom :D

Lissette. There aren´t better roleplay builds than hers.

Goldpact Knight and Greenskin

The Outsider

Against Type

The True Nature of Orsimer. Because Orcs for the win.

I´m an Orc. I´m green. And I´m really good gardener, because I have Green Thumbs.

• 457 posts
    January 24, 2018 10:49 AM EST

Karver the Lorc said:

I´m an Orc. I´m green. And I´m really good gardener, because I have Green Thumbs.

I've got no green about me, but I have a two-year old that often has a green nose, then a green finger, and then (if I'm not quick enough) a green mouth. To be honest, I'd prefer it if she were an Orc xD

• 649 posts
    January 24, 2018 2:12 PM EST

ShinJin said:

Karver the Lorc said:

I've got no green about me, but I have a two-year old that often has a green nose, then a green finger, and then (if I'm not quick enough) a green mouth. To be honest, I'd prefer it if she were an Orc xD

Hahaha, you made my day, man! Few more years and she'll be making green "bats" out of green "pigeons" :D

• 62 posts
    January 24, 2018 4:05 PM EST

Karver the Lorc said:

A tie between Practice of Magic and Chasing Aetherius I think. The former goes deep in Lore, which probably is my strongest side, while CA probably shows best mine and Lis´ humor and storytelling.

You had me at lore...and then again at humor. 

Karver the Lorc said:

I noticed that Straag Rod is the expanded universe that your stories are based in, is there any particular order I should read them in? Straag Rod first?

Karver the Lorc said:

Toilet humor, snarkiness, idiocy, overall doom and gloom :D

Lol. That's always amusing. My girlfriend always plays snarky characters and it's hilarious. Though I don't think she officially "roleplays"...she just happens to be a snarky person that likes to talk to videogames. Lol.

Karver the Lorc said:

Lissette. There aren´t better roleplay builds than hers.

Hmm... I'm starting to notice a trend here.

Karver the Lorc said:

Goldpact Knight and Greenskin

Great stuff man. I especially like the way you organize your gameplay section. Most of my builds have "special tactics" but when they don't I struggle to keep the gameplay section from being one big boring wall of text. Categorizing and naming the different approaches you can take in battle really does a lot to keep things interesting.

Karver the Lorc said:

The Outsider

I'm not gonna argue with that one!

Karver the Lorc said:

Against Type

Hmm... That sounds familiar but I forget what the concept was, I'm going to have to look it up (I left work halfway through this reply so I don't have wifi now).

Karver the Lorc said:

The True Nature of Orsimer. Because Orcs for the win.

I'm sensing a slight bias, but I'll give it a shot... Lol. J/k it sounds very interesting.

Karver the Lorc said:

I don't think it works like th- you know what? Maybe it does, what do I know? I look forward to trying some of your home grown vegetable stew.

• 649 posts
    January 24, 2018 4:14 PM EST

Tysoyaha said:

Karver the Lorc said:

I noticed that Straag Rod is the expanded universe that your stories are based in, is there any particular order I should read them in? Straag Rod first?

Yeah, I would start with Straag Rod. We jump a lot through time and there are time gaps between Straag Rod and other stories, usually forward in time, but Straag Rod is the best place to get started. So Straag -- Chasing Death -- Chasing Aetherius -- Practice of Magic would be an order I'd read in.