Forums » General Gaming

I Almost...

• 585 posts
    January 15, 2018 12:47 PM EST

I'm sure we've all tried really hard to achieve X or Y in a game, but for some reason just didn't complete it. Like in Skyrim if you collected 23 Stones of Barenziah, but then decided 'eh, it isn't worth it'. What are your 'almost' stories?

• 585 posts
    January 15, 2018 12:53 PM EST

I'll start. I was playing Assassins Creed: Black Flag and loved it. I collected every shiny thingy (can't remember what they're called), got to every viewpoint, crafted every item... I was on 99% game completed. All I had to do was take on the big bosses, the massive Dreadnaught type ships in each sector. And I never even attempted to. Knew I was gonna fail and couldn't be arsed for the frustration. So there it stays, on 99%, still taunting me to at least try...

• 62 posts
    January 15, 2018 4:13 PM EST
    I went for 100% completion on Rise of the Tomb Raider. As usual, I played a crafting/stealth build while my girlfriend went in guns blazing. So she left me in the dust story-wise and beat the game when I was still playing scavenger hunter back in the Soviet Instillation. At that point, my only chance at ending the relentless trading and mockery was to complete the game entirely (since I knew she never would). I got to like 86% and was nearly at the end of the game, but when it told me that there wouldn't be anymore campfires from a certain point on, I got cold feet. I saw my girlfriend play the end and knew that I couldn't really on stealth to get me through so I wanted to upgrade my shotgun. I went back and completed/found a bunch of shit until this one area where I hit a dead end and had to turn around only to find that the staircase that I had walked up to enter the room now had an invisible floor over it. There was no way out of that room, at like 98% I was stuck and every time I tried to escape I would just hover over the stairs, hanging in the air like all my hopes and dreams. :'(
    • 558 posts
    January 15, 2018 5:16 PM EST

I almost got the platinum trophy on Bastion. I got every trophy except the time attack one and the separate ending one. I played through the game again to get the other ending, but I accidently picked the same one, so I just gave up. 

• 152 posts
    January 16, 2018 4:44 PM EST

When I was a little bit younger I used to play Wizard 101 WAYYYY too much and I remember that I had somehow managed to reach the most up to date world at the time (I'm sure they've added tons by now) but the game had gotten so difficult and the combat repetitive (who would've thought) that I just closed it up and said "I'll come back to this." I've gone through many a laptop since then and honestly the game could be completely gone now for all I know. Fun times though

• 321 posts
    January 16, 2018 8:58 PM EST
    I remembered trying to fight Sephiroth (yes, that Sephiroth) in KH2 after I hit max levek. Died so many times that I experienced more ragequits than in Bloodborne. Still couldn't beat him even if bought the remix version for PS3.
    • 82 posts
    January 18, 2018 7:54 AM EST

I almost decided to live a productive and meaningful life, but then I decided, "screw it, I'll play video games instead."

• 62 posts
    January 18, 2018 8:36 AM EST

Loopdiss said:

I almost decided to live a productive and meaningful life, but then I decided, "screw it, I'll play video games instead."

I'm so confused... Is "Meaningful and Productive Life" an achievement in Sims or Fallout 4? 

• 41 posts
    January 18, 2018 8:43 AM EST
    Sims 4, I'd wager, knowing his interests.
    • 41 posts
    January 18, 2018 8:46 AM EST
    Dragon's Dogma, Everfall, two paws at my side. Facing against an Archhydra accompanied by an army of undead warriors. Cut off a few heads, almost defeated the bastard. Then I got wrecked more than 20 times in a row. Decided to go challenge the (offline) Ur-Dragon. Figured it'd be easier.
    • 41 posts
    January 18, 2018 8:47 AM EST
    Pawns, not paws
    • 41 posts
    January 18, 2018 8:56 AM EST
    Oh wait, that goes against the topic. Damn. My bad.
    • 1467 posts
    January 18, 2018 9:00 AM EST

I'm so confused... Is "Meaningful and Productive Life" an achievement in Sims or Fallout 4? 

It's a new loot box drop that they included in the pre-order version of Star Wars Battlefront actually, costs $30 per drop and you've got a 50% chance to get fed up with gaming and go do something with your life :P

• 62 posts
    January 18, 2018 10:43 AM EST

Mega-Dragonborn-of-Doom (1921) said:

It'sa new loot box drop that they included in the pre-order version of Star Wars Battlefront actually, costs $30 per drop and you've got a 50% chance to get fed up with gaming and go do something with your life :P

Lmao. Actually do something with my life? That sounds rewarding! Damn, now I almost regret not buying Battlefront...oh well, I'm sure Bethesda will offer something similar as a paid mod.

This post was edited by Tysoyaha at January 18, 2018 10:44 AM EST
    • 7 posts
    January 18, 2018 12:39 PM EST
    Well, I had this one playthrough a few weeks back where I was using the Greybears “Find the Words of Power” quest to get every shout that isn’t quest locked. I was almost done, until I got the Drain Vitality quest, but due to a glitch the quest wouldn’t complete and I had that map marker stuck there. I reloaded an earlier save, but I just gave up and deleted the whole save after that and moved on to a different character. I didn’t lose much, it was just getting boring after a while collecting all the shouts, I’m not sure why I didn’t just move on with other quests.
    • 82 posts
    January 18, 2018 9:43 PM EST

Tysoyaha said:

Loopdiss said:

This made me laugh more than it should have.

• 82 posts
    January 18, 2018 9:44 PM EST

Cannon said: Sims 4, I'd wager, knowing his interests.

Who's interests? Mine?!

• 41 posts
    January 19, 2018 6:58 AM EST
    I didn't expect you to be here to defend your proud gamer self. Unexpected, but not unwelcome. Almost like the good old days.
    • 82 posts
    January 19, 2018 7:44 AM EST

Cannon said: I didn't expect you to be here to defend your proud gamer self. Unexpected, but not unwelcome. Almost like the good old days.

Good old days huh? Afraid I don't remember those now.

• 41 posts
    January 19, 2018 7:47 AM EST
    Well now, let's not derail the discussion from it's topic too much.
    • 82 posts
    January 19, 2018 7:52 AM EST

Cannon said: Well now, let's not derail the discussion from it's topic too much.

hahaha, look at this, even here we still manage to do this. But yes, let's not.