Forums » Elder Scrolls

Seeking some setting suggestions.

• 13 posts
    January 4, 2018 7:48 AM EST
    In the land of Tamriel, where might a handsome, wealthy young family go to watch an opera or similar dramatic performance? Aside from the Arena in the Imperial City (that is already one of the choices I am considering...)
    • 295 posts
    January 4, 2018 8:35 AM EST

Haha, I think I created a Theater of the Larsius in some of my builds and fanfiction. I also create brothels and other things in all of the major cities. In Skyrim, I actually think the bard's college  could also perform plays. You also have traveling minstrals and acting troupes, which I add. IMO, Summerset definitely has concert  venues, possibly even a form of opera in my imagination, though I treat music there a bit differently. Stemming what I know of Medieval culture, which is sort of what Tamriel is based on, in addition to Roman, Ancient Greek, all three cultures had thriving music and dramatic scenes. Music and religion is something that goes hand in hand too. 

• 1467 posts
    January 4, 2018 8:41 AM EST

Sounds Batman-y to me :P But I'd probably say that your best bet is going to be High Rock. I don't know enough about whichever game is set there, and I don't think I've been there in ESO, but to me, High Rock is the perfect place for an opera or other massive artistic creations to be made. That said, I see the Altmer as the most 'Artistic' elven race, so that'd work too. 

But yeah, I think there's even an NPC (though it could be modded...can't 100% remember) who talks about the difference between the Bard's College and High Rock musical schools. Just an off-hand thing, but I'm 96% sure that's something referenced in Skyrim. 

EDIT: As a note on the Bard's College (and I hate to go to far into depth here because it bothered me that it wasn't as awesome as it could be). They would definitely put on plays, actually, they do, but I'd imagine them to be more... I don't know, Epic in nature, as in an Epic not as in 'man that's really epic' if that makes sense. If I were to compare them to another game, I'd imagine the BC acts a lot like the Tellings in Kingdoms of Amular (if that makes no sense, then keep moving), they're telling oral history through their poems and plays rather than the more... artistic/creative nature of the Breton/Altmer style. That's my opinion, with the little note, that yeah most of that History is going to be highly exaggerated or just mostly false, but still have little shreds of truth

This post was edited by SpookyBorn2021 at January 4, 2018 8:45 AM EST
    • 649 posts
    January 4, 2018 9:10 AM EST
    Morrowind: Tribunal had a theater in Mournhold. As for Cyrodiil it seems strange there is no such thing. Maybe private plays for nobles? Plays just for counts? Travelling troupes of actors and such visiting cities?
    • 122 posts
    January 4, 2018 9:45 PM EST
    If you want part of the setting to be how fantastic, alien, interesting, and exotic everything is, I’d go with Morrowind. If you want a more European Upscale setting then I’d go High Rock. I’d personally look at something in the Summerset Isles. They’re bound to have a lot of drama.