Forums » The Lounge

Best Movie of 2017?

• 558 posts
    January 2, 2018 7:36 PM EST

What is the best movie from 2017?

I didn't watch that many films this year, but if I had to choose one, I would pick War for the Planet of the Apes.

What is your answer?

• 1467 posts
    January 2, 2018 7:45 PM EST

It's really strange for me, but the movies I enjoyed most were Thor: Ragnarok, and Logan Lucky. Both are comedies (which is strange for me) but I just can't think of anything else that I enjoyed more. War for the Planet of the Apes was slightly disappointing, Last Jedi was mediocre at best, umm... was Guardians of the Galaxy 2 2017 or 2016? Man, I can't even keep up with what came out this year.

Right, nevermind. Logan is by far my favourite, just thought it came out in 2016. Blade Runner 2049 and John Wick: Chapter 2 also make my top 5 list. Suppose it's

1 - Logan

2 - Thor:Ragnarok

3 - Blade Runner 2049

4 - Logan Lucky

5 - John Wick 2

Spiderman Homecoming, War for the Planet of the Apes, Justice League and Murder on the Orient Express all were good. Man I watched a lot of movies this year...

• 558 posts
    January 2, 2018 8:03 PM EST

I heard good things about Logan.

• 278 posts
    January 2, 2018 9:03 PM EST

Logan was awesome, Last Jedi was great (sorry gollum) and John Wick is always enjoyable. Thanks for writing my list, Deebs.

• 558 posts
    January 2, 2018 10:57 PM EST
    Never seen any John Wick films. My brother likes them, though.
    • 277 posts
    January 3, 2018 7:27 AM EST

I figure you kind of need to be emotionally prepared to watch Logan. The movie was great but it was also one hell of a drama. To this day I still enhance my memories of it by replacing the clone with Sabretooth because that's clearly what they were going for. Get tissues if you care for the Huge Jacked Man and his daughter. Anyway, Bladerunner is the top dog for me this year, followed by John Wick, Logan, War for the Planet of the Apes, Baby Driver and Spider-Man. In 2018 I'm pumped for Ready Player One, Avengers and Ant-Man and the Wasp... because Evangeline Lily and her superhero... hot and badass!

• 558 posts
    January 3, 2018 9:32 PM EST

Ready Player One only looks good to me because of the director. I thought when I saw the trailer in the theater that it looked like a movie adaption of some young adult dystopian novel, and I was right. Not that that's inherently bad, but I can't say it makes me any more excited. 

• 278 posts
    January 4, 2018 12:30 AM EST
    Gollum said:

Ready Player One only looks good to me because of the director. I thought when I saw the trailer in the theater that it looked like a movie adaption of some young adult dystopian novel, and I was right. Not that that's inherently bad, but I can't say it makes me any more excited. 

I never thought we would agree on something.
    • 122 posts
    January 4, 2018 7:20 AM EST
    This was a good year for nerd movies. Thor: Ragnarok was really good, as was Spider-Man: Homecoming. I kind of hate scary movies, but I think the movie It deserves an honorable mention for being extremely good,
    • 1467 posts
    January 4, 2018 8:39 AM EST

I'm so tired of YA dystopian novels turned into movies at this point, so it's really only the general idea of the movie that intrigues me, and even then I think it's from more of an analytic point of view rather than me going to enjoy the movie. 

Pacific Rim: Uprising takes my number one spot for 2018 movies that I'm looking forward to the most, just because I think that it's probably one of the best 'Monster-Movies' that have come out recently (definitely better than Kong: Skull Island and Godzilla but I don't know if I've missed one) Deadpool 2 Aquaman, and all the rest of the Marvel/DC movies coming out are ones I'm sorta excited for, though I'll admit that it's because I've already watched each and every single one and I can't see myself stopping (which is what they want). The only recent Marvel movie I loved was Thor: Ragnarok, so I both have high hopes for the franchise but these are all going to be fairly by-the-books in my opinion. 

On a more 'Imma huge nerd/still love stuff that could be childish' I'm actually really excited for Incredibles 2 and Wreck-it-Ralph 2. The first one has been my favourite animated movie, and my second favourite superhero movie since I watched it (Dark Knight took the number one spot there) and Wreck-it-Ralph was just fun in a weird way and I'm interested in what they do with the second one. Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald will also interest me, though I wasn't too fussed on the last one.

Sorry, going to have to edit me. My most anticipated movie is going to be Fate/Stay Night: Heaven's Feel, Part 2. For reasons that are incredibly obvious if you've ever gotten me talking about Fate (Harrow is my latest victim :P), because I love the entire Fate series, and Heaven's Feel, as I'm learning is by far the best route of the main series, and the characters are portrayed amazingly, everything is perfect, and it made me realize that it's possibly the best-dubbed anime I've ever watched (Note, I have watched Apocrypha Dubbed and Subbed, UBW for both and Heaven's Feel subbed only). Because to my recollection, there aren't any characters that are done poorly in it. Anyone could point out at least one character in a dubbed anime that's different to their original version, in terms of their voice at the very least, that changes them massively. But Fate, has perfect character work in my opinion, all of them are just right from what I've seen, the Dubbed and Subbed characters, are almost identical. Lancer is still Lancer when he's been dubbed (same tone, same feel, same everything), Shirou is still Shirou and so on and so forth.

Bah, now you've  done it, you've gotten me on the subject purely because there was a single Fate movie that I've watched, and there's another coming out this year

• 55 posts
    January 4, 2018 8:41 AM EST
    I’m with Noodles, Bladerunner 2049. Hands down.
    • 295 posts
    January 4, 2018 8:54 AM EST

Of what I've seen, Blade Runner 2049 took the top spot easily with Logan a close second. Yeah, bring your tissues for that one, well, for both really if you think about the beauty of the themes presented in 2049, but both movies are very well-written and don't treat their audiences like fools.

Of what I've not seen in trailers, I am most interested to see War for the Planet of the Apes. Again, looks very well written and I really liked the direction they took in the first movie. It's arguably one of the best reboots, right up there with Nolan's Batman trilogy, and I really hate reboots. I didnt' see the last two because I really wasn't in a position to go to the movies much when they were released.

Just not a huge fan of movies right now. 2017 had what I think were a few great gems in an otherwise very blah year. I expect the movies above to do rather well in the Oscars, unless some silly "designed art movie" that was released in Dec 31 so it could qualify takes over. Considering the current climate in Hollywood, however, I also expect the above movies to be completely snubbed because none of them gave a rat's sheeeet about conforming to the current social climate, they just told stories, and apparently the Hollywood establishment hates that now. 

Now, I  liked Valerian and the City of a Thousand planets, but that's  because I know the french comic and am a big Luc Besson fan. Also, honorable mention for Kong: Skull Island because Loki was in it, there was an angry Samuel L. Jackson, and monsters eating people. Nice fun, retro animals eating people, mindless entertainment. Nice popcorn flick and sometimes I like movies like that. 

• 277 posts
    January 4, 2018 9:13 AM EST

Come ooon, Ready Player One (the book) is the ultimate nostalgic fantasy for any geek out there regardless of age. I'm guilty of often telling people that if they don't like it, they're not geeks at all. It may sound extreme but the book does capture everything that makes geekdom sooo awesome!

• 585 posts
    January 4, 2018 10:43 AM EST

Man, the only film I saw this year was It. Honestly I was disappointed, eben though apparently it's quite highly regarded. To me it just felt like 'lets sod off and get killed the film', but I didn't even get the gratification of those muppets dying. It was a beautiful film in terms of cinematics, and I've gotta give credit to possibly the best child actors I've ever seen, but still I don't hold it in very high regard.

• 558 posts
    January 4, 2018 1:55 PM EST

@Wulfhedinn I'm as surprised as you are!

@Mercurias It got talked about so much when it was released, but now it rarely gets mentioned. I haven't seen it myself.

@Dragonborn I watched Kong: Skull Island, but I don't really understand any of the praise it got. The only superhero film I'm actually anticipating is Aquaman, because that's my favorite superhero. Even though I don't understand why they didn't give him his iconic design.

@Long Chapper I'm glad I didn't see any trailers for War of the Planet of the Apes. Just a side note, but the CGI/mocap was probably the best I've seen.

@Noodles I forgot that Ready Player One had a bunch of geek stuff in it. Kind of weird.

@Zonnonn It was commonly discussed when it came out, but apparently most people forgot about it. I guess it isn't as good as people thought.

Bladerunner 2049 and Logan seem to be really popular. I haven't even seen the first Bladerunner, though.

• 278 posts
    January 5, 2018 10:22 AM EST

Gollum said:

@Wulfhedinn I'm as surprised as you are!

Just wait till you go back to talking about Jar Jar Binks and then we'll see who's agreeing.

• 558 posts
    January 5, 2018 8:56 PM EST
    Probably most people.
    • 1467 posts
    January 5, 2018 9:05 PM EST

@Dragonborn I watched Kong: Skull Island, but I don't really understand any of the praise it got. The only superhero film I'm actually anticipating is Aquaman, because that's my favorite superhero. Even though I don't understand why they didn't give him his iconic design.

Wait... Skull Island got praise? It was fine, but it wasn't a 'good' movie or anything, average at best is what I'd give it. Could probably talk all day about Aquaman's whole thing and how it just didn't work in Justice League, or his look at least, but it's pretty much all linked to the fact that originally the new DCCU (DC Cinematic Universe) was supposed to be dark in tone, but it turns out that most Super Heroes are really hard to do in that darker vibe, so after Man of Steel was slammed for things like Metropolis being completely destroyed, the entire 'darker' tone of Superman and then Dawn of Justice, they completely scrapped that darker tone to go with something that was closer to a Marvel Movie. Very joke-y, light-hearted most of the time, shitty villain, and so on and so forth. They basically did a completely 180 because fans weren't happy and they thought it'd make more money.

But they'd already started working on Justice League, already had Game of Thrones guy to be Aquaman, so they had to keep that sort of ridiculous 'edgy look' to him, even after they wrote his character to comedic relief. 

• 558 posts
    January 7, 2018 1:10 AM EST
    Anybody else see Bright? I watched Bright yesterday, and I'll give it a solid 6.5/10. It isn't a must-watch, but it isn't the worst film of the year (which I've heard). I quite liked the orc cop and the setting.

I was afraid that it was going to have an in-your-face political message, but it pretty much avoided anything like that.

I'd still take WFTPOTA over it any day, but I will be watching Bright 2 when it comes out.
    • 558 posts
    January 7, 2018 1:18 AM EST
    @Dragonborn I saw an Angry Joe review and he was praising the heck out of Skull Island if I remember correctly, and somebody I knew said I should see it as well. I never plan on rewatching it.

I didn't see Justice League, but that is disappointing to hear. I hope that the Aquaman standalone is less "Disney-ish", because that actually sounds like a horrible idea.

• 278 posts
    January 7, 2018 7:46 AM EST

Gollum said:  I hope that the Aquaman standalone is less "Disney-ish", because that actually sounds like a horrible idea.

If you're saying Aquaman is dumb, then I've found something else we agree on.

• 558 posts
    January 7, 2018 6:12 PM EST

Nah, Aquaman is cool. 

• 1441 posts
    January 7, 2018 6:17 PM EST
    Especially the DCAU edition
    • 627 posts
    January 7, 2018 6:19 PM EST

Wulfhedinn said:

What kind of dumb are we talking about? Is he dumb like in Batman: The Brave and the Bold where it makes him one of the best characters, or is he dumb in that they are taking the character too seriously for a man that can talk to fish?

• 1441 posts
    January 7, 2018 6:25 PM EST
    The Whispering Fool said:

Wulfhedinn said:

What kind of dumb are we talking about? Is he dumb like in Batman: The Brave and the Bold where it makes him one of the best characters, or is he dumb in that they are taking the character too seriously for a man that can talk to fish?

You know he can summon things like giant squids, giant whales, and has some control over water right?