Forums » Fallout

What's Your Favorite Self-Imposed RP Rule?

• 248 posts
    December 4, 2017 11:15 AM EST

I was thinking about this last night. I know I'm not alone when I enforce self-imposed rules to enhance the role play effect of the game. I was wondering what your favorites or most memorable or most challenging RP rules have been?

Here's a few of my favorite in no particular order:

1. Realistic carry weight (pre-MOD)

2. 10 mm Pistol Only

3. Proper Sleep Schedule (pre-Survival Mode - remember that?)

4. One romantic partner (mynogamy is underrated, especially with a certain saucy Irishwoman) 

5. No Stimpaks - healing with food only (The Creature from the Black Lagoon)

This post was edited by Mottyskills at December 4, 2017 11:16 AM EST
    • 700 posts
    December 4, 2017 11:32 AM EST

Not reloading until I've emptied the magazine. If I could find a mod that dumps ammo for a premature reload, I'd use it. 

Basically what this mod does for NV, but for FO4:

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/48242/?

• 55 posts
    December 4, 2017 11:57 AM EST
    A simple but hard to resist one: no fast travel.
    • 248 posts
    December 4, 2017 12:04 PM EST

Legion said:

Not reloading until I've emptied the magazine. If I could find a mod that dumps ammo for a premature reload, I'd use it. 

Basically what this mod does for NV, but for FO4:

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/48242/?

Oh wow! I think I've got a auto-twitch that reloads on reflex hahah. That would be tough to reprogram my brain. Good one!

• 248 posts
    December 4, 2017 12:06 PM EST

Amornar said: A simple but hard to resist one: no fast travel.
    Yeah - so even in the SMode plays I've done, I get accesss to the Institute or Vertibirds ASAP. I hate no Fast travel lol. I have done it in Skyrim once. With Legion's Curator. But yeah, that tests my patience too far. 

• 55 posts
    December 4, 2017 12:08 PM EST
    It’s hard! Especially when you get a quest like Preston sending you to a far off settlement to kill something then come back. Or a fetch quest in Skyrim.
    • 700 posts
    December 4, 2017 12:32 PM EST

Mottyskills said:

Oh wow! I think I've got a auto-twitch that reloads on reflex hahah. That would be tough to reprogram my brain. Good one!

Yeah, me too. Playing shooters for so many years programmed me to reload after firing one round. It's a hard one, but it gets fun. 

• December 4, 2017 1:15 PM EST
    1. Carry no more than 60 pounds unless I have a backpack this includes weapons, armor, food, etc
    2. Carry only a limited amount of ammo, food, water, and healing items.
    3. Cary only two or three weapons depending. I usually carry a Rifle, Pistol, and Combat Knife
    4. Use Stimpacks when crippled or severely injured, and use food for general healing
    5. No fast traveling and no running all the time
    6. Never reload until the fight is over
    7. Always have a flaw like PTSD or a chem addiction
    8. No travel in Power Armor all the time and can only use heavy weapons when in Power Armor
    9. Don't crouch unless outside of stealth, and never walk in crouch mode
    10. Make realistic settlements
    11. Only use one companion along with Dogmeat

Those are my rules.

• 295 posts
    December 4, 2017 1:15 PM EST

1. Only using the double-barrel shotgun for Ash and then, making it a saw-off barrel. Considering I had just done a Survival playthrough using the Overseer's guardian and Justice, I was crying a little in the beginning. 

2. Not using VATS

3. Not perking local leader

4. Refusing to run with followers because Lone Wanderer means Lone Wanderer. 

5. No fast travel, as others have done.

• 7 posts
    December 5, 2017 8:09 AM EST

(Fallout 4)  I like to "upgrade" my Companions in a realistic way to my playthrough.  For Instance:  If im not focusing on any particular quest line, and focusing on the main story, then after getting Dogmeat, I transfer companionship to Codsworth, because I think its more realistic to travel around with a flame-thrower wielding robot that you trust than a dog.  and once I get to Diamond City, I transfer companionship to either Piper or Nick, since that illustrates a "better" chance of finding Shaun.  Then after "finding" Shaun becomes un-doable (because he's where he is) I usually transfer companionship to whichever companion is available from my choice of Faction.  Until Automatron.  Then I always take an automatron.

• 77 posts
    December 5, 2017 11:42 AM EST

I haven't played FO4 in awhile but I always get caught up with making my settlements realistic.  I'm sure some of you have seen Oxhorn's videos and he has done some really cool things with his settlements but they are like post-apocalyptic resorts.  I try to keep that run down, scraping a living out of the dust kind of feel.

• 248 posts
    December 5, 2017 1:01 PM EST

Ooh couple of highlights for me from these:

- can only use heavy weapons when in Power Armor (always bothered me that you could run with a minigun in plain clothes)
    - Not using VATS (I've done one playthrough like this - highly recommend for a total different game).
    - "upgrade" my Companions - wondering if you also upgrade their weapons and clothes/armor? That's one thing I like to do a lot of. Like, nice corset Cait, but let's get some armor on you...

- Realistic settlements - I've gone both ways with this, but in a heavy RP playthrough, I'm with you. I'm not making a perfect 5 story concrete highrise with neon lights in the post-apocolypse. I'm scraping some crappy walls together, making water and food a priority and having a few gaurds.  

This post was edited by Mottyskills at December 5, 2017 1:03 PM EST
    • 7 posts
    December 5, 2017 1:05 PM EST

Mottyskills said:

Ooh couple of highlights for me from these:

- can only use heavy weapons when in Power Armor (always bothered me that you could run with a minigun in plain clothes)
    - Not using VATS (I've done one playthrough like this - highly recommend for a total different game).
    - "upgrade" my Companions - wondering if you also upgrade their weapons and clothes/armor? That's one thing I like to do a lot of. Like, nice corset Cait, but let's get some armor on you...

- Realistic settlements - I've gone both ways with this, but in a heavy RP playthrough, I'm with you. I'm not making a perfect 5 story concrete highrise with neon lights in the post-apocolypse. I'm scraping some crappy walls together, making water and food a priority and having a few gaurds.  

Oh yes, I definitely upgrade them, I mean, sure, Pipers little red outfit might be ok for slumming around DC trying to dig up dirt on the Mayor, but its hardly fitting attire for getting into a possible all out, bare-knuckeled brawl with a couple Super Mutants.    I just used the term upgrade because I couldn't think of a better one...."trade out"?  I dont know, just doesnt sound quite right for the sentiment behind the change

• 8 posts
    December 6, 2017 7:25 PM EST

Survival mode gives me most of the restrictions that I like for a realistic play, most of my self imposed ones are to do with interacting with factions. I don't take Nick with me when doing anything for the Brotherhood, and he's not allowed to catch a ride on the vertibird with me either. I also don't take Danse into Railroad HQ. If my character isn't aligned with the Brotherhood, but has access to Vertibirds for whatever reason, I won't use Vertibirds to get to sensitive locations (Like Vigil's cave, RR missions etc.). Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

• 248 posts
    December 14, 2017 9:12 PM EST

Asher said:

Survival mode gives me most of the restrictions that I like for a realistic play, most of my self imposed ones are to do with interacting with factions. I don't take Nick with me when doing anything for the Brotherhood, and he's not allowed to catch a ride on the vertibird with me either. I also don't take Danse into Railroad HQ. If my character isn't aligned with the Brotherhood, but has access to Vertibirds for whatever reason, I won't use Vertibirds to get to sensitive locations (Like Vigil's cave, RR missions etc.). Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

I really like the faction rules you have. I always thought it was wierd that the game doesn't restrict or at least treat you harshly if you fly Nick the the Prydwen for example. Those little tweaks can make all the difference in immersion. Thanks for sharing Asher! 

• 152 posts
    December 16, 2017 12:45 PM EST

A favorite of mine is no corpse looting. Not for any kind of morality based reason but rather as a way to improve the fluidity of playing since I'm sure I speak for most of us when I say that anytime a body drops-from a raider boss to a bloatfly- I have that automatic twitch to fondle their body in search of some .38 ammo or a stimpack that I clearly don't need. The game is just more fun and fast paced when you plow through a group of baddies and just keep going without stopping to check every corpse for goodies. Except for Legendaries of course :D

• 8 posts
    December 16, 2017 4:57 PM EST

Thanks Motty!

MaddMannatee said:

A favorite of mine is no corpse looting. Not for any kind of morality based reason but rather as a way to improve the fluidity of playing since I'm sure I speak for most of us when I say that anytime a body drops-from a raider boss to a bloatfly- I have that automatic twitch to fondle their body in search of some .38 ammo or a stimpack that I clearly don't need. The game is just more fun and fast paced when you plow through a group of baddies and just keep going without stopping to check every corpse for goodies. Except for Legendaries of course :D

This is a good one, I'm an absolute hoarder in all video games, and Fallout's settlement system only made that worse :P I had a looting related rule for some characters, which was no looting from 'questionable' sources, usually supermutant blood sacks. For most characters I can't reasonably justify sifting through bloody, corpse filled bags for 3 ammo. Their willing to get their hands dirty, but there's a limit. Another one I use for my more 'survivalist' playthroughs is whenever harvesting meat from dead creatures, I wait an hour to simulate the process. This definitely cut down and my instinct to hoard all food because I might need at some point, only taking what I actually need.

• 3 posts
    December 16, 2017 5:47 PM EST
    I would have to say the, no spending perks until I had cannibalized a powerful enemy restriction from my Black Widow build.