Forums » General Gaming

POLL Your 2017 Game of the Year

• 773 posts
    December 1, 2017 10:24 AM EST

It has become custom for the final poll of the year on our site to be 'Game of the Year'

So here we are once again, as another gaming year draws to a close, voting on our favourite. This year, to be honest, I found it hard to populate the poll with likely candidates from the RPG (or close to RPG) genre, but I've got what I think are the leading contenders. 

If you have another candidate, then by all means vote for that option - BUT remember to tell us which in the thread.

I've included ESO Morrowind - yeah, not technically a new game. But it was promoted as a something a bit more than a regular DLC - a 'Chapter' - so I've included it. It's either that or nothing from Bethesda!

So, vote vote, vote - and comment, comment, comment :) 

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    December 1, 2017 2:47 PM EST

Huh. I think the only 2017 game I played this year was Total War: Warhammer II, and I didn't like it as much as I liked the first one. But I'm very interested in getting Divinity Original Sin 2, and I think it has very high chances of becoming my favorite game of 2017. Unfortunately, I haven't found the time to play it yet (I hear it is close to Skyrim-levels of time consumption), but I'm hoping that that changes this month and in the next!

• 1441 posts
    December 1, 2017 3:29 PM EST

Oh shit, hmmm. I'd have to say Persona 5

• 627 posts
    December 1, 2017 3:57 PM EST

As the only person to so far to have voted for something else, my game of the year is probably Nier Automata due to how much of an effect it had on me while I was playing it and even after I had given my save to help another player.

• 261 posts
    December 1, 2017 4:20 PM EST

My vote went to Breath of the Wild. The definitive modern Nintendo game; basically, the Ocarina of Time of my era. And a bundle of fun.

• 1467 posts
    December 1, 2017 7:22 PM EST

Look ESO: Morrowind was fine, Breath of the Wild was fucking great, Mass Effect: Andromeda was fun. But man does Horizon: Zero Dawn destroy everything. It loses a little because it's a console exclusive (but that's fine, the best Xbox exclusive so far is still Dead Rising 3 :P Sorry Xbone players, but man compared to us you've got nothing.) but holy shit was it an amazing game. Just, I can't even think of a proper flaw in that game. The story was excellent, the voice acting was great, the world design and graphics were awesome, ah, oh combat was by far the most fun I've had in anything since Skyrim. The enemies were intersting, each fight felt very much like the Witcher 3 (where you had to plan things out to fight tougher enemies) but without the negatives behind that combat system.

Horizon: Zero Dawn has my vote, with Breath of the Wild hitting 2nd, ESO: Morrowind hitting 3rd and then...other things.

• 700 posts
    December 2, 2017 2:32 AM EST

I haven't played it yet, but Shadow of War. I just know. 

• 773 posts
    December 2, 2017 4:57 AM EST

Chris said:

Oh shit, hmmm. I'd have to say Persona 5

You said it, but didn't vote for it?

• 773 posts
    December 2, 2017 4:57 AM EST

Legion said:

I haven't played it yet, but Shadow of War. I just know. 

That probably should have been in the poll

• 773 posts
    December 2, 2017 5:01 AM EST

I voted for ESO Morrowind as this was the only game that I bought this year. I've just finished up the Clockwork City, which has made ESO Morrowind even better than it was before. As a Morrowind vet from back in 2002, the ESO version was everything I could have hoped for - a very satisfying experience.

If I was going to pick one other from the list to buy it would have been Horizon Zero Dawn. Everything I've heard about it suggests I'd enjoy it, but I just don't have the time to sink into a game like that - or not without completely abandoning ESO, which I don't want to do right now.

I might pick up Assassins Creed Origins when it drops in price, just to have a game that I can pick up and play for a couple of hours now and again, to add some variety to my (limited) game time.

• 44 posts
    December 2, 2017 5:24 AM EST

ESO Morrowind was my choice. I really enjoyed it a lot for the sake of nostalgia and over all it was beautiful. I don't buy many games in a year, so this is my only choice.

• 248 posts
    December 2, 2017 11:15 AM EST

Prob not the GOTY, but the only one I played and truly enjoyed - Wolfenstein 2. It's really only a 14 hour FPS, but the depth of character development, sound engineering and gameplay really felt great. Certainly worth it. But at some point, when the complete ed releases, Horizon Zero Dawn will be getting a full playthrough. Looks amazing.

• 69 posts
    December 2, 2017 5:30 PM EST

Well, unfortunately I only got to complete and play FFXV. So that has to be my choice for this one... Looking to play some Origins and ESO soon, if I can get a Ps4 or XB1

• 558 posts
    December 2, 2017 9:09 PM EST

I bought Destiny 2. It is so boring that my eyes glaze over and everything gets blurry but I keep jumping around like a maniac with my finger on the trigger and I win. I do that and I win. It's a boring game.

I got Injustice 2, played it for many months, but it isn't that fun. 

My GoTY is Middle Earth: Shadow of War. I'm only 36% of the way through, and I would say that it is worse than the first Middle Earth game, but it has some good moments. It is also a lot bigger, and with more options in combat. Warner Bros. forced a diversity quota or whatever you want to call it on this game and it is painfully obvious. The first act (they split the game up into acts) is absolutely horrible. Playing on the hardest difficulty with barely any tools at your disposal is tedious and frustrating (also the story up to that point was a SNOOZEFEST). But then you get to the second act. And you get to take over a colossal fort. Then the game just opens up (there is like three or four big new areas that you get access to). The nemesis system keeps me coming back, and, at the moment, I am actually starting to care about one or two of the main quests. If you put a gun to my head and asked me to rate it, I'd give it a 6.5/10. It is fun once you get past the terrible first act, but the only people who are going to call this GoTY probably haven't played many other games that came out this year.

• 1595 posts
    December 3, 2017 4:46 AM EST

Paul said:

I voted for ESO Morrowind as this was the only game that I bought this year. I've just finished up the Clockwork City, which has made ESO Morrowind even better than it was before. As a Morrowind vet from back in 2002, the ESO version was everything I could have hoped for - a very satisfying experience.

Caladran said:

ESO Morrowind was my choice. I really enjoyed it a lot for the sake of nostalgia and over all it was beautiful. I don't buy many games in a year, so this is my only choice.

ESO Morrowind got my vote too. By default really as I haven't bought any other games this year, nor are there any I really want. Love me some Mass Effect, but with Andromeda I was and am pretty "meh" about it. Morrowind, though, yeah that rocked. Still does as I am after the smaller achievements like finding and reading every copy of the 36 Lessons.

That Chapter also had the stand-out quest involving an Argonian Telvanni mage, something which remains one of the best pieces of storytelling in any TES game ever. Which to be fair is not a tall order, but ESO gets consistently more deep with each add-on.Meeting a younger Vivec was awesome, loved his portrayal and seeing Lie Rock being pushed back by his power.

Plus there's Naryu and the new intro which removes the mandatory "you have no soul, why aren't you ginger?" from the previous. Also it has Naryu. Did I say that already?

Also, good to know you finished CWC Paul.

• 321 posts
    December 3, 2017 6:12 AM EST

I vote for Horizon: Zero Dawn as (Playstation) GOTY because it was just amazing on par with the Uncharted games. With the Frozen Wild DLC now out, it means more initiative to continue playing the game. Plus Aloy is waifu-material.

I got nothing to say about ESO: Morrowind since I'm not really into multiplayer RPGs, but I heard it's good for gamers and Elder Scrolls fans. I may consider buying it.

• 55 posts
    December 5, 2017 10:00 PM EST
    I just anted to throw some weight beyond Total War Warhammer II. I am a big fan of Warhammer Fantasy and I am a big fan of the Total War series and number 2 has had big strides from first which was pretty good. Really the only new game I got this year though.
    • 966 posts
    December 19, 2017 11:31 PM EST

I'll be part of the minority and say Andromeda. For all it's backlash and problems I did love it for what it it was.

That said, if I had played Divinity Original Sin 2 I would have probably picked that, loved the first one, I believe it to be one of the best RPG's ever made for many reasons.

• 558 posts
    January 19, 2018 8:36 PM EST

My 2017 GOTY has changed...

Now Pyre is the game of the year. Half visual novel, half sports game. Pretty sweet art and music, and some memorable characters. The first forty minutes were pretty tough to get through, but once I got familiar with the main characters, it was smooth sailing. There are some pretty hard choices later on. Overall I have to give it a 9/10. Once it clicked with me I never wanted to stop playing. Easily better than Shadow of War.

• 558 posts
    January 19, 2018 8:56 PM EST
    Plus it has local versus mode multiplayer, which is really fun since you have the option to customize the heck out of the enormous cast.

Each character has four perk slots and a talisman slot, which drastically improves who you're playing. This is for campaign and PvP. There is no online PvP, sadly.