Forums » The Lounge

Why do you fantasy?

• November 23, 2017 4:20 PM EST

Mercurias said:

The Postman said:

Anyway, I’ve spent forty five drowsy early morning minutes on this and need to go to work. Hopefully it makes sense.

Man, you say that your father read to you takes me back when my father did the same thing except he read Stephen King's The Stand to me.

Ah, I was given a Dictionary and a Thesaurus by my granddad so I would quit asking people what this world meant or what is a word that means the same thing as this world. I still treasured my dad's copy of 1984  he gave me when I began High School and my granddad's copy of War of the Worlds which he gave me because I would always read it.

Yes, your point makes sense to me because I can relate to it. Fantasy has always been part of your life just as Sci-Fi, Horror, Western, and Mystery have been part of my life. As a child myself I would do the similar thing like what you did, but I always wonder how could people let this happen like I wondered how people let 1984 happen or even how people let Brave New World, but now I know how it happens. Really, I guess that is my other problem with fantasy it doesn't give me the answers I seek nor does it question any of my answers if that makes sense.

Also, yes it did make sense though there were some errors I got what you were saying.

Sorry for the errors. I'd been up until 2am processing insurance claims and was only half-there until about noon that day.

I suppose there is an element of suspending disbelief involved in fantasy. When I dive deep into a new fantasy world, I tell myself that, while there are some similarities, the best thing to do is approach that new world as if it has no relation at all to the real world. Especially in very recent sorts of fantasy novels, people like to put extremely human, fleshed out, believable characters in completely alien, fantastic settings. If you'll pardon the expression, it's kind of an entirely different trip from what King does, more like his Dark Tower series than, say, It. At least in my brain-meats. 

Nah, you are fine man.

I get that man. I mean I kind of have to do the same with some Sci-Fi like Star Wars. I can't really say much else, but I do like this point. So thanks for sharing.

• 152 posts
    November 26, 2017 10:09 PM EST

I'm a bit late but I'm too intrigued by this question to not comment my answer for it: escapism. If I'm being honest, of all the types of worlds out there that people have dreamed up, I think the one we got is the least fun. Seriously, if I had choice between getting a full time job as CEO of some company in modern day America or throwing on a backpack filled with elven bread and my magical sword strapped to my side as I set out on a quest to journey across the open land evading trolls and goblins in Middle Earth, the latter option would win my heart everytime. 

Sometimes, this world just kinda blows and the restrictions of what is deemed legal, culturally correct, scientifically possible, and a proper use of time has made it so our freedom can hardly ever intertwine with our imagination. But a world filled with magic, adventure, and infinite new-ness? Yeah, I'd much rather be there then sitting in my bed on my laptop dreading the monotony of life I have to face when I wake up tomorrow

• November 26, 2017 10:30 PM EST

MaddMannatee said:

I'm a bit late but I'm too intrigued by this question to not comment my answer for it: escapism. If I'm being honest, of all the types of worlds out there that people have dreamed up, I think the one we got is the least fun. Seriously, if I had choice between getting a full time job as CEO of some company in modern day America or throwing on a backpack filled with elven bread and my magical sword strapped to my side as I set out on a quest to journey across the open land evading trolls and goblins in Middle Earth, the latter option would win my heart everytime. 

Sometimes, this world just kinda blows and the restrictions of what is deemed legal, culturally correct, scientifically possible, and a proper use of time has made it so our freedom can hardly ever intertwine with our imagination. But a world filled with magic, adventure, and infinite new-ness? Yeah, I'd much rather be there then sitting in my bed on my laptop dreading the monotony of life I have to face when I wake up tomorrow

Nah, no one is ever late, man. Escapism is the common theme around here. I can understand your view and respect as I would say the same, but opposite though i would be the leader of the Brotherhood of Steel or Raider Boss in Mad Max.

Jesus, man getting a little meta there aren't you? I get your point once again, but again just reverse it.