Forums » Elder Scrolls

Rewriting Skyrim's Main Quest: Part 1, Helgen

• 1467 posts
    November 15, 2017 12:05 AM EST

Skyrim’s main quest is something that has always been hard for me to digest. It’s obviously no where the focus of the game went, that’d be the gameplay and world-building, and it just doesn’t stand out as either good or bad. So, it’s got me thinking about what I would like the Main Quest to be, what would I change if I could?

Helgen:

Okay, so if I'm going to objectively look at Unbound, it's a fine quest that does what it needs to do. It enforces the main conflict of the game in an arguably interesting way while also working as a tutorial. I mean when you first see Ulfric and hear Tullius' speech, you just get a sense that this is what the game is going to be about, and that's really interesting. After Oblivion and Morrowind both being about 'Big-Evil-Baddy', it was nice to see a more grounded start...wat. Oh, right, silly me, the Civil War is a sidequest, not the primary focus of the game. No that's Big-Evil-Baddy 30192: The Dragon, he's the main enemy because...Destiny I suppose. Not the game, but because you know, it's the character's destiny to fight off the bad guy and kill the evil dragon. Oh and there’s a prophecy, I mean I’m pretty sure they just made the prophecy up in Skyrim but that’s beside the point. The main point, is it’s the Dragonborn’s Destiny to Defeat the Dragon. Oh and I suppose you could argue there’s some thematic thing where you have the opposites of Alduin and the Dragonborn so it’s not a nothing story, it’s just…incredibly mediocre.  

So here's where I think the issues start to pop up, and there are two ways to look at it. First, is that I kinda think that Skyrim would've been a way more enjoyable game if the Civil War was the main focus of the game. As it is, it almost feels like a slightly longer side quest, where there are only really two characters that are interesting (Galmar and Ulfric) and the Empire is filled with such boring characters that it almost feels like a couple of random NPC's that just happened to have more dialogue. Rikke does get a bit of time to shine at the very end where you learn that her and Galmar knew each other, but that was literally a few seconds and it ended pretty soon after that. Imagine, if instead of Alduin coming in and blowing everything up, any other reason for Ulfric escaping was used. Maybe use him as a genuine threat and have him Shout his way out (he gets rid of the ) or have the Stormcloaks come in and utterly destroy the place, instantly showing that this army is a threat to the Legion. Either way, it would establish the Stormcloaks or Ulfric as a powerful threat to the Empire. I would skip the entire, choosing Ralof or Hadvar thing, either to have them both survive (which is a lot more interesting than just one of them surviving, and they could be used to play off of each other later on) or just write them out. Instead of this, use Ulfric and either Rikke (not Tullius, because why the fuck would he be down in Helgen when he's the general of the Imperial Army) or maybe even Elenwen as the 'choose-your-side' moment. 

What's the point of this? First of all, it gives you a bit more of a logical reason for wanting to side with them. Hadvar and Ralof are basically grunts who have no real standing in the armies, but if you were saved by the leader of the faction you want to join, it would logically create a bit more of a bond with them and their faction. The second thing this would do is cut out on some of the useless characters, and allows for more of a focus on the truly important ones (Galmar, Ulfric, Rikke and Elenwen here), building them up more and more. But that's for later, I suppose. 

The alternative point, if you want to leave the Civil War alone, or at least still work in Dragons at this point, is to have it be a random dragon instead of Alduin. I'm really not a fan of games, movies, books and so on, that shows off the main villain at the very beginning. Any other Dragon would've served the same purpose while also reinforcing the control Alduin has over the Dragons (his army) and just generally would've made him so badass in comparison. Imagine if you never fought Alduin until Sovengarde? The minute he starts resurrecting Dragons (something you would've heard about but not seen...oh and it would've happened in this world, but I'll get to that later) and summoning meteors, it would've been a complete "OH SHIT" moment, rather than just something you've seen three times up until now. I could probably accept and stand a meeting with Alduin at The Throat of the World but it would've been a non-combat meeting. Why would he bother fighting you himself when he can just set a couple minions on you? It just makes more sense, and would allow him to develop as more of a badass. I won't really be mentioning this for awhile, because I want to focus on the Civil War here.

To finish off the quest, after picking Elenwen/Rikke or Ulfric, this choice matters until you finish the Civil War. If you choose to follow Ulfric you cannot enter Solitude or any of the other Imperial Holds, well you can but it's as a criminal. You've been seen and identified as a follower of Ulfric Stormcloak, and that has consequences for the non-Stormcloaks regions of Skyrim. This adds stakes to the game I think, that instead of being able to run around (even as a high ranking officer) the enemy hold and even walk up to the enemy Jarl, you will be held accountable for choosing a side, rather than just Hadvar/Ralof died...So be sad? The same happens if you join the Imperials, just with the Stormcloak holds. 

What I've Changed:

To be honest, it isn't much but it has huge implications for the rest of the Main Quest (now the Civil War).

1 - The Dragons haven't attacked, and nobody knows they exist (I did briefly mention why I don't like that Alduin showed up originally, but the idea here is that Stormcloaks/Ulfric busted us out of Helgen)

2 - The choice of Stormcloak/Imperial will have impacts that can be felt throughout the game.

3 - The Civil War is now the Main Quest.

There are some minor ideas, like Rikke/Galmar being more important, Tullius not showing up, Elenwen being more important, no more Hadvar/Ralof but these aren't going to come into play for now. 

Closing Notes:

So, yeah. Let me know what you think or how you'd change the opening to Helgen (hell, let me know if you think Helgen was fine and I shouldn't have written this). I'm aiming to get one of these out once a week roughly, dunno depends on how long the next 'quest' ends up. It shouldn't take too long to figure out what to write but I have to actually plan which 'Vanilla Quest/s' I'll use as a basis. As a note, I'm also a terrible writer which is why this isn't a proper story and is probably going to be spelled wrong at times, oh and the consistent rate at which I make other mistakes.

Part 2 - Joining the War

Part 2.5 - The Thalmor

This post was edited by SpookyBorn2021 at November 19, 2017 4:04 AM EST
    • 585 posts
    November 15, 2017 8:07 AM EST

This is an interesting discussion Deebs, and while I agree with your main points there are some things I'd like to ask.

The reemergence of dragons is a big deal in the game world, I mean they're legends come to life and deserve a dramatic entrance. So while it's definitely cliche to have the BBEG rock up at the very beginning of the game, it'd be hard to come up with a fitting entrance to the race without letting them arrive early, and it'd be even harder if you don't meet Alduin until late in the game. An argument could be made that the fact that you have to go through a few quests before the Watchtower is attacked is fine and is similar in the result, but it doesn't have the same 'oh shit' feeling that Alduin does. Maybe in an early Civil War battle, the first one on the open field or a cool siege or something, a dragon takes the exact opportunity to show up, but unless there's some cool imagery (eclipsing the sun, demolishing a group of soldiers etc) I don't think it would have the same effect, it'd just be prettying up an entrance after all. Alduin being so powerful and you being so vulnerable is very thematic, even if you're the most OP resto-loop-abusing demigod by the time you finally put him down, there is always that one time when he was utterly powerful, and I think that's something Skyrim didn't build on enough. He's supposed to be the Harbringer of the End Times, he shouldn't be a tiny bit bigger than the others with no health bar, he should be unstoppable.

I really like the idea of half the map being basically hostile to you right from the beginning, it adds a sense or progression, makes the Civil War actually feel important and is great for a roleplay. But part of me thinks that it takes away from the core theme of the Elder Scrolls - openness. You can pick whoever you want to be, kill people however you want to be and go wherever you want. It could be argued that 2/3 is still bloody liberal, but I dunno. But if we run with your idea, that I still prefer, I think it would have to be handled verr carefully, e.g:

• Handle it in a similar way to Witcher 3. So instead of having a dangerous area on one side of the map you have two zones, which can't be accessed until a certain point. Yeah, this takes away the freedom aspect I just yammered on about, but its a kind of 'all or nothing' situation, plus it'd work well with having the Civil War as the main quest. A new soldier in the army wouldn't be having a cheeky gander around enemy cities, they'd be engaging in little skirmishes in there own territory, handling minor domestic threats, training with the other new recruits etc. So when you finally gain rank and the other area opens up you feel ready and that you earnt your place, something Skyrim is infamous for being naff at. And if it's done well you forget that there are other parts of the map, it's what happened with me and Witcher 3, and made the expansion to other lands all that more exciting. Plus being in one smaller area the entire time and working on a smaller level would make you more attached to the Holds, ie it'd be your home rather than the place you fast travel to to get the next quest. Venturing into the new territory could also be done in more interesting ways, rather than trekking through forgetable landscape. Joining raiding parties, taking a page out of Far Cry's book and scout out enemy locations using 'watchtowers', even sneaking into cities and spying if your character is that way inclined.

Well I've talked to much and in too many circles for this to make much sense, but basically I like this discussion Deebs! I'm sure I'll have more to say on future entries as well, there's so much that could be done to make Skyrim that much better,

• 1467 posts
    November 15, 2017 9:04 AM EST

Hah, you got me at the perfect time Zonn, was just doing my last-minute check before going to sleep (yeah...that doesn't sound strange) but I had to respond here :D

The reemergence of dragons is a big deal in the game world, I mean they're legends come to life and deserve a dramatic entrance. So while it's definitely cliche to have the BBEG rock up at the very beginning of the game, it'd be hard to come up with a fitting entrance to the race without letting them arrive early, and it'd be even harder if you don't meet Alduin until late in the game. An argument could be made that the fact that you have to go through a few quests before the Watchtower is attacked is fine and is similar in the result, but it doesn't have the same 'oh shit' feeling that Alduin does. Maybe in an early Civil War battle, the first one on the open field or a cool siege or something, a dragon takes the exact opportunity to show up, but unless there's some cool imagery (eclipsing the sun, demolishing a group of soldiers etc) I don't think it would have the same effect, it'd just be prettying up an entrance after all

Man, I don't want to spoil some of the later stuff I'm planning so I'll leave this a little briefer than I'd like (so only like 200 instead of 2000 words :P). Right, so I plan to introduce Dragons and Alduin at a later point in the overall story of the world rather than within...let's say 20-30 minutes (in-game) and 10-15 minutes of play depending on how long you're taking to make a character. But, the first 20+ hours of the game are probably going to be dedicated more to the Civil War, though of course, that could be as many as 200 depending on how much screwing about you do. But around 20 hours if you go from quest to quest quickly, doing all the Civil War side quests. The Civil War itself would also kind of be a bit more awesome in scale, and while not realistic by any standards (because let's be honest, despite it being realistic, the idea of a Fort or City getting captured off-screen is kinda boring compared to being there) it'd be a bit less one-sided once the MC joins the side. You'd have to lose some battles, have to win others and there would be more planning involved. You know, even just simple things like being able to help decide where some supplies should go, or which fort should be reinforced first, that sort of thing. But I'll get into that in the next post :P

For now, just know that I do have plans for the Dragons which I'd argue might be even more epic than Helgen, and definitely more impactful and possibly emotional. Here we're assuming that  Deebthesda (yep) has great writers that make characters interesting, like The Last of Us or Witcher 3 level characters :D

I really like the idea of half the map being basically hostile to you right from the beginning, it adds a sense or progression, makes the Civil War actually feel important and is great for a roleplay. But part of me thinks that it takes away from the core theme of the Elder Scrolls - openness. You can pick whoever you want to be, kill people however you want to be and go wherever you want. It could be argued that 2/3 is still bloody liberal, but I dunno. But if we run with your idea, that I still prefer, I think it would have to be handled verr carefully, e.g:

Honestly, I think Skyrim kind of suffers from being a little too open at times. Fallout 4 is kind of the perfect example of how to give player's freedom and consequences for traveling. I mean technically you can just go anywhere right from the start, but there will be enemies that will tear you to shreds if you journey to the wrong places. You can, however, cleverly make your way around these enemies, and that sort of thing. A character that's dedicated or smart enough will be able to get into the other half of Skyrim, but if they fuck up and get too close to an Imperial patrol, any of the towns, forts or a few extra outposts, they're probably going to die. It's still technically open to you, just harder to deal with. Also it'd edit the issue I have with Fallout 4's system which relies on those super, impossible (or nearly) to kill enemies and has enemies that are more normal, but justifiably hostile ones.

Also, there'd definitely be a slight change to Sneak where there would be Disguise based perks (something that I'm 99% sure could've been worked into the original game since Altmer in Hooded Thalmor Robes can openly walk around the Thalmor Embassy meaning that the actual system is in place for it to be possible) which would make it slightly easier to get around, and you could then maybe make Pickpocketing a little more useful by either adding in Forgery perks (Forging papers I mean) or just making it possible to steal identification of some sort. Could make for a very interesting system I think.

But yeah, basically there would be ways around it, but I do think that it would require some changes to the base mechanics. When paired with your point about fighting Alduin as a Mega-Dragonborn-of-Doom-and-Destruction (shit me, that's going to be my next name if it'll fit :P) it would probably require me detailing a change to the leveling system. But for the most part, combat would probably be harder, perks would change, leveling would be slower...probably an expansion of the perk system (with maybe 2 perk points a level, ways to get bonus perk points and of course, more Perks, as in maybe even more than Ordinator) and some of the game's mechanics, but only in a minor way. It'd still mostly feel like Skyrim, but closer to modded Skyrim I suppose.

But yeah, I have plans for most of what you mentioned, but won't talk about them too in-depth just because I want to leave some suspense for quests later in the game. Nothing earth-shattering, but just somethings that I can imagine being super awesome if they happened in-game rather than me just rambling about them :D

This post was edited by SpookyBorn2021 at November 15, 2017 6:20 PM EST
    • 82 posts
    November 15, 2017 9:48 AM EST

Anyone else find it ironic that you're re-writing Skyrim's main quest, and from the get-go you misspell the first location you go to in-game?

• 77 posts
    November 15, 2017 2:47 PM EST

Very interesting read Mega Deebs.  I agree that making the civil war the focus would have been cool, at least for act 1 introducing the dragons at some point during the war/ revealing them as a much more existential threat tha forces an alliance between the two sides would have been cool for a mid game twist.  Imagine if we had been playing through the civil war for several hours learning about the character of our particular side of the conflict, rising up through the ranks and invading/defending our territories and all the other pretty cool "side" things the quest entails.  Then at some climactic battle, like the sacking of Solitude you find your self on the cusp of victory and then BAM! DRAGONS.  The entive pace of the game takes a sudden turn, and you now have to ally with those you subjugated or have been subjugated by in order to fight off the dragons.  There's alot of interesting dynamics that could have been introduced to the game.  Your cruelty or benevolence as conqueror could come back to bite you making your earlier actions actually have real consequeces and impact on the game world.

And speaking of consequences it would have been great if some of the quests were exclusive, for instance the same character can't be both Harbinger and Archmage.  The Harbinger would be recognized and allowed entrance at the college as a sign of respect but the offer to enroll would never be given (nor would a real harbinger seek it) this would create a real incentive to replay the game and experiance different quests.

• 1467 posts
    November 15, 2017 6:15 PM EST

Anyone else find it ironic that you're re-writing Skyrim's main quest, and from the get-go you misspell the first location you go to in-game?

Nah, I'm changing the name not misspelling it :P It's just my terrible ability to fuck up just about anything I write. I did forget to write the disclaimer about me being a bad writer (which is also why I'm writing a forum post rather than a normal story.)

• 82 posts
    November 15, 2017 6:27 PM EST
    Mega-Dragonborn-of-Doom (1921) said:

Nah, I'm changing the name not misspelling it :P It's just my terrible ability to fuck up just about anything I write. I did forget to write the disclaimer about me being a bad writer (which is also why I'm writing a forum post rather than a normal story.)

Ah okay, it crossed my mind as to whether that was the case or not. Looks intriguing though.
    • 1467 posts
    November 15, 2017 6:30 PM EST

And speaking of consequences it would have been great if some of the quests were exclusive, for instance the same character can't be both Harbinger and Archmage.  The Harbinger would be recognized and allowed entrance at the college as a sign of respect but the offer to enroll would never be given (nor would a real harbinger seek it) this would create a real incentive to replay the game and experiance different quests.

Heh, sorry I'll have to skip the first part Vargr. But if I do end up doing side-quests (which I'd like to do) I'd definitely give almost every guild a realistic amount of exclusivity. For example, a member of the Thieve's Guild, Dark Brotherhood or Volkihar would never be able to join the Companions if you've gotten through some of the quests there. I mean, you have to be known to be part of the guild so a brand new member probably wouldn't have any issues but as soon as you've done a certain quest (or with the DB/TG, if you've been seen with the armour or got caught on a job), you'd be kicked out of a guild.

The Thieve's Guild, Dark Brotherhood and Volkihar are all fine with each other, but none of them can join the Dawnguard or the opposite. To be the leader you'd have to dedicate yourself entirely to the guild...

Dunno, haven't planned it all out yet. 

• 69 posts
    November 16, 2017 10:17 PM EST

Mega-Dragonborn-of-Doom (1921) said:

Heh, sorry I'll have to skip the first part Vargr. But if I do end up doing side-quests (which I'd like to do) I'd definitely give almost every guild a realistic amount of exclusivity. For example, a member of the Thieve's Guild, Dark Brotherhood or Volkihar would never be able to join the Companions if you've gotten through some of the quests there. I mean, you have to be known to be part of the guild so a brand new member probably wouldn't have any issues but as soon as you've done a certain quest (or with the DB/TG, if you've been seen with the armour or got caught on a job), you'd be kicked out of a guild.

The Thieve's Guild, Dark Brotherhood and Volkihar are all fine with each other, but none of them can join the Dawnguard or the opposite. To be the leader you'd have to dedicate yourself entirely to the guild...

Dunno, haven't planned it all out yet. 

Ok, so first of all I love this idea DB. Now Second I'd like to mainly address the second part of this (the bold work) by saying that Town Guards and other officers would be OK with you walking around in Thieves Guild Armor or not? The same for other factions (yes I see the part about being kicked out of the respective Guild that you've offended but what about the Non-Guild types (like the local milita or town guards) would they be hostile attackers? Would they lock you up and take you to jail (maybe have a Trial/Court System if the crime is serious enough? Speech Could come into affect by manipulation of some sort to shorten or get out of a sentence). I see a TON of oppertunities for this subject alone (I don't know what you've got planned and I know you want to postpone the release of some of that information so I can do with a brief synopsis)

Also are the armors that you wear going to be affected by this Disguise perk? (For instance the thing about Thieves' Build armor earlier: could you possibly "disguise" the armor whilst still getting the benefits of it?)

Some of my own thoughts: Maybe have a random encounter of assassins from enemy faction to attack you if you're in the middle of nowhere (sorta like the DB ones we already have I suppose, but equipped with specialized gear (Like the Legion would send out a hooded soldier of sorts [possibility to disguise yourself here as well...] I can't see the Legion hiring out the DB to assassinate a Stormcloak Officer afterall)

I'd also like to see a part in the Main Quest where you could secure Helgen among many of the older keeps and begin reconstruction while fighting off enemy forces at set times perhaps? (Instead of them just sitting around the map in ruins: I feel like they were a waste of potential) In your redition it could be a Civil War Side Quest I suppose. Maybe you could even be awarded Helgen after reaching a certain rank as a reward of sorts and have a personal garrison (instead of getting a million useless weapons and armors from the faction leaders)

Anywho rambling is done, that's really all i can think of for now. :D

• 1467 posts
    November 17, 2017 12:04 AM EST

Ok, so first of all I love this idea DB. Now Second I'd like to mainly address the second part of this (the bold work) by saying that Town Guards and other officers would be OK with you walking around in Thieves Guild Armor or not? The same for other factions (yes I see the part about being kicked out of the respective Guild that you've offended but what about the Non-Guild types (like the local milita or town guards) would they be hostile attackers? Would they lock you up and take you to jail (maybe have a Trial/Court System if the crime is serious enough? Speech Could come into affect by manipulation of some sort to shorten or get out of a sentence). I see a TON of oppertunities for this subject alone (I don't know what you've got planned and I know you want to postpone the release of some of that information so I can do with a brief synopsis)

Hah, there's a lot to go into here Flamez, which is awesome :D Thanks for the compliments and now time to dive in.

So I think that there's a lot of potential for changing how the public reacts to a certain guild based on your characters actions. Generally speaking, only one person in the entire game really seems to hate the Thieve's Guild, and everyone else is more or less fine.

So, walking around in the Dark Brotherhood gear would almost never be acceptable, because...well they're assassins and this isn't Morrowind (with the Morag Tong) so you would probably get arrested by the guards. Not attacked on site unless you were wearing something that clearly displays you as the Listener (the ranks would matter with the DB again) or another high ranking member, which would have them assume you've killed dozens of people. 

The Thieve's Guild has a lot more room for varying opinions. In Riften your absolutely fine at all times because enough of the Guard are corrupt that it doesn't really matter if you go around stealing from people in plain sight. And that can be roped into the whole City Spreading questline that takes place, later on, where you slowly can corrupt cities. I don't want to say that part would be longer, but it'd be more in-depth and involve 0 radiant quests. On the other hand, if you continuously screw up so badly, you can ruin that reputation in a city. Something, like being found guilty of murder or stealing from the Jarl, would lower the cities 'Corruption' or whatever, and you might end up finding yourself in the same situation as a Dark Brotherhood member.

The Companions are mostly fine, but there's some cool Werewolf stuff you can bring in there. Transforming in public now fucks over the Companions and they can lose work or even be destroyed by people if anyone figures out that you (as a member of The Circle) are a Werewolf. It'd probably be more in-depth but that's my quick answer.

No idea how the CoW, Volkihar or Dawnguard would be treated, but it'd be mostly neutral probably. 

Maybe have a Trial/Court System if the crime is serious enough? Speech Could come into affect by manipulation of some sort to shorten or get out of a sentence...

That'd be really cool actually. Yeah I might think about planning that sort of thing later on, because it'd definitely make Speech more viable and make the whole Persuasion/Intimidate/Bribe thing actually a bit more impactful. Might even think about working in contacts (so if you could get a message to Vex she can help out, or maybe your friends with a Jarl who bails you out) and that could be a whole part of the game.

I'll get back to you on the second half of your message, I'm going to have to think about some of that stuff for a little longer.

• 1467 posts
    November 17, 2017 12:41 AM EST

Also are the armors that you wear going to be affected by this Disguise perk? (For instance the thing about Thieves' Build armor earlier: could you possibly "disguise" the armor whilst still getting the benefits of it?)

Some of my own thoughts: Maybe have a random encounter of assassins from enemy faction to attack you if you're in the middle of nowhere (sorta like the DB ones we already have I suppose, but equipped with specialized gear (Like the Legion would send out a hooded soldier of sorts [possibility to disguise yourself here as well...] I can't see the Legion hiring out the DB to assassinate a Stormcloak Officer afterall)

I'd also like to see a part in the Main Quest where you could secure Helgen among many of the older keeps and begin reconstruction while fighting off enemy forces at set times perhaps? (Instead of them just sitting around the map in ruins: I feel like they were a waste of potential) In your redition it could be a Civil War Side Quest I suppose. Maybe you could even be awarded Helgen after reaching a certain rank as a reward of sorts and have a personal garrison (instead of getting a million useless weapons and armors from the faction leaders)

Anywho rambling is done, that's really all i can think of for now. :D

Hah, thanks for getting me to think about this sort of thing Flamez, I swear at this rate we'll basically just end up with a completely unique game that only barely resembles Skyrim :D

So my first thoughts, are that yeah you would eventually be able to disguise armor, but it would be a late-game perk. Probably a 75+ sort of, Mastery of the subject skill-line where you're taking a fairly unique set of armor and disguising it. Earlier, it would probably still require you to wear normal clothes or just normal looking armor while disguising yourself and there would probably be a whole list of rules and modifiers that can affect it, including facial scars and tattoos, but there would probably be a whole 'Fame' system, where you get benefits for being well known  on sight that kind of can make it just as appealing to play a character that's famous in one hold or side, while being so infamous on the other that you cannot disguise yourself because of some sort of easly identifiable trait. Dunno, that'd require a lot of planning, that i just haven't done at the moment.

I like your first idea here, and what I would even possibly suggest is that it could be taken further and those Assassins also have varying degrees of the Disguise skills. That way your fighting a kind of...secretive war, where you never know if someone random is going to end up as an Assassin and that could add a little bit more depth to the Civil War where both forces have limited supplies, limited armies and are just limited greatly by just about everything.

No comment :P (in other words, I've got plans for that).

• 1467 posts
    November 17, 2017 4:55 AM EST

Part 2 is coming up a lot quicker than I thought and should be done by tomorrow. It's also going to hit 3000 words at this rate, so I might cut it into two parts :P

• 248 posts
    November 18, 2017 11:54 PM EST

This is cool DB. I have a question that's sort of related to your project... have you run across any Tvault character builds that more or less ignore the dragons and focus on the Civil War?

• 1467 posts
    November 19, 2017 12:20 AM EST
    This is cool DB. I have a question that's sort of related to your project... have you run across any Tvault character builds that more or less ignore the dragons and focus on the Civil War?
    Man, that's a tough question. I mean, I know there are some but I can't think of any names at the moment. Most builds I can think of will suggest it at the very least since your starting the quest and doing the whole Whiterun chunk anyway.
    Albino's Penitus Oculatus Agent ignores the latter parts of the Main Quest, and it's definitely not the focus for ShinJin's Penitus Mentis Mens, still there but not focused on. The Imperial Legion Battlemage ignores the Main Quest, Zurin Arctus, Imperial Battlemage doesn't really focus on it either.
    There are definitely others, though it seems that Imperial based builds tend to ignore it a little more often than Stormcloaks. Dunno, I just went through the Archives for most of those builds and I could look again later (probably check mostly for some Stormcloak builds to spread it around a bit more)

This post was edited by SpookyBorn2021 at November 19, 2017 12:39 AM EST