Forums » Elder Scrolls

The Glorious Hype Thread for Skyrim Together

• 261 posts
    November 2, 2017 9:14 AM EDT

Quick thread to promote a wonderful, ambitious mod for TESV: Skyrim. Sure, we have ESO to scratch a general "I want Elder Scrolls with more people" itch, but have you ever wandered the market of Whiterun and thought "Damn, I wish I had a friend with me in-game to silence Nazeem for good?" Well, Skyrim Together is a mod for small-scale multiplayer, in the Skyrim engine. Nifty, huh?

Now, multiplayer projects for Skyrim aren't exactly new, but what intrigues me about Together is the progress. They hope- and from what I've seen, it's a real possibility- to launch a stable and full release by the end of this year. That's insane. Now, this works via servers, so we could theoretically have a "Tamriel Vault server" for a grand old time running around killing dragons together. Sadly (though understandably) this mod is only for PC, though it does support Special Edition (and the developers seem to think cross-play is entirely possible!).

More than the obvious perks this could bring, I'm starting to think this could really revolutionize a lot of stuff on our site. Character Building could have Builds meant to be played alongside other players, or even have builds meant to fight other players. Roleplaying and Stories could truly become a joint effort, where two or more people contribute to a single playthrough, a single story. And I'm sure there's other things that haven't occured to me... Overall, if this works like promised, we could potentially have a new era of playing Skyrim upon us.

Here's the link to the reddit page, which has their current progress and a FAQ: Link. What do you all think about this?

• 13 posts
    November 2, 2017 4:25 PM EDT

If this comes out, and works at all, it would be amazing. Like you said, I think it could breath a bit of life into... well, lots of things on this site. I'll be keeping an eye on this.

• 261 posts
    November 2, 2017 4:41 PM EDT

Felkros said:

If this comes out, and works at all, it would be amazing. Like you said, I think it could breath a bit of life into... well, lots of things on this site. I'll be keeping an eye on this.

I can only begin to imagine the possibilities. Having more players in a single game particularly changes the approach to Character Building. Sure, you have Followers in Skyrim, but even the most advanced Bethesda or modder AI cannot compete with another keyboard by your virtual side in terms of tactics. Just imagine a bona-fide party of adventurers, each filling a different role; healers and thieves and barbarians, oh my. Or even a group of characters with similar tactics, and one trait to set them apart (an example being a group of warriors, each specializing in a different weapon or armor style). And let's not forget PvP; even beyond the obvious builds one could do for one-on-one dueling, what if you have two opposing parties that compete against one another? Or perhaps a free-for-all "Last Man Standing" taking place throughout the length of Skyrim?

Hell, I'm so hyped for this, I may just list various unofficial "game modes" I think up. I'll see what I come up with.

• 261 posts
    November 2, 2017 5:17 PM EDT

Alright-o! Here's my list of possible game modes for a multiplayer Skyrim experience!

Multi-Session PvE: Long playthroughs, requiring multiple sessions, where all PCs are allied with one another.

-Adventurers: A small group (max. 8 players) run around tackling the various quests and dungeons Skyrim offers together, leveling and adventuring together. Simple but fun.

-Seekers: A small group (max. 7 players) try to complete a specific Quest line (i.e Main Quest, Dark Brotherhood, etc.) or achieve a specific goal (like getting all the Daedric goodies).

-Adventurers Guild: A large group (probably a good idea to have a max. of 24 or so players), which otherwise functions like Adventurers mode.

-Seekers Guild: A large group (again, around 24 players max.) focus on a speciic goal like the Seekers mode.

Single-Session PvP: Short battles between two teams of PCs, or free-for-alls.

-Team Skirmish: Two small groups (5-10 players) choose an "Arena". This can be pretty much anywhere in Skyrim they deem fit, though many places can be roughly divided into Small Arenas (e.g a common dungeon or a Jarl's palace), Medium Arenas (e.g the streets of a city like Whiterun) or Large Arenas (e.g Soul Cairn or Blackreach). The combatants use the console to get necessary skills and gear, and kill each other until one team is left standing.

-Skirmish: Like Team Skirmish, but without the teams. Have fun...

Multi-Session PvP: Long playthroughs, requiring multiple sessions, where PCs fight in teams or free-for-all.

-Team Warfare: Two large groups (around 24-40 players), similarly to Team Skirmish, must eliminate the entire enemy team, using the console for skills and gear. The twist is that the whole of Skyrim is the Arena.

-Relic Warfare: Again, two large groups (around 24-40 players) use the console for skills and gear. Now, however, both teams have a "base" such as a city or cleared dungeon, and a "relic", which can be any in-game item. They must attempt to get the enemy relic to their base, while defending their relic from the same fate. Unlike other PvP modes, respawns are allowed (and will probably be necessary!). Depending on the distance between bases, may or may not be doable in one session.

-The Hunger Games: Free-for-All Skirmish, only with a large group and the whole map as an Arena. Should be fun, right?

-Rival Adventurers: Adventurers, only there's two small groups that compete in some fashion against each ohter. Also comes in Guilds variant!

-Rival Seekers: Seekers, only, again, there's two groups competing with each other. Also comes in Guilds variant!

Damn, this is inspiring! Anyone else have a nifty game mode?

• 284 posts
    November 2, 2017 8:24 PM EDT

This is great. Breathing new life into Skyrim this way is awesome. Imagine playing out the stories in TSC. Or writing a story this way. An awesome thing would be if they somehow implement a duel system from ESO, so you don't die in a battle with other players, only surrender. It would take the build deathmatch to another level.

• 284 posts
    November 2, 2017 8:27 PM EDT

People will however, have to synch their mod lists to share the same experience.

• 261 posts
    November 2, 2017 8:52 PM EDT
    @DeltaFox All PCs are set to Essential (characters dying would complicate the world syncronizations), and I understand PCs can the revived or respawn somewhere else. Therefore, it's perfectly possible to have a "friendly" duel like ESO. As for syncing mod lists, well, that was always a given.
    • 585 posts
    November 3, 2017 5:37 AM EDT

This looks mental, and I'm livid that I can't participate (damn Xbox not being a PC). I'm really interested in 'Skirmish' and 'Warfare' modes just because they'd be absolute chaos, glorious glorious chaos. But guilds are also cool, hunting down particular artefacts or going on a grand quest together, it'd make Skyrim feel so more real. And imagine doing a Civil War quest with all your buddies, finally sieges would actually feel meaty! Or Team Warfare but on a Civil War siege, with each team in the gear of a side. The RP potential is huge!

• 261 posts
    November 3, 2017 9:36 AM EDT
    TBH, Im really hyped for my Hunger Games concept. Let's just say I have a few ideas for how Tamriel Vault could host such an event...
    • 69 posts
    November 5, 2017 10:15 PM EST

I've totally seen this floating around and was going to post a topic about it, but as is my nature I completely forgot :P

Glad you brought this to attention Tene! (unfortunately I'm in the same boat as Zonnonn, damned Console lol) If this does become fleshed out I'd love to see some gameplay from our local Vault streamers and such :D

• 457 posts
    November 8, 2017 12:41 PM EST

Just. Insanely. Cool!

Man, some of my fondest memories on this site has been collaborating on builds with other Vault members. But to actually play the game with them? It would be an honor beyond my meager ability to describe :D

FlamezSword said:

If this does become fleshed out I'd love to see some gameplay from our local Vault streamers and such :D

I can see it now: *throws popcorn at the screen* "Aaaaand ShinJin just paused to open another empty urn!" (aside from my lack of tech and time, this is the one thing that keeps me from streaming my games xD

BTW, look for this thread on the TV Twitter page sometime after lunch (Pacific Standard Time) ;D

• 284 posts
    November 8, 2017 5:15 PM EST

It is amazing, isn't it? I hope something like this awaits Fallout 4 as well.

• 261 posts
    November 28, 2017 6:13 AM EST
    • 261 posts
    November 29, 2017 6:36 AM EST
    Thanks to ShinJin for the Twitter shout out!
    • 457 posts
    November 29, 2017 11:28 AM EST

Oh, I live to give... besides, the awesome factor for this is extremely high. I don't play a lot of multiplayer games, but I have fond memories of the few times some buddies and I logged into the battlenet to play Diablo II together, or a couple times a friend brought a few of us to his work after hours in order to network the computers together and play Halo.

But to do that playing Skyrim... suh-weeeet! ;D

• 1467 posts
    January 29, 2019 8:11 AM EST

So, I was browsing the internet thingy and ran into a progress update on Skyrim Together. It actually seems really, really promising with various Betas starting up soon. Obviously the immediete thought I've had is how interesting it could be in regards to building. The sheer idea of Multiplayer Building is fascinating, running characters that might work towards the same goals, parties or even opposing characters who are hunting each other down for whatever reason. The storytelling potential is definitely there, and I think we could see combat take an interesting turn as well. Ramp the difficulty up to 11 and create a proper party to play in a modded world...Just sounds amazing.

What do you guys think? Anything really stick out to you about the video, mod or just the idea in general?