Forums » The Lounge

POLL Your favourite fantasy world?

• 773 posts
    November 1, 2017 7:48 AM EDT

Hi folks and welcome to the November poll

Something different this month - rather than something specifcally about Elder Scrolls we are going to be thinking about fantasy worlds in general. The question before us: Which is YOUR favourite fantasy world?

In the poll we have a decent selection of fantasy settings from popular literature, TV and gaming. Or you can argue the case for another one in the thread below

Vote and comment -and I look forward to your views

• 288 posts
    November 1, 2017 7:54 AM EDT

My favourite fantasy worlds are the one I create in my head :P

• 82 posts
    November 1, 2017 10:35 AM EDT
    Tamriel for me. It's the one I'm most familiar with and enjoy learning about, and there's just so much detail and thought put into it.
    • 457 posts
    November 1, 2017 12:43 PM EDT

Hmmm. Tough call. My introduction to fantasy was either Tolkien's Middle Earth or something that was largely inspired by it, so Middle Earth has a pretty strong hold on me.

But I also like some of the earthier world-builders as well. I think Pratchett's Discworld is a perfect blend: not so gritty I feel terrible reading it, but not so idyllic or grand in scope that I have difficulty immersing myself in it.

• 743 posts
    November 1, 2017 1:44 PM EDT

I love Westeros and Tamriel, but Middle Earth is where it started for me. I'll have to go with my nostalgia. 

• 585 posts
    November 1, 2017 2:02 PM EDT

Rogue said:

I love Westeros and Tamriel, but Middle Earth is where it started for me. I'll have to go with my nostalgia. 

Exactly my thinking. I've spent more time in Westeros and Tamriel, but there's something about Middle Earth that nothing else can touch. Mabe because it was first? Genre defining? Dunno, but I can't get enough of the place.

• 284 posts
    November 1, 2017 4:11 PM EDT

Middle-Earth. Sorry TES, but you wouldn't be the same without it. Fantasy became a big and important genre because of the power of the One Ring.

• 275 posts
    November 1, 2017 5:52 PM EDT

Tough call. If it were my favorite fantasy galaxy I'd choose the Milky Way from Mass Effect without a doubt. When it comes to a singular world though I'd have to choose Thedas from Dragon Age, I love that place so much.

• 1467 posts
    November 1, 2017 8:09 PM EDT

Hmm fuck me, this is a hard one. I'd say out of all of the ones on the list, that Middle Earth and Star Wars are just too tight for me to decide, but I'll end up going Middle Earth because of the whole Disney scrapped the Expanded Universe thing, and really that's where most of the really good stuff comes from. But then, Middle Earth might actually just be too deep for me to vote for, I've never really gotten that into it but I do enjoy it more than most of the others. Oooh shit, didn't notice Forgotten Realms, alright that's going to have to top Middle Earth then.

Though if I were going off the poll, I'd have to make a case for the world of Type-Moon, probably just as fleshed out as some of the larger ones (beats Oz, Narnia, Hyrule and Westeros in terms of scope as far as I know, but I don't think it's possible to get upto Middle Earth in terms of how fleshed out everything is), but I just enjoy it more because of the central stories. 

• 261 posts
    November 1, 2017 8:39 PM EDT

Heh. Though from the answers in the thread, my answer is Tamriel, I can't definitively say it's my all-time favorite. Y'see, I grew up with another series, and despite it's simplicity the world always struck me as amazing. I'm talking about the Pokemon games, actually. Sure, they're kiddy, but with each generation the story gets more and more intricate. Hell, Sun and Moon may seem happy-go-lucky stories set in a Hawaii expy, but what about the bona-fide Lovecraftian monsters that come from another dimension? Or how said beings corrupted a mother enough to try and kill her child? But more than that, there's a surprising amount of elaborate lore in the games, mostly fromt the Pokedex entries. Bet you didn't know that a sentient chandelier is among the deadliest things in the world, eh? Also, apart of course from the villain teams, it's a very idyllic world. Sure, there's the obvious perk of riding a dragon to work, but a huge amount of people in the world are nice tp the player, and to each other, and that's something our world could learn from.

Just... Stay away from the Pokemon anime, especially past the first few seasons.

• 20 posts
    November 2, 2017 12:01 AM EDT

I have to throw a vote down for Tamriel. Before the Elder Scrolls series, I didn't get too into fantasy, I mainly stuck to real life history, vikings and knights and renaissance men and their fancy tights and whatnot, so TES was my first. But even more than that, before TES the only video games I had ever really played were Pokemon, Minecraft, FATE, and the Zoo Tycoon series (all of which are still extremely fun for me to play every once in a while). TES was my transistion into both the fantasy genre and more mature and intense gaming, so it'll always hold a special place in my heart. It's also the series I know the most about, really getting deep into the lore of everything I could imagine.

I do have to put a nod to Middle Earth in there though. I actually didn't even really know about it until after I played Skyrim and started my journey into the fantasy genre. I might have known about the illustrious Bilbo Baggins and Gandalf beforehand, but otherwise it didn't mean much to me. When I finally saw the movies (I never manage to finish reading books) they blew me away, my mom had all the extended cuts and I had the flew so we binge watched them in 3 days. When I work on making my own fantasy world, sometimes I'm surprised by how much influence I take from Tolkein without knowing it. He truly did set the standard for high fantasy. Still, nothing can overtake the Elder Scrolls universe in my heart, I owe a lot of who I am as a gamer to that series.

• 44 posts
    November 2, 2017 6:31 AM EDT

Middle Earth (and Tamriel) for me.

Middle Earth for the love of Tolkien's work, elves and beautiful lands. It also made me write my own fantasy story.

I love Tamriel, too. It started with Morrowind (was fiirst fantasy game) and Dunmers.

• 649 posts
    November 2, 2017 7:03 AM EDT

1. Steven Erikson´s Malazan universe

2. Sapkowski´s Witcher universe

3. Elder Scrolls

4. Everything else.

• 278 posts
    November 2, 2017 7:35 PM EDT

1. Middle-Earth

2. Elder Scrolls

3. Westeros

4. Witcher (novels)

• 55 posts
    November 2, 2017 7:53 PM EDT
    In no order Tamriel, Warhammer Fantasy, Witcher, Middle-earth, and my own world I have been writing and working on: Vorius. :)
    • 167 posts
    November 4, 2017 12:57 AM EDT

What have you done with this poll Paul :D I 'm not sure if I will be able to decide and vote for one of them in the end, I mean Forgotten Realms? Middle Earth? Tamriel? Azeroth? I 'm just an adventurer how could I chose one of them?! :P

• 275 posts
    November 4, 2017 3:35 PM EDT

Where is the poll? There's a section on the right of the main page dedicated to the "November Poll" but all it has is a "web survey" link.

Edit: Nevermind. Apparently Google Chrome was blocking some scripts.

This post was edited by Ebonslayer at November 4, 2017 3:37 PM EDT
    • 558 posts
    November 4, 2017 9:42 PM EDT

I gotta go with Lordran/the Dark Souls Universe. It is more mature than Middle Earth (or, at least, what little I know of it; Jesus vs. Sauron or something) and I like its hoplessness and perversion over Tamriel's variety.

• 69 posts
    November 5, 2017 10:11 PM EST

I'm absolutely thrilled by the Middle Earth: LOTR fantasy (having watched all three of the movies, talking about the VCRs that came in that big packet the Two Towers to be more specific straight in a row with practically no break lol) and TES is definetely an interesting choice, but I gotta say I've gotten into Naruto pretty recently and I just can't get enough of it! So that has to take the cake for me. The games I haven't really played much except for Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm, but for an older game it was fantastic.

• 457 posts
    November 6, 2017 8:58 AM EST

It's cool how many people have voted for Tamriel so far :D

BTW, this poll has made the site's Twitter page ;D

• 288 posts
    November 6, 2017 9:10 AM EST

Well, the ES universe is the most elaborate of the listed. It has a bundle of interesting races and characters, a rather gray moral outlook (instead of the standard good vs bad division) - for example you have gods, you have daedric princes that are supposed to be the bad guys and most of them are, but some are funny, and others, like Meridia, could be percieved even as good, however Meridia is an enemy of Vivec and Vivec is also kind of cool and can also be percieved as a hero god, etc.; combine this with the concept of the Dwemer and their machinery, the dragons and the Thu'um, the various guilds and organizations....and you get a combinations that is hard to match.

• 457 posts
    November 6, 2017 12:07 PM EST

Overhate said:

Well, the ES universe is the most elaborate of the listed. It has a bundle of interesting races and characters, a rather gray moral outlook (instead of the standard good vs bad division) - for example you have gods, you have daedric princes that are supposed to be the bad guys and most of them are, but some are funny, and others, like Meridia, could be percieved even as good, however Meridia is an enemy of Vivec and Vivec is also kind of cool and can also be percieved as a hero god, etc.; combine this with the concept of the Dwemer and their machinery, the dragons and the Thu'um, the various guilds and organizations....and you get a combinations that is hard to match.

That's exactly it! You know, I've never really stopped to think what it is that draws me to the ES universe... and now I don't have to ;D xD

• 25 posts
    November 8, 2017 12:39 PM EST

In no particular order: Middle Earth, Krynn (DragonLance), Dinotopia, Tamriel.

• 140 posts
    November 15, 2017 8:26 AM EST

It's really a close one between Tamriel and Middle-Earth (With Westeros coming in an easy third), but I think ME might just take the cake. It's close, but I just think that without it, the fantasy genre could have been a whole lot different. Plus the LotR movies practicaly introduced me to the world(s) of fantasy, so nostalgia's a pretty big factor too.

• November 17, 2017 7:52 AM EST

I picked Star Wars Universe mainly because it was the only Sci-Fi one on the list.