Forums » Elder Scrolls

How did you...

• 1595 posts
    October 20, 2017 5:40 PM EDT

With the Glarthir quest I played it once and after that the way I went about it in future was to avoid it altogether :D I exaggerate but it's really been too long since I played that to remember specifics, but I do recall that he died each time I did play it after attacking the captain of the guard or something. Is it possible for him to survive the quest? if so, shame.

Mostly quests like that depend on the character I'm playing. In TES IV if it involved a Bosmer I would flat out ignore it, save the Fighters Guild quests. I can't remember how many times I lied for Maglir but never again!

This post was edited by Paws at October 20, 2017 5:44 PM EDT
    • 457 posts
    October 20, 2017 6:35 PM EDT

Paws said:

I can't remember how many times I lied for Maglir but never again!

Maglir... the little fetcher!

I think you and I are very much alike with those poor little wood elves. I felt horrible having to cut down Glarthir (in fact I kept running away from him to avoid all that unpleasantness (not much honor in hewing down and insane wood elf)). And as for Maglir, I'd lie and lie for him every time hoping that maybe things would somehow turn out different, and then be furious by his sudden but inevitable betrayal xD

Okay. You're a low-level character on the road. You see three "Imperial Soldiers" walking up to you, the leader of this group is an Orc who demands a "tax" from you. How do you all play this one? Call me obstinate, but even though I know I'm gonna get my butt handed to me several times (that Orc hits hard and the mage keeps blasting away like crazy), I quicksave before the approach, tell them all to eat dirt and die, and hope for the best. I have never, not once, been able to get myself to hand over the money and be on my way. I don't know exactly what that says about me, but I doubt it's anything good xD

• 82 posts
    October 20, 2017 10:09 PM EDT

Paws said:

With the Glarthir quest I played it once and after that the way I went about it in future was to avoid it altogether :D I exaggerate but it's really been too long since I played that to remember specifics, but I do recall that he died each time I did play it after attacking the captain of the guard or something. Is it possible for him to survive the quest? if so, shame.

Mostly quests like that depend on the character I'm playing. In TES IV if it involved a Bosmer I would flat out ignore it, save the Fighters Guild quests. I can't remember how many times I lied for Maglir but never again!

I do not believe there is a way for Glarthir to survive, no.

Yeah. when Oblivion wanted to make an NPC seem like a jerk, they did a pretty godd job with it.

• 82 posts
    October 20, 2017 10:12 PM EDT

ShinJin said:

Paws said:

I can't remember how many times I lied for Maglir but never again!

Maglir... the little fetcher!

I think you and I are very much alike with those poor little wood elves. I felt horrible having to cut down Glarthir (in fact I kept running away from him to avoid all that unpleasantness (not much honor in hewing down and insane wood elf)). And as for Maglir, I'd lie and lie for him every time hoping that maybe things would somehow turn out different, and then be furious by his sudden but inevitable betrayal xD

Okay. You're a low-level character on the road. You see three "Imperial Soldiers" walking up to you, the leader of this group is an Orc who demands a "tax" from you. How do you all play this one? Call me obstinate, but even though I know I'm gonna get my butt handed to me several times (that Orc hits hard and the mage keeps blasting away like crazy), I quicksave before the approach, tell them all to eat dirt and die, and hope for the best. I have never, not once, been able to get myself to hand over the money and be on my way. I don't know exactly what that says about me, but I doubt it's anything good xD

That's what I did my first time with the quest as well.

Wait, which game is this from?

• 457 posts
    October 21, 2017 2:12 AM EDT

One of Skyrim's random encounters is with 3 imposter Imperials. Their leader (an Orc) tries to shake you down for some gold. Maybe I'm just unlucky, but I run into them in almost every playthrough xD

• 82 posts
    October 21, 2017 3:59 AM EDT

ShinJin said:

One of Skyrim's random encounters is with 3 imposter Imperials. Their leader (an Orc) tries to shake you down for some gold. Maybe I'm just unlucky, but I run into them in almost every playthrough xD

Wow, I don't think I've ever had that happen to me, and I've played Skyrim for at least 100 hours.

• 1595 posts
    October 21, 2017 4:19 AM EDT
    Loopdiss said:

ShinJin said:

Wow, I don't think I've ever had that happen to me, and I've played Skyrim for at least 100 hours.

These guys are a real ball-ache at low level. Like Shin, though, my pride or sense what's right and wrong always asserts itself when I meet them. I will reload that quicksave and flip that coin time and time again, hoping that the next toss will end with the coin landing on its edge and me victorious. Smilodon made the encounter a bit easier if I land the first strike and use unrelenting force, but unless I have an armoured troll with me, I am so out matched most of the time :D
    • 203 posts
    October 21, 2017 6:36 AM EDT

The first time I came across those three bastards I could see the bodies of the soldiers they were impersonating laying in some bushes just behind them. So, yeah... Quick hint for anyone impersonating a tax officer: don't let the mark see the bodies of the actual tax collectors, makes it really hard for your mark to take you seriously.

I either run or kill them all, depends a bit on the character. It could be fun to actually roleplay someone who actually falls for it and play around with that idea a bit.

• 585 posts
    October 21, 2017 7:57 AM EDT

ShinJin said:

I'm exactly the same. I mean c'mon mate, you're gonna pretend to be a soldier when I can clearly see 3 starkers bodies just behind you? Nah, you're getting you're face melted mate (or, more accurately, you're getting tickled my my weak Flames spell then lead into a group of bandits who'll kill you for me).

• 82 posts
    October 24, 2017 1:35 AM EDT
    Seems literally everyone but me has run into these guys at one point.
    This post was edited by Loopdiss at October 24, 2017 1:36 AM EDT
    • 82 posts
    October 30, 2017 10:13 PM EDT

Here's another one: 

How did you go about the quest, Whodunit? Or rather, how do you normally go through it? Who do you kill first? Who did you kill last?

• 457 posts
    October 31, 2017 10:40 AM EDT

Loopdiss said:

Here's another one: 

How did you go about the quest, Whodunit? Or rather, how do you normally go through it? Who do you kill first? Who did you kill last?

Crud! It's been ages since I've played Oblivion (and even then I rarely went the assassin route), but I loved that quest... so devious :D

I can't remember the order I went about it, but because I'm all about dose bonuses, I know that I took care of them singly, quickly, and quietly. All I know is that I'd keep chatting the guests up, raising their disposition, and if the dialogue would get them to go someplace alone, I'd meet them there instead. Or if I happened to run across someone by him or herself, I'd do the deed quickly

I'm with you, though. I'd love to see how different people handled that quest :D

• 82 posts
    October 31, 2017 9:30 PM EDT
    ShinJin said:

Loopdiss said:

Here's another one: 

Crud! It's been ages since I've played Oblivion (and even then I rarely went the assassin route), but I loved that quest... so devious :D

I can't remember the order I went about it, but because I'm all about dose bonuses, I know that I took care of them singly, quickly, and quietly. All I know is that I'd keep chatting the guests up, raising their disposition, and if the dialogue would get them to go someplace alone, I'd meet them there instead. Or if I happened to run across someone by him or herself, I'd do the deed quickly

I'm with you, though. I'd love to see how different people handled that quest :D

Seems everyone loves it. EVERYONE

Nice, so, similar to how I would go about it.

Good to know, thanks for posting.
    This post was edited by Loopdiss at October 31, 2017 9:31 PM EDT