Forums » The Lounge

Shadow of War or the Witcher 3?

• 278 posts
    October 16, 2017 1:23 AM EDT

The Witcher 3 or Shadow of War?

I'm saving up to get a game for christmas this year *gonna spoil myself :)* but I can't decide which. Obviouslly Witcher 3 is far more critically acclaimed, but I absolutely adore the Middle-Earth and Tolkien lore to another level, but at the same time, I've enjoyed the Witcher books and I'm not sure which to get. Thoughts?

• 284 posts
    October 16, 2017 1:39 AM EDT

I'd definetly go with the Witcher 3. The world is amazing, the monsters are awesome (this is coming from someone very familiar with the mythos seeing as Poles and Croats draw their mythos from the Slavic source) and the characters are just wow. At the end of the game I thought that one of the characters was going to die based on my decisions so I restarted the whole game, because earlier I was on a gaming spree and didn't save to closer point. And the DLC are awesome. Blood and Wine could be a game itself with a big world, great quests, armor and an amazing villain.

• 1595 posts
    October 16, 2017 2:52 AM EDT

Witcher 3 is one of the best games I have ever played. Haven't played Shadow of War so am biased, but a game must be near-as-dammit perfect to top W3.

• 278 posts
    October 16, 2017 3:33 AM EDT

Of course you would ;)

• 773 posts
    October 16, 2017 12:01 PM EDT

Paws said:

Witcher 3 is one of the best games I have ever played. Haven't played Shadow of War so am biased, but a game must be near-as-dammit perfect to top W3.

^This

Like Phil I've never played Shadow of War but if it even comes close to the majesty that is Witcher 3, then I want to play it as soon as possible.

• 585 posts
    October 16, 2017 12:42 PM EDT

I'm on exactly the same page as Phil. I haven't played Shadow of War (have played Shadow of Mordor though), but Witcher 3 is on another level. I did bloody love Shadow of Mordor for the Tolkien aspect though, so if you really, really love Tolkien I'd definitely go with that. The fact is there both games, but purely based on gameplay and not setting I'd go for Witcher 3.

• 743 posts
    October 16, 2017 1:03 PM EDT

Two games I really want to get into but haven't quite had the time yet. I've been saying for the past 2 years that I wanted to pick up the Witcher 3, yet I still haven't. I plan to buy both games later this year. As for Shadow of War, I have played the first one, Mordor, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The Tolkien aspect is amazing, to say the least.

• 278 posts
    October 16, 2017 5:39 PM EDT

I'm leaning moreso towards Witcher 3 (wolf mask does help :D) but the tolkien aspect of SHadow of War is calling me. Maybe pray to gaben for steam sale?

• 627 posts
    October 16, 2017 5:46 PM EDT

Tanuki said:

I'm leaning moreso towards Witcher 3 (wolf mask does help :D) but the tolkien aspect of SHadow of War is calling me. Maybe pray to gaben for steam sale?

No need to wait for a steam sale, GOG has the entire Witcher series on sale at the moment, the Witcher 3 GOTY edition is 60% off.

• 275 posts
    October 16, 2017 5:53 PM EDT

If Shadow Of War is anything like old Shadow Of Mordor then I'd say get that. It's just too much fun to rush into an army of 200 orcs and proceed to decapitate each last one of the bastards.

• 558 posts
    October 16, 2017 6:29 PM EDT

I was not a fan of W3. It has the quest progression of an MMO: just chasing the same person for the whole game and doing every quest in the town that you end up in. Rinse and repeat.

I haven't played Shadow of War, but I enjoyed Shadow of Mordor a lot. If you like open worlds, parkour, and badass ways to kill orcs, then I would get Shadow of War (assuming it is anything like the original). 

I didn't read the Witcher books, so you might get extra enjoyment from W3. On the other hand, if you like Tolkien, you would get extra enjoyment from SoW. 

If I was you, I'd get Shadow of War. 

• 1467 posts
    October 16, 2017 7:23 PM EDT

I was just about to mention the GoG sale but Goldie mentioned it already so... I'll just link it so if your on PC I'd consider buying it if you can (HERE'S THE LINK).

So, I'm really conflicted on what to recommend here. Technically I've played more Witcher 3 but that's just because the game is about a billion times longer than Shadow of Mordor (I've 100% completed SoM faster than I've barely completed the Witcher 3) especially with the DLC that I've never played. I also just enjoy the story of the Witcher 3, but I have a lot of issues re-playing it and have only managed a single playthrough as opposed to three for SoM. And while I haven't heard any of the post-release opinions on Shadow of War but I just can't imagine it possibly be any worse than Shadow of Mordor

Have you played the first two Witcher games? Because they really something that can be rather difficult to get into because the combat is kinda weird...not bad but it can be really difficult to get into. But if you've already played Shadow of Mordor and enjoyed the gameplay there then you'll probably enjoy Shadow of War's even more...I dunno man, I'd be 50/50 myself but yeah it all depends on the combat, I'd recommend watching a few gameplay videos if you can and decide after that, because The Witcher really is just a bit of a different game.

• 1467 posts
    October 16, 2017 7:23 PM EDT

I was just about to mention the GoG sale but Goldie mentioned it already so... I'll just link it so if your on PC I'd consider buying it if you can (HERE'S THE LINK).

So, I'm really conflicted on what to recommend here. Technically I've played more Witcher 3 but that's just because the game is about a billion times longer than Shadow of Mordor (I've 100% completed SoM faster than I've barely completed the Witcher 3) especially with the DLC that I've never played. I also just enjoy the story of the Witcher 3, but I have a lot of issues re-playing it and have only managed a single playthrough as opposed to three for SoM. And while I haven't heard any of the post-release opinions on Shadow of War but I just can't imagine it possibly be any worse than Shadow of Mordor

Have you played the first two Witcher games? Because they really something that can be rather difficult to get into because the combat is kinda weird...not bad but it can be really difficult to get into. But if you've already played Shadow of Mordor and enjoyed the gameplay there then you'll probably enjoy Shadow of War's even more...I dunno man, I'd be 50/50 myself but yeah it all depends on the combat, I'd recommend watching a few gameplay videos if you can and decide after that, because The Witcher really is just a bit of a different game.

• 278 posts
    October 16, 2017 7:47 PM EDT

I'm gonna go with Witcher 3, probably try and use the little crossbow as much as I can to mimic using a bow :P

This post was edited by Wulfhedinn at October 16, 2017 10:03 PM EDT