Forums » Elder Scrolls

Skyrim: Survival

• 71 posts
    September 29, 2017 6:47 PM EDT

Well, with the recent news that Skyrim will be receiving a seemingly Fallout-inspired survival mode, I figured I best make a forum for discussion as it pertains to such. I'm pretty excited; as a console player I never got to enjoy Frostfall, and I loved my time with survival on FO4. I'm really looking forward to jumping back into Skyrim, this time necessarily paying attention to weather and hunger; my roleplaying can only stand to improve! 

All this being said, I can't help but feel that my willingness to continually go back to Skyrim only serves to mitigate the perceived want for TES6 in Bethesda's eyes; if people keep buying Skyrim repackaged, they'll keep selling it. Which of course leads into the controversy here - apparently the survival update won't be free, as it's a part of the controversial creation club, or whatever (I play on ps4, so mods are still mostly foreign to me). 

Something was mentioned about the first week being free to download, after which a price would be affixed to the update. I have no idea how this will work for players on ps4, but would appreciate being kept in the loop so that I can grab it while it's still going for nothing! 

How do you guys feel about the update announcement? Excited to play a polished (ie not "moddy feeling") survival mode in Skyrim? Or, are you jaded about the price/creation club affiliation? 

This post was edited by Delidas at September 29, 2017 6:48 PM EDT
    • 1441 posts
    September 29, 2017 7:00 PM EDT

I'm glad. The survival mods for PS4, thanks to external scripts not beinbg allowed, are bare-bones. The craftable camping equipment is preety gucci 

• 295 posts
    September 29, 2017 7:01 PM EDT

I am currently playing the Beta on PC and if you download it during the free span of time, I think it's yours to keep, so that is a good thing and therefore, I am not jaded. Follow the rules, do the download, and you are good to go. Will they do more things? Of course they will and they will not be free either. It only contributes to my theory that ES 6 is a long, long, long way off. 

Now, my feelings on the actual mechanics of the additions are mixed. I like the ideas, because I've played with survival mods in the past and I play FO on Survival. After eating 26 apples, however, to restore my hunger, I was left scratching my head. Twenty. Six. Apples. That's a lot of fucking apples.

It's the timescale. All the needs mods I've every worked with messed with the timescale a bit, so you're not stuffing your face every five minutes. It broke immersion for me. I also disliked that I had to make a seperate 'Hot" stew with different ingredients. Stew is hot, soup is hot. Except apparently not in Skyrim Survival. Skyrim soup is gazpacho, until you add fire salts and then it's soup. A bit immersion breaking if you are standing over the cooking pot to make the soup or stew. And dammit, what if you're just a farmer or something? You can't make fire salt hot soup becaue you can't afford fire salts. 

The FO mechanic is a bit different, so I didn't feel like I was constantly eating. Two small items usually got me out of peckish into alright. I had to eat four apples to get out of that stage. Maybe I'm not a pig, but four apples pretty much makes me full. 

I also think the frostfall mechanics is potentially bad for mages. So I now, to be warm, need to wear armor? What if I want to be a mage? Can mages cast a spell to keep them warm like Frostfall added? That bothers me because it potentially forces gameplay in a game where if I want to be a Punching pussy I can be. Can't I put on a cloak? 

I was alright with the UI, wasn't too hard to read or figure out. I disagree with Riften's designation though. It's a plateau, the higher elevation should make it colder than parts of the Eastmarch which are in a valley. 

I am willing to give a more extended try though. 

• 1467 posts
    September 29, 2017 7:19 PM EDT

Honestly, for me, it's purely the sad case that this is being sold rather than just updated into the game. It feels kind of scummy even if it is a decent sign for what might pop in the Creation Kit (i.e. better level content). I don't think I'd get it on PS4, though I'd probably greatly enjoy it if it was an updater rather than a Creation Club thing, just because I'm so against what they've done with CC so far.

• 87 posts
    September 29, 2017 9:31 PM EDT
    Why would I waste money on survival mode when I can get a free version that is made with so much more care and is a thousand times better? Yes, I’m talking about Frostfall.
    This post was edited by Decumus Scotti at September 29, 2017 9:32 PM EDT
    • 585 posts
    September 30, 2017 4:26 AM EDT

I don't know anything about the mechanics but the thought at least I appreciate. It's funny that in games like Destiny its acceptable to be releasing payed content years after release, but for Skyrim its a lot less acceptable, maybe its a genre thing? But I don't really mind, contrary to popular opinion. I mean the fact that there's already loads of mods out there that does the same thing whcih are free bothers me a bit, but at the end of the day Bethesda have to make money.

• 284 posts
    September 30, 2017 7:17 AM EDT

Survival mode for Skyrim on PS4 would be awesome, but without the scripts that Frostfall has, it wouldn't be the same. I'm not saying you shouldn't get it, it just won't be the same as the excellent Frostfall, which you can almost always find in a top 10 mods list.

• 104 posts
    October 1, 2017 5:13 PM EDT

I used the extended INeed Mod for consoles, it was a disaster I found myself constantly hungry and thirsty no matter how much I ate or drank, also my health and stamina continued to suffer badly, needless to say I didn't like it.  Bethesda are blind if they cant see by now that Skyrim has had its day in the spotrlight, yes creation club is there if you wish to use it, I do not they have had all the cash they are getting from me, I mean seriously 50.00 quid for the privilidge of being able to download and use Mods for a Gmae are they mad?.  So no survival Mode for me unless its totally free even then I will take some persuading to play it, I am bored sensless with Skyrim its as simple as that.