Forums » General Gaming

Pyre - Supergiant Games

• 1217 posts
    September 14, 2017 8:36 PM EDT

Pyre characters

Anyone played it? Thoughts on the story, characters, gameplay, music? Favorite moments? Hardest choices?

• 100 posts
    September 16, 2017 8:50 PM EDT
    Haven't played it myself, but the developers make some great indie games (Bastion, Transistor). I'm not a huge sports fan so I haven't tried this one but I'm sure the devs made something utterly unique again. Transistor was addictive. Good to see ya btw Boro!
    • 1217 posts
    September 16, 2017 10:14 PM EDT

Thanks Casey! I haven't had the chance to play Bastion, but Transistor was a fantastic game. Normally I can't stand sports games, either, but I found that Pyre implemented its gameplay in a way that was just as interesting and engaging as Transistor.

• 100 posts
    September 16, 2017 10:46 PM EDT
    Oh nice, so you've got it and have been playing? I had a feeling Pyre had to be more than the sum of apparent parts. Transistor was too good to be a fluke, I knew Supergiant was a dev to watch. What are your thoughts on the game so far? I faintly recall watching Zero Punctuation's review when it came out but its slipped under my radar again till now..
    • 558 posts
    September 16, 2017 10:50 PM EDT

I really want to get this game. Bastion and Transistor are very unique and attractive, and it sounds like this game is more of the same. My one issue with the other games is that they are kind of short, but I heard Pyre is around ten hours long. Once I play it I'll come back here and post my thoughts.

• 1217 posts
    September 16, 2017 11:08 PM EDT

Casey said: Oh nice, so you've got it and have been playing? I had a feeling Pyre had to be more than the sum of apparent parts. Transistor was too good to be a fluke, I knew Supergiant was a dev to watch. What are your thoughts on the game so far? I faintly recall watching Zero Punctuation's review when it came out but its slipped under my radar again till now..

Yep, I've gotten through a few playthroughs so far. It says a lot that Transistor on its own sold me on pre-ordering Pyre despite my hesitation about the sports game aspects, and it exceeded expectations. I'd say Transistor has superior world-building, and the gameplay between the two of them is too good to choose a favorite. Everything else I felt like they really improved on in Pyre. I did a review that might lend more clarity: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMWLzqTbnAQ

John Goblikon said:I really want to get this game. Bastion and Transistor are very unique and attractive, and it sounds like this game is more of the same. My one issue with the other games is that they are kind of short, but I heard Pyre is around ten hours long. Once I play it I'll come back here and post my thoughts.

Sounds about right to me. I took about 11 hours on my first run, and the other have been in the 9-10 range.

• 627 posts
    September 21, 2017 7:23 AM EDT

All I can really say about this game is that I loved it enough to buy the soundtrack and put it on my phone :D

• 1217 posts
    September 21, 2017 3:39 PM EDT

Yeah, Darren Korb is reaching "can do no wrong" status as a game composer.

• 558 posts
    January 8, 2018 5:22 PM EST

I just finished the campaign and it was pretty good. I thought the story started off slowly, but became a lot better probably not even an hour in. My favorite characters were POTENTIAL SPOILERS AHEAD: -------------------------------------------------Hedwyn, Rukey, Falcon Ron, and Sir Gilman. I did like the soundtrack a lot, and my favorite track is probably the Chastity theme song. My favorite part was probably the ending (in a good way). Most of the Liberation Rite choices were hard. Also, when Pamitha was pleading to let her sister win in the Liberation rite was a hard decision. I won.

This post was edited by Gollum at January 8, 2018 7:52 PM EST