Forums » Elder Scrolls

POLL: Favourite Elder Scrolls playable race

• 140 posts
    September 6, 2017 12:10 PM EDT

Wulf said:

Caesar said:

Lot of N'wahs in this thread all of a sudden...

Someone tell me why Caesar hasn't already publicly hung Rogue for his dunmer blasphemy?

I would, but I used up all my rope on people who voted Bosmer :p

• 743 posts
    September 6, 2017 12:11 PM EDT

Caesar said:

Wulf said:

Caesar said:

Lot of N'wahs in this thread all of a sudden...

Someone tell me why Caesar hasn't already publicly hung Rogue for his dunmer blasphemy?

I would, but I used up all my rope on people who voted Bosmer :p

What about Breton voters?

• 278 posts
    September 6, 2017 12:14 PM EDT

dem frenchies aren't even on my mind. forgot they existed, legit. With their shitty names - Madanach, Antionach, Stupid-anach

• 743 posts
    September 6, 2017 12:16 PM EDT

Wulf said:

dem frenchies aren't even on my mind. forgot they existed, legit. With their shitty names - Madanach, Antionach, Stupid-anach

Dark Elves have the most unoriginal race name I've ever heard in my fucking life.

• 224 posts
    September 6, 2017 12:21 PM EDT

Wulf said:

As a person with French Heritage, I find this offensive. Also, Bretons have some the coolest names in the Elder Scrolls.

• 743 posts
    September 6, 2017 12:23 PM EDT

David said:

Wulf said:

As a person with French Heritage, I find this offensive. Also, Bretons have some the coolest names in the Elder Scrolls.

This is also true.

• 278 posts
    September 6, 2017 12:27 PM EDT
    High elves, anyone?
    • 140 posts
    September 6, 2017 12:50 PM EDT

Wulf said: High elves, anyone?

Eh, they're not bad. At a push, I'd say they're ranked about a six to seven in my book.

They're good for mages, but that's really the only place they shine.

• 278 posts
    September 6, 2017 12:58 PM EDT
    No I meant that high elves, anyone as in they have the most unoriginal names
    • 743 posts
    September 6, 2017 1:01 PM EDT

Wulf said: No I meant that high elves, anyone as in they have the most unoriginal names

At least it has a bit of humor to it.

• 224 posts
    September 6, 2017 1:07 PM EDT

Wulf said: No I meant that high elves, anyone as in they have the most unoriginal names

I mean if you think about every race doesn't have original names. All Elven races have fantasy elven names, Man races use real life names, Khajiit's use a mixture of real life and fantasy, and Arogianions use simple names like Walks-On-Water. So yeah no names are original use you name your character something like Hashtag 420 SwagMasta MtnDew Doritos Dragon Slaya

• 1595 posts
    September 6, 2017 2:00 PM EDT

Yeah... Something about this poll result smells fishier than an Altmeri mace. Everyone likes Dunmer, we get it, but I thought we were passed the #masterrace stage now. 

• 127 posts
    September 6, 2017 2:08 PM EDT

I voted Breton.  I like to look human since it makes it easier to RP, and I like to have the edge against magic attacks.  And the more I hear about Dunmer being the 'master race', the more I dislike them.  I've tried playing them.  It didn't work.

• 295 posts
    September 6, 2017 3:12 PM EDT

Paws said:

Yeah... Something about this poll result smells fishier than an Altmeri mace. Everyone likes Dunmer, we get it, but I thought we were passed the #masterrace stage now. 

Well I know that me and Goldie knew who to vote for.

• 224 posts
    September 6, 2017 3:32 PM EDT

Joshua Primrose said:

And the more I hear about Dunmer being the 'master race', the more I dislike them.

No truer statement was ever spoken until this

• 1595 posts
    September 6, 2017 3:33 PM EDT

The Long-Chapper said:

Well I know that me and Goldie knew who to vote for.

And you're both wrong :p

• 585 posts
    September 6, 2017 4:39 PM EDT

Wulf said: High elves, anyone?

Eh there alright, sometimes I think the devs were trying too hard to make the 'superior' race though. Advanced technology and magic use, being taller than ORCS (I mean c'mon), typical noble society with more etiquette than sense, island removed from the rest of the land, general snooty up-their-own-are persona (well, not all of them, but its been reinforced enough to resonate). Its basically 'how can we piss off the average Joe as much as possible' epitomised in some tanned tall blokes.

• 558 posts
    September 6, 2017 9:49 PM EDT

Orc. Goblin-kin is goblin-kin. 

If I had to choose another, it would be Bosmer. Because they are sneaky, tree climbing, pointy eared cannibals. "Don't pick that flower or I'll eat you, n'wah."

• 700 posts
    September 6, 2017 10:21 PM EDT

I'd like to step out of my zealotous boots for a moment and explain why I voted as a did. It was a close tie between Nord and Dunmer, though the latter won out because of their religion, especially as it relates to Vivec. Anyone familiar with the basics of Buddhism will likely recognize the overlap between the two. The deeper you go, the more you realize that Bethesda basically just changed a few words and implanted Buddhist philosophy into the TES world. It was that discovery that actually led me further down the path of Buddhist philosophy, which has ultimately improved my life in many many ways. So, Dunmer win for me because their existence as a fantasy race has legitimately improved my life. 

• 743 posts
    September 6, 2017 10:23 PM EDT

Legion said:

I'd like to step out of my zealotous boots for a moment and explain why I voted as a did. It was a close tie between Nord and Dunmer, though the latter won out because of their religion, especially as it relates to Vivec. Anyone familiar with the basics of Buddhism will likely recognize the overlap between the two. The deeper you go, the more you realize that Bethesda basically just changed a few words and implanted Buddhist philosophy into the TES world. It was that discovery that actually led me further down the path of Buddhist philosophy, which has ultimately improved my life in many many ways. So, Dunmer win for me because their existence as a fantasy race has legitimately improved my life. 

This is actually a really interesting point that I haven't known. That alone does make me like them slightly better.

• 13 posts
    September 6, 2017 10:23 PM EDT

Huh. That's actually really interesting. Is there anything in particular you live by or follow in the philosphy? Or is it almost all of it?

• 224 posts
    September 6, 2017 10:27 PM EDT

Legion said:

Finally, a legit and well thought out reason. I had a very similar thought about the Dunmer, East Asia, and Buddhism.

• 224 posts
    September 6, 2017 11:11 PM EDT

In the spirit of Legion's post, I will explain like he did why I picked Altmer. While I am a fan of the Human races, mainly Bretons and Imperials, I will always love the Altmer for several reasons. One reason is them seeing themselves as being direct descendants of the Divines, which is something I could easily relate to because I grew up in a Christain household and was always told that all humans came from Adam and Eve, which is similar to their belief. The fact that they believe the divines created Nirn is very similar to the belief that God created the universe using his own flesh. Another thing is they were the first to use magic, learned how to smith, how to farm, and they kept advancing this reminds me a lot of the Greeks and their advancements they made. Finally, them being a perfectionist is something I can relate to because I myself am a perfectionist and I always try to make everything I do be perfect with no flaws. There are my reasons for picking Altmer and why I love them.

P.S. Altmer women are the only females I can make that look good. :P

• 127 posts
    September 7, 2017 7:21 AM EDT

I have to admit, I'm not too far off from Legion's kind of reasoning myself.  I was going through some major psychological issues when I was role-playing as weak Breton (namely, myself with my name anagrammed) who needed to get more powerful to survive.  That character helped me to grow personally with confidence and conviction, and I've had a deep respect and love for the race that allowed me that.  I still try to embody that character whenever I'm feeling at my lowest.  It's one of the reasons for my profile name - that was that character.  I'm a better person now because of this game, and though it could have been any race I was playing as, it just happened to be a Breton.

• 700 posts
    September 7, 2017 12:42 PM EDT

Felkros said:

Huh. That's actually really interesting. Is there anything in particular you live by or follow in the philosphy? Or is it almost all of it?

I hold a lot of the ideas in the philosophy very dear. First, I'd like to share this reddit post on the Fire of Vivec. It's dense, but it's fascinating. This is the text that showed me clear as day how similar Vivec's teachings are to that of the Buddah. Without derailing the thread too much (I can talk more about in in private), the first truth that drew me in was the truth of impermanence. All material things are impermanent; existential suffering arises from clinging to impermanent things; this desire to maintain permanence keeps us stuck in the cycle of rebirth (Samsara); thus, suffering continues unless one acknowledges the Four Noble Truths and follows the Noble Eightfold Path to enlightenment (Nirvana0. This is basically CHIM. The realization that there is no "I", but "we", a people for which one must sacrifice him/herself to relieve the suffering of. Altruism, basically. Through the Eightfold path, one achieves Nirvana (CHIM), and escapes Samsara (The Wheel), the endless cycle of rebirth (think the Dreamsleeve). This is also why I love Arkay and his cycles. I could go on for hours, but I won't. I hope that answers your question at least a little bit. It's hard for me to talk about this things concisely. 

David said:

In the spirit of Legion's post, I will explain like he did why I picked Altmer. While I am a fan of the Human races, mainly Bretons and Imperials, I will always love the Altmer for several reasons. One reason is them seeing themselves as being direct descendants of the Divines, which is something I could easily relate to because I grew up in a Christain household and was always told that all humans came from Adam and Eve, which is similar to their belief. The fact that they believe the divines created Nirn is very similar to the belief that God created the universe using his own flesh. Another thing is they were the first to use magic, learned how to smith, how to farm, and they kept advancing this reminds me a lot of the Greeks and their advancements they made. Finally, them being a perfectionist is something I can relate to because I myself am a perfectionist and I always try to make everything I do be perfect with no flaws. There are my reasons for picking Altmer and why I love them.

P.S. Altmer women are the only females I can make that look good. :P

I honestly didn't know that about the Altmer, but knowing it now makes me see them in a much more positive light. That's really cool though, thanks for sharing. It's so easy to forget sometimes that the races (or species) aren't a homogenous group of broiling evil. They have so many things worth praising! Yes, even the Argonians. I will be the first to admit it, as much as I like to rag on them. And while the Thalmor may have smeared the name of the Altmer, the people that make up the race are worth getting to know. 

Joshua Primrose said:

I have to admit, I'm not too far off from Legion's kind of reasoning myself.  I was going through some major psychological issues when I was role-playing as weak Breton (namely, myself with my name anagrammed) who needed to get more powerful to survive.  That character helped me to grow personally with confidence and conviction, and I've had a deep respect and love for the race that allowed me that.  I still try to embody that character whenever I'm feeling at my lowest.  It's one of the reasons for my profile name - that was that character.  I'm a better person now because of this game, and though it could have been any race I was playing as, it just happened to be a Breton.

That's really cool, Josh (can I call you Josh?). I've heard many stories similar to yours and I love hearing more. This is a game that we all hold dear in some way; a game often rooted in our identities, even if in a small way. You favor Bretons for how Skyrim helped you in a time of need; I favor Dunmer for very similar reasons. As much fun as it can be to pick a side and stand stalwart in allegiance, it's always important to take a step back and really understand what it is that drives us to the sides we pick. There's a lot of love that deep. Sharing these kinds of things is never easy, but there's strength in being able to say what you stand for and why, and open yourself up to a community of folks who have the same deep connections we do. Anyway, I'm sure I've talked enough about this. I hope more come around to sharing as you have.