Forums » Elder Scrolls

What ado in Skyrim... (PS4+mods)

• 13 posts
    August 30, 2017 9:18 AM EDT

(Hello, all. Unorthodox first post here heh...)

Grrrr. Fuggin'... I have a million character ideas to play in Skyrim, I've got them all started and ready to go, but I can never get myself actually going on them. I have a Jedi and a Sith, several knights, a paladin, a werewolf-druid-barbarian, three monks, a demon hunter, three assassins, a Batman-style vigilante, two magic-eating mage-hunting sentinels, Link, a ronin, a ninja, Singed (League of Legends), Iron Man, Captain America, a divine archer... I have already completed the main quest several times, the dark brotherhood several dozen times, Dawnguard on both sides a dozen times, Dragonborn a half dozen times, the thieves guild almost a dozen times, the companions nearly a dozen, and the civil war on both sides. I'm not keen on the college, but I'm willing to do it, I'm not sure who with. I don't want to be Dumbledore, but I can easily see my Jedi or Sith taking the position well, it fits my sentinels to an extent...

I'm also desperately trying to come up with a character that would use the lovely abandoned house in Markarth comfortably, but what do you even DO in Markarth? Also desperately wanting a character to use the Bound Bow almost exclusively.
    Yes, every one of those characters is an extant save file on my PS4, mostly just past establishing their basic start, but some are varying stages towards finishing some major content...

Most of these characters are inspired by builds here... I'm just at a loss for progress. I feel all motivated, I open my load menu and... fizzle...

• 34 posts
    August 30, 2017 9:22 AM EDT

Welcome to the Tamriel Vault!

I'd like to ask one simple question - how much do you RP these characters? I can start fun playthroughs gameplay-wise, but those tend to fizzle out after five, ten, twelve hours? I never get a really engaging playthrough unless I sit down, craft a backstory, and figure out who the PC is, the PC's motivations, everything.

• 13 posts
    August 30, 2017 10:28 AM EDT

I like to roleplay a lot actually. What interests me is a journey. Example: I LOVE the Bronze Sentinel build, and I want to try it so badly, but I just don't know what top do with it! I need something mute than "here's a fun mix of skulls and abilities, no go run through some dungeons or the main quest like you've done a million times." That's part of why I love referential builds (crossworld type stuff) because that has a quick outline if goals and display to get in and go.

So motivations are exactly my thing. The other issue sometimes is feasibility. If love to play a build like The Fog or something else massively evil, but beyond Volkihar, there really isn't much evil to accomplish. Honestly, how much can I really devastate a town? And what is there to do for it than just to start at one end of the province and melt faces across to the other end?

As well, I do most of my best creative work collaboratively. I have plenty of inspiration and ideas, but formation is hard when I'm the source, I need help shifting my perspective and accessing new ideas. I'm sure there's more in it than that, but that's as far as I can figure.

This post was edited by Krishahl at August 30, 2017 10:32 AM EDT
    • 694 posts
    August 30, 2017 11:05 AM EDT

Krishahl said:

So motivations are exactly my thing. The other issue sometimes is feasibility. If love to play a build like The Fog or something else massively evil, but beyond Volkihar, there really isn't much evil to accomplish. Honestly, how much can I really devastate a town? And what is there to do for it than just to start at one end of the province and melt faces across to the other end?

I totally get where you're coming from with this. I think mods have helped a lot on that score. New content in the way of quests and spells made a lot of things fresh for me again. I was able to finally get into the mindset of an evil character and their motivations in a way where it didn't feel totally flat or forced. Something I had always struggled with on vanilla. I feel like phenderix spells for me on PS4 was a big part of that. Some of those spells are kinda wack, but there were a number that fall into that ambiguous "gray" zone of good/evil... something that helped me take my character who started as neutral down a progressively dark path, and it opened up a lot of new RP options for me.

I get you about crossworlds. Mine don't come from pop culture as much as they do other ancient mythology and lore because I think the universes have a lot of overlap, but I made a Hecate build this past spring which was LOADS of fun to play. Summons, multiple followers, necromancy... it was a blast. Mods and mapping out just the beginning phases of my RP was a huge part of that, and the rest sort of fell into place. I don't plan beyond that moment when I leave the cave with whoever I've decided to follow out.

My suggestion would be... pick an idea, symbol, or character you want to model, do your research on just a few compatible mods which you think might by complementary, and keep it simple. I wouldn't try to force a certain trajectory too much one way or the other. I think letting it take it's course is part of it. For me, I find that it's about the journey (decision making in the moment) not the destination (end of game gear and filled quest log). You're right that once you've played the quests repeatedly, you find yourself being pulled one way or the other because you feel like it's a fit, and so you should do it. For me, I have to fight that impulse sometimes. Turning of the HUD and/or disabling fast travel also helps you stumble across things more.

Krishahl said:

As well, I do most of my best creative work collaboratively. I have plenty of inspiration and ideas, but formation is hard when I'm the source, I need help shifting my perspective and accessing new ideas. I'm sure there's more in it than that, but that's as far as I can figure.

If you're looking for ideas and collaboration, places to bounce ideas, I'd say this is the place to find it! Whether you want help conceptualizing or executing an idea in game, this is definitely the place to find collaborators and bounce ideas. We're all about creativity and working together here, so feel free to jump right in. I'd say the RP group would be a perfect place to start. :)

• 34 posts
    August 30, 2017 11:12 AM EDT

It's always interesting to hear how other people RP. For me, at character creation I start by crafting a backstory according to what I like to call in my head the "Rule of Three". It basically states, Your Character Backstory should comprise at least three life events in the past, that affect the character in the present in at  least three distinct ways. I will generally have the backstory crafted to fit the character's skillset, rather than the other way around.

Also, the character should ideally have what DnD calls a "Bond", which is a link to something tangible in the world. That war orphan was taken in by her uncle. The professor is married with a wife and kids. The merchant was adopted into a large merchant family. (I've played all of these characters in distinct settings.) It's hard to do so in Skyrim because the world generally reacts as though you do not have that bond. So perhaps "came from outside Skyrim" backstories tend to be best.

So let's go have a look at the Bronze Sentinel. Dread-tank of fire and brimstone, flaming elemental carnage, juggernaut defenses, dwarven ruins as the character's hunting grounds... no real RP guidelines...

In this character we see a curious dichotomy. On the one hand, an impeccable Sentinel fighter, a juggernaut with sword, shield and spell. On the other hand, a knowledge seeker, almost a scholar, seeking the ancient power of the Dwemer. This is generally reflective of spellblade characters in general, as sword and spell exist on almost opposite ends of the ability spectrum.

Now, if I were to craft a backstory for this character, the obvious starting point is his penchant for Dwarven equipment. Markath. That ties in to the "optimal" race for the Sentinel (or at least the suggested race); the Breton's innate Magic Resistance and Dragonskin ability are generally useful for this character in the early stages of the game. Additionally, as a Breton, we have a character innately capable of the build's Destruction and Restoration magic. So we have someone raised in Markath, thereby nurturing a curious fascination of the Dwemer.

Where in Markath? Well, anyone raised anywhere in Markath will have at least the opportunity to pick up this preoccupation with the Dwemer, but we're taking it a step further. The Sentinel has the strength to equip himself with heavy armor; he is a capable blacksmith. He seems curiously preoccupied with power. Why is he so addicted to more power? Because he knows what it's like to be powerless and oppressed, and wants never to be weak again! All of a sudden, the Warrens in Markath presents itself as a fascinating, entirely fitting beginning for this character.

We're thus looking at one past event (Background: the character is from the Warrens in Markath), with two present effects (the character is used to heavy work and is acquainted with basic blacksmithing; the character craves power and more power so as to never be weak and oppressed again).

A proper backstory can take me hours to bring out and conceptualise, but this is just a snapshot into my thinking process. From here, I would ask - if this character is from the Warrens, how did he survive until he was of age? What happened to his family - are they still in the Warrens? If we're RP'ing yes, what made him estranged from them? Maybe some sickness took their memories? All of these would probably have some effect on how the character RPs in more specific scenarios.

tl;dr a proper backstory will motivate a character and affect how they play.

This post was edited by soly at August 30, 2017 11:31 AM EDT
    • 694 posts
    August 30, 2017 11:16 AM EDT

soly said:

It's always interesting to hear how other people RP. For me, at character creation I start by craftnig a backsory according to what I like to call in my head the "Rule of Three". It basically states, Your Character Backstory should comprise at least three life events in the past, that affect the character in the present in at  least three distinct ways. I will generally have the backstory crafted to fit the character's skillset, rather than the other way around.

Also, the character should ideally have what DnD calls a "Bond", which is a link to something tangible in the world. That war orphan was taken in by her uncle. The professor is married with a wife and kids. The merchant was adopted into a large merchant family. (I've played all of these characters in distinc settings.) It's hard to do so in Skyrim because the world generally reacts as though you do not have that bond. So perhaps "came from outside Skyrim" backstories tend to be best.

So let's go have a look at the Bronze Sentinel. Dread-tank of fire and brimstone, flaming elemental carnage, juggernaut defenses, dwarven ruins as the character's hunting grounds... no real RP guidelines...

In this character we see a curious dichotomy. On the one hand, an impeccable Sentinel fighter, a juggernaut with sword, shield and spell. On the other hand, a knowledge seeker, almost a scholar, seeking the ancient power of the Dwemer. This is generally reflective of spellblade characters in general, as sword and spell exist on almost opposite ends of the ability spectrum.

Now, if I were to craft a backstory for this character, the obvious starting point is his penchant for Dwarven equipment. Markath. That ties in to the "optimal" race for the Sentinel (or at least the suggested race); the Breton's innate Magic Resistance and Dragonskin ability are generally useful for this character in the early stages of the game. Additionally, as a Breton, we have a character innately capable of the build's Destruction and Restoration magic. So we have someone raised in Markath, thereby nurturing a curious fascination of the Dwemer.

Where in Markath? Well, anyone raised anywhere in Markath will have at least the opportunity to pick up this preoccupation with the Dwemer, but we're taking it a step further. The Sentinel has the strength to equip himself with heavy armor; he is a capable blacksmith. He seems curiously preoccupied with power. Why is he so addicted to more power? Because he knows what it's like to be powerless and oppressed, and wants never to be weak again! All of a sudden, the Warrens in Markath presents itself as a fascinating, entirely fitting beginning for this character.

We're thus looking at one past event (Background: the character is from the Warrens in Markath), with two present effects (the character is used to heavy work and is acquainted with basic blacksmithing; the character craves power and more power so as to never be weak and oppressed again).

A proper backstory can take me hours to bring out and conceptualise, but this is just a snapshot into my thinking process. From here, I would ask - if this character is from the Warrens, how did he survive until he was of age? What happened to his family - are they still in the Warrens? If we're RP'ing yes, what made him estranged from them? Maybe some sickness took their memories? All of these would probably have some effect on how the character RPs in more specific scenarios.

tl;dr a proper backstory will motivate a character and affect how they play.

Soly, I think your brain is awesome. :D 

• 13 posts
    August 30, 2017 11:21 AM EDT

Edana said:

I totally get where you're coming from with this. I think mods have helped a lot on that score. New content in the way of quests and spells made a lot of things fresh for me again. I was able to finally get into the mindset of an evil character and their motivations in a way where it didn't feel totally flat or forced. Something I had always struggled with on vanilla. I feel like phenderix spells for me on PS4 was a big part of that. Some of those spells are kinda wack, but there were a number that fall into that ambiguous "gray" zone of good/evil... something that helped me take my character who started as neutral down a progressively dark path, and it opened up a lot of new RP options for me.

I get you about crossworlds. Mine don't come from pop culture as much as they do other ancient mythology and lore because I think the universes have a lot of overlap, but I made a Hecate build this past spring which was LOADS of fun to play. Summons, multiple followers, necromancy... it was a blast. Mods and mapping out just the beginning phases of my RP was a huge part of that, and the rest sort of fell into place. I don't plan beyond that moment when I leave the cave with whoever I've decided to follow out.

My suggestion would be... pick an idea, symbol, or character you want to model, do your research on just a few compatible mods which you think might by complementary, and keep it simple. I wouldn't try to force a certain trajectory too much one way or the other. I think letting it take it's course is part of it. For me, I find that it's about the journey (decision making in the moment) not the destination (end of game gear and filled quest log). You're right that once you've played the quests repeatedly, you find yourself being pulled one way or the other because you feel like it's a fit, and so you should do it. For me, I have to fight that impulse sometimes. Turning of the HUD and/or disabling fast travel also helps you stumble across things more.

If you're looking for ideas and collaboration, places to bounce ideas, I'd say this is the place to find it! Whether you want help conceptualizing or executing an idea in game, this is definitely the place to find collaborators and bounce ideas. We're all about creativity and working together here, so feel free to jump right in. I'd say the RP group would be a perfect place to start. :)

As I said, I have plenty of characters started and conceptualized. I sorta cheat, I have the smoke test cell mod because when a build say heavily uses the Nightingale armour, I rush my way through the Thieves Guild quests to get it, and I lose some of the experience. The objective isn't "congrats, now you have the armour, time to imagine all the cool things you could do and ride off into the sunset." If the evolution feels natural, I'll do that, but I don't like the artificial gating or forcing of things to get where I'm going. I have a(n evil) Talion build from Shadow of Mordor that is starting with the Blackguard armour and I'm planning to transition to Vampire Royal armour once I get to the DB quest stage where I kill Astrid and move to Dawnstar, then probably gaining Nightingale armour fir my rise through House Volkihar. I opted for the drainspell bow over the Bound Bow because I like being able to quickly swap between my view, greatsword, and dagger/spell with hotkeys. But every time I load him up, standing there listening to Babette tell everyone about eating a pedophile, I get hit with "but I really wanna play Link..." and when I load him up, I think about the Abandoned House in Markarth and I weak my brain trying to come up with someone to live there, then I load my Prisoner save and mess around with designs, and run through to Whiterun and grab all my gear, then... another idea... thus, I have literally 30 character files...

soly said:

So let's go have a look at the Bronze Sentinel. Dread-tank of fire and brimstone, flaming elemental carnage, juggernaut defenses, dwarven ruins as the character's hunting grounds... no real RP guidelines...

I had a vision of the character more as the Obsidian Sentinel's concept: a walking monster of metal that consumes magic, the physical embodiment of the Atronach sign, a machine-like near-golem of anti-magic... but what major section of content in the game let's me experience this so well? The College? Sure, it has lots of magic-focused content, but this is a magic-eating metal monster here, not the dean... so it just doesn't work there. I guess Dawnguard works, but it's not much content. I'm tired of the main quest but I guess what bigger source of magic to eat is there than dragons? There just isn't anything new to experience there besides a different way of fighting the big geckos... the companions are more of a hunger's lodge than a fighter's guild... thus, my roadblock... what vibrant there is, there's so little, or it doesn't fit...

This post was edited by Krishahl at August 30, 2017 11:54 AM EDT
    • 13 posts
    August 30, 2017 11:38 AM EDT

Another roadblock: I don't really like playing mages... in anything. Not that I dislike Skyrim's magic system, I think I like it more than most any other game, and I love rangers so it's not about being up close, it's just... I dunno, maybe I don't like all the old spells piling up in my books? I just never enjoy mages, so I'm missing out on the opportunities those things would provide... this, I don't think I ever finished the College (that I recall)...

• 69 posts
    September 2, 2017 1:28 PM EDT

Krishahl said:

Another roadblock: I don't really like playing mages... in anything. Not that I dislike Skyrim's magic system, I think I like it more than most any other game, and I love rangers so it's not about being up close, it's just... I dunno, maybe I don't like all the old spells piling up in my books? I just never enjoy mages, so I'm missing out on the opportunities those things would provide... this, I don't think I ever finished the College (that I recall)...

Well if you've never tried mages (and aren't a big fan of them) I'd say that maybe starting off with a split build that focuses on more than just magic. I love mages for one, but when i first started playing SKyrim i can remember that (once i had planned out how i wanted to build a character and made a sort of an RP, i wasn't into building as much at that point) i started off by playing a sort of spellsword/cleric character that introduced me into Skyrim's magic system and i ended up loving it. 

Soo now that the rambling is over i suggest that maybe start off like me? Do a warriror that specializes in proctection magic and low armor, or a beserker that focuses on increases his skills through cloaking (Fire,Frost, Lightining) or maybe a Tank that loves to use Wall Spells to mainly damage a character but having another weapon or staff for backup. And with that being said i think that staffs can also be a good way to sorta test out spells that you think you'd want to experiment with (without all the grind of getting either the Mage or Lady and shooting at hundreds of enemies to get high affinity (mastery) of that skill.

Anywho thats my piece :)

• 13 posts
    September 5, 2017 6:17 AM EDT

FlamezSword said:

I suggest that maybe start off like me? Do a warriror that specializes in proctection magic and low armor, or a beserker that focuses on increases his skills through cloaking (Fire,Frost, Lightining) or maybe a Tank that loves to use Wall Spells to mainly damage a character but having another weapon or staff for backup. And with that being said i think that staffs can also be a good way to sorta test out spells that you think you'd want to experiment with (without all the grind of getting either the Mage or Lady and shooting at hundreds of enemies to get high affinity (mastery) of that skill.

My Crusader, Talion, and my most successful monk are all in the spellsword style, but I tend to ignore my spells on my monk. I try to stick with them on my crusader, but I ignore them half the time as well. It's just too tedious. My Jedi and Sith are a bit more mage-like, and maybe that's why I can't really play them much. I've been considering the newly rediscovered Exorcist build that's been nominated for the new event, but... I mean, in Skyrim, slinging a lightning bolt is exactly like shooting a bow, except it won't fall over long distances, I don't have to lead the shot, and I can still use a shield but... I mean, I have used the Vampire Lord a ton, and specifically its drain ball... I don't know, I just... dislike mages. I'd probably use spells like the skins and cloaks far more if they went on the powers button instead of in my hand. I can see the value I just... maybe it's a variety thing? With melee, i have a whole variety of directional power attacks for the scenario, and archery is both silent and benefits from poisons, but in order to use the variety that magic offers, I have to fiddle around with menus far too much... and on console I lack hotkeys in any real form, so I'm stuck with two quick swap spells and whatever else I want requires menu diving. And I suppose it's also a thematic issue, I can't think of any mage builds with a style that really speaks to me. I just end up replacing my spells with shouts. Even the magic side if the Bronze Sentinel would probably just be ignored by me. It's part of my barrier with Iron Man as well. I'm trying to think of a good character to adapt that really gives me a chance to try magic, but nothing sticks out that isn't basically Gandalf (the 5th level bard!)

I also don't much care for alchemy or enchanting but I don't mind smithing? I don't get that either.

This post was edited by Krishahl at September 5, 2017 6:22 AM EDT
    • 13 posts
    September 5, 2017 8:44 AM EDT

Update: I have come up with a build idea that can hopefully force me out of my comfort zone, making me try all the aspects of the game I've been avoiding. I'm going to recreate the Little Sister from Bioshock. Based primarily on the Chirurgeon build, the character will be a purely support crafter mage type build with some lore flair. Basically: a vampire with sneak, conjuration, restoration, alchemy, pickpocket, enchanting, and some shouts, with absolutely no combat ability itself. I'm going to take the opportunity to try out a component of the game I've always wanted to try but never have: cannibalism. Eat a corpse and funnel the bonus health into Equilibrium and then Heal Other on the Atronach or Thrall. I'm thinking Atronach sine perhaps... Breton has the starting summon and daily Atronach stone, but... so many Bretons... Altmer has bonus Magicka and the Frenzy spell helps for a temporary guardian, but... they're like really tall... Bosmer don't really give us anything except a bonus to sneak and alchemy but they're the smallest... hrm...

This post was edited by Krishahl at September 5, 2017 8:45 AM EDT