Forums » Elder Scrolls

Creation of Family Sigils (accurate to lore)

• 224 posts
    August 22, 2017 3:42 AM EDT

Hello!,

I have been delve into family names of TES lore, about their history and their origins and I think would be nice to to use lore as reference (sources as in-game, official lore, etc) and your imagination and skills to create custom made sigils or improve them of a house or family name. I think would be interesting as activity, could be from any family or house, from any race of Tamriel, but the idea is to have some lore references about history of the family name, in a way the created sigil reflect the family name. Could be any family name From Highrock, Hammerfell, Skyrim, Cyrodiil, Summerset Isles, Valenwood, Elsweyr, Black Marsh to Morrowind.  

The main idea of this is to motivate people to investigate lore and at same time create something representative related to TES families history and get an immersive vision of culture on TES.

First would be good to know what family or house would you like to choose

To then create a fan-art style image of a sigil what represents that family name, you can choose any family or house with a name (even two or more people can choose same, that doesn't matter), could be just iconic as a pure image, or be added to a banner, a kind of family shield, whatever, but the important is the creation of the custom sigil represents the family or you can modify or improve one existant. Also as I already said, is important that sigil have references to the last name history.

I will post mine here, I choose House Tharn family, an Imperial Noble family who held states on the Nibenay Basin. But not yet, I'm doing an extensive research of it.

Would be nice you participate, thanks

-Medieval-

This post was edited by Medieval at August 22, 2017 8:38 PM EDT
    • 585 posts
    August 22, 2017 4:49 PM EDT

Crackin' idea Med! Like Game of Thrones but in Skyrim, can't think of a better combination than that. I've got as much artistic capability as a mug so I'll just sit back and watch the awesome creations flow in, but nevertheless I'm still looking forward to this.

• 224 posts
    August 22, 2017 4:57 PM EDT

Thanks Zonnon, and the idea is not just of Skyrim, but of whole Tamriel, and any race, so would be a wide variety of families names to choose. This is just an idea, I posted as a blog post hoping people participate, but I'm going to see if I can to talk with some admin to see If this can be a kind of Event.

• 1595 posts
    August 27, 2017 2:11 PM EDT

Medieval said:

Thanks Zonnon, and the idea is not just of Skyrim, but of whole Tamriel, and any race, so would be a wide variety of families names to choose. This is just an idea, I posted as a blog post hoping people participate, but I'm going to see if I can to talk with some admin to see If this can be a kind of Event.

If this does become an event, make it soon, aye? :D I wanna play but would be gutted if I start playing too early.

I want to make a crest for my ESO character, Morihaus. Using the lore which says "Morihaus took as his device the constellation of The Lord" I want to include that Birthsign with maybe some cow imagery. Need a good motto to go with it, but will probably keep it basic like the template below:

• 224 posts
    August 27, 2017 3:24 PM EDT

Paws this is great!, yes all TES games are allowed, is generally about TES lore. I have talked with Taineeva and contact Golden Fool, they seem are in charge to create such events, they told me they usually plan events with a large time of preparation. What I can do for now is just keep this blog post, maybe If more people are interested could be created as an official event. I'm glad by your participation, will be nice to see your advance development of this crest (sigil). Feel free to post updates of it. That is the idea, adding references with lore fundaments and create a distinctive sigil, crest, emblem, family shield, etc. what represent their kind.

By the way I'm also going to post mines, I should post it as example, but for now I'm working on TSC's Books and Terminal event, I have been working some days on it, its almost done, when I finish the TSC's Books and Terminal entry, I'm going to focus more on this post.

(I'm going to update the post, with more info and/or deteails and to make it more open for participation for more people, add that can be created also sigils of factions or created factions of fan stories, that I think would make this even more attractive)

• 224 posts
    August 27, 2017 4:50 PM EDT

I have some questions. Does the family have to be in TES Lore, or can it be a made up family? Is there a limit on how many you can do?

• 1595 posts
    August 27, 2017 6:30 PM EDT

Medieval said:

Paws this is great!, yes all TES games are allowed, is generally about TES lore. I have talked with Taineeva and contact Golden Fool, they seem are in charge to create such events, they told me they usually plan events with a large time of preparation. What I can do for now is just keep this blog post, maybe If more people are interested could be created as an official event. I'm glad by your participation, will be nice to see your advance development of this crest (sigil). Feel free to post updates of it. That is the idea, adding references with lore fundaments and create a distinctive sigil, crest, emblem, family shield, etc. what represent their kind.

By the way I'm also going to post mines, I should post it as example, but for now I'm working on TSC's Books and Terminal event, I have been working some days on it, its almost done, when I finish the TSC's Books and Terminal entry, I'm going to focus more on this post.

(I'm going to update the post, with more info and/or deteails and to make it more open for participation for more people, add that can be created also sigils of factions or created factions of fan stories, that I think would make this even more attractive)

Thanks Medi, I will make a start now regardless while I am inspired to, maybe will make another one for the event if it happens - it is a great idea as it's a unique way for people to look at and think about their favourite characters. I'll liley use the workshop as I update. Good luck with Books and Terminals, looking forward to what you create :)

• 224 posts
    August 27, 2017 8:52 PM EDT

Pickle Rick said:

I have some questions. Does the family have to be in TES Lore, or can it be a made up family? Is there a limit on how many you can do?

Hello Pickle Rick, you can choose a family name of TES lore, or also can be based on a character you have created, If you have created a character with a certain family name, the idea is you reflect the reputation and what is known of that family name and represent it on a sigil, see the example of Paws, the idea is you delve into lore about family names, you can use references of in game books, lore it self, and lore characters, for example mine will be of House Tharn, the Imperial family name settled at the Nibenay Basin who have had important roles of influence on Cyrodiil history, usually holding power positions for good or for bad.

By the way I'm going to update this post, adding you can create or modify a sigil of a faction of lore or create a sigil of your own tes faction you have created.

The best example for now is the one have given Paws, even adding quotes of a part of lore, depicting some elemts who will reflect on sigil or crest he is creating.  

• 224 posts
    August 27, 2017 8:57 PM EDT

Medieval said:

Pickle Rick said:

Hello Pickle Rick, you can choose a family name of TES lore, or also can be based on a character you have created, If you have created a character with a certain family name, the idea is you reflect the reputation and what is known of that family name and represent it on a sigil, see the example of Paws, the idea is you delve into lore about family names, you can use references of in game books, lore it self, and lore characters, for example mine will be of House Tharn, the Imperial family name settled at the Nibenay Basin who have had important roles of influence on Cyrodiil history, usually holding power positions for good or for bad.

By the way I'm going to update this post, adding you can create or modify a sigil of a faction of lore or create a sigil of your own tes faction you have created.

The best example for now is the one have given Paws, even adding quotes of a part of lore, depicting some elemts who will reflect on sigil or crest he is creating.  

Alright, thank you. Paws suggested that I do this, but I may do this or may not. Either way, I would like to say I think is a great idea, and could easily be an event. 

• 224 posts
    August 27, 2017 9:03 PM EDT

Nice Paws, feel free to share your work here (or put a link), so could work to motivate others to participate, but you know I think would be even better to move this to Workshop, because for now is just a post, so moving to there will be more accurate, as a place to share work in progress. by the way I have read your TSC's Books and Terminals story, I liked it, I like those writing have more than one interpretation, I'm going to comment on your in-game book post :).

And about this post I will update it and make it more detailed and well done and as I said move it to Workshop section.

This post was edited by Medieval at August 27, 2017 9:04 PM EDT
    • 1595 posts
    August 27, 2017 10:12 PM EDT
    Pickle Rick said:

Alright, thank you. Paws suggested that I do this, but I may do this or may not. Either way, I would like to say I think is a great idea, and could easily be an event. 

Cool! GOT has their house mottos and coats of arms, thought it would be a pool of inspiration, especially factoring in how we see these sigils in Latin. Hope you give it some thought :)
    • 224 posts
    August 27, 2017 11:47 PM EDT

Paws said:
    Pickle Rick said:

Cool! GOT has their house mottos and coats of arms, thought it would be a pool of inspiration, especially factoring in how we see these sigils in Latin. Hope you give it some thought :)

Man, it seems like you really want me to do this. Again, I may do it or may not just depends if anything hits me.

• 1595 posts
    August 28, 2017 12:41 AM EDT

Pickle Rick said:

Man, it seems like you really want me to do this. Again, I may do it or may not just depends if anything hits me.

Maybe I just don't want to be the only one? :D

Here's a small wip/concept in my thought-box:

It looks like ass, my idea being that I would somehow align the Lord with the horns, eyes, and triskellion motif - just the constellation pattern rather than the picture around it. Proving hard so far :D

This post was edited by Paws at August 28, 2017 12:50 AM EDT
    • 585 posts
    August 28, 2017 6:29 AM EDT

Paws said:

It looks like ass, my idea being that I would somehow align the Lord with the horns, eyes, and triskellion motif - just the constellation pattern rather than the picture around it. Proving hard so far :D

Looking good dude! Don't know as much about Morihaus as I should but it fits to me, and everything looks good together. The horns being part of the border is a great little touch as well.

• 224 posts
    August 28, 2017 7:33 AM EDT

Paws said:

Pickle Rick said:

Yeah, sure that is your reasoning...

It looks pretty good though I have to ask why do you have Wind symbol form Avatar on there for?

• 1595 posts
    August 28, 2017 12:46 PM EDT

Zonnonn said:

Looking good dude! Don't know as much about Morihaus as I should but it fits to me, and everything looks good together. The horns being part of the border is a great little touch as well.

Ha, thanks Zon :) I was playing with pathing the motto and somehow got the words to go the complete opposite direction to the curve of the box. I appreciate the kind words, though, but starting to think I need to be more talented than I am to make this actually work :DAm always happy to bore with Mor lore, though, if you wanna know aught :D

Pickle Rick said:

It looks pretty good though I have to ask why do you have Wind symbol form Avatar on there for?

Not sure about the wind symbol - but saying that and thinking of Mor's connection with Kyne, even that would be fitting! It's the Morthal symbol, a town supposedly named after Morihaus. I inverted it and flipped it so that the Lord sign's constellation pattern vaguely lines up with the swirls.

• 224 posts
    August 28, 2017 1:04 PM EDT

Paws said:

Zonnonn said:

Ha, thanks Zon :) I was playing with pathing the motto and somehow got the words to go the complete opposite direction to the curve of the box. I appreciate the kind words, though, but starting to think I need to be more talented than I am to make this actually work :DAm always happy to bore with Mor lore, though, if you wanna know aught :D

Pickle Rick said:

Not sure about the wind symbol - but saying that and thinking of Mor's connection with Kyne, even that would be fitting! It's the Morthal symbol, a town supposedly named after Morihaus. I inverted it and flipped it so that the Lord sign's constellation pattern vaguely lines up with the swirls.

Well, I never that and now I do, and I would like to say I am going to do this. :)

• 1595 posts
    August 28, 2017 1:09 PM EDT

Pickle Rick said:

Well, I never that and now I do, and I would like to say I am going to do this. :)

Yay! :) Looking forward to it. Teaser thoughts? What are you plannning?

• 224 posts
    August 28, 2017 1:40 PM EDT

Paws said:

Pickle Rick said:

Yay! :) Looking forward to it. Teaser thoughts? What are you plannning?

It is a Noble Almer family, that can trace its lineage back to one of Auri-El's Knights/Paladins. I should have it done in about a day.

• 1595 posts
    August 28, 2017 3:24 PM EDT

Pickle Rick said:

It is a Noble Almer family, that can trace its lineage back to one of Auri-El's Knights/Paladins. I should have it done in about a day.

Sweet! :)

• 224 posts
    August 28, 2017 6:54 PM EDT

Paws said:

Pickle Rick said:

Sweet! :)

You know what is sweeter the fact I will have done in about one hour. :)

• 224 posts
    August 28, 2017 7:15 PM EDT

Paws said:

Pickle Rick said:

Nice concept Paws!, your talent and inspiration is represented on the coat of arms you have created, that is the idea to make your inspiration flow on your representation in an artistic way, mixing lore concepts and your own idea in one shape, I hope this worth to be more poeople interested on participate on this, you "have put the first rock", I appreciate it. ( by the way I try to speak the best english I can, so forgive me If I say something weird xD, I'm always improving on it)

• 224 posts
    August 28, 2017 7:22 PM EDT

This is my Sigil/Coat of Arms for the Noble Altmer family named Azarath. They can trace their lineage to the Grand Knight Sunimarco Azarath, who was the Grand Knight under Trinamc. Their motto is Prostatépste ton Ouranó which means Protect the Heavens in Aldmeri (It is actually Greek). The Nebuly represents the Heavens where the Aedra ascended to and live, the Sky Blue color represents the sky which is between the Heavens and Nirn, the Gold Eagle represents Auri-El and his ascension to the Heavens and the Eagle is the Lord of the Sky and the Green Chevron represents devotion to the Altmer faith and Nirn.

I have to admit Paws was right I had a lot of fun doing this and now I may do more.

• 224 posts
    August 28, 2017 7:29 PM EDT

Pickle Rick said:

This is my Sigil/Coat of Arms for the Noble Altmer family named Azarath. They can trace their lineage to the Grand Knight Sunimarco Azarath, who was the Grand Knight under Trinamc. Their motto is Prostatépste ton Ouranó which means Protect the Heavens in Aldmeri (It is actually Greek). The Nebuly represents the Heavens where the Aedra ascended to and live, the Sky Blue color represents the sky which is between the Heavens and Nirn, the Gold Eagle represents Auri-El and his ascension to the Heavens and the Eagle is the Lord of the Sky and the Green Chevron represents devotion to the Altmer faith and Nirn.

I have to admit Paws was right I had a lot of fun doing this and now I may do more.

So much creativeness here Pickle Rick this is really cool!, exactly that is the idea of this, nice work, will be nice to see more, thanks for participating :)

• 224 posts
    August 28, 2017 7:35 PM EDT

Medieval said:

Pickle Rick said:

So much creativeness here Pickle Rick this is really cool!, exactly that is the idea of this, nice work, will be nice to see more, thanks for participating :)

Thank you, and like I said I actually may do some more because I had a lot of fun. You are welcome and really you should also be thanking Paws because he kept badgering me about it. :)