Forums » Elder Scrolls

Best Guild Of All Time?

• 278 posts
    July 12, 2017 9:51 PM EDT

I was wondering, recently. Out of every game - TES1, TES2, TES3, TES4, TES5, which guild has been your favourite? This could be many things - atmosphere, location, aesthetics, armor, rewards, gameplay, storyline! Anything's valid. Perhaps, you liked the Fighter's Guild? Ooh, what about the TES4 Thieves Guild? Who knows? Tell me your favourite!

My personal favourites are as follows -

TES4 Thieves Guild, great storyline, rewards, and genuinely interesting characters.

TES5 Dark Brotherhood, decent storyline, decent rewards, and insanely interesting characters (see what I did there?)

TES5 Thieves Guild, great storyline - though totally not as good as TES4 Thieve's Guild - meh rewards, fun though repetitive characters

Companions, absolutely crap storyline, too little playtime, sometimes repetitive characters - howling good reward, though! (back at it again!) Not too mention, Aela is bae <3

*The college of winterhold needs to burn in oblivion*

• 284 posts
    July 13, 2017 9:38 AM EDT

I always loved the Thieves guild in TES V. I think it's, together with the Dark Brotherhood, the only faction questline that Bethesda actually gave some thought and did well.

• 275 posts
    July 13, 2017 6:41 PM EDT

I'm really fond of the TES:IV Dark Brotherhood, though it may mostly be due to me playing assassin. I love it mostly because of the Imperial City Prison quest. Watching the guards for 5 minutes at a time and getting past them without a trace was undoubtedly my favorite part of the game.

• 261 posts
    July 13, 2017 9:59 PM EDT

Right-o, let's see here...

TESII: The Temples (particularly Arkay and Julianos) and the Knights. Also, the Witches had cool quests, even though you couldn't join them.

TESIII: Haven't played this one much, but... The Great Houses. All of 'em (that you can join).

TESIV: Pretty much everything but the Fighters Guild (which IMO didn't live up to the rest of the Guilds in TESIV).

TESV: Companions and Dark Brotherhood

TESO: Mages Guild and Undaunted (note that I haven't done Thieves Guild or Dark Brotherhood)

• 1595 posts
    July 14, 2017 8:03 PM EDT

Thieves Guid in TES IV Oblivion is probably my favourite guild storyline in any of the games so far. I'm not a stealthy player, nor am I into rogueish sort of gameplay as a general rule, but the TG was so damn good. The theme running through it was the story of the Grey Fox, a very human and somewhat tragic figure as it turned out.

I never liked the Dark Brotherhood. I just didn't get it, I guess. Lucien LeChance was a bell end.

If we expand into factions, though, then the Blades and Knights of the Nine were my favourites.

• 3 posts
    July 14, 2017 8:12 PM EDT

I can only speak for Oblivion and Skyrim.  

1. The Dark Brotherhood was interesting in both and well thought out in both.  I loved hte lore on this and it is probably my favortite.

2. The Theives Guild in Oblivion and Skyrim were both well done.

3. The Compainions was a good concept but I felt too short and not developed as well as it could have been. 

College of Winterhold did not have the epic feeling of the Mages Guild in Oblivion.  If Skyrim had followed what I heard it was supposed to be with a time shifting quest line that resulted in the restoration of Winterhold, it would have been better.  They didn't so it kind of sucked.

I was very disappointed in the rebuilding of the Blades in Skyrim.  A lot more could have been done there. 

IMHO

Rabyd One

This post was edited by Rabyd One at July 14, 2017 8:13 PM EDT
    • 1467 posts
    July 14, 2017 8:39 PM EDT

Oblivion - The Thieves Guild was the best in Oblivion, but the Mages Guild and Dark Brotherhood were both really good as well.

Skyrim - By process of elimmination... I guess, fuck there all pretty mediocre. Maybe the Dark Brotherhood I think, the rest just aren't all that flash. The Thieve's Guild takes far too long to properly complete (but at least the main quest is decent), the Companions are too short but have the best characters other than Karliah. The College of Winterhold is absolutely terrible but uh, nah it just sucks. 

• 2 posts
    July 19, 2017 5:49 PM EDT

I never played I or II but out of III, IV, V, and Online it goes to the Imperial Cult, the Knights of the Nine, the Dawnguard and probably the Fighter's Guild. But do keep in mind: I have never done the Dark Brotherhood or the Thieve's Guild in both Skyrim and Oblivionand have only played Morrowind once as a paladin (my first character in any RPG is a paladin).

I just enjoyed how in Morrowind, the Divines actually felt like they had a presence with the Imperial Cult. In the quests of later games (outside of the Knights of the Nine DLC), the Divines feel, I dunno, lackluster. Like they have no real power in the world that they themselves created; the Daedric Princes have more influence in the world in later games. 

This kinda goes with the Imperial Cult but the Knights of the Nine questline gives you the only real signs of power and influence in the world of the Elder Scrolls in Oblivion. It has always bugged me in Oblivion and Skyrim the Daedra have far more influence on Nirn than the Divines who themselves created Nirn. The Knights of the Nine help to diminish this feeling.

The Dawnguard in Skyrim are just a far, far superior and more interesting version of the Order of the Virtuous Blood in Oblivion. I bet many gamers, even a lot of hardcore TES fans, never even found the Order in Oblivion; that just shows how unimportant and lackluster they were. I also just love the sun spells and the aesthetic of their weapons and armor. They are unlike any other pieces of equipment found in Skyrim. And the Rune weapons (and shield) are extremely interesting. 

In Online, most of the guild are rather unimport but I like the idea of the Fighter's Guild not just being common mercenaries, using their combat prowess for gold and fame, but rather as warriors with a specialized purpose to destroy all daedric influence. 

This post was edited by Aidence at July 28, 2017 7:13 PM EDT