Forums » Elder Scrolls

The Return of Paid Mods

• 104 posts
    June 15, 2017 6:37 AM EDT

Hey guys, greetings from me, So are we seeing the return of paid Mods? if so what are your thoughts, what do you think of Bethesda offering Modders a chance to make a living at what they do best, now all content will be curated by Bethesda so we are possibly looking at DLC quality content.  It's not just Modders that will be allowed to make new content it's their outside partners also. Now if you need a rant then go ahead but please try and be objective in the comments below.

Let us also know what you think of Bethesda selling premium points in exchange for this content, is there a better way? do you think it will be like the Crown store from ESO.

This post was edited by Bonelord at June 15, 2017 6:43 AM EDT
    • 284 posts
    June 15, 2017 8:14 AM EDT

I think that it's kinda stupid. There's already a donation system on the nexus. Mods should be paid for only if the author allows it. There are some modders that stated that their mods will always be free.

• 104 posts
    June 15, 2017 8:26 AM EDT

Yes D3LTA, Mods will always be free this is an application based module those that wish to take part will have to apply to become creators, no Mod that exists at the moment will be allowed, it all must be original work, aren't you even a little curious as to what may come available? man we could have high-quality work at DLC standard, I know its not what people want but does Bethesda even care anymore, its about the Dollars man

• 743 posts
    June 15, 2017 9:35 AM EDT

My issue is that I've been playing Skyrim since its release. I play it daily and still genuinely enjoy it. However, I don't want Bethesda to keep pushing their 6 year old game and rereleasing it ever year. Mods can only do so much, and they damn sure can't make TES 6, which is the only thing I'm remotely interested in Bethesda working on. 

• 224 posts
    June 15, 2017 10:55 AM EDT

D3LTAFOX said:

I think that it's kinda stupid. There's already a donation system on the nexus. Mods should be paid for only if the author allows it. There are some modders that stated that their mods will always be free.

But how many people actually donate though? Also, mods will always remain free. Bethesda even says that in the video "Any previous mods or mods that come after will remain free" What Creation Club is basically High-End Mods from people who have worked on games independently and they will be in-house Mods, which means Bethesda themselves are publishing them, or whatever you want to call, and they won't interfer with your game, if you want achievemnts or trophies, and this gives PS4 a greater source of Mods since they got shafted.

My opinion once again is that I support this idea, but I am afraid of how Bethesda is going to handle it.

• 700 posts
    June 15, 2017 11:30 AM EDT

I'm not actually as irritated at this as I initially was. After listening to Gopher's commentary - and I hold his thoughts on the matter in higher regard than my own simply because of his place in the modding community - this is just micro DLC. It's kind of a weird semantic issue, no? DLC modifies games. Mods modify games. The crucial difference is the system of checks and balances put in place and how the mods are delivered. Bethesda is going to hire the best. There's a vetting system in place to ensure we get quality CC content. But it's entirely voluntary, so many modders will likely continue producing mods for free. Some will want to be paid, and if they're good enough, then they'll get in and make money for their craft. There's no shame in that. I don't know if this will be able to sidestep Sony's whole "no external assets" thing, though I imagine it will to some degree. PS4 users might grumble at first, but they'll grumble while entering their credit card information. 

Still, it's hard to tell what Bethesda's intentions are. Is it to appeal to the modding community and give some folks an opportunity to make a profession out of what they do? Is it to appease console users to a degree? To continue making money on a game that continues to sell? Probably all 3 and then some. I can't be mad at Bethesda supplying where there is demand. I mean, Skyrim SE sold a total of 938,734 units in its first week. US with 417,968, Europe with 354,622. At $60 a pop, that's $25 million in US sales alone. Money talks, and our mouths are moving. 

This post was edited by Legion at June 15, 2017 10:32 PM EDT
    • 1441 posts
    June 15, 2017 8:11 PM EDT

Legion said:

I'm not actually as irritated at this as I initially was. After listening to Gopher's commentary - and I hold his thoughts on the matter in higher regard than my own simply because of his place in the modding community - this is just micro DLC. It's kind of a weird semantic issue, no? DLC modifies games. Mods modify games. The crucial difference is the system of checks and balances put in place and how the mods are delivered. Bethesda is going to hire the best. There's a vetting system in place to ensure we get quality CC content. But it's entirely voluntary, so many modders will likely continue producing mods for free. Some will want to be paid, and if they're good enough, then they'll get in and make money for their craft. There's no shame in that. I don't know if this will be able to sidestep Sony's whole "no external assets" thing, though I imagine it will to some degree. PS4 might grumble at first, but they'll grumble while entering their credit card information. 

Still, it's hard to tell what Bethesda's intentions are. Is it to appeal to the modding community and give some folks an opportunity to make a profession out of what they do? Is it to appease console users to a degree? To continue making money on a game that continues to sell? Probably all 3 and then some. I can't be mad at Bethesda supplying where there is demand. I mean, Skyrim SE sold a total of 938,734 units in its first week. US with 417,968, Europe with 354,622. At $60 a pop, that's $25 million in US sales alone. Money talks, and our mouths are moving. 

All of this

• 87 posts
    June 16, 2017 8:42 AM EDT
    There's nothing wrong with getting paid for your work. However, it seems clear that Bethesda is just doing this for the money and their whole mantra that it's not "paid mods, it's just mods you pay for" is ridiculous. If they're going to suggest a new idea, they should be upfront about it. Also I think it's about time that they moved on from Skyrim. Mods have kept Skyrim alive for these past six years. Bethesda knows that and now they're just trying to get money off that. They should start moving on to elder scrolls 6 instead of wasting their time rereleasing Skyrim every year. In general, I'm not completely opposed to the idea but I think Bethesda is terrible when it comes to things like this and I'm a little nervous about how they are going to handle it.
    This post was edited by Decumus Scotti at June 16, 2017 8:43 AM EDT