Forums » Fallout

Fallout 4: Without Settlement Building

• 215 posts
    June 8, 2017 2:54 PM EDT

Hey guys, so I like the settlement building.  But with all these events sometimes that slows up progress.  So need some input on how to play without worrying about settlement building.  I mean, the quests seem to force you in that direction.  And then you get the never ending attacks on settlements if you aren't doing building and protecting them. 

So any tips or advice on how to play without settlement building and not letting that bog you down with attacks and always having to rush back to be the salvation?  Do you just ignore them or what?

• 69 posts
    June 8, 2017 3:48 PM EDT

Personally when I'm playing a non-settlement playthrough I usually find one place on the map to be a sort of home for my character... but after that I equip my settlers with as much gear as i can spre (missile launchers, fat mans, gauss rifles, hunting rifles, metal armor, cage armors, etc.) and then they should be able to take care of themselves with minimal settlement requirements

• 69 posts
    June 8, 2017 3:49 PM EDT

Or I just don't take Preston with me and go directly to DC (If my story pertains to the main questline) and as for ways into the Institute If that's what your going for the RR and BoS both require minimal IF any settlement building (except for the teleporter of course)

• 700 posts
    June 8, 2017 4:26 PM EDT

Yep, just ignore them. I ignore every settlement objective possible. When a faction asks me to set up defenses, I just slap down a turret or two and call it a day, then forget about it. I don't know that you can ever truly avoid settlement quests so long as you aim to complete the story or follow a faction very far. There may be a mod that removes settlement objectives or attack notifications, but I'm not sure. 

• 284 posts
    June 8, 2017 5:16 PM EDT

When I went through the BoS questline, I wasn't required to build any settlements. Just don't go with Preston after saving him from the raiders in the Museum. Head straight to Diamond City.

• 215 posts
    June 8, 2017 5:39 PM EDT

Do you notice any change in leveling from bypassing all those quests?

• 248 posts
    June 8, 2017 5:49 PM EDT

Same as above. What I usually do is make a home base just stash stuff I want to keep and crafting material for weapon/armor upgrades. Often times I'll grab the PER bobblehead and never talk to Preston again. If you're going to do the main quest, the BOS and Institute side of things provide a lot of XP. I wouldn't worry too much about leveling. Some of those Institute quests provide a ton of XP versus settlement crafting. 

• 69 posts
    June 8, 2017 6:44 PM EDT

Ragin Cajun said:

Do you notice any change in leveling from bypassing all those quests?

Here is how I solve these 

#1 doing the odd misc quest from the RR and BoS gives you much better XP than the random Settlement defenses

#2 Once you find an objective in the playthrough just work through to it and the leveling will come naturally...at least for me it does; just picking up any random side quest will boast significant payouts in the way of XP

#3 Although settlement building levels you up quite a bit I find that picking up the double meat Wastelande Survival Book and stopping by a cooking station every two to three in game days fetches multitudes of experiance from cooking (hunting boosts this even more = more meat + health for combat)

• 69 posts
    June 8, 2017 6:46 PM EDT

D3LTAFOX said:

When I went through the BoS questline, I wasn't required to build any settlements. Just don't go with Preston after saving him from the raiders in the Museum. Head straight to Diamond City.

Ah, I didnt necessarily mean it to come across as I actually had to build for the BoS quest, but there are quest that are given to you (misc quests) from certain people that will send you to get supplies from a settlement (aka Teagan) and that leads to what Cajan is trying to avoid :)

But no the BoS does NOT require any building (except LP and the teleporter)

• 277 posts
    June 8, 2017 7:44 PM EDT
    It depends on the character I'm playing but on most I plain ignore settlement notifications... unless it's something near my location. I can't deny a small xp boost. I tend to think the misc quests from your chosen faction are enough for relatively quick level up.
    • 295 posts
    June 8, 2017 7:51 PM EDT

I've ignored Settlement building completely. At least, so far. But I've pretty much been ignoring quests too. :D

Only the teddy bears matter...

• 248 posts
    June 8, 2017 8:08 PM EDT

Lissette Long-Chapper said:

truly, Reginald's kin are all that matter. Hey Liss, are we going to see a 'build' or other Fallout content from you???

*holds breath in deep anticipation*

• 69 posts
    June 8, 2017 8:39 PM EDT

Mottyskills said:

Lissette Long-Chapper said:

truly, Reginald's kin are all that matter. Hey Liss, are we going to see a 'build' or other Fallout content from you???

*holds breath in deep anticipation*

Yes, maybe something to do with your teddy bear obsession, love :P