Forums » Elder Scrolls

Vanilla or SE?

• 15 posts
    May 23, 2017 8:38 PM EDT

Hello All,

As I finished exams it is time for me to play some Skyrim finally. 

Currently I will play on my laptop due to the fact I am not home with my desktop.

My specs are: i7 2.60ghz , gtx 960 4gb, 8 gb ram, win10

Which edition of skyrim shall I download? I want to mod the game heavily, mainly with immersion perks, some town expanding, and maybe some texture. will the SE engine help the game be more stable?

Are the mods for Vanilla working in SE?

Thanks in advance.

ps: I will start uploading builds asap

• 1467 posts
    May 23, 2017 10:49 PM EDT

Hmm, it depends on what mods you want. From experience, SE (even on PC) still hasn't caught up to Oldrim because of the lack of SKSE, which really cripples a lot of modders. There are definitely still some good ones, but there are some that are lacking features, a lot of realy good mods that aren't available on SE yet all because of that.

That's all I can really say about the mods on PC, I can't actualy run SE myself so I don't know the exact condition of mods for it...So, I know there are a lot of people on PC who play both, sometimes at the same time and it really just depends on the complexity of the mods involved.

As a note, The Modder's Conclave Help Desk is generally the place to go if you have any questions about mods, with a specific thread just for talking about PC Mods. In the future would you mind dropping questions over there, it's more likely to get noticed by someone who knows a fair bit more about mods than I do. 

• 15 posts
    May 24, 2017 7:17 AM EDT

Hmm I see.

Yeah I decided to download Vanilla for the plethora of mods.

either way with my gtx 960 I don't go super heavy with graphics mods on SE while with Vanilla i can handle some retextures.

• 104 posts
    May 27, 2017 7:19 AM EDT

The main problem with vanilla, as opposed to SE, is the ussep, with it any build that wants to advance the Atronach or any other stone just isn't possible, so I have copies of both, I am now used to playing with Mods so its SE for me

• 15 posts
    May 27, 2017 8:53 AM EDT

i think i will change to SE when SKSE wll be released and i think is comming soon.

• 104 posts
    May 27, 2017 9:59 AM EDT

Do you mean SKSE for consoles? it is my understanding that this will never happen unless you know something I dont

• 295 posts
    May 27, 2017 10:43 AM EDT

Honestly? In my computer, my SE game actually looks better. My computer is older so the change to 64 bit only helps with the smoothness of my SSE game and really Rustic Weathers and Enhanced Vanilla Vegitation are two really strong mods for SSE that are not available for Oldrim and they are great. The only two mods I'm missing are Requiem and ICoW, otherwise, I'd be pretty much SSE all the way. 

• 15 posts
    May 27, 2017 11:59 AM EDT

Bonelord said:

Do you mean SKSE for consoles? it is my understanding that this will never happen unless you know something I dont

yeah sorry i mean for PC. i play only on PC