Forums » Fallout

Fallout Shortcomings

• 215 posts
    May 23, 2017 5:14 PM EDT

For a game that I have really come to enjoy there are sure a lot of shortcomings with it.  More so than I recall with Skyrim or the ES games.

The worst is the non-tiering of weapons and armor.  It sucks to have a legendary item that is worthless by the time you are level 20.  It should be upgradeable with mods, caps or something to keep it viable.  It's freaking legendary!

Limited armor.  Yeah, I know it's the post apocolypse and all, but there is really no cool armor outside of mods.  Blech.  I love mods but I know in builds we try to keep that to a minimum for consoles and vanilla players. 

• 152 posts
    May 24, 2017 8:09 AM EDT

I agree that in general Fallout isn't as fleshed out Skyrim is in some ways, but in general I think Fallout has a pretty substantial amount of captivating equipment related paths. I mean, you have super expansive crafting that literally requires you to scavenge and barter your way around the Commonwealth with a variety of options to really make your guns your own (and make them fairly powerful) whereas Skyrim's interesting crafting tree was alchemy but even that doesn't match up to the caliber of detail in Fallout crafting. Even for armour, there are different tiers of the usual armor pieces (regular, sturdy, heavy) all of which can be crafted with different specifications (Pocketed, Asbesto-lined, etc) and you can make them stronger with the tiered mods (boiled, studded, etc) which also change the appearance of the armors. Throw that on top of the various uniqe post-apocalyptic clothes, most of which can be made combat-viable with ballistic weave and you have a hefty amount of variety. Don't even get me started on power armor and how much fun you can have with that stuff. Oh yeah, and random legendary variants, although annoying to try and get specific kinds sometimes, also help add to the joy of hunting down legendary enemies in the hopes of getting an explosive combat shotgun. In my opinion, the gear in Fallout 4 is f***ing awesome. If you're talking about Fallout 3 though, I totally agree

• 248 posts
    May 24, 2017 4:35 PM EDT

John - you made a name change! 

IDK, I mean we've discussed FO4 and where it could have been better ad nauseum. I don't really agree that outfits/armor is one of those. There's so many possiblities. Although, I will say I've really enjoyed a MOD that allows for more freedom (realistic) layering and freeing up Ballistic Weave to get aesthetics correct without forcing you into the RR faction. 

My main issue has been and will always be the limited dialogue options/voiced character which impede roleplay.

The legendary weapons thing is a bit of an issue, but typically you just keep getting better stuff as you go...or you track down know variants (overseer's gaurdian, etc).

• 215 posts
    May 24, 2017 4:36 PM EDT

Well, the recent article today about the Junk Jet is an example.  Useless basically from day one and definitely after about level 15. 

In my playthrough I just found a cool legendary drop this afternoon.  However, it's totally useless, I can't even mod it to anything remotely close to what I've currently got on me.  That's kind of what I was talking about.

• 248 posts
    May 24, 2017 4:37 PM EDT

Oh I see - you mean getting stuff later on that you can't really use...yeah that's a good point.

• 215 posts
    May 24, 2017 4:38 PM EDT

Mottyskills said:

John - you made a name change! 

IDK, I mean we've discussed FO4 and where it could have been better ad nauseum. I don't really agree that outfits/armor is one of those. There's so many possiblities. Although, I will say I've really enjoyed a MOD that allows for more freedom (realistic) layering and freeing up Ballistic Weave to get aesthetics correct without forcing you into the RR faction. 

My main issue has been and will always be the limited dialogue options/voiced character which impede roleplay.

The legendary weapons thing is a bit of an issue, but typically you just keep getting better stuff as you go...or you track down know variants (overseer's gaurdian, etc).

Granted that's true but nothing in the game really scales with you leveling, like they did in Skyrim. I think that's a place they missed the boat.  The mobs scale but the legendary's really don't.  It doesn't matter if you get the Junk Jet (example only) at level 5 or level 50, it is what it is. 

• 248 posts
    May 24, 2017 4:39 PM EDT

gotcha - yeah agreed

• 284 posts
    May 24, 2017 5:54 PM EDT

I'm just angry that you can't customize chained armor. It's the best piece of armor in the game, second only to MacCready's clothes. They remind me of the Couriers duster from New Vegas.