Forums » Elder Scrolls

Favorite Love/Hate quest in Skyrim?

• 22 posts
    April 30, 2017 7:16 PM EDT

What's your favorite Love/Hate quest in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim? (Ooh, fancy!) As in, what quest do you just love to death, but also wish you could literally just love it to death? If you can't think of anything: 1. How? How in Oblivion do you not love to hate/hate to love at least one thing about this game?! Is everything just completely black and white to you? Are you inhuman? (Don't take that literally as I'm sure some of you would love to correct me...) and 2. Well since we don't want you feeling left out, how about you talk aboiut your favorite/least favorite dilema or decsicion?

• 224 posts
    April 30, 2017 8:00 PM EDT

Blood on Ice would be my love to death quest, just because I love the reward, but hate the quest.

All of the College of Winerhold's quest would be my death to love quest, just because I think that whole questline is crap, but I get the Archmage Robes which look cool.

• 585 posts
    May 1, 2017 3:52 AM EDT

Bleak Falls Barrow. I'm bloody sick of doing it and if there was an option to skip it I would, but the nostalgia and the connotations of the quest (it's kinda where a character is born in my eyes, as my restartitis-fueled builds rarely make it past there) means that I can't help feel 'right' after doing it.

• 278 posts
    May 3, 2017 9:03 AM EDT

I'm going to have to be honest and say the main questline, probably starting with Barrows. It has it's ups and downs, a major up being sovngarde and killing your first dragon, and some downs being ever meeting the blades, and forever have the killing paarthunax quest marker in my log. D: 

Not to mention I too suffer from a severe case of restartitis, and often don't even kill a dragon, just finishing the quests needed for the build.

• 77 posts
    May 3, 2017 12:41 PM EDT

I love the faction quests and hate that they all end with you as the leader.  Really I would be happier if Brynjolf became guildmaster, Vilkas became harbinger, and one of the master wizards became the new archmage with the opportunity of you taking their place as a master wizard of the college.

• 167 posts
    May 3, 2017 1:42 PM EDT

College of Winterhold questline. I like to have a base like the College in Skyrim that studies the arcane and all when I play my arcane archers/warriors characters but damn I wish this questline was different and could manage to make you feel the "Mage" element in it some more. It is lacking in so many areas and it looks like it was done rushed with zero depth in it. The first time I did it I was like wait what?? that 's it...?? It was my first major dissapointment in Skyrim. I really hope there was an overhaul quest mod for the questline :P.

• 22 posts
    May 3, 2017 2:34 PM EDT
    Vargr White-Tree said:

I love the faction quests and hate that they all end with you as the leader.  Really I would be happier if Brynjolf became guildmaster, Vilkas became harbinger, and one of the master wizards became the new archmage with the opportunity of you taking their place as a master wizard of the college.

What about the Bards College? You don't end up as the headmaster for them =P
    • 278 posts
    May 3, 2017 6:50 PM EDT

Can I do a double? If so.

The Companions. I mean, what? You're told to beat up a guy, and then go to a dank cave. After that, which takes about 30 minutes, you're part of the werewolf klub for kool kids. The rewards are fantastic, but the actual story is abhorent and unthought out. I wish Kodlak survived. Vargr raises a good point. It would be cool if, say, Veezara survived the DB ransacking, and became leader, or I would have loved Brynjolf to stay the Guildmaster. Also, I wish you could complete the Thieves Guild without Nightingales. For some reason, I don't like them. Dunno why.

• 367 posts
    May 3, 2017 7:48 PM EDT

InnocentKhajiit

The Companions were a half hearted rushed faction which had corners cut. 

Proof? Aela the Huntress. In the Skyrim program there is speech for her to go with you on your trial. There was supposed to be an option or a way where either she or Farkas took you. 

There is a mod which expands on The Companions though and you can have Aela go with you on your trial. 

Enhanced Skyrim Factions The Companions Guild. Sorry I can't link it. 

Appologies for going off track here but this feels like a thorn in my paw too. Thank Hircine for Mods.

Sotek Loyal Hound of Hircine

• 13 posts
    May 4, 2017 8:43 AM EDT
    Agent of Mara. I do it for every playthrough because it's free magic resistance, but it's boring and long.
    • 22 posts
    May 4, 2017 9:08 PM EDT

Well, that's annoying! It stopped sending me messages whenever someone responds... Anyway, to answer your question InnocentKhajiit, yes, feel free to list multiple quests if you so desire. You won't be marked down for it (Officaly =p) so don't worry.

• 7 posts
    May 5, 2017 11:37 AM EDT

You actually can have Aela go on your trial, just don't take the quest from Farkas when he says "By the way, if you're looking for something to do..." and go and speak with Aela instead.

I love the Companions quest but going from mocked whelp to Harbinger is far too fast, I have some problems trying to get my head to keep up with the story RP wise.

I hate the sodding Gildergreen quest. I know it's a side/optional, but I hate it from the moment I'm told to kill a hagraven who will undoubtedly kick my arse if I'm remotely unprepared to stabbing a tree in the root. The quest makes me feel like a wang; even if I go down the sapling path (branch?) I still stab a tree.

And I might be all alone on this one, but I hate the Dark Brotherhood. The quest in and of itself is ok, though in spite of my many hours in Skyrim I only completed it for the first time recently and I found it was one of the most overhyped things ever. I was disappointed almost every step of the way, the only truly awesome thing being Shadowmere - and ok, the fact the Brotherhood are pretty snappy dressers. I was depressed through most of it, and ashamed of myself during that thing on the boat. The only character I felt any kinship with was Babette, who seemed to kill people because they did evil things, at least most of the time. The rest of the gang was made up of rude and condescending psychopaths who, given the popularity of the quest line, made me worry for the human race. I wished there was another way to help Aventis, who is so genuinely miserable, or a way to turn the Brotherhood into a group that preys on the wicked, of which there is hardly a shortage.

• 367 posts
    May 5, 2017 1:44 PM EDT

Vixsyn said

You actually can have Aela go on your trial, just don't take the quest from Farkas when he says "By the way, if you're looking for something to do..." and go and speak with Aela instead.

Any guesses what I'll be trying this weekend?

Sotek Loyal Hound of Hircine

• 41 posts
    May 7, 2017 2:38 AM EDT
    Marriage. Can you truly be married if it's never consummated? *Mic drop*
    • 22 posts
    May 7, 2017 2:48 AM EDT

Jeffrey said: Marriage. Can you truly be married if it's never consummated? *Mic drop*
     Hahahahahahahaha That's the best answer so far!

• 367 posts
    May 7, 2017 3:38 PM EDT

Jeffrey: Marriage. Can you truly be married if it's never consummated? *Mic drop*

*discreete howl. There's a mod for that...

Let's be honest here; at least half of you were thinking it. I just had the paws to say it.

• 22 posts
    May 11, 2017 12:58 AM EDT

I think it's time to finally stop procrastinating and throw in my own response to my own topic! Wait, does it count as a response if you're responding to yourself? Is it along the lines of talking to yourself or is it normal? OK, before I get completely off topic here's mine. Beware as it's a fairly... undecided/highly debated/controversial...

My biggest Love/Hate quest is...

Paarthurnax! (Warning: Spoilers ahead!)

Now I know it's a little weird but hear me out. First off I'll say why I hate this quest. 1. The person who gives it to you, Delphine, is very out of line (In my opinion) when she asks you to kill your dragon teacher pal. Honestly, when you really think about it, Delphine herself doesn't help you much, if at all. Esbern does at least some of the work. I mean, you get the dragon stone, you kill the dragons, you break into the Thalmor Embassy, you save Esbern, you get their base back for them, and you clear out all those dungeons and caves while she just sits back and takes a load off! 2. We all know this is a big, decisive quest about whether or not you kill Paarthurnax but you can't really finalize your option unless you kill him! It's always in your quest log since you can't take it out unless you kill him. It gets really annoying always having that journal entry that says: Kill Paarthurnax if you don't want to kill him. And 3. I don't like killing lil ol' Paarthy but I also don't like blowing off the Blades... Well, I don't like blowing off Esbern, he's cool.

Now onto why I love it! Many people like to think that this is a question of morality or justice when it really isn't. I'm pretty sure that most of you know what the Dragonborn a.k.a. the Dovahkiin is supposed to be the protector of Nirn, the hero of all mankind, (Yes, that includes all other races as well like Mer and the beast races) the hero with the soul of a dragon, blessed by Shor himself. It's written in the Elder Scrolls themselves that The Last Dragonborn is destined to save the world from Alduin's rage. But I bet some of you didn't know that Dovahkiin has a second translation, meaning Dragon/Dragon-kind (Dov(More specifically dragon-kind)) Hunter (Ah) Born (Kiin) or Born to Hunt Dragon-kind. They are the ultimate dragon slayer, the only person able to put a dragon in the ground for good, the true leader of the Blades. They're big purpose in life is to hunt down every last dragon and slay that beast like an actually useful cat to a really buff, magical mouse. They care not for the morality or moral-allignment of the dragon, the only good dragon in their eyes is a dead one. That's just how they are. And it isn't really wrong, it still follows the Dragonborn namesake, some may just see this as more brutal than necessary.

So in the end, this quest isn't about good or bad, right vs wrong, justice against chaos (I'm feelin' fancy) it's all about interpretation. It's about what you think the Dragonborn, the Dovahkiin, really is. Will you be the ever faithful Protecter of Nirn and keep safe this dragon who has vowed to stay on the side of peace? Or will you be the vigilant Dragon Hunter who is merciless on your conquest against dragon-kind? That's what I interpret this quest to be anyway. It could easily be said that this is a decision about something else!