Forums » Elder Scrolls

What are your "must-play" Quest Mods for TESV?

• April 28, 2017 12:26 AM EDT

Skyrim has hundreds of quest mods available - and while I've played my fair share of them, there are only a handful of quest mods that quite literally have taken my breath away.

For me, the quest mods I would absolutely recommend to anyone are (in no particular order):

Clockwork (Clockwork Castle)

Holy shit. I was not prepared for this mod. It's incredibly well-done and creepy as fuck, pardon my french. The basic premise is that the Dragonborn stumbles upon an old castle after a landslide uncovers the tunnel that leads to it. The castle itself hasn't seen a living soul in centuries, yet it is still inhabited. You also soon realize that the way back out is shut and you will have to discover a new way out if you want to escape the castle.

All the while, you are being haunted by a creepy apparition that seems to follow you, as you attempt to learn what happened to the family that once lived here.

The entire mystery surrounding the Castle is absolutely intriguing and the way certain events played out are brilliant and creative - highly recommended.

Darkend

I've never actually touched a Dark Souls game, but after playing this mod, I would definitely consider it. Darkend is a beautiful New Lands mod that aims to replicate the Dark Souls feeling, attempting to bring it to Skyrim. And I must say, they've achieved their goal 100%. 

The mod is giant, and the entire atmosphere is creepy as hell, perfectly replicating what the Dark Souls games look and feel like. After beginning the mod, the Dragonborn arrives on a mysterious island called Phalos with absolutely no guidance whatsoever. There is no quest, no markers or journal entries. Just exploration. The entire town is deserted but through journals and letters left behind, you eventually can sort of piece together what might have happened. Aside from that, your on your own, free to explore the abandoned town as you see fit.

The buildings are designed like in Dark Souls, i.e: very narrow corridors and pathways that limit your line of sight so grotesque creatures can catch you off guard at the next corner. The bosses are unique looking and challenging (especially the final bosses) and in general, you are kept tensed up the entire time, always expecting something creepy to happen. It's awesome. Oh, and they even have the cool Fog Gates you can walk through before fighting a boss! 

Apotheosis - Lifeless Vaults

This mod is not for the impatient gamer. You will die - and often. And it's amazing. Apotheosis is fairly straight-forward: after starting the quest, you will discover a dwemer ruin which you have to survive, thus beginning a series of amazing boss battles that will leave even the most skilled Dragonborn exhausted and dangerously close to death.

The beautiful thing about this mod (aside from the atmosphere they've managed to create) is by far the bosses that have been developed for the mod. It's been a while since I played, so I've forgotten how many there are, but I can tell you none of them are "easier" than the other - each boss is unique in their combat style and will require different strategies to be taken down. 

On top of that, each boss has their own unique fight music that plays in the background, which is absolutely perfect and fits so well into the mood of the mod. 

----

So there you have it. My favorite quest mods (as of now). Honorable mentions definitely include:

The Forgotten City (Absolutely brilliant - I didn't mention it only because it is one of the most famous quest mods out there that a lot of people have played)

Voyage to the Dreamborne Isles (simply breathtaking. I spent more time doing screenshots than trying to solve the quest hahah)

Wheels of Lull (I didn't think I'd enjoy this one but I was very wrong about that. Nicely done).

So yeah - what Quest mods are your personal "you have to play this?"

• 224 posts
    April 28, 2017 4:40 AM EDT

Though it isn't great of a quest mod, I would have to say Undeath, and it is because of one thing. You can become a Lich, and as a person who plays a Necromancer a lot this is great.

• 743 posts
    April 28, 2017 7:23 AM EDT

Great discussion, Pestilence. As an Xbox scrub, I only have the Forgotten City so far in terms of quest mods (that I know of, don't quote me :P). So as far as vanilla quests are concerned, I think the prison break quest with the Forsworn is one of the most memorable quests I've had in Skyrim. Tied with it would be climbing aboard the Emperor's personal ship and assassinating him. That was extremely cool to experience on the first playthrough.

• 288 posts
    April 28, 2017 7:36 AM EDT

None. I'm a purist and fan-made quest addons seem artificial to me. I doubt Bethesda will recognize them as canon anyway.

But if I every play anything like that it would be "Destroy the Thieves Guild".

• 224 posts
    April 28, 2017 7:56 AM EDT

RogueSilver said:

Great discussion, Pestilence. As an Xbox scrub, I only have the Forgotten City so far in terms of quest mods (that I know of, don't quote me :P). So as far as vanilla quests are concerned, I think the prison break quest with the Forsworn is one of the most memorable quests I've had in Skyrim. Tied with it would be climbing aboard the Emperor's personal ship and assassinating him. That was extremely cool to experience on the first playthrough.

There are Undeath and Falskaar on Xbox for quest mods, also.

• 295 posts
    April 28, 2017 8:06 AM EDT

Pit Fighters by Thirteen Oranges - Based out of Windhelm, you get to fight all around Tamriel with the travel add on. You rise through rankings. Great for a fighter character. 

Wyrmstooth - Just a fun quest with a new dragon shout and you get to be inside a draugr for part of the quest. Nice detail even though some of the voice acting sounds like they are in a tin can.  

Immersive College of Winterhold's The Fall of Winterhold - I will not spoil the fun of this short quest. Just go become Arch-mage. 

Midden Expanded - No hand-holding, but an atmopsheric expansion of the college midden and a great home for a darker wizard.

Intersting NPCs - There are about 50 or so quests in this mod. Ranging from silly fun to very touching. 

Finding Mercer Frey - Remember all the sheeeeet he stole from the guild? Well this mod gets it back. Some of the dungeon layouts are montonous, but you get some nice loot and you get to mess wit Frey again, but in spirit form. 

Skyrim's Scholarly Adventures - no hand holding. Find a cabin along the coast near Windhelm and then read books. Follow the clues in the books. One of the hardests quests I've ever played. 

I am trying Undeath, but going the other direction, as a necromancer hunter trying to stop a necromancer.

• 167 posts
    April 28, 2017 8:36 AM EDT

@Pestilence  -  All the quest mods you mention are great so I will list some others ^_^.

Helgen Reborn rebuild Helgen, great quest mod.

Recruit More Blades , also the Fight Against the Thalmor Series of mods they are 4 and good for people playing character that are.. against the Thalmor.

Undeath is also a nice quest mod for necromancers (you can become a lich) or for those against necromancy, undead and all that it covers both.

Cutting Room Floor it will add things and quest that Bethesda cut off from the game

Moon and Star it will ad a main questline, some side quests and a few other things what you chose has an impact in the development and after you finish it.

Moonpath to Elsweyr pay a visit to Elsweyr :D

• 167 posts
    April 28, 2017 8:41 AM EDT

Oh yes Lissette Wyrmstooth is a nice one sadly I didn't get the chance to play it before the author removed it from skyrim nexus.

Also one mod I forgot is: Falskaar a lot of work went into this one it's a DLC size quest mod.

• April 28, 2017 10:16 AM EDT

Alister the King of Worms said:

Though it isn't great of a quest mod, I would have to say Undeath

This has been on my to-play list for a while! Only reason I haven't touched it is because I so rarely play necromancers.

RogueSilver said:

As an Xbox scrub, I only have the Forgotten City so far in terms of quest mods

I'm 100% sure more will come! Forgotten City was also one of my first quest mods and I loved it. 

And as Alister pointed out, there's Undeath and Falskaar - though I haven't played either yet. 

Overhate said:

None. I'm a purist and fan-made quest addons seem artificial to me. I doubt Bethesda will recognize them as canon anyway.

I used to be exactly like that. For me, quest mods were something I started doing after I'd done every possible thing imaginable in vanilla. 

BUT. There are some very lore-friendly requests I can definitely recommend - quests that feel as if they should have been in the game all along.

Lissette mentioned Pit Fighter, which is by a mod author who is known for creating very lore-friendly quest mods. Seriously, Pit Fighter feels like it should have been a vanilla feature.

There's also The Notice Board, which is inspired by The Witcher. It adds a notice board in cities and towns where you can take up miscellaneous radiant quests - highly recommended.

• April 28, 2017 10:43 AM EDT

@Lissette: Pit Fighters is soo good, totally forgot to mention it! One of my favorite mods. I've never tried the rest of the mods you mentioned, but some of them certainly pique my interest! Although I believe Wyrmstooth got deleted by the author if I'm not mistaken.

@Duvain: Helgen Reborn is great, it was my first quest mod I think and I enjoyed it a lot. Moon and Star was a great mod too.

I've heard a lot of good things about Fight Against The Thalmor as well! Might try it out

• 284 posts
    April 30, 2017 6:39 AM EDT

I have 3 mods that I love.

Rigmor of Bruma, you get a plus with INIGO.

Agent of Rightess Might

Fight against the Thalmor is just as awesome.