Forums » Elder Scrolls

What Song Would You Base a Skyrim Character Build Around?

    • 444 posts
    April 25, 2017 9:01 PM EDT

    Music Worth Basing a Build Upon

    So, the other day I was driving home when The Sound of Winter by Bush made the round on my mp3 player. I’ve heard this song hundreds of times, but I was in a Skyrim-y kind of mood, and for whatever reason thought to myself: “You know, if I were ever to make a cryomancer build, I think I’d link this song to it.” Granted, the song itself has very little to do with cold other than a mention of ‘winter’ in the chorus, but the mention is there and the song has the kind of vibe that I would feel comfortable tacking onto a build… it’s something I’ve done a few times before.

    Then I came to a sudden realization: while character building inspiration for me comes from a myriad of sources (events and contests, characters from books, a playstyle or skill that I’ve never used before, TES lore, and even stories from the Vault’s Story Corner), I have never based a build around a song (which is kind of weird because I am easily influenced by music xD).

    That got me thinking. If I were to create a character build based around a song, what song would I choose? What kind of build would it be? Immediately, I saw the problem with a question like this--too many songs--my brain would never allow me to sift through them, let alone choose one. But as my mind floated along this current of thought, the next song on my player started:

    “There Is a Light” by Nick Cave from the Batman Forever soundtrack.

    Maybe it’s the dark feel of the song. Or perhaps it’s the song's connotation and context. Or it might simply be because it was the first song that came on after I asked myself the question, but something struck a chord, and I thought, “This song could make a pretty cool build!” Here is what I would build around the song…

    The Beacon

    This is: a gritty, chaotic-good aligned vigilante, a bandit hunter, a shaker-down of arch-villains, a disrupter of evil organizations, an ends-justifies-the-means protector of various holds. Heck, he may even just stick to one hold, protecting the city and the surrounding area.

    This is not: a Dark Knight (AKA Batman) build. As dark as Batman is, he’s still too noble. Too high. Too mighty. Also, Batman’s got super powers (please don’t try to convince me he doesn’t… a limitless supply of currency and tech at his disposal? That’s like using console commands to get all the gold, weapons, and gear you want at level 1 and is a way cooler super power than laser vision or breathing underwater xD).

    No, The Beacon is more grassroots and gritty. Something like...

     

    ...Casey Jones from Eastman and Laird’s Mid-80’s comic book series, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!

    Decked out with something akin to a metal hockey mask and a golf bag full of various blunt weapons, he patrols the city and surrounding hold by night and brutally pounds evil doers into the ground… perhaps occasionally accruing a bounty for attacking citizens he knows are dirty. Hear that, Maven Black-Briar? You’re getting a hockey stick upside the bean… don’t care if you’re essential and can’t be killed! :D

     

    So how about you?

    What song would you pick, and how would you structure a build around it?


    This post was edited by ShinJin at April 25, 2017 9:02 PM EDT
    • 32 posts
    April 25, 2017 10:12 PM EDT

    Still very much in the design process but coming together slowly into a fully realized character/build/playthrough/roleplay but my *name still in testing* Ashlander Witchblade. A shamanistic nightblade assassin character colored heavily with ashlander culture and a rich, dark backstory is definatly well represented by the song Night of the Hunter by 30 Seconds to Mars. An infectious melody coupled with dark lyrics that can be interpreted a number of ways...few of them positive in anyway really strikes to the core of my onion of an ashlander. Cool topic!

    • 13 posts
    April 25, 2017 10:39 PM EDT

    Anyone here familiar with the book series The Dresden Files?

    For those that don't know, it follows a wizard working as a private investigator in Chicago who deals with supernatural threats the police department aren't equipped to handle.

    Anyway, in the 14th book in the series, Cold Days, there's a scene where the protagonist is among the fae-folk and is waltzing along to a String Quartet rendition of Shinedown's "45":

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k9_MU1lMoc

    Without spoiling too much, the protagonist kills someone and then calmly continues dancing with his partner to that piece. And it's completely badass.


    ---

    That's the first thing I thought of when I read this post. If I were to do a cryomancer/Dresden Files- inspired build, that would certainly be the inspiration behind it.

    • 444 posts
    April 25, 2017 11:10 PM EDT

    Amornar said:

    Still very much in the design process but coming together slowly into a fully realized character/build/playthrough/roleplay but my *name still in testing* Ashlander Witchblade. A shamanistic nightblade assassin character colored heavily with ashlander culture and a rich, dark backstory is definatly well represented by the song Night of the Hunter by 30 Seconds to Mars. An infectious melody coupled with dark lyrics that can be interpreted a number of ways...few of them positive in anyway really strikes to the core of my onion of an ashlander.

    I'm not all that familiar with 30 Seconds to Mars, but they do a pretty good job with dark. Oftentimes 'dark' is either a little too explicit, or just too obvious, but these guys hit it just right... nice selection! I'm also intrigued by the build you're working on (just saw the build preview poster). Tomorrow, when I get a bit of time to sit down and read, I think I'll pay that WIP a visit ;D

    Pestilence said:

    Anyone here familiar with the book series The Dresden Files?

    Anyway, in the 14th book in the series, Cold Days, there's a scene where the protagonist is among the fae-folk and is waltzing along to a String Quartet rendition of Shinedown's "45":

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k9_MU1lMoc

    I agonized over The Dresden Files! I had a Garrett P.I. Omnibus in one hand and a Dresden Files book in the other, and could only get one. I chose Garret because I had read some of Glen Cook's other books and ir seemed like less of a risk... I still often wonder 'what if,' though. I've heard good things about  The Dresden Files from others on this site, so I can see myself reading them in the future :D

    I gave that rendition a listen, and it's really cool (even cooler considering the context you mentioned from the Dresden Files ;D)

     

    • 13 posts
    April 25, 2017 11:33 PM EDT

    Shinjin: Oh man, The Dresden files are so good. And they keep consistently getting better too - I'll be honest, while the first few books are great, it's really the later books that shine. I personally started on book 12 and that got me hooked immediately for the other 14 (though in hindsight I wouldn't recommend starting at 12 because there are some extremely major spoilers related to the rest of the books).

    Tl;DR: The Dresden Files are definitely worth the read.

    • 1452 posts
    April 26, 2017 4:06 AM EDT

    Great topic, Shin! Music is a language we all understand, to take that emotional resonance and try and have it expressed within a build is pretty gosh, darn clever. I think Metallica's The Unforgiven has promise. That riff of Morricone's Ecstasy of Gold running through it, "never free. Never me. So I dub thee Unforgiven." That's western af! 


    This post was edited by Paws at April 26, 2017 4:08 AM EDT
    • 284 posts
    April 26, 2017 7:05 AM EDT

    LoL, Metallica has lots of options:

    Master of Puppets (necromancer)

    Leper Messiah (poison damage)

    Damage Inc. (dual wield maces)

    The Thing that Should not Be (Argonian Werewolf Cannibal)

    Enter Sandman (sneak vampire assassin)

    Blackened (Auriel's bow with bloodcursed arrows vampire)

    And Justice for All (crusader)

    etc..

    Me.... I'd probably use Slayer's "War Ensemble"

    The final swing is not a drill
    It's how many people I can kill

    • 59 posts
    April 26, 2017 7:36 AM EDT

    Actually the build I 'm working on right now was inspired by a piece of music (and some reading I did at the time I thought of the build) it is the skeleton archer which is up in the workshop i present the general idea behind the build there.

    That's the one:  Click Here  It is one of my favorites.

    He was once a great scholar and wizard that ended up becoming an undead (not a vampire). There will be a roleplay profile on this character as well at some point.

     

    His backstory is inspired by this song: Click Here  Also one of my favorites and changed my mind to go for a light backstory with a somewhat quirky/funny main character rather than a dark one.

    It might be against the rules that I used two songs :P but I really took inspiration from two different songs here the first to make the theme of the character and the second to make his backstory.

    A piece of music is one of my major inspirations to make a character/build along with themes from the fantasy genre in general.


    This post was edited by Duvain at April 26, 2017 7:39 AM EDT
    • 444 posts
    April 26, 2017 10:31 AM EDT

    Overhate said:

    The Thing that Should not Be (Argonian Werewolf Cannibal)

    xD

    I agree. It's almost like Metallica was made for character building (most likely it's because they do some pretty impressive character buildering with their lyrics).

    • 444 posts
    April 26, 2017 10:38 AM EDT

    Phil said:

    I think Metallica's The Unforgiven has promise. That riff of Morricone's Ecstasy of Gold running through it, "never free. Never me. So I dub thee Unforgiven." That's western af! 

    YES! Unforgiven would make a great dark and conflicted character build, and I love Morricone (my dad used to have all the albums on vinyl). I'd love to build a character around the Fistfull of Dollars theme... it's got a skip to it but with an underlying melancholy. Honestly, when I find myself between builds to play and don't know what to do, I may just come back to this thread and steal some of these ideas for personal playthroughs xD

    • 444 posts
    April 26, 2017 10:44 AM EDT

    Duvain said:

    That's the one:  Click Here  It is one of my favorites.

    I can see why... that Zack Hemsey song is the bees knees. Definitely something that I wouldn't mind playing in the background (and the mood fits a wide variety of builds). Just may download it so the next time I'm on I can loop it while I play ;D

    Dang it! I'm gonna have to check out the Skeleton Archer now as well... a lot of builds and WiP's are flying under my radar :(

    • 59 posts
    April 26, 2017 10:50 AM EDT

    Glad you like it, whenever I am on PC and browse things, reading or playing games I always have a playlist with this kind of music in the background. Actually this fantasy/epic genre of music is the one I listen to the most.


    This post was edited by Duvain at April 26, 2017 10:50 AM EDT
    • 224 posts
    April 26, 2017 11:37 AM EDT

    I can't say that music has helped me with a build, but I will say music helped out on my naming guides.

    Altmer - I listened to a lot of Greek Myth and Greek Historical Metal

    Bosmer - I listened to the Native American Metal

    Dunmer - I listened to a lot of Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden

    Breton - I listened to a lot Celtic Metal and Irish Folk

    Nord - I listened to Amon Amarth

    Imperials - I listened to EX DEO

    • 444 posts
    April 26, 2017 12:08 PM EDT

    Alister the Healer said:

    I can't say that music has helped me with a build, but I will say music helped out on my naming guides.

    Altmer - I listened to a lot of Greek Myth and Greek Historical Metal

    Bosmer - I listened to the Native American Metal

    Dunmer - I listened to a lot of Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden

    Breton - I listened to a lot Celtic Metal and Irish Folk

    Nord - I listened to Amon Amarth

    Imperials - I listened to EX DEO

    Wow! I have to level with you... I had no idea there were that many sub-genres of metal. Also, I never thought to use music as a muse for naming characters. That is another cool and unique concept to me :D

    • 1235 posts
    April 26, 2017 12:13 PM EDT

    Oh toughie. There's a werewolf character whose theme song would basically be

    But as for a character based off a song, hmm...

    • Moderator
    • 726 posts
    April 26, 2017 12:15 PM EDT

    As someone who exclusively plays assassins, what could be more fitting than Night Prolwer?

    • 507 posts
    April 26, 2017 1:18 PM EDT

    Anything by Sabaton makes me want to play a badass-Stormcloak-Nord-Dragonborn-Warrior, it pumps you up loads and that's the only feasible character to match the testosterone of the song.

     

    • 59 posts
    April 26, 2017 1:25 PM EDT

    Sabaton is amazing they have so many good songs that make you wanna go and kick some ass! :D

    • 224 posts
    April 26, 2017 1:44 PM EDT

    ShinJin said:

    Alister the Healer said:

    I can't say that music has helped me with a build, but I will say music helped out on my naming guides.

    Altmer - I listened to a lot of Greek Myth and Greek Historical Metal

    Bosmer - I listened to the Native American Metal

    Dunmer - I listened to a lot of Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden

    Breton - I listened to a lot Celtic Metal and Irish Folk

    Nord - I listened to Amon Amarth

    Imperials - I listened to EX DEO

    Wow! I have to level with you... I had no idea there were that many sub-genres of metal. Also, I never thought to use music as a muse for naming characters. That is another cool and unique concept to me :D

    Oh, trust me there are many sub-genres of Metal music from Classic Heavy Metal to NWBHM to Djent, I am quite a Metalhead. Yeah, it helps or at least it helped me to name my characters and even do those guides, so I am glad you find that cool :D.

    • 444 posts
    April 26, 2017 3:03 PM EDT

    Chris said:

    Oh toughie. There's a werewolf character whose theme song would basically be

    Actually, that Skillet song would be a great source of inspiration to make a werewolf build :D

    • 1235 posts
    April 26, 2017 3:07 PM EDT

    ShinJin said:

    Chris said:

    Oh toughie. There's a werewolf character whose theme song would basically be

    Actually, that Skillet song would be a great source of inspiration to make a werewolf build :D

    Or Animal I Have Become

    • 444 posts
    April 26, 2017 3:10 PM EDT

    RogueSilver said:

    As someone who exclusively plays assassins, what could be more fitting than Night Prolwer?

    I looked those lyrics over... oh yeah! Perfect song for an assassin (especially where he mentions a body in suspended animation when he slips into their room--that's some pretty dark, assassin-y stuff ;D)

    How is it I didn't know you played mainly assassins? Seems like I would have figured that out by now... I love how I keep finding out new things about members of this site xD

    • 444 posts
    April 26, 2017 3:16 PM EDT

    Zonnonn said:

    Anything by Sabaton makes me want to play a badass-Stormcloak-Nord-Dragonborn-Warrior, it pumps you up loads and that's the only feasible character to match the testosterone of the song.

    Okay. That video was pretty freaking boss... so many stories!

    • 444 posts
    April 26, 2017 3:26 PM EDT

    Chris said:

    Or Animal I Have Become

    Even better! I like the stuff I've heard on the radio from Three Days Grace over the years. It's one of those guilty little pleasures... I say guilty because my wife always rolls her eyes when she hears me listening to it, and gives me that weren't-you-an-emotive-teenager-like-a-billion-years-ago look.

    Some people just don't get it xD

    • 150 posts
    April 26, 2017 3:26 PM EDT
    LOL. I had done this a while back for one of my builds.