Forums » General Gaming

Mass Effect Andromeda?

• 1467 posts
    April 20, 2017 1:22 AM EDT

So, while I personally am not a fan of the series (yet, I still need to get past the first 30 minutes of Mass Effect One) it's really caught me by surprise that it's been almost impossible to find any talk about ME: Andromeda on the site, either before or after the release. From what I've been able to tell it was more-or-less one of the most hyped games in years and yet on the Vault it seemed to more or less go undiscussed. This is kind of strange, since our RPG Group has shown a lot of love for the series, and the uh...bugger, can't remember the name of it but the Mass Effect Group was the most succesful non TES/FO single game group that we've had.

So, I have to ask...Is the latest Mass Effect game so bad that nobody is talking about it because they haven't played much of it/don't want to play it, or is it just people getting into it still? I know there are a lot of reviews saying that it kind of sucks (in comparison to the older games) but it'd be interesting to know if that's an opinion shared by our memberbase.

• 277 posts
    April 20, 2017 1:41 AM EDT
    I bought my copy on March 31-st and I've been playing it non stop in my free time. It has many flaws. The game was rushed, they screwed the adepts big time by removing warp and replacing it with lance (same thing but no target seeking capability) and generally a lot of bugs mainly regarding face animations, event completion and camera angles during conversations. But I love the game. I stood glaring at the starting screen for 5 full minutes just admiring the view. It's very reminiscent of Mass Effect 1. It's open world, massive and just beautiful. I'm in love with the blue jungles of Havarl. They brought the inventory system back. Some tech abilities like disrupting ammo have been replaced by consumables. Oh yeah, and now you can jump and dodge. It took me quite some time getting used to it because there's just SO MUCH of it. And to answer your question, I'm just way too busy playing it to talk about it with other people.
    This post was edited by Noodles at April 20, 2017 1:49 AM EDT
    • 649 posts
    April 20, 2017 1:46 AM EDT
    It's Mass Effect. Any fan of the series will enjoy the game. I grabbed the game on 16th for early access and already have 200 hours in it, playing lot of multiplayer. It's a good game.
    • 627 posts
    April 20, 2017 1:55 AM EDT

Before I go into what I think of Andromeda I think I'll give you an idea of how I view the trilogy so you can understand what I was thinking going into it. I didn't play it until a couple of years ago but I loved the first game's story and even grew to like its gameplay. The second game other then introducing Mordin was crap and the third game had some nice gameplay. That should do, now onto Andromeda. I wasn't expecting the world of the game, but I'd be lying if I told you I wasn't hooked on it once I booted it up. I completed my first playthrough in a couple of days and loved pretty much all of it. Despite that I'll admit that its flawed but what game isn't? I've even been thinking of streaming it at some point once I've got the current batch of assignments submitted.

• 1467 posts
    April 20, 2017 1:57 AM EDT

And to answer your question, I'm just way too busy playing it to talk about it with other people. 

It's Mass Effect. Any fan of the series will enjoy the game. I grabbed the game on 16th for early access and already have 200 hours in it, playing lot of multiplayer. It's a good game.

That's really the best case scenario here, I suppose. So, correct me if I'm wrong but as someone who hasn't played any of the main series, I could theoretically jump into Andromeda and more or less get most of the game? I know there'd be a lot of Lore and that kind of thing that I'd probably miss but I don't really have the time to play the first three if it's needed to enjoy Andromeda.

That reminds me, have either of you guys seen Ponty's first build for the game, The Pioneer? It's kind of what made me ask this question and is kind of getting me into the idea buying the game (I've been watching a bit of gameplay stuff since then). 

Despite that I'll admit that its flawed but what game isn't? I've even been thinking of streaming it at some point once I've got the current batch of assignments submitted.

Edit: Well then Golden, if you do stream it I'll have to watch it just to get a better idea of the gameplay. 

This post was edited by SpookyBorn2021 at April 20, 2017 2:00 AM EDT
    • 649 posts
    April 20, 2017 2:12 AM EDT
    Singleplayer builds? Don't see a point in those really. The way the game is created, with it's 3 abilities and the option to switch between favourites with cooldown penalty, it doesn't really matter. Pick 3, pick 9, doesn't matter, just learn to shoot. Multiplayer gives you those 3 abilities max anyway and it all comes down whether you have good weapon and if you can shoot with it effectively (unless you're melee kroguard).
    As for Andromeda being enjoyable without playing previous games...not sure. I remember playing through the game and in some cases thinking: "Man, if I haven't played the previous games I would be really confused."
    • 277 posts
    April 20, 2017 3:00 AM EDT
    I'm currently at 50% completion and up until now there have been a couple references to the original trilogy but only to appease the fans. But I know it in my gut there's more to come. I don't think you need to know or like each of the previous games to enjoy this one. As I've said, Andromeda is a lot like ME1 and I liked that one the least, yet I very much enjoy Andromeda. Imo, ME3 is one of the best games I've ever played, not counting one of the worst endings I've experienced in my gaming experience. I guess I'll be able to share more once I complete Andromeda. Right now, I'm having the time of my life playing it.
    This post was edited by Noodles at April 20, 2017 3:00 AM EDT