Forums » Fallout

Fallout 4 Tips

• 284 posts
    April 14, 2017 2:12 AM EDT

Hello everyone! :)

In a few days I will get to play Fallout 4 for the first time (late to the party, I know). I have a lot of experience from FO3 and New Vegas but I wanted to ask how should I play it for the first time. The classic way of just completing quests and levelling up as much as possible or should I play with a build?

• 277 posts
    April 14, 2017 3:17 AM EDT
    I recommed the classic way. Find what you like about the game and stick with it. And of course, post the character build you come up with. :D
    • 13 posts
    April 14, 2017 11:56 AM EDT
    I recommend running through it blind, and just do quests or do what comes naturally. Throw a few hours into getting to know the map and figuring out what's cool about the game vs what isn't, then restart and play a build that focuses on what you thought was cool. But definitely run through once and take what the game gives you for a while before getting specific.
    • 215 posts
    April 14, 2017 1:23 PM EDT

I'd agree with Chunk.  I started blind and then quickly got into building characters.  I just finally finished the main quest and it was tough with all my "baggage" from being through many parts of the game before and honestly it was hard to finish..lol.  So go with the flow the first time, enjoy the game.  Then you can get into building because you won't want to go all the way to 40 or 60 or (heaven forbid) 90+ after you've done it a dozen times already..lol.

• 215 posts
    April 14, 2017 1:25 PM EDT

But I will say, maybe look thru a few builds to have an idea of perks (probably similar to what you're used to in FO3 and NV but there are some changes.  So just decide melee, guns, rifles; auto or non-auto and that gets your basic perks down.

• 284 posts
    April 14, 2017 1:39 PM EDT

I did some research on the game and saw that The Railroad fits best to my gameplay. They live underground, always on the run from the Institute. I like the "rebellion" way of life. Also, I like normal armor more then power armor.

• 13 posts
    April 14, 2017 1:50 PM EDT
    John makes a good point, and if you already think you're leaning towards joining RR, look quick at the handgun and rifle perks. RR gets you Deliverer and Tinker Tom Special, both awesome guns for someone that uses VATS a lot. Maybe I'm getting a little too specific but you'll see quickly the perks, weapons, and play styles that compliment each other. And it sounds like you already have an idea of what you want to do, so if anything do a character just to mess with crafting and see if you like going more VATS or FPS. The FPS improvements are the biggest change from the other Fallouts so that's probably what you want to play with for an hour or 3 before running a build.
    • 284 posts
    April 14, 2017 1:58 PM EDT

I'm not planning a VATS build. I generally dislike the VATS system and I almost never use it. Also, I'm planning a more third-person walkthrough. They fit me the best. I'm going on a more anti-hero character. Something Negan-ish.

• 13 posts
    April 14, 2017 2:17 PM EDT
    You can make Lucille...
    • 284 posts
    April 14, 2017 3:03 PM EDT

I know, right.

• 152 posts
    April 15, 2017 12:11 AM EDT

For sure approach general exploration pretty blindly (don't hesitate to veer off from the main quest, running around is way more fun) but for perks and SPECIAL you should consider doing a more "jack of all trades" approach so you can be open to using anything you find and figure out if there's a certain playstyle you end up liking. I'd always go for the cliche stealth sniper but when I did the jack of all trades playthrough I found myself really liking heavy weapons, surprisingly. Check out the perk chart (should be plenty online) and see what Special you need for some key perks like Life Giver and Medic. Have an atomic blast on your first playthrough :)

• 284 posts
    April 15, 2017 2:42 AM EDT

I always prefered the stealth mid to close range build. Pistols and automatic weapons.