Forums » Fallout

Fallout Abroad

• 152 posts
    March 16, 2017 6:07 PM EDT

Hello Vault Dwellers! I have a fun question for you all, which will hopefully excercise your creativity. So far we've experienced the wastelands in many different parts of the U.S.; Utah, Arizona, California, Northern Texas, Colorado, Washington DC, Massachusetts and any other places I've failed to mention. Now we've got a long way until the next Fallout game, but until then the question must be asked: what would be a great place to explore the post apocalypse, anywhere in the world, and what aspects of this area could carry over well into a Fallout video game. Kind of a heavy question, honestly someone could write a whole article on an "alternate fallout experience" of sorts (Might be funnnnn... :p) but I'd love to hear some creative ideas! 

• 215 posts
    March 16, 2017 11:04 PM EDT
    Wouldn't it be great to take place in England or Europe with Old castles falling apart and being able to hunt through those?
    • 152 posts
    March 17, 2017 7:30 AM EDT
    John LeBlanc said:
    Wouldn't it be great to take place in England or Europe with Old castles falling apart and being able to hunt through those?

That would be awesome! Is there a particular European country that has like more castles than others? Idk much about Europe
    • 133 posts
    March 17, 2017 7:32 PM EDT

Hmm...

I'm not a big fan of the idea of Fallout outside of the US, mostly because you then lose the ability to mock American culture, which is a major aspect of the series, but Hawaii is still the US. Think about it--nuked up Pearl Harbor, the Islanders taking back their rightful place, museums and memorials to visit. You could include fast travel between the islands, and have irradiated sharks and stuff like that. Could be like tropical Far Harbor. 

• 152 posts
    March 17, 2017 10:54 PM EDT
    Haha yeah I guess the cliche American vibe is pretty central to the backstory concept, also there isn't a ton of information on what all takes place in other parts of the world during the time of the Nuclear War.
    Love the Hawaii idea though, might be a nice change of atmosphere too; the "wasteland" feel could still be preserved but surely having a lovely beachside view in a tropical climate would help brighten up the game. +1 for irradiated sharks, Probs, I was pretty disappointed that the mutant dolphin things weren't actual creatures that could be fought against :(
    This post was edited by MaddMannatee at March 17, 2017 10:56 PM EDT
    • 1441 posts
    March 17, 2017 11:51 PM EDT
    MaddMannatee said:
    Haha yeah I guess the cliche American vibe is pretty central to the backstory concept, also there isn't a ton of information on what all takes place in other parts of the world during the time of the Nuclear War.
    Love the Hawaii idea though, might be a nice change of atmosphere too; the "wasteland" feel could still be preserved but surely having a lovely beachside view in a tropical climate would help brighten up the game. +1 for irradiated sharks, Probs, I was pretty disappointed that the mutant dolphin things weren't actual creatures that could be fought against :(

I mean Tenpenny, if he isn't a senile old man suffering, like many others, from radiation affecting his brain, apparently did come from England, and there are sea monsters
    • 284 posts
    March 18, 2017 5:59 AM EDT

I'm not really into seeing a Fallout game outside the US. The fifties America is the central part of the story. I like the Hawaii idea, but with how great Far Harbour and Point Lookout are, I would like to see a Fallout game based in Miami and the Everglades.

• 248 posts
    March 18, 2017 10:50 AM EDT

Hmm yes HI and FL are high on the list I think. Wasn't there a "fake" leak about the next Fallout being in New Orleans? 

• 152 posts
    March 18, 2017 12:52 PM EDT

Well since most of us seem to agree that a Fallout game almost needs to take place in the US, what if there was some way to set one up in Canada? There's already a hefty amount of info on it in the Fallout wiki, and there's even information revealing that there was a potential Resistance Group there after annexation and maybe that could play into the main protagonists backstory. Plus I wouldn't mind some snow in a Fallout game :D

• 585 posts
    March 18, 2017 3:31 PM EDT

Thought about it being in England, as I'm from here, but the series is so intwined with the '50s american culture it would be weird it being anywhere else.

• 152 posts
    March 18, 2017 3:56 PM EDT

Zonnonn said:

Thought about it being in England, as I'm from here, but the series is so intwined with the '50s american culture it would be weird it being anywhere else.

With that being said, a step out of the American culture for a fallout game would certainly be a gamble especially to those who've been with the game awhile. HOWEVER it's not necessarily impossible as an idea. I'll probably do some research on information regarding Europe before the Great War and what it might look like after the bombs fell. 

• 122 posts
    March 18, 2017 9:04 PM EDT
    New Orleans. I want to see Fallout in New Orleans.
    • 152 posts
    March 18, 2017 11:22 PM EDT

Mercurias said: New Orleans. I want to see Fallout in New Orleans.
     Well it seems as though the "leaks" and rumors are in your favor currently :)

• 215 posts
    March 19, 2017 10:15 AM EDT

OK, I'll claim some ignorance here.  I didn't even try the FO series until New Vegas.  And honestly I didn't play that very far into the game.  I see the 50's era but...didn't Europe have a 50's era?  And wouldn't they have their own nuances from that era to poke at?  In fact that might be good to see other areas of the world.  If there were a US/China nuclear war (and I believe in FO4 I've seen comments about "everyone else letting their bombs fly") then wouldn't other parts of the world have similar setups?  And wouldn't it be possible/reasonable to think Vault Tec had an international arm?  It might actually be interesting to see some take on that.

Granted as a newer FO player I don't get/know/understand all the lore to the game but I don't see why there would not be worldwide ramifications from the Fallout and that opens opportunity to delve into new parts of the world that (using me as an example) gameplayers may never get to see or experience and the ability to see/learn/experience more of their culture/history in the same way we see America through Fallout.  Is there something here about American's and short attention spans or lack of interest in anything non-American that I'm missing?  (Keep in mind I'm proudly Red White & Blue..lol)

• 215 posts
    March 19, 2017 10:19 AM EDT

Mercurias said: New Orleans. I want to see Fallout in New Orleans.

Interesting.  I'm from LA.  But I"m also on a New Orleans boycott right now.  LOL

Maybe just a south Louisiana.  Lot's of small towns and really tie in the swamps and bayous of that region.  Could be interesting.

This post was edited by Ragin Cajun at March 19, 2017 10:20 AM EDT