Forums » Fallout

Favorite Companion

• 152 posts
    March 9, 2017 2:52 PM EST

From a mouthy Irish chem addict to a witty cyborg private eye, Fallout 4 did a pretty good job with making some memorable companions for us to brave the wasteland with. So, which one is your favorite and why? Maybe share a funny memory with them or your favorite quote that never ceases to make you smile, even for the 100th time of hearing it.

I'll allow two top favorites since I can't decide between two and I made the post so I get to pick the rules :p My two favorite are both Strong and Macready. Strong because this guy is absolutely frickin hilarious; he certainly makes for a great comic relief character after busting some raider skulls in with a hammer; "Tinker tinker tinker...STRONG BORED" Macready because I love how you first come across him as like a lone mercenary just lookin to make some caps. Also his story is pretty cool, especially with the relation to him being in Fo3 "I miss the Capital Wasteland radio...Three Dog was a hell of a DJ"

• 248 posts
    March 10, 2017 12:04 AM EST

A lot of times my companion choice is dictated by my character. I've also played more wihtout any companions than with. But, first choice is Dogmeat. The fact that you can perk him and it helps you on top of the Lone Wanderer "glitch" makes him arguably the "best" from a combat standpoint. But, he has no story and no dialogue of course...so

If I'm playing a male character and want some...uh company - I usually pick Cait. I think her story is decent and quite enjoy her sass. "We'd move faster if you kept you eyes on the road and off my arse."

Although he's too much of a do-gooder, Nick's character is probably the best fleshed out (see what I did there?) of the bunch. He even gets a big story bonus in Far Harbor. He's pretty handy and a decent shot, but honestly, if you want the most immersive companion in the Wasteland he's your guy...er synth.  

• 773 posts
    March 10, 2017 4:45 AM EST

I think Cait is a good character, and useful for lockpicking. Deacon seems to be extremely good for stealth - unlike some of the others he doesn't blunder into things and blow my cover.

To be honest, a lot of them I've never really used - I stick with Dogmeat (or Codsworth for the comedy value)

At least Dogmeat doesn't judge me! I hate it when you get 'Deacon hated that'...

• 224 posts
    March 10, 2017 9:24 PM EST

Dogmeat because he is a dog, what else needs to explained.

• 152 posts
    March 12, 2017 10:21 PM EDT

Mottyskills said:

A lot of times my companion choice is dictated by my character. I've also played more wihtout any companions than with. But, first choice is Dogmeat. The fact that you can perk him and it helps you on top of the Lone Wanderer "glitch" makes him arguably the "best" from a combat standpoint. But, he has no story and no dialogue of course...so

If I'm playing a male character and want some...uh company - I usually pick Cait. I think her story is decent and quite enjoy her sass. "We'd move faster if you kept you eyes on the road and off my arse."

Although he's too much of a do-gooder, Nick's character is probably the best fleshed out (see what I did there?) of the bunch. He even gets a big story bonus in Far Harbor. He's pretty handy and a decent shot, but honestly, if you want the most immersive companion in the Wasteland he's your guy...er synth.  

Morals. Factions. General roleplay. They all effect what companion (if any) is best for the character. I usually resorted to dogmeat on my casual character but gosh he'd always randomly spawn right in the middle of a group of enemies or run away while I waddled towards him totally encumbered so I could shove more Gatling Lasers into his puppy pockets XD 

YESSS MY FAVORITE LINE EVER! Cait literally had me laughing so hard the first time she said that, whoever put that into the game is a genius. 

Although Nick probably has the coolest backstory (well second to Macready), he tends to "grind my gears" a bit too much (see what I did there?) :P

• 152 posts
    March 12, 2017 10:25 PM EDT

Paul said:

I think Cait is a good character, and useful for lockpicking. Deacon seems to be extremely good for stealth - unlike some of the others he doesn't blunder into things and blow my cover.

To be honest, a lot of them I've never really used - I stick with Dogmeat (or Codsworth for the comedy value)

At least Dogmeat doesn't judge me! I hate it when you get 'Deacon hated that'...

You did an excellent job of teaming up with Cait in your Shamrock build!

I too have yet to use all of the companions since for the most part I ride solo, but I did actually enjoy when I got to roll with some of them in my Ringleader build

Too bad Dogmeat is stupid mutt!       *Nick hated that*  *Cait hated that*  *Motty hated that*  *Piper disliked that*  *Strong loved that*     

• 152 posts
    March 12, 2017 10:26 PM EDT

Potemus the Wolf King said:

Gotta say, its pretty adorable when he plays with the teddy bear. I have two dogs irl, but I'd trade them both for Dogmeat if the apocolypse came around XD 

• 224 posts
    March 12, 2017 10:31 PM EDT

MaddMannatee said:

Potemus the Wolf King said:

Gotta say, its pretty adorable when he plays with the teddy bear. I have two dogs irl, but I'd trade them both for Dogmeat if the apocolypse came around XD 

I have always dogs as pets and currently, I have three in real life So anytime a game gives an option for an animal companion especially a dog I always take them because of my real life connection to them. Also, when I saw Dogmeat play with the Teddy Bear my heart melted from the adorableness of it.

• 55 posts
    March 13, 2017 12:42 AM EDT

I Lone Wanderer it most of the time. That said I find Hancock a really good character and I quite enjoy his personality and how he is a "good guy" while not being all noble, selfless, etc. like companions like Preston are. That said I also agree it really depends on the character you are playing and I also really like Cait and Piper as their arcs and conversations with the player character seem quite genuine. MacCready also feels very genuine but his comments can get annoying.

Ironically I think the "faction" companions of Preston, Deacon, X6-88 and Danse are my least favorite and just annoy me to listen to. Nick is good in Far Harbor and Gage in Nuka-World though.

• 215 posts
    March 13, 2017 11:24 AM EDT

I haven't played with all of them.  Dogmeat as mentioned.  I usually go with Nick for his hacking ability as I usually don't take that perk.  Cait is no good to me as Lockpicking is always my first perk and that is her skill set.  McCready did nothing for me and Codsworth I found to wimpy and always getting blasted down too quickly.  Wish you could gear up Nick...  I did like Hancock the limited time I spent with him.  And Deacon was pretty good.

I hate the non-stealthyness of followers (thank goodness for MODS..lol).

• 44 posts
    March 13, 2017 2:40 PM EDT

My faves are Dogmeat, and Paladin Danse.  I haven't tried others so much.

• 277 posts
    March 13, 2017 3:57 PM EDT

Hmmm... I think it's Dogmeat and Codsworth for me. But I do enjoy my solitude. I often just go on as a lone wanderer. It feels a lot better and I can properly sneak around! :D

This post was edited by Noodles at March 13, 2017 3:58 PM EDT
    • 288 posts
    March 14, 2017 5:14 AM EDT

I always used....what was his name....the cyborg black guy, X6 or sth.