Forums » General Gaming

Favorite Game of All Time

• 152 posts
    March 1, 2017 1:42 PM EST

Heyo Vault Dwellers! I normally stick to the Fallout related content of the site but figured I'd branch out a bit to the rest of the site so I could maybe meet some of you all! As you can tell from the title, I have an extremely general question for you all: what is your favorite game you've ever played? Whether it be nostalgia, amazing gameplay, or a jaw-droppingly well written main story, there are plenty of different things that would influence you to just absolutely love a particular game. Because this site is based around Skyrim and has a huge portion devoted to Fallout 4, these two are not acceptable choices :p Older Elder Scrolls and Fallout games are acceptable.

As for my favorite, it'd definitely be TES IV Oblivion, hands down. My love for it is primarily due to nostalgia, but honestly there were some pretty awesome quests and other aspects in that game. I'm a bit younger than most people on this site, so Oblivion was the first roleplaying game I ever played due to my older brother showing me it when I was way too young for Mature games. But boy was I hooked on even the thought of a virtual world having the depth and detail that it did, since then I've never stopped playing RPG games, which is why I've become a part of this wonderful site! So please let me know what your all time favorite game is and what you love so much about it. I look forward to what you guys have to say!

• 215 posts
    March 1, 2017 1:48 PM EST

I'd go old school D&D 2nd Edition, pnp.  Nothing like firing up the old imagination and not having any pre-built limitations.  Branched off into Gamma World which was a Fallout type world...except Gamma World had laser toting bunny rabbits.  FTW!

If we have to go into computerized/video era...I've always had fond memories of Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale and that era of games.

• 773 posts
    March 1, 2017 2:43 PM EST

I think if you pushed me into a corner it would have to be The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. Man, I put soooo much time into that game for abouit 6 months solid. I'd still happily play it now if it wasn't for the fact that the combat is basically unplayable now.

It was my first Elder Scrolls game (I wnet back to Daggerfall afterwards). To me it's unmatched before or since.

If you want me to name a non-ES or Fallout game then I'd probably go with Ultima VII. Obviously pretty dated now, but the storytelling and depth was unparalleled back in its day. 

• 133 posts
    March 1, 2017 9:14 PM EST

OK so this is a weird one, and maybe not 100% true, but my favorite game is one I can't get out of my mind. It's a little free to play choose your own adventure game for the iPhoen called Creatures Such as We. Man, it'll weigh on you. The story is about an employee in the lunar tourism industry, who meets the developers of his favorite video game when they come to take a vacation on his moon base. You can fall in love with any of them you want, or none, or be friends, or be distant to all of them, but man when my character fell in love with Sadri, I couldn't get over it. Somehow the writer made it feel like it was meant to be. Then, there's a...big catastrophe, and you think the game will end with despair, sadness, whatever you want. Instead, it ends in a happy way that left me quite literally sleepless for a couple of nights. 

If you want to talk about console/PC games though, I think that Dishonored 1, Europa Universalis 4, Star Wars Battlefront 2, and COD:MW are all pretty much tied for faves. 

• 152 posts
    March 1, 2017 9:26 PM EST

John LeBlanc said:

I'd go old school D&D 2nd Edition, pnp.  Nothing like firing up the old imagination and not having any pre-built limitations.  Branched off into Gamma World which was a Fallout type world...except Gamma World had laser toting bunny rabbits.  FTW!

If we have to go into computerized/video era...I've always had fond memories of Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale and that era of games.

Just had to look up those last 3, all out of my time XD They look sweet though. Laser bunny rabbits sound fantastic 

• 152 posts
    March 1, 2017 9:28 PM EST

Paul said:

I think if you pushed me into a corner it would have to be The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. Man, I put soooo much time into that game for abouit 6 months solid. I'd still happily play it now if it wasn't for the fact that the combat is basically unplayable now.

It was my first Elder Scrolls game (I wnet back to Daggerfall afterwards). To me it's unmatched before or since.

If you want me to name a non-ES or Fallout game then I'd probably go with Ultima VII. Obviously pretty dated now, but the storytelling and depth was unparalleled back in its day. 

Did that Skywind mod/revamo ever occur for Morrorwind? Because I'd love to take a look at Morrorwind if it weren't for the graphics that I'm too spoiled to accept XD  

• 152 posts
    March 1, 2017 9:31 PM EST

ProbsCoolerThanYou said:

OK so this is a weird one, and maybe not 100% true, but my favorite game is one I can't get out of my mind. It's a little free to play choose your own adventure game for the iPhoen called Creatures Such as We. Man, it'll weigh on you. The story is about an employee in the lunar tourism industry, who meets the developers of his favorite video game when they come to take a vacation on his moon base. You can fall in love with any of them you want, or none, or be friends, or be distant to all of them, but man when my character fell in love with Sadri, I couldn't get over it. Somehow the writer made it feel like it was meant to be. Then, there's a...big catastrophe, and you think the game will end with despair, sadness, whatever you want. Instead, it ends in a happy way that left me quite literally sleepless for a couple of nights. 

If you want to talk about console/PC games though, I think that Dishonored 1, Europa Universalis 4, Star Wars Battlefront 2, and COD:MW are all pretty much tied for faves. 

Damn....Thats deep. I'll have to check that out tbh, especially if its that emotionally captivating

Ah yes finally! Some games I recognize! Star Wars Battlefront was lit, I spent so much time on that with my buddy when I was little. Can't go wrong with Dishonored or the old COD games

• 133 posts
    March 1, 2017 9:42 PM EST

MaddMannatee said:

ProbsCoolerThanYou said:

Damn....Thats deep. I'll have to check that out tbh, especially if its that emotionally captivating

Ah yes finally! Some games I recognize! Star Wars Battlefront was lit, I spent so much time on that with my buddy when I was little. Can't go wrong with Dishonored or the old COD games

Man, I was addicted to Battlefront when I was younger. I played it when I was so little that my babysitter had to control the mouse and I would control the keys.

• 215 posts
    March 1, 2017 10:08 PM EST
    Now I'm feeling old. Thanks. Lol
    • 1467 posts
    March 1, 2017 10:14 PM EST

Just had to look up those last 3, all out of my time XD They look sweet though. Laser bunny rabbits sound fantastic 

Ugh, I just felt a pain in my chest area :P

It's weird but I grew up on Baldur's Gate the same way that some people grew up on certian TV Shows or Singers/Bands. It was a massive part of my early life, which really says a lot about me as a person I suppose (though I've never heard of Gamma World, I'm a bit too young to have ever gotten into 2nd era D&D) so I think my reaction to people saying they've never heard of it/played it is the same as...well I've got nothing.

Now I'm feeling old. Thanks. Lol

It's alright John, I think it's unnatural that there are people who haven't played Baldur's Gate :D

-----------------------------

I honestly couldn't narrow down what my favourite game is. I mean, to date games like Neverwinter Nights, Baldur's Gate and Morrowind have the largest impact on what type of games I play, those three definitely defined most of my early gaming life and kind of create the staple for everything that I've ever played. So I'd say those are my three favourite, but Age of Empires 2, Injustice: Gods Among Us (For the story, can't stand the gameplay), The Last of Us, Pokemon and Zelda (especially Ocarina of Time) are all really high up there.

• 367 posts
    March 2, 2017 1:16 AM EST

True to my usual werewolfish self I’m going to break the rules of the discussion a bit. The way I play the games alternate realities is such that Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim all roll seamlessly into one to such a fine sharp claw that it’s impossible to differentiate where one ends and another one begins. I would have to say these three are my top number one game. The infuence and impact in my and Aela's life (Aela the misses) from these games is unparalleled to any other game. No doubt when TES VI (Argonia... we all know it'll be Argonia) when TES VI comes out it'll fall in place alongside these three greats. 

It’s even got to a point where I’ve travelled from Whiterun to Cyrodiil pass by Dragonclaw Rock. Travelled by foot past Bruma to the Imperial City where I caught a boat and went by sea to Seyda Neen  to travel by Stilt Strider to Balmora.

Yes, switching game mechanics does get confusing but I have configured my games to use the same keypad buttons.

I have a life; it’s an Argonian one.

• 585 posts
    March 2, 2017 5:25 AM EST

Well Skyrim goes without saying, it was the first true RPG experience I ever had, I was young when it came out so I feel like I've sorta grown up with it, and it just ticks all the boxes for a game with me. I'm sure if I played Morrowind back in the day I'd choose that, it sounds bloodyt awesome, but outdated graphics + combat is a bit of a deal breaker.

As for non-Elder Scrolls... Total War 2 is another game I grew up with, and I still regularly play it to this day. It combines the fantasy/medieval theme that I love with controlling a massive empire. The learning curve was steep when I was younger but now it's apiece of cake to play.

• 152 posts
    March 2, 2017 7:30 AM EST

John LeBlanc said: Now I'm feeling old. Thanks. Lol
    Nah John you're good XD I'm literally 16 so there's a lot of games that I just have no knowledge of :P

• 152 posts
    March 2, 2017 7:33 AM EST

Sotek said:

True to my usual werewolfish self I’m going to break the rules of the discussion a bit. The way I play the games alternate realities is such that Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim all roll seamlessly into one to such a fine sharp claw that it’s impossible to differentiate where one ends and another one begins. I would have to say these three are my top number one game. The infuence and impact in my and Aela's life (Aela the misses) from these games is unparalleled to any other game. No doubt when TES VI (Argonia... we all know it'll be Argonia) when TES VI comes out it'll fall in place alongside these three greats. 

It’s even got to a point where I’ve travelled from Whiterun to Cyrodiil pass by Dragonclaw Rock. Travelled by foot past Bruma to the Imperial City where I caught a boat and went by sea to Seyda Neen  to travel by Stilt Strider to Balmora.

Yes, switching game mechanics does get confusing but I have configured my games to use the same keypad buttons.

I have a life; it’s an Argonian one.

That. Is. Awesome. I can't see any better way to enjoy the Elder Scrolls :D

• 152 posts
    March 2, 2017 7:35 AM EST

Zonnonn said:

Well Skyrim goes without saying, it was the first true RPG experience I ever had, I was young when it came out so I feel like I've sorta grown up with it, and it just ticks all the boxes for a game with me. I'm sure if I played Morrowind back in the day I'd choose that, it sounds bloodyt awesome, but outdated graphics + combat is a bit of a deal breaker.

As for non-Elder Scrolls... Total War 2 is another game I grew up with, and I still regularly play it to this day. It combines the fantasy/medieval theme that I love with controlling a massive empire. The learning curve was steep when I was younger but now it's apiece of cake to play.

I'm with ya for kinda growing up on skyrim in a way. Plus, Total War 2 is excellent 

• 215 posts
    March 2, 2017 9:00 AM EST

MaddMannatee said:

John LeBlanc said: Now I'm feeling old. Thanks. Lol
    Nah John you're good XD I'm literally 16 so there's a lot of games that I just have no knowledge of :P

Yep, now I feel old.  I turn the big 5-0 soon.

• 743 posts
    March 2, 2017 9:37 AM EST

Not unlike Zonn, Skyrim is pretty much the game that I grew up with. It's like a fine wine; only gets better with age. But since that's not an option, I'm gonna cheat a bit and pick two. Assassin's Creed 2 has given me the fondest memories from video games so far. It was the first time I was introduced to a game with a plot that wasn't one dimensional. It made you want to carry out Ezio's revenge quest, and I kinda grew up with the character due to the entire trilogy. It also gave me my love for stealthy and witty rogues (which is still the only character I play in Skyrim.) and changed my playstyle. 

Second is a pretty old one. Age of Empires 2; probably the best RTS/strategy game out there. You choose from a plethora of old civilizations and are then pitted aginst other ones. It is probably to blame for my habit of strategizing everything in video games. If you didn't plan out in Ao2, you were gonna get screwed over early into it. I personally liked to play as the Celts and pound the Brits back to Oblivion :p

• 140 posts
    March 2, 2017 9:48 AM EST

Definitely Morrowind for me. Skyrim was the first TES game I played, and I only got Morrowind in 2014, but since then it's shot straight to the top of my favorite games list. At first I was a bit put-off by the combat and lack of voice acting, but once I got over that, I really started to enjoy it. The Main Questline is absolutely fantastic, Tombs, Caves, and Ruins are all fun and unique, and the landscape and people are all very diverse.

Skyrim's still a very good game, but for me Morrowind's just a little bit better.

• 261 posts
    March 2, 2017 11:24 AM EST

Can't say I have a single favorite game. So, instead, here's a list of games I keep coming back to, and I consider my favorites:

-Elder Scrolls games (Oblivion, Skyrim and, most importantly IMO, ESO): My favorite gaming lore, ever. Also really fun open-world goodness.

-Pokemon games (Anything past Generation 3): My first game was Ruby, and I've stuck with the franchise ever since. Constantly improving in all aspects, IMO.

-Darkest Dungeon: A fantastic indie game, where rougelike RPGs meet reality as envisioned by Lovecraft. Great stuff.

-Doom games (mainly 1, 2 andd the 2016 reboot): Not a lot of story depth, (even if 2016 is suprisingly deep), but when you're a space marine storming Hell, who cares?

-Transformers: Fall of Cybertron: Still the best Transformers game ever made, IMO. And as a massive Transformers nerd, that means a lot to me.

-Mass Effect (All 3, even if 1 is slightly annoying to me): One of the greatest stories in gaming IMO, and pretty fun to play.

-Smash Bros (Melee, Brawl and WiiU): Again, not much story, but hella fun gameplay. Plus, Animal Crossing Villager vs Wii Fit Trainer vs Duck Hunt Dog vs Pac-Man, 'nuff said.

-Mega Man 8-Bit Deathmatch: An utterly unique (and FREE!) first-person shooter based off of the NES Mega Man games in the Doom engine. Suprisingly massive amount of content.

This list might be amended later, I dunno. There's a lot of stuff I feel I really love, game-wise.

• 700 posts
    March 2, 2017 12:15 PM EST

Halo: Combat Evolved, Gears of War 3, Battlefield: Bad Company 2. Halo CE was my first PC game, first non-handheld, first shooter, first competitive game, and first love. It set the precedent for the rest of my gaming career. I had 3500 hours put into it near the end of 2010 and I've put in just a touch more since then what with the 10th anniversary re-release. 

Gears 3 is a broken mess but I love it dearly. I also hate it dearly. It's a complicated relationship. 

Bad Company 2 is the best Battlefield game ever made. It's a shame Dice abandoned the one Battlefield series that had any character in favor of more samey modern/historical/future shooters. 

I never really got into RPGs growing up. Didn't like Chrono Trigger much, didn't like Oblivion at all, and barely got into Final Fantasy. Pokemon was the closest thing I had to a character-driven narrative that I actually played pretty frequently. 

• 558 posts
    March 2, 2017 12:44 PM EST

Dark Souls 2. It isn't perfect, but it was sure fun. I like how many different, viable options there are in PvP, not to mention PvE. No build felt weak. 

Another game that is really close is Paper Mario (1). It was my first RPG, and it holds up even today. The main problem now is difficulty. It was hard as a kid, but now it is really easy to beat.

• 152 posts
    March 2, 2017 6:36 PM EST

Gollum said:

Dark Souls 2. It isn't perfect, but it was sure fun. I like how many different, viable options there are in PvP, not to mention PvE. No build felt weak. 

Another game that is really close is Paper Mario (1). It was my first RPG, and it holds up even today. The main problem now is difficulty. It was hard as a kid, but now it is really easy to beat.

AHHHHH PAPER MARIO!! Honestly one of my favorite games of all time, I loved it so much. I was still new to video games when I first played it and I was just so amazed with how sweet the constantly changing setting was. I will never forget my first boss fight against the dragon. You just sparked up some deep nostalgia my friend :D

• 168 posts
    March 2, 2017 7:12 PM EST

I would say Skyrim, but I think the Skyrim Blog was partly to blame for that. Still it was my introduction to the Elder Scrolls and also to action rpgs too i guess?

Final Fantasy 8 also means a lot to me. But it only makes sense within the context of my childhood. Still, dat jacket tho.

...I was typing a bunch of other games down too but then I realized it'd just be easier to say I don't have a single favorite game that I can favorite above all the rest.

• 21 posts
    March 4, 2017 8:04 AM EST

My answer for this seems to have changed quite a bit for the last few years, but right now I'll have to say The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. Although I do realize that might be a heretic thing to say...

No but seriously the game is great, I really love the story and the characters. The world is fantastic and have lots of stuff to do without feeling like there's too much of the same. Exploration is not as great as in The Elder Scrolls games though, but otherwise I wholeheartedly love this game right.

• 152 posts
    March 4, 2017 9:22 AM EST

LokaCola said:

My answer for this seems to have changed quite a bit for the last few years, but right now I'll have to say The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. Although I do realize that might be a heretic thing to say...

No but seriously the game is great, I really love the story and the characters. The world is fantastic and have lots of stuff to do without feeling like there's too much of the same. Exploration is not as great as in The Elder Scrolls games though, but otherwise I wholeheartedly love this game right.

I've been tempted to try my hands at the Witcher series, but between the Elder Scrolls, Fallout, and a few others I just don't have the time for a whole new world of adventure XD