Forums » Fallout

Was Vault-Tec a secretly...

• 215 posts
    February 24, 2017 1:57 PM EST

So there will be some spoilers potentially in here if you haven't played the game.  Proceed at your own peril.

So now that I've actually played for a while and gotten a good ways into the game (still probably not even halfway..lol, gotta quit doing CBs and just play I suppose) There a lot that has come to light.

So after reading many of the terminals in various places, especially the secret VT lab in Vault 81, it's no surprise that VT was conducting secret experiments on the citizens located within them.  What is interesting in a macabre way is that the experiments were definitely well thought out and were each focusing on a unique series of hypothesis.

So this beckons the question, was Vault Tec just a secret branch of the US Government (edit out the political post I was contemplating here)?  Were they acting on governmental orders in a sincere effort to preserve human life after The War?  Was the Institute part of Vault Tec?  If so were they plants meant to take over VT and implement these experiments in an undercover operation? 

Either way (or another scenario) the experiments were certainly well thought out and seem to have viable results they were looking for.  They certainly were underhanded in how they approached them, especially at 81 where it was done literally under their noses. 

• 773 posts
    February 25, 2017 4:33 AM EST

Yes, Vault-Tec was effectively a department of the US Government

In time, Vault-Tec became so thoroughly integrated with top-secret military research done by the Pentagon that it had practically become a department of the U.S. government. The company still remained in private hands, but because of its strong connection to the American government, the principal personnel of Vault-Tec - its executives, top scientists, engineers, and so on - had to be aware of the true purpose of the vaults and Project Safehouse.

Taken from Vault Tec

• 248 posts
    February 27, 2017 12:19 PM EST

Yeah this is a huge Lore topic. It's def not my area of interest or expertise, but that post from Paul does a good summary of the Vault-tec / Gov't connection. I would direct you to Mr. Edd's excellent article on the Hub: Mankind Redefined: The Vault-tec Conspiracy. He talks a lot about this.