Forums » Fallout

Nuka World: Favorite Raider Group

• 152 posts
    February 11, 2017 1:05 PM EST

So I finally got around to buying the Nuke World DLC (despite having done practically nothing in Far Harbor still) and I hopped right into the action on my character build I'm currently playtesting mainly for the sake of acquiring a handmade rifle for the purpose of the build. I met all the different group leaders and such but then returned to the Commonwealth due to being the Overboss not really aligning with my current character's motives. Despite this, I think the different Raider groups are really frickin cool, and I am eager to playthrough it all in my next build. ANYWAYS, that aside, I have a question for you all:

Which of the three groups do you favor and why? Or do you see being the overboss and running all three in "unity" more enjoyable? So far I haven't gotten to investigate much into any of them but I personally like the ideals of the Pack. The strongest survive, and the weakest are prey. I'd love to hear all of your thoughts!

• 215 posts
    February 12, 2017 7:29 PM EST

I think I'd lean towards the operators.  The Disciples are just too....much I guess.  And the pack, to me, is too freaking wierd.  LOL.  Gotta say though, like you, I couldn't play it on my character and not sure I could be that "evil" on a playthrough the way the game is set up.  With them starting you off with the minutemen and trying to rebuild, Nuka World really tears all that to shreds.  It would take some serious roleplay I think to really get into it.

• 224 posts
    February 12, 2017 7:36 PM EST

The two groups I favor/like are the Operators and the Disciples, mainly because in my playthrough where all I wanted to do is make money, so the Operators where my granted group since all they want is money, and I liked the Disciples because my character saw them as her enforcers for her. The Pack while has a standard mentality of the Survive and the weak die, I just couldn't really get behind them because they are more or less drug addicted, psychopathic furries.

This post was edited by David at February 12, 2017 7:38 PM EST
    • 152 posts
    February 12, 2017 10:19 PM EST

John LeBlanc said:

I think I'd lean towards the operators.  The Disciples are just too....much I guess.  And the pack, to me, is too freaking wierd.  LOL.  Gotta say though, like you, I couldn't play it on my character and not sure I could be that "evil" on a playthrough the way the game is set up.  With them starting you off with the minutemen and trying to rebuild, Nuka World really tears all that to shreds.  It would take some serious roleplay I think to really get into it.

You make a good point in that they try to seemingly force you to be a good guy in the main game, and then suddenly a polar opposite of that in the DLC. The most pracctical explanation a roleplayer could make is that living in the wastes A) turned you into an evil person or B) helped you realize to take assets where available, which would include the raiders

• 152 posts
    February 12, 2017 10:21 PM EST

The Thief said:

The two groups I favor/like are the Operators and the Disciples, mainly because in my playthrough where all I wanted to do is make money, so the Operators where my granted group since all they want is money, and I liked the Disciples because my character saw them as her enforcers for her. The Pack while has a standard mentality of the Survive and the weak die, I just couldn't really get behind them because they are more or less drug addicted, psychopathic furries.

Excellent points Thief, although now I feel like I must be a bit insane myself for favoring the Pack XD

• 248 posts
    February 12, 2017 10:59 PM EST

Well for the first part - In my first Nuka World playthrough I was specifically playing a Radier (which turned into my build The Boss) and he was particularly brutal so I went Disciples. 

Even though they are a bit "much", at least they're not phonies like Will and Maggs (I won't spoil it but take read through her terminal sometime). 

The pack is basically only useful if you're playing some sort of prankster, animancer. 

What I really wanted to address was John and Madd's discussion about being a relatively "good guy" throughout and then - "Hey wanna raid the commonwealth?" 

Herein lies the most legitimate critque of Fallout and Roleplay. The 4 dialogue options, plus the voiced protaganist doedn't even really allow for an evil playthrough. That hasn't stopped us from building them...but you know what I mean. And so, when it comes to taking over the commonwealth as a radier, it's a tough transition to make in any true RP sense. 

I really like Nuka...but I'm still most partial to Far Harbor as a whole. The moral dilemma presented there is some of the best in any video game I've played. And the world itself is quite rewarding with the throwback horror vibe, as I've well documented :)

• 152 posts
    February 13, 2017 7:45 AM EST

Mottyskills said:

Well for the first part - In my first Nuka World playthrough I was specifically playing a Radier (which turned into my build The Boss) and he was particularly brutal so I went Disciples. 

Even though they are a bit "much", at least they're not phonies like Will and Maggs (I won't spoil it but take read through her terminal sometime). 

The pack is basically only useful if you're playing some sort of prankster, animancer. 

What I really wanted to address was John and Madd's discussion about being a relatively "good guy" throughout and then - "Hey wanna raid the commonwealth?" 

Herein lies the most legitimate critque of Fallout and Roleplay. The 4 dialogue options, plus the voiced protaganist doedn't even really allow for an evil playthrough. That hasn't stopped us from building them...but you know what I mean. And so, when it comes to taking over the commonwealth as a radier, it's a tough transition to make in any true RP sense. 

I really like Nuka...but I'm still most partial to Far Harbor as a whole. The moral dilemma presented there is some of the best in any video game I've played. And the world itself is quite rewarding with the throwback horror vibe, as I've well documented :)

It always hurts to see so much potential of a game totally botched...and from what I'm gathering thats what Nuka World and the character's forced dispositon in general. HOWEVER I believe this just means we the builders/gamers/roleplayers have to work a little harder to make it work. I think once I'm done with my Vagabond build I'm gonna find a unique approach for a build for Nuka World that'll find a decent justification for the seemingly blurred personality of our character. Excellent insight Motty!

• 224 posts
    February 13, 2017 2:19 PM EST

MaddMannatee said:

The Thief said:

Excellent points Thief, although now I feel like I must be a bit insane myself for favoring the Pack XD

Nah, no need to feel like your insane, lol. In all honestly reverting back to a primal state of mind of only the strongest survive while the weakest die or serve the strong, like how Negan on TWD thinks, isn't a bad thing, though it goes back to the whole Hobbes, Locke, and Rousseau philosophical ideas. If it weren't for the fact they wear different animal masks, bright colors, and the other stuff they would be alright by me.

• 277 posts
    February 13, 2017 2:35 PM EST
    I think all gangs are well fleshed out. They are unique and fitting so my congratulations to the creative minds behind everything. Although I killed them all I think I admire the Disciples most. They're a bunch of psychos taken out of a classic Tarantino movie and they're in the business of killing because... they love what they're doing. :))
    • 152 posts
    February 13, 2017 10:23 PM EST

Noodles said: I think all gangs are well fleshed out. They are unique and fitting so my congratulations to the creative minds behind everything. Although I killed them all I think I admire the Disciples most. They're a bunch of psychos taken out of a classic Tarantino movie and they're in the business of killing because... they love what they're doing. :))
    wait... You can kill them all? WHY ARE THERE SO MANY OPTIONS UGH I HATE HAVING TO PICK ONE OPTION

• 248 posts
    February 13, 2017 10:45 PM EST

MaddMannatee said:

Noodles said: I think all gangs are well fleshed out. They are unique and fitting so my congratulations to the creative minds behind everything. Although I killed them all I think I admire the Disciples most. They're a bunch of psychos taken out of a classic Tarantino movie and they're in the business of killing because... they love what they're doing. :))
    wait... You can kill them all? WHY ARE THERE SO MANY OPTIONS UGH I HATE HAVING TO PICK ONE OPTION

lol - I was going to talk about that option but yeah if you talk to one of the Traders in the market, she'll basically give you an assasination quest on the leaders of the 3 gangs. while this might fit your character's RP better, it kind of riuns the whole existence of the DLC / Park. I mean, what's the motivation to clear the different areas? To re-open the park for families? IDK. It really doens't fit that well unless you're running the gangs IMO.

• 152 posts
    February 14, 2017 2:33 PM EST

Mottyskills said:

MaddMannatee said:

lol - I was going to talk about that option but yeah if you talk to one of the Traders in the market, she'll basically give you an assasination quest on the leaders of the 3 gangs. while this might fit your character's RP better, it kind of riuns the whole existence of the DLC / Park. I mean, what's the motivation to clear the different areas? To re-open the park for families? IDK. It really doens't fit that well unless you're running the gangs IMO.

Yeah I actually did run into her but kinda disregarded her, but at first I thought there would be some kind of cool uprising/rebellion of the traders type option but if it's simply assassinations then that doesn't sound fleshed out enough to be worth it. Do you have an idea as to what the park is actually like after this occurs? 

• 277 posts
    February 14, 2017 2:35 PM EST

Well I tried to turn the gangs on each other by giving jack squat territory to the disciples and operators... but it didn't work. So once I finished the dlc, I killed them all :D

• 152 posts
    February 14, 2017 10:15 PM EST

Noodles said:

Well I tried to turn the gangs on each other by giving jack squat territory to the disciples and operators... but it didn't work. So once I finished the dlc, I killed them all :D

Is the territory giving like the pivotal point of deciding who you're siding with? Because I left off there before heading beck to the Commonwealth but if i knew it was important than when I finally do get around to it, I might be bit more strategic in my picking...

• 248 posts
    March 18, 2017 9:48 PM EDT

I didn't see this last post MADD - if you haven't foudn out yet, yes! When you give out territory you're "liking" one gang over another. At a certain point in the story line, the least favored gang will rebel against you.