Forums » Elder Scrolls

ESO Morrowind and DLC Prices

• 1467 posts
    February 7, 2017 4:45 PM EST

With the announcement of ESO: Morrrowind just happening, it gives me the ecuse to talk about a pretty big part of why MMO's can get really expensive for people and debate whether it's a good thing. Morrowind is just simply an expensive purchase for anyone that's played the game for longer than a year, for blokes like me who've owned the game since Day One, it'll start putting me over the $400 mark (Australian...) when you account for Subscription Costs, the base game and DLC. 

That's pretty insane for a game, but then again it's kind of standard for MMO's, they can start out at the price of a regular game, or even more expensive and then the costs rack up, sometimes if you want to play the game at all. And yet a new comer to the game, could get Morrowind + ESO Plus for 180 days and still come out at around $150. That's a pretty insane difference, and really made me wonder about the questions I'm going to ask in a second.

1 - Do you think that long time players should get a discount on large DLC like this? (Or, do you think the upgrade should be cheaper?)

2 - What do you think of the price for the DLC? $40 isn't cheap, and most DLC's tend to price for <$30 even in Australiae

• 136 posts
    February 8, 2017 11:45 AM EST

Base game: originally, $60 U.S. (standard game price for more content than most single-player games). Now, $15 on Amazon.

DLCs (not necessary to play the game, but fun nontheless): 

Imperial City (August 2015): about $20 U.S.

Orsinium (November 2015): about $25 U.S. - huge amount of content

Thieves Guild (March 2016): about $20 U.S.

Dark Brotherhood (May 2016): about $20 U.S. - damn fun content

Shadows of the Hist (August 2016); $15

None of these DLCs are necessary to play the game. You can still quest all over Tamriel, run dungeons, and PvP

Subscription Costs: There hasn't been any required subscriptions since March, 2015. However, if you do, you get several amazing benefits which include an allotment of 1,500 crowns per month which you can use to buy DLCs.

Additionally, ESO + subscription for $14.99 gives you access to all DLC content without having to pay for them outright. 

Is Morrowind a DLC? No. It's a full-blown expansion that includes the same amount of content as all the prior DLCs combined, including a new class.

Does anyone have to buy Morrowind in order to enjoy ESO? No.

Does ESO get expensive over time? Yes.

Why does ESO get expensive over time? Because it is an ongoing, always-evolving game. There is no end to development like a single player game. If this is an issue, it might be better for you to play a single player game that has a definite end to development and DLCs. Or, you could have saved your ESO + crowns to buys DLCs instead of items that are purely cosmetic or could have been purchased for in-game gold.

Is this standard for MMOs? Yes, see the above answer. But you knew that anyway.

This post was edited by The_Lex at February 8, 2017 12:42 PM EST
    • 743 posts
    February 8, 2017 11:55 AM EST

Patriarch said:

Base game: originally, $60 U.S. (standard game price for more content than most single-player games). Now, $15 on Amazon.

DLCs (not necessary to play the game, but fun nontheless): 

Imperial City (August 2015): about $20 U.S.

Orsinium (November 2015): about $25 U.S. - huge amount of content

Thieves Guild (March 2016): about $20 U.S.

Dark Brotherhood (May 2016): about $20 U.S. - damn fun content

Shadows of the Hist (August 2016); $15

None of these DLCs are necessary to play the game. You can still quest all over Tamriel, run dungeons, and PvP

Subscription Costs: There hasn't been any required subscriptions since March, 2015. However, if you do, you get several amazing benefit which include an allotment of $1,500 crowns per month which you can use to buy DLCs including Morrowind.

Is Morrowind a DLC? No. It's a full-blown expansion that includes the same amount of content of all the prior DLCs combined, including a new class.

Does anyone have to buy Morrowind in order to enjoy ESO? No.

Does ESO get expensive over time? Yes.

Why does ESO get expensive over time? Because it is an ongoing, always-evolving game. There is no end to development like a single player game. If this is an issue, it might be better for you to play a single player game that has a definite end to development and DLCs. Or, you could have saved your ESO + crowns to buys DLCs instead of items that are purely cosmetic or could have been purchased for in-game gold.

Is this standard for MMOs? Yes, see the above answer. But you knew that anyway.

^Pretty much sums up everything I had to say. A $40.00 expansion is nothing new to MMOs. All the DLC's offer massive chunks of content that ever continues. I bought the Dark Brotherhood DLC in late June of 2016. As of February 2017, I'm still playing the same DLC and having loads of fun with it. That's just one example. Take the Imperial City, it offers timeless PvP and PvE, and is filled with people wanting to get Tel Var stones and complete quests. I'm still completing vanilla quests in my alliance provinces, at the level of 190. 

DLC's are more than worth it. I can only imagine what their expansion is gonna be filled with. To assume it's not worth the money is absurd, unless, of course, you were expecting for ESO to be Skyrim online. 

This post was edited by The_Lex at February 8, 2017 12:42 PM EST
    • 136 posts
    February 8, 2017 12:27 PM EST

RogueSilver said:

To assume it's not worth the money is absurd, unless, of course, you were expecting for ESO to be Skyrim online. 

To be fair, I don't think that's what he's saying. But, damn, I cringe when people do say that. lol

Disclaimer: I played ESO beta. And got back into it with console release. I am an ESO+ subscriber and have actually purchased all the DLCs with either cash or Crowns. I personally don't feel like I should get a discount nor am I upset over the pricing model.

This post was edited by The_Lex at February 8, 2017 12:27 PM EST
    • 743 posts
    February 8, 2017 12:32 PM EST

Patriarch said:

RogueSilver said:

To assume it's not worth the money is absurd, unless, of course, you were expecting for ESO to be Skyrim online. 

To be fair, I don't think that's what he's saying. But, damn, I cringe when people do say that. lol

Disclaimer: I played ESO beta. And got back into it with console release. I am an ESO+ subscriber and have actually purchased all the DLCs with either cash or Crowns. I personally don't feel like I should get a discount nor am I upset over the pricing model.

That wasn't specifically aimed towards DB, but to the people that actually say it's not worth the price, which I'm sure will chime into this discussion lol.

• 773 posts
    February 8, 2017 12:40 PM EST

It's expensive... IF you compare to a single player game.

For the guy who bought Skyrim for £30 in 2011 and is still playing it, and playing nothing else, even in 2017, then - yeah - it does look expensive by comparison. But, really, that is an unfair comparsion. Because - as has been stated - you're getting the ongoing development, patches, updates, new features and general improvements that, let's be honest, simply don't happen with Skyrim.

I look at my son, who is buying games pretty well every month, always the latest games at £50 a pop - he will burn through £500-600 a year on games and not even bat an eyelid about it. For considerably less than that I can have endless fun in Tamriel with ESO+

• 743 posts
    February 8, 2017 12:43 PM EST

Paul said:

It's expensive... IF you compare to a single player game.

For the guy who bought Skyrim for £30 in 2011 and is still playing it, and playing nothing else, even in 2017, then - yeah - it does look expensive by comparison. But, really, that is an unfair comparsion. Because - as has been stated - you're getting the ongoing development, patches, updates, new features and general improvements that, let's be honest, simply don't happen with Skyrim.

I look at my son, who is buying games pretty well every month, always the latest games at £50 a pop - he will burn through £500-600 a year on games and not even bat an eyelid about it. For considerably less than that I can have endless fun in Tamriel with ESO+

This is an excellent point. Also, Paul, be wary of the number of posts you'll have next time you reply to something :p

• 277 posts
    February 8, 2017 12:57 PM EST
    I think the price is worth it if they add a new class, multiple new areas to explore, new dungeons, at least one battleground and new mechanics to already existing classes.
    • 248 posts
    February 8, 2017 7:31 PM EST

Does the Gold Edition for Ps4 include Tamriel Unlimited and all of the released DLC so far or just the 4 main DLCs?

• 136 posts
    February 9, 2017 7:30 AM EST

Mottyskills said:

Does the Gold Edition for Ps4 include Tamriel Unlimited and all of the released DLC so far or just the 4 main DLCs?

Sorry for the delay in responding. Gold edition comes with all DLCs.

• 136 posts
    February 10, 2017 10:09 AM EST

Patriarch said:

Mottyskills said:

Sorry for the delay in responding. Gold edition comes with all DLCs.

But, there's only been 4 DLCs thus far. Shadows of the Hist is a group Dungeon Pack, not an actual DLC. All of the patches, balancing changes, etc., are part of the Gold Edition. 

• 248 posts
    February 10, 2017 10:20 AM EST

So I still would need to start with Tamriel Unlimited? I mean, it's like $13 on Amazon...might as well give it a go right?

• 136 posts
    February 10, 2017 10:25 AM EST

Mottyskills said:

So I still would need to start with Tamriel Unlimited? I mean, it's like $13 on Amazon...might as well give it a go right?

I'm 99.9% sure that the Gold Edition contains the base game, which is now called Tamriel Unlimited. TU was a change in how the game works, not a new DLC or pack. 

• 136 posts
    February 10, 2017 10:26 AM EST

In fact, the Xbox store explains that the Gold Edition includes Tamriel Unlimited (base game) and the four major DLCs. For $40, that's a really good deal.

• 136 posts
    February 10, 2017 10:27 AM EST

The only thing you won't be able to access is the Imperial Race. For that, you have to get the Premium Edition. But, only one of my characters is Imperial, and I could have easily chosen a Nord to do what he does.

This post was edited by The_Lex at February 10, 2017 10:30 AM EST
    • 248 posts
    February 10, 2017 10:39 AM EST

That makes more sense. I really am a total Newb on ESO. I hadn't even really looked into it. That was on purpose as I feared I may get sucked in deep....real deep lol

• 136 posts
    February 10, 2017 10:48 AM EST

Mottyskills said:

That makes more sense. I really am a total Newb on ESO. I hadn't even really looked into it. That was on purpose as I feared I may get sucked in deep....real deep lol

Haha. No worries. As for getting sucked in, yeah, it's a real possibility. I can't emphasize enough how much content is available in this game. 

• 558 posts
    February 10, 2017 5:57 PM EST
    Here's a curveball: I think I am done spending money on video games, period. That is one reason I jumped to the MOBA genre. You get a new free character every 2-3 weeks, not to mention new items on occasion, and full blown map replacements all for free.

So it seems pretty silly to ask someone to pay for a game and then blow one hundred dollars for DLC, when you could be playing a game which updates way more often and gives you all content (except certain cosmetic items) for free.
    • 627 posts
    February 10, 2017 6:56 PM EST

Considering that most moba's are free to play (or include those elements), they're actually designed to wear down peoples will until they end up spending more then you would on a game and its dlc. Sure there are people who can resist that and you may be one of them, but most people aren't or think they are but in reality they aren't. These games aren't actually free, the price you pay for playing them is the developer constantly doing things with the goal of you eventully spending money.

• 136 posts
    February 10, 2017 7:45 PM EST

Golden Fool said:

Considering that most moba's are free to play (or include those elements), they're actually designed to wear down peoples will until they end up spending more then you would on a game and its dlc. Sure there are people who can resist that and you may be one of them, but most people aren't or think they are but in reality they aren't. These games aren't actually free, the price you pay for playing them is the developer constantly doing things with the goal of you eventully spending money.

QFT

• 627 posts
    February 10, 2017 7:48 PM EST

Patriarch said:

QFT

What does that mean?

• 136 posts
    February 10, 2017 7:52 PM EST

Golden Fool said:

Patriarch said:

QFT

What does that mean?

Quoted for truth. 

• 136 posts
    February 10, 2017 7:58 PM EST

Gollum said: Here's a curveball: I think I am done spending money on video games, period. That is one reason I jumped to the MOBA genre. You get a new free character every 2-3 weeks, not to mention new items on occasion, and full blown map replacements all for free. So it seems pretty silly to ask someone to pay for a game and then blow one hundred dollars for DLC, when you could be playing a game which updates way more often and gives you all content (except certain cosmetic items) for free.

Why is this a curve ball? If you would rather play is this a curve ball? If you want to play MOBAs, go for it. Golden Fool raises a good point, though.

This post was edited by The_Lex at February 13, 2017 2:59 PM EST
    • 627 posts
    February 10, 2017 8:04 PM EST

The point that I made actually makes games which you have to pay for upfront and then include microtransactions (like overwatch :P and eso) all the more monstrous.

• 321 posts
    February 10, 2017 8:07 PM EST

What's more monstrous are the type of games that are free-to-play, but also pay-to-win.