Forums » Elder Scrolls

ESO Morrowind and DLC Prices

• 627 posts
    February 10, 2017 8:11 PM EST

KaiserSoSage said:

What's more monstrous are the type of games that are free-to-play, but also pay-to-win.

No those are just bad free to play games. If on the other hand we're being asked to pay for a game and then are expected to deal with the constant attacks that are the payment for free to play games, that's when you get Fee to Pay which are a corruption of both models and the creators of which should be burned at the stake.

• 558 posts
    February 10, 2017 8:11 PM EST

Patriarch said:

Gollum said: Here's a curveball: I think I am done spending money on video games, period. That is one reason I jumped to the MOBA genre. You get a new free character every 2-3 weeks, not to mention new items on occasion, and full blown map replacements all for free. So it seems pretty silly to ask someone to pay for a game and then blow one hundred dollars for DLC, when you could be playing a game which updates way more often and gives you all content (except certain cosmetic items) for free.

Why is this a curve ball? If you would rather play is this a curve ball? If you want to play MOBAs, go for it. Golden Fool raises a good point, though.

I felt it was a curveball in answer to Dragonborn's 2nd question.

This post was edited by The_Lex at February 13, 2017 2:59 PM EST
    • 321 posts
    February 10, 2017 8:17 PM EST

Golden Fool said:

KaiserSoSage said:

What's more monstrous are the type of games that are free-to-play, but also pay-to-win.

No those are just bad free to play games. If on the other hand we're being asked to pay for a game and then are expected to deal with the constant attacks that are the payment for free to play games, that's when you get Fee to Pay which are a corruption of both models and the creators of which should be burned at the stake.

And this is why I don't play mobile RPG games on my phone. 

Don't get me wrong, there are some good free-to-play games. It's the pay-to-win feature that's always making people just turn away from them. You can play up till the end without paying for any microtransactions... if you don't mind the grind.

And DON'T get me started with PvP. There's a reason why I avoid that shit on free-to-play/pay-to-win games.

• 136 posts
    February 13, 2017 3:00 PM EST

Golden Fool said:

The point that I made actually makes games which you have to pay for upfront and then include microtransactions (like overwatch :P and eso) all the more monstrous.

What microtransactions are in ESO?

• 627 posts
    February 13, 2017 3:26 PM EST

Patriarch said:

Golden Fool said:

The point that I made actually makes games which you have to pay for upfront and then include microtransactions (like overwatch :P and eso) all the more monstrous.

The crown store? 

• 136 posts
    February 13, 2017 3:28 PM EST

Golden Fool said:

Patriarch said:

Golden Fool said:

The crown store? 

Okay, so I want to make sure I understand you. In your mind, buying a costume or a horse (which can be bought with in-game gold), makes the game monstrous?

• 627 posts
    February 13, 2017 3:39 PM EST

Patriarch said:

Okay, so I want to make sure I understand you. In your mind, buying a costume or a horse (which can be bought with in-game gold), makes the game monstrous?

It was an example and probably not the best word for the job, and I'm willing to admit that as an actual MMO it's more understandable due to the nature of them. And no it's not the buying of the costume or a horse that is "mostrous" it's the paying to play the game and then being tempted to spend more money in the way that free to play game does so.

Edit: It's not going to stop me playing the game though :P

This post was edited by Golden Fool at February 13, 2017 3:40 PM EST
    • 136 posts
    February 13, 2017 3:43 PM EST

Golden Fool said:

Patriarch said:

It was an example and probably not the best word for the job, and I'm willing to admit that as an actual MMO it's more understandable due to the nature of them. And no it's not the buying of the costume or a horse that is "mostrous" it's the paying to play the game and then being tempted to spend more money in the way that free to play game does so.

Edit: It's not going to stop me playing the game though :P

Fair enough. I just want to reiterate that nothing in the Crown Store helps you play the game any better. All of the items for sale are purely cosmetic or for utility. I literally went six months and had a character to max level before I ever bought anything from the Crown Store. 

And if you feel that being tempted to spend more money is monstrous, then I suggest that you turn off your television and never leave the house. :P :P

Overall, you raise fair points.

This post was edited by The_Lex at February 13, 2017 3:44 PM EST
    • 627 posts
    February 13, 2017 3:52 PM EST

Patriarch said:

Fair enough. I just want to reiterate that nothing in the Crown Store helps you play the game any better. All of the items for sale are purely cosmetic or for utility. I literally went six months and had a character to max level before I ever bought anything from the Crown Store. 

And if you feel that being tempted to spend more money is monstrous, then I suggest that you turn off your television and never leave the house. :P :P

Neither do the skins in League of Legends or the loot crates in Overwatch (although I haven't played it so I can't guarantee this and the loot crates are actually worse since they're randomised) :P And it's not the being tempted to spend money that is "monstrous", I'm fine with that when it's in a free to play game as that constant temptation is the payment for playing the game (all the better for the developers if you give in too) it's the use of these strategies from free to play games inside a game that you have to pay for that is "monstrous".

• 136 posts
    February 13, 2017 4:02 PM EST

Golden Fool said:
    Patriarch said:

Golden Fool said:

Patriarch said:

Neither do the skins in League of Legends or the loot crates in Overwatch (although I haven't played it so I can't guarantee this and the loot crates are actually worse since they're randomised) :P And it's not the being tempted to spend money that is "monstrous", I'm fine with that when it's in a free to play game as that constant temptation is the payment for playing the game (all the better for the developers if you give in too) it's the use of these strategies from free to play games inside a game that you have to pay for that is "monstrous".

I guess I don't understand why you feel it's monstrous. I could see if were forced to buy something in order to progress or to strengthen your character. That is monstrous, and is why I stopped playing many MMOs.

The Crown Store is a simple offer. Accept; reject; move on with life. Technically, ESO is B2P since you do have to purchase the game itself. 

EDIT: and in reality, you never actually see the Crown Store unless you actually open it up in your menu. You can honestly forget it's there.

Meh, agree to disagree.

This post was edited by The_Lex at February 13, 2017 4:04 PM EST
    • 1467 posts
    February 13, 2017 4:44 PM EST

So, theoretically what do you think of the fact that you can respect Attributes/Skills with the Crown Store or the ability to purchase the Werewolf/Vampier transformation? In some ways you could make an argument of that being a slightly more pay-to-win mindset, of purchasing a powerful skill line or being able to force your character to be more powerful. It isn't hard to counter that the former can be recieved in-game (but doesn'tn there still have to be someone that bought it?) but from what I can tell there is no option for the second one outside of the Crown Store.

It isn't quite the same as games that require you to buy extra characters that are better or to buy the best items or anything but to an extent I think someone could argue that purchasing this kind of stuff (which can make your character stronger) is a kind of pay-to-win system. 

• 627 posts
    February 13, 2017 4:46 PM EST

Dragonborn1721 said:

So, theoretically what do you think of the fact that you can respect Attributes/Skills with the Crown Store or the ability to purchase the Werewolf/Vampier transformation? In some ways you could make an argument of that being a slightly more pay-to-win mindset, of purchasing a powerful skill line or being able to force your character to be more powerful. It isn't hard to counter that the former can be recieved in-game (but doesn'tn there still have to be someone that bought it?) but from what I can tell there is no option for the second one outside of the Crown Store.

It isn't quite the same as games that require you to buy extra characters that are better or to buy the best items or anything but to an extent I think someone could argue that purchasing this kind of stuff (which can make your character stronger) is a kind of pay-to-win system. 

When did either of us say pay to win? And DB we'd agreed to disagree :P

• 136 posts
    February 13, 2017 4:48 PM EST

Dragonborn1721 said:

I'd have an issue with it if the Crown Store was the only way to achieve those things. Contracting Lycanthropy and Vampirism is free in-game (that's how I did it for two of my characters). If you want to pay for it , so be it. As for respec'ing, it's actually cheaper to do it in-game than with Crowns. 

EDIT: and none of those things is pay-to-win. Not even in the slightest.

This post was edited by The_Lex at February 13, 2017 4:51 PM EST