Forums » Fallout

If You Had to Pick...

• 152 posts
    February 4, 2017 3:15 PM EST

I'm curious what you guys see as your bare favorite of items in Fallout 4, and I see this question as a way of truly boiling down answers: If you could choose ONE(No 'and's' and 'or's' for any of these, one choice per item) option for the following, what would you pick? DLC items are fine. Below are my answers

Weapon: Gatling Laser; so freaking fun and cool looking

Armor(must be a complete set if armor! No mismatching!): I love the look of Shadowed Leather armor over Raider Leathers on a female character

Chem: Med X 

Follower: Macready; he just seems like such a badass character despite being a rather sucky shot sometimes XD

Settlement: I like Sunshines Tiding Co-op because on my first playthrough I cleverly turned all the rather annoying unremovable houses there into different shops which led to me making my first memorable "trading hub" which brought me much joy

Combat Style: I honestly love running around with automatic weapons (Minigun and Gatling Laser Included) and enjoying that close quarters fast-paced style that although might not be the smartest, is definitely the most fun.

Faction:Railroad; I rather enjoy the fact that even though they are technelogically inferior to the Institute and BoS, they are still able to use less conventional methods to be effective. Plus getting a codename is badass

So please do share your own personal insight! Give whatever meaning or reason you have for your choices 

This post was edited by MaddMannatee at February 4, 2017 3:16 PM EST
    • 215 posts
    February 4, 2017 6:13 PM EST

Weapon: Deliverer.  Awesome pistol with escalating damage as you level (with mods) and the silencer.  Especially in my stealth vats build.  Awesomeness.

Armor: Not sure, I'm liking the Synth Armor right now.  Keep in mind I'm not all the way through the game so I have yet to see everything.  The DC Guard armor was neat since

Chem: Jet.  Slow time and VATs...15 shots without any retaliation basically. 

Follower: Deacon so far.  He makes some funny comments.  But overall, Nick Valentine.

Settlement: Just found Taffington Boathouse which is a cool little property.  Probably won't ever get HUGE but I like the layout and the ambiance.

Combat Style: I really enjoyed my build with melee combat using fist weapons and now, having found some bleed knives on my current play I'm like...damn that would have been sweet in my other build.

Faction: Probably Railroad, I like the pistol and the Ballistic Weave which is a huge armor upgrade with no power armor. 

• 152 posts
    February 5, 2017 12:41 AM EST

John LeBlanc said:

Armor: Not sure, I'm liking the Synth Armor right now.  Keep in mind I'm not all the way through the game so I have yet to see everything.  The DC Guard armor was neat since

Chem: Jet

Combat Style: I really enjoyed my build with melee combat using fist weapons and now, having found some bleed knives on my current play I'm like...damn that would have been sweet in my other build.

Idk why but I find the Synth armor a little lackluster, besides the synth field helmet of course

If you really like jet, you should check out my Starlet Sniper build in the workshop :p

Okay please help me to figure out how to enjoy melee. I've tried it twice now and deleted both characters. I really want to like it but at the same time find it impossible.

• 133 posts
    February 5, 2017 12:52 AM EST

Weapon: I have a strange affinity for pipe rifles...maybe its a combination of aesthetic mods to make them less blocky and the fact that a bolt-action pipe rifle saved my low-level survival character more than I can count. 

Armor: not even a little bit of mismatching?? Even a wee bit? Damn you Madd, that's all I do. But if I had to pick one armor thing, it'd be Kellogg's. 

Chem: PsychoJet. Nuff said.

Follower: Nick. Most of my characters have at least a little bit of noir appeal to them, so he always works. Plus his voice is sexy. 

Settlement: I like the beach one. Yeah that one. I forgot the name. Don't judge.

Combat Style: A really fun one is a stealthy knife fighter who can blow peeps away with a shotgun when his cover is blown.

Faction: Minutemen, because I like to be as vanilla as possible. 

• 277 posts
    February 5, 2017 2:22 AM EST
    Honestly, I just want a Pip-Boy. That thing has awesome music! :D
    • 152 posts
    February 5, 2017 11:07 AM EST

Noodles said: Honestly, I just want a Pip-Boy. That thing has awesome music! :D
     "Is that a Pip-Boy? Give my left arm for one of those."

• 152 posts
    February 5, 2017 11:07 AM EST

Noodles said: Honestly, I just want a Pip-Boy. That thing has awesome music! :D
     "Is that a Pip-Boy? Give my left arm for one of those."

• 277 posts
    February 5, 2017 3:20 PM EST

But how would you switch tabs then? :D

• 122 posts
    February 5, 2017 9:21 PM EST
    Weapon: The Deliverer. An awesome little murder gun, perfect for my playstyle.

Armor: I rarely bothered. Typically I wore clothes to feel dapper.

Settlement: Red Rocket Station has always been a great choice for me as a personal base and armory. I usually pimp the place out with defenses and a small squad of armored, trusted companions who keep the place running while I'm gone so I can pick whichever ones I want in one place.

Chem: Rad X. I hate radiation poisoning and think it's a pointlessly annoying mechanic,

Combat Style: Sneak murderer/trapper, because honestly I don't have much respect for Fallout 4's gameplay and feel no guilt for cheesing it.

Follower: Dogmeat. Obviously.

Faction: Railroad. Synth lives matter. The Minutemen are a very close second, and I wish they weren't exclusive.
    This post was edited by Mercurias at February 5, 2017 9:24 PM EST
    • 152 posts
    February 6, 2017 7:58 AM EST

ProbsCoolerThanYou said:

Weapon: I have a strange affinity for pipe rifles...maybe its a combination of aesthetic mods to make them less blocky and the fact that a bolt-action pipe rifle saved my low-level survival character more than I can count. 

Clearly pipe weaposn are rather popular since 90% of raiders still use them even at level 50 XD  

• 152 posts
    February 6, 2017 8:04 AM EST

Mercurias said: Weapon: The Deliverer. An awesome little murder gun, perfect for my playstyle. Armor: I rarely bothered. Typically I wore clothes to feel dapper. Settlement: Red Rocket Station has always been a great choice for me as a personal base and armory. I usually pimp the place out with defenses and a small squad of armored, trusted companions who keep the place running while I'm gone so I can pick whichever ones I want in one place. Chem: Rad X. I hate radiation poisoning and think it's a pointlessly annoying mechanic, Combat Style: Sneak murderer/trapper, because honestly I don't have much respect for Fallout 4's gameplay and feel no guilt for cheesing it. Follower: Dogmeat. Obviously. Faction: Railroad. Synth lives matter. The Minutemen are a very close second, and I wish they weren't exclusive.

The Deliverer has certianily become a favorite of many players, I love using it without the silincer mod on it, and weirdly i find the radiation mechanic a little bit fun as just kind of another thing going against the character. It does become rather annoying at one point or another, admittedly. I don't give a damn about synths, but I'll help out a thieves guild esque faction any day 

• 649 posts
    February 6, 2017 8:22 AM EST
    Lorenzo's Crown. Give me some alien power!
    • 152 posts
    February 6, 2017 2:45 PM EST

Karver the Lorc said: Lorenzo's Crown. Give me some alien power!
    Nah fam, gimme that dapper suit of his ;P

• 203 posts
    February 6, 2017 5:20 PM EST

Weapon: Spray 'n Pray. Yes it eats through bullets, but said bullets are explosive :D

Armor: If we have to go without mashups I'm gonna have to go for the General's outfit. Dapper and historic just what I like.

Chem: Stimpak. There's a simplistic elegance to them.

Follower: My vote has to go to Nick. Why? You're asking the wrong questions: Why not?

Settlement: This is probably gonna have to be Nordhagen beach, although a few of the locations I've conquered (with the conquest mod) were pretty nice as well. Right now I'm trying to set up a bit of a personal den in the sewage system under Concord (where the deathclaw lived) and it's quite an interesting spot to do so.

Combat style: I like to approach most combat situations carefully. Aka look for some cover first, try to snipe if possible then carefully advance with your semi-automatic rifle until you get in close to pull out the shotgun. Of course grenades are awesome too.

Faction: I guess the Minutemen? To be honest I prefer the idea of a more divided wasteland, but seeing the other options are toaster saving, toaster building and toaster destroying, they're probably the best I've got.

• 152 posts
    February 6, 2017 9:09 PM EST

Solid choices Teineeva! I like your opinion on preferring a more divided wasteland. I normally hold off on even picking a faction till much late game since I think it's more dynamic to have all these different factions kind of on edge just waiting to make their next big move

• 203 posts
    February 7, 2017 6:57 AM EST

MaddMannatee said:

Solid choices Teineeva! I like your opinion on preferring a more divided wasteland. I normally hold off on even picking a faction till much late game since I think it's more dynamic to have all these different factions kind of on edge just waiting to make their next big move

In my case it has more to do with the fact that I'm more of a fan of a city-state like system in these kinds of games, not sure why to be honest. But to me the idea of large amounts of medium sized settlements all having their own culture, ressources and systems of government in a post apocalyptic setting just speaks to me.

• 248 posts
    February 7, 2017 11:53 AM EST

Great thread!

Weapon: .50 Cal Sniper Rifle - Overseer's Guardian is prob more OP and certainly smoother...but there's something intoxicating about the WHAM of a .50 cal slamming into your shoulder. 

Armor: Shadowed Sturdy Leather over Marine Wetsuit (or BOS Officer blacks)

Chem: Grape Mentats - from passing tough speech checks to getting a killer deal, I love me some grape yum yums

Follower: I think Nick is probably the most developed follower, but he's too much of a goodygoody. Give me Cait and her ridiculous acccent. Plus she looks good in a Marine Wetsuit too :D

Settlement: Usually Red Rocket, but ocassiaonly I fix up the Castle

Combat: Hard to pick one for sure, but Sniper, to go with my weapon choice

Faction: Radier? I honestly don't care for any of the main factions, but choose one based on my playthrough. Going dark with Nuka World has kept me entertained lately. I guess I'm with Teineeva on this one.

• 152 posts
    February 7, 2017 12:56 PM EST

Mottyskills said:

Great thread!

Weapon: .50 Cal Sniper Rifle - Overseer's Guardian is prob more OP and certainly smoother...but there's something intoxicating about the WHAM of a .50 cal slamming into your shoulder. 

Armor: Shadowed Sturdy Leather over Marine Wetsuit (or BOS Officer blacks)

Chem: Grape Mentats - from passing tough speech checks to getting a killer deal, I love me some grape yum yums

Follower: I think Nick is probably the most developed follower, but he's too much of a goodygoody. Give me Cait and her ridiculous acccent. Plus she looks good in a Marine Wetsuit too :D

Settlement: Usually Red Rocket, but ocassiaonly I fix up the Castle

Combat: Hard to pick one for sure, but Sniper, to go with my weapon choice

Faction: Radier? I honestly don't care for any of the main factions, but choose one based on my playthrough. Going dark with Nuka World has kept me entertained lately. I guess I'm with Teineeva on this one.

Aye bro sniping all the way! I've never used Grape Mentats before, but maybe I'll try it since haggling has become pretty essential for my current character I'm playing with. And ugh I still haven't gotten Nuka World but it sounds SOOOOO fun

• 215 posts
    February 10, 2017 11:42 AM EST

MaddMannatee said:

John LeBlanc said:

Chem: Jet

Idk why but I find the Synth armor a little lackluster, besides the synth field helmet of course

If you really like jet, you should check out my Starlet Sniper build in the workshop :p

Okay please help me to figure out how to enjoy melee. I've tried it twice now and deleted both characters. I really want to like it but at the same time find it impossible.

Went back to my melee character for a bit.  The two big things I think you HAVE to do it have Blitz (Agility 9) and VATs.  The Blitz gives you basically a ranged attack (you teleport basically) and vats allows you to sometimes get 3-4 hits off to their one hit.  Without Blitz it is a bear as you have to close range while taking damage.  Not fun.  But it can be done.  Jet to slow time allows you to move closer with less damage.  Buff chems to lessen damage by 25%.  Things along those lines.

• 152 posts
    February 10, 2017 5:38 PM EST

I definitely agree that vats becomes pretty crucial to be most effective, but honestly I feel like vats just ruins gameplay for me in a way I can't seem to get around. But I sure do love me some chems so maybe I'll take another swing (pun intended) at a melee and chem build. The one I'm currently using dabbles a little bit in using melee as a back up so I'm getting some experience with it. I find that I always get staggered before I can get a swing off if I'm not careful enough so currently my strategy is to lower health enough with my rifle to be able to activate the finisher with my melee. Maybe the rooted perk will solve this

• 215 posts
    February 10, 2017 7:27 PM EST

MaddMannatee said:

I definitely agree that vats becomes pretty crucial to be most effective, but honestly I feel like vats just ruins gameplay for me in a way I can't seem to get around. But I sure do love me some chems so maybe I'll take another swing (pun intended) at a melee and chem build. The one I'm currently using dabbles a little bit in using melee as a back up so I'm getting some experience with it. I find that I always get staggered before I can get a swing off if I'm not careful enough so currently my strategy is to lower health enough with my rifle to be able to activate the finisher with my melee. Maybe the rooted perk will solve this

Work on figuring out blocking to stagger your attacker.  You can't hold a block indefinitely, it's a timing thing.  Pop a block to absorb the hit and then get off a series of shots.  Do it without vats if you want and the block mechanic will be even that much more important.  Maybe that would help staying away from vats.  Still think you need blitz though for any melee build just to avoid the "wall of fire" when moving into range.

• 152 posts
    February 10, 2017 11:08 PM EST

John LeBlanc said:

Work on figuring out blocking to stagger your attacker.  You can't hold a block indefinitely, it's a timing thing.  Pop a block to absorb the hit and then get off a series of shots.  Do it without vats if you want and the block mechanic will be even that much more important.  Maybe that would help staying away from vats.  Still think you need blitz though for any melee build just to avoid the "wall of fire" when moving into range.

now you got me thinking: is it possible/viable to blitz to an enemy and then simply exit vats before even swinging once? Like purely use it for the teleport mechanic? Maybe some kind of ninja/super speedy melee build could take full advantage of that

• 627 posts
    February 10, 2017 11:45 PM EST

MaddMannatee said:

now you got me thinking: is it possible/viable to blitz to an enemy and then simply exit vats before even swinging once? Like purely use it for the teleport mechanic? Maybe some kind of ninja/super speedy melee build could take full advantage of that

I believe it's possible to throw a grenade (preferably a flare) and then blitz to it, as I saw a video in which I guy did it to jump to a walkway above him to avoid a super mutant suicider, but I'm not sure if it was because of a mod or it's just something you can do in vanilla.

• 152 posts
    February 11, 2017 9:57 AM EST

Now that sounds like something that might interest me....I'll definitely have to test out if it's possible/effective