Forums » Elder Scrolls

Skyrim Mods; Why?

• 743 posts
    January 27, 2017 10:05 PM EST

Lately, I have noticed a rather, to put it bluntly, terrible trend in the Skyrim Mods. Mods right now are literally riddled with some of the worst priorities. For example, I've really been sick of the lame armors in vanilla Skyrim. By now, I would have thought there would have been enough retextures and standalone armors to the point of where I couldn't even make up my mind on what I wanted to run. Not even something as basic as a masked version of the shrouded armor for males is in this game yet. Instead, we've got hentai armor, Naruto's moon, Darth Vader Armor, and prettier elf mods.  I don't mean to complain, but I'm honestly disappointed in modding in Skyrim. Am I the only one? 

P.S.

To hentai modders cash me outside how bout dat

#dissapointed 

This post was edited by Rogue at January 27, 2017 10:27 PM EST
    • 87 posts
    January 28, 2017 10:03 AM EST
    You new to modding? You haven't seen the half of it. On PC there's obviously a lot more mods. But there's literally thousands of mods just to make the female bodies "sexier". It's pretty weird. It's always been a thing in skyrim modding.
    This post was edited by Decumus Scotti at January 28, 2017 10:04 AM EST
    • 3 posts
    January 29, 2017 7:19 AM EST

Decumus Scotti said: You new to modding? You haven't seen the half of it. On PC there's obviously a lot more mods. But there's literally thousands of mods just to make the female bodies "sexier". It's pretty weird. It's always been a thing in skyrim modding.

[This comment has been deleted by the user's petition]

This post was edited by DominatorLegend at January 29, 2017 8:48 AM EST
    • 87 posts
    January 29, 2017 7:49 AM EST
    DominatorLegend said:

Decumus Scotti said: You new to modding? You haven't seen the half of it. On PC there's obviously a lot more mods. But there's literally thousands of mods just to make the female bodies "sexier". It's pretty weird. It's always been a thing in skyrim modding.

You're giving up on modding just because you saw a bunch of not lore-friendly mods out there? Dude, there are A LOT of fantastic lore-friendly mods to try. You are acting too salty about this without even giving a single chance to some of the greatest modders out there.

Also, if you have trouble finding lore-friendly mods for Skyrim, check YouTube channel "Brodual". This guy ONLY reviews that sort of mods. I'll leave a link:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Brodual

I haven't given up on modding. I've been modding for a while and I know tons of great lore friendly mods. But I was referring to some of the mods that are just stupid.
    • 3 posts
    January 29, 2017 8:46 AM EST

Decumus Scotti said:
    DominatorLegend said:

You're giving up on modding just because you saw a bunch of not lore-friendly mods out there? Dude, there are A LOT of fantastic lore-friendly mods to try. You are acting too salty about this without even giving a single chance to some of the greatest modders out there.

Also, if you have trouble finding lore-friendly mods for Skyrim, check YouTube channel "Brodual". This guy ONLY reviews that sort of mods. I'll leave a link:

I haven't given up on modding. I've been modding for a while and I know tons of great lore friendly mods. But I was referring to some of the mods that are just stupid.

No no no, sorry. That reply was going to OP, but I clicked the wrong quote XD

I'm used to see the quote/reply option at the botton of a post and not at the upper part.

This post was edited by DominatorLegend at January 29, 2017 8:49 AM EST
    • 3 posts
    January 29, 2017 8:47 AM EST

RogueSilver said:

Lately, I have noticed a rather, to put it bluntly, terrible trend in the Skyrim Mods. Mods right now are literally riddled with some of the worst priorities. For example, I've really been sick of the lame armors in vanilla Skyrim. By now, I would have thought there would have been enough retextures and standalone armors to the point of where I couldn't even make up my mind on what I wanted to run. Not even something as basic as a masked version of the shrouded armor for males is in this game yet. Instead, we've got hentai armor, Naruto's moon, Darth Vader Armor, and prettier elf mods.  I don't mean to complain, but I'm honestly disappointed in modding in Skyrim. Am I the only one? 

P.S.

#dissapointed 

• 1595 posts
    January 29, 2017 4:02 PM EST

I don't think you're alone, Rogue. I used to check the new mods everyday but now I just check weekly. Looking throug the most recent and there are only a few I may click on. Troll King's Lair might be fun, Spectral Arrow might get some use down the line, possibly Better Whiterun Wood may get installed on the next playthrough. Other than them there is nothing eye-catching.

That is not so much a complaint, the ability to mod is already a treat and I do want to make a mod list that will really push my Xbox to the limit as I try go for maximum graphics and visuals, but right now I am missing the character-defining things or immersion mods. I probably am not looking hard enough.

This post was edited by Paws at January 29, 2017 4:03 PM EST
    • 104 posts
    January 30, 2017 9:26 AM EST

Hello Mate, Great post and something of a concern to myself Modding games like Skyrim is great fun yes? but do we really need the scantily clad female Imperial running around with her Greatsword leaving little else to the imagination? not for me other silly MODS ARE THOSE OF dbz origin I cannot see the point, Now before someone goes off the deep end calling me an ungrateful consoler, that is not the case I admire Modders and the work they do hell I donate to two of my favourites.

Modding for me is about enhancing Game play and Emersion I have Armour re-textures Hold Banners extra Dragons for a more realistic and dangerous playstyle, Oh and Phil the Whiterun wood is beautiful.

• 136 posts
    January 30, 2017 9:54 AM EST

I'm with the OP, here. OMG, I am so sick of seeing the ridiculous looking skimpy armor sets. One of the goals of the original Skyrim development team was to create a sense of realism to the TES fantasy world. To each his/her own, guess, but it's certainly not for me.

Last I checked, Hothtrooper (from Immersive Armors) is still working on a port to X1. He needs to get the proper permissions from the original authors and work out the details. He said that he might have to chop up the mods into separate parts due to the enormnous size of the mod and the constraints of the Berthesda mod platform.

• 136 posts
    January 30, 2017 9:57 AM EST

Phil said:

I don't think you're alone, Rogue. I used to check the new mods everyday but now I just check weekly. Looking throug the most recent and there are only a few I may click on. Troll King's Lair might be fun, Spectral Arrow might get some use down the line, possibly Better Whiterun Wood may get installed on the next playthrough. Other than them there is nothing eye-catching.

That is not so much a complaint, the ability to mod is already a treat and I do want to make a mod list that will really push my Xbox to the limit as I try go for maximum graphics and visuals, but right now I am missing the character-defining things or immersion mods. I probably am not looking hard enough.

I highly suggest that you try Better Whiterun Wood. I have it and love it. Here's a no-sound/no-commentary walkthrough (by KK 1349) of Whiterun. He has Better Whiterun Wood, Project Hippie, The People of Skyrim - Holistic Whiterun, Climates of Tamriel, Climates of Tamriel - Darker Nights, Dolomite Weathers, and Enhanced Night Sky. I run a similar set-up (minus Enhanced NIght Sky).

This post was edited by The_Lex at January 30, 2017 9:59 AM EST
    • 743 posts
    January 30, 2017 10:52 AM EST

Far from new, Scotti. What I'm getting at is that there's still plenty of immersion breaking things in Skyrim that really aren't that big, but instead of modders focusing on such matters, seem to instead be more interested in skimpy armors and anime. It's fucking ridiculous. No disrespect intended towards the guys creating the lore-friendly or straight immersion based mods, I just tire of their work being outnumbered by pure trash. 

• 743 posts
    January 30, 2017 10:57 AM EST

DominatorLegend said:

RogueSilver said:

P.S.

#dissapointed 

Yes, I realize that there are several lore-friendly mods out there. My issue is that they are outnumbered by skimpy armor and Star Wars mods. They have a Darth Vader armor mod that has more downloads than Surreal Lighting lmao.

• 743 posts
    January 30, 2017 11:03 AM EST

Phil said:

Phil, you've looked hard enough. I know damn well I have. It's just that there simply isn't as many immersive mods as I originally suspected there would've been by now. Instead, we've got these trashy skimpy armor mods and anime shit that's outnumbering the amazing mods such as graphic enhancers. It's a shame to the guys who actually invest their time in such awesome mods to be lower in the list than the latest skin mod. 

• 743 posts
    January 30, 2017 11:07 AM EST

Bonelord said:

Hello Mate, Great post and something of a concern to myself Modding games like Skyrim is great fun yes? but do we really need the scantily clad female Imperial running around with her Greatsword leaving little else to the imagination? not for me other silly MODS ARE THOSE OF dbz origin I cannot see the point, Now before someone goes off the deep end calling me an ungrateful consoler, that is not the case I admire Modders and the work they do hell I donate to two of my favourites.

Modding for me is about enhancing Game play and Emersion I have Armour re-textures Hold Banners extra Dragons for a more realistic and dangerous playstyle, Oh and Phil the Whiterun wood is beautiful.

Thanks, Bonelord! I really do see where you're coming from, mods are definitely an awesome feature, and I'm not intending to appear ungrateful for it. I'm just annoyed by the fact that these dumbass anime and skimpy armor mods seem to be in the largest category at the moment, and really puts the modding community in a bad light, one that they certainly do not deserve. 

• 743 posts
    January 30, 2017 11:11 AM EST

Patriarch said:

I'm with the OP, here. OMG, I am so sick of seeing the ridiculous looking skimpy armor sets. One of the goals of the original Skyrim development team was to create a sense of realism to the TES fantasy world. To each his/her own, guess, but it's certainly not for me.

Last I checked, Hothtrooper (from Immersive Armors) is still working on a port to X1. He needs to get the proper permissions from the original authors and work out the details. He said that he might have to chop up the mods into separate parts due to the enormnous size of the mod and the constraints of the Berthesda mod platform.

That's great news, Patriarch. Here's to hoping that we'll have more modders port more legendary steam mods to console. Damn do we need it.

• 275 posts
    January 30, 2017 8:38 PM EST

I think Skyrim modding has devolved into one big mess of 70% shit and 30% gold. The shit being waifu/anime/skimpy/nude mods and the gold being the great, immersive mods that actually require skill like Frostfall and INeed. You can find the gold but to do that you have to search through the pile of shit.

• 1441 posts
    January 30, 2017 11:10 PM EST

Ebonslayer said:

I think Skyrim modding has devolved into one big mess of 70% shit and 30% gold. The shit being waifu/anime/skimpy/nude mods and the gold being the great, immersive mods that actually require skill like Frostfall and INeed. You can find the gold but to do that you have to search through the pile of shit.

im fine with non Lore friendly mods. Skyrim can be fun with all the wacky mods out there

• 321 posts
    January 31, 2017 4:16 AM EST

My answer for this problem is pretty simple. Filter Nexus search and keep browsing.

But still, whenever I see an armor mod that has UNP/CBBE support all I could of is skimpy armor. *groans*

• 743 posts
    January 31, 2017 10:19 AM EST

Ebonslayer said:

This pretty much sums up my point. It's so annoying to see said shit top out on the most popular mod for the day/week. 

• 122 posts
    January 31, 2017 11:02 PM EST

Eh. If someone spends hours upon hours of their time making a mod that's 90% cleavage and fart jokes, that's their choice. I actually think it's kind of nice of them to share, even if I don't want what they're sharing. My bigger problem is with blatant cheat and godmode mods. I tend not to like them very much, so I just avoid that section of the Nexus entirely.

Right now I'm using the Unofficial Skyrim SE Patch, Cloaks of Skyrim, Frostfall, iNeed, Birds of Skyrim, a couple of texture overhauls to make things look purdy, and am looking for a Vampire overhaul that doesn't dive deep into godmode territory. Any good suggestions?

• 743 posts
    February 1, 2017 10:29 AM EST

Mercurias said:

Eh. If someone spends hours upon hours of their time making a mod that's 90% cleavage and fart jokes, that's their choice. I actually think it's kind of nice of them to share, even if I don't want what they're sharing. My bigger problem is with blatant cheat and godmode mods. I tend not to like them very much, so I just avoid that section of the Nexus entirely.

Right now I'm using the Unofficial Skyrim SE Patch, Cloaks of Skyrim, Frostfall, iNeed, Birds of Skyrim, a couple of texture overhauls to make things look purdy, and am looking for a Vampire overhaul that doesn't dive deep into godmode territory. Any good suggestions?

This is another excellent point that I neglected to mention. Godmode mods are probably more cancerous than the skimpy armor and star wars mods. The only people that run them are players that suck ass at Skyrim on novice difficulty, lol.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    February 1, 2017 5:56 PM EST

Someguy has finished his Fallout: New Vegas mod series and has moved on to start a Skyrim series. To those who do not know him, this guy has made mods that are exceptionally well written and voiced, and his work on New Vegas is so good it seems like it was always meant to be a part of the main game. It's even better than the way Bethesda usually writes and handles Fallout-related stuff.

As I said, he has now moved to Skyrim, and although it usually takes a looong time for him to finish his questlines (his first NV mod, New Vegas Bounties I came out in Nov 2010 and he finished the story in Oct 2015/Nov 2015, with New Vegas Bounties III and Better Angels), it is worth the wait. From what I gathered from his Skyrim series, it will be focused on the aftermath of a Stormcloak victory in the Civil War. I haven't had the time to play it yet, but the first "chapter" is out:

In the wake of Ulfric's victory, the Stormcloaks are still fighting to re-assert control over a devastated, divided Skyrim. Tasked with cementing Stormcloak rule, the Dragonborn must deal with a variety of new challenges, all of which require difficult choices that likely entail unforeseen consequences. The clear lines that defined the civil war are now gone, replaced by shifting, uncertain alliances and murky morality.

Blood of the Nord is a mid-sized quest mod that serves as the opening chapter in a series of plugins that explore the aftermath of Stormcloak victory, including the inevitable war with the Aldmeri Dominion.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/72817?

There are good and there are some "bad" mods. You just have to dig... Or simply go to Gopher's youtube channel, open up a New Vegas/Skyrim/Fallout4/Fallout3 playthrough, go to the description and check out the mods he's using.

EDIT: Here's his New Vegas mods, for those who are interested and like some damn-fine good old western stories: http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/48925/?

This post was edited by Mr. at February 1, 2017 6:00 PM EST
    • 122 posts
    February 3, 2017 7:21 AM EST
    I honestly can't think of a modding community that is very. Ugh different in terms of content than the Nexus is, bewbs and godmode cheats included. I think part of it stems from how young a lot of modders are, particularly when they start the hobby up. Some of the more sophisticated mods in terms of story, gameplay, and the highest tiers of boob-quality are of course made by older folks, some even full-time professionals. I could see a person who runs a graphic design and editing type thing on Second Life porting things over to Skyrim when asked, which I believe is exactly what ApachiiSkyhair is.