Forums » General Gaming

Most anticipated game of 2017

• 773 posts
    January 2, 2017 3:32 PM EST

Hello everyone

As long-standing members might recall, I used to do polls on the other site - and there was always a poll at the start of a new year about the most anticipated games in the coming year. Since I don't know how to do a poll on the new site, or if its even possible, I thought I'd make a forum thread.

So what is your most anticipated RPG-type game for 2017? Here are a few possible contenders with their ETA and platform

• Torment: Tides of Numeera (February; PS4, PC, XB1)
    • Horizon Zero Dawn (February; PS4)
    • Mass Effect: Andromeda (March; PC, PS4, XB1)
    • Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (TBC, PS4)
    • Vampyr (June: PC, PS4, XB1)
    • The Last of us (TBC: PS4)
    • Red Dead Redemption 2 (TBC: PC, XB1, PS4)
    • Kingdom Come Deliverance (TBC: PS4, PC, XB1)
    • Divine Divinity 2 (TBA; PC)
    • Final Fantasy VII Remake (TBA;PS4)

Or are you just hanging on for Elder Scrolls VI?

So, what RPG / Open World style games are you most anticipating for 2017?

• 312 posts
    January 2, 2017 3:35 PM EST
    Valkyria Revolution (JP - 19 January 2017; NA - Early 2017) PS4/PS Vita
    This post was edited by WuYiXiang at January 2, 2017 3:36 PM EST
    • 277 posts
    January 2, 2017 3:35 PM EST

Mass Effect Andromeda, Cyberpunk 2077 and even though it's PS4 exclusive (I'll watch the whole thing on youtube) The Last of Us 2! :D

• 773 posts
    January 2, 2017 3:46 PM EST

Noodles said:

Cyberpunk 2077 

I don't expect we'll see it in 2017, but I agree that it is one to definitely watch. If it is anywhere near the level of Witcher 3, then it will be incredible

• 277 posts
    January 2, 2017 4:04 PM EST

Damn, I thought it was coming this year!!!

• 19 posts
    January 2, 2017 6:52 PM EST

There is Call of Cthulhu that was announced during the E3 2016, I don't expect to see it released this year but I'm greatly excited about it =).

Oterwise none. 

• 1467 posts
    January 2, 2017 7:08 PM EST

I am 100% sold on The Last of Us 2...they honestly could've have released a trailer for that game saying that it's garbage and I would've still been beyond pumped for it. 

As for some more open-world/RPG games, I'm definitely down for Horizen: Zero Dawn, the idea of fighting some of those massive machine/monsters with what seems to be a fairly primitive set of weapons seems awesome (and if there are weapons other than the bow I doubt I'll use them). Kind of reminds me of Far Cry mixed with, I dunno something similar to what I've heard about Shadow of the Collosus, which seems like an awesome combo. Oh and then there's Divinity: Original Sin 2, which follows one of the most creative RPG's I've played in ages so I'm 100% down for it, and might just buy the early purchase version because I'm so sold on it.

I really want to give Final Fantasy VII a go, I've never played FF before and I've kind of been waiting for the remake for some reason (when I could probably start at 1...)

• January 2, 2017 7:54 PM EST

Nier: Automata is looking great and I've heard good things about the PS4-exclusive demo. It's a (non-licensed) Platinum game so I feel safe getting hyped for it. They're the current kings of spectacle fighters. Supergiant Games have proven themselves with Bastion and Transistor, in my eyes, so I'm also looking forward to Pyre. The culture in the game looks a little Romanian, which is pretty rad. Not too crazy about the combat, but I'll give it a chance. I'm cautiously excited for Mass Effect: Andromeda. I only finished the first one, but I plan to beat the the series at some point. Just need to get those damn DLC that never go on sale. Anyways, the combat in Andromeda looked really good. A bit over-the-top, but still pretty fun and it's not like the combat was phenomenal in ME1. The player character's face in the demo freaked me out. Hopefully that's something they improve on because, Jesus...

Also there's no word on what game it is and it probably won't even come out in 2017, but Hideaki Itsuno is supposed to be working on a new game. He's worked on Devil May Cry 2 (utter garbage), Devil May Cry 3 (absolutely incredible), Devil May Cry 4 (good but has some huge issues), and Dragon's Dogma (which I love, flawed as it is). Hopefully he's working on either DMC5 or Dragon's Dogma 2. I can't decide which one I want more. Dragon's Dogma is a phenomenal concept that never reached its full potential, but I also really want goofball Dante back.

• 248 posts
    January 2, 2017 11:04 PM EST

A Paul Poll!!!!

I was just thinking about posting something like this...I think the ones that have caught my eye are ME:Andromeda, Death Stranding (hideo kojima's mystery game - again not likely in 2017), maybe Days Gone (PS4, TBC) for some zombie killin. Good call on Cyberpunk - it's got that Blade runner / replicant retro vibe...def hype - but a long way off.

Anyone tracking Star Citizen?

• 773 posts
    January 3, 2017 8:09 AM EST

Horizon Zero Dawn looks great, but I don't know that I can face a huge medieval fantasy so soon after spending 18 months working my way through The Witcher 3 (yeah, I know, I play games slowly...)

I'm going keep an eye on Torment: Tides of Numeera. Being ancient, I played Planescape Torment when it first came out, and love it. If this can somehow captre the aesthetic and vibe, then it could be a winner.

And, although it might not make it in 2017, Red Dead 2 of course. What's not to like about Red Dead Redemption?

• 743 posts
    January 3, 2017 10:03 AM EST

Not even the first mention of Assassin's Creed 2017? Ubisoft actually took a year off for Assassin's Creed, which already says a lot. As long as it's not set in Egypt, I think it will be one of the best of the series. Definitely my most anticipated game this year so far.

• 1483 posts
    January 3, 2017 10:32 AM EST

ME Andromeda!! Been waiting for years for this game!

Then - Vampyr. The gameplay they showed looked quite interesting!

Matt, you absolutely need to play ME2. It's almost universally regarded as the best in the series. Combat is much improved there and it has one of the most epic sequences in gaming :)

• 649 posts
    January 3, 2017 10:38 AM EST

ME Andromeda, no doubt.

Otherwise...hm, don´t know. Wait, yeah, Styx: Shards of Darkness. Beside that...nah, don´t know about anything.

• 411 posts
    January 3, 2017 11:10 AM EST
    No zelda? Im disapointed.

Red dead redemption 2 no doubt. Red dead redemption has become one of my favorite games by rockstar so i cant wait for its sequel.or prequel. Or whatever it is.
    • 248 posts
    January 3, 2017 11:22 AM EST

Dragonborn1721 said:

I am 100% sold on The Last of Us 2...they honestly could've have released a trailer for that game saying that it's garbage and I would've still been beyond pumped for it. 

Is there any more info on this more than just that animated pseudo trailer with her playing guitar?

• 87 posts
    January 3, 2017 11:43 AM EST
    Definitely Mount and Blade: Bannerlord. Probably going to be the best medieval game of all time.
    • 140 posts
    January 3, 2017 11:58 AM EST

Both Red Dead Redemtion 2 and whatever the new Assassin's Creed will be. And it probably goes without saying, but if by some sheer miracle TES:VI is released this year, than it as well.

• 50 posts
    January 3, 2017 1:23 PM EST

Mass Effect: Andromeda and Red Dead Redemption 2 - two of my other favourite game franchises aside from Elder Scrolls. I don't expect to see ES6 for at least a couple of years.

Star Citizen is another game I'm keeping an eye on too.

This post was edited by Teekus at January 3, 2017 1:24 PM EST
    • 273 posts
    January 3, 2017 1:30 PM EST

Nah, I'm still waiting until 2100 when they release Skyrim 2 :P

• 248 posts
    January 3, 2017 5:46 PM EST

Oh - hey is no one into Conan Exile? Multiple races, crafting, build your own village, multiple religions...etc. Sounds like something RPG folks would be into...?

• 295 posts
    January 3, 2017 6:38 PM EST

Mottyskills said:

Oh - hey is no one into Conan Exile? Multiple races, crafting, build your own village, multiple religions...etc. Sounds like something RPG folks would be into...?

Well, I enjoyed the old movies and I do not lie, I played the Skyrim mod Hyperion Age with a big grin on my face. :D

I don't know what I'm looking forward too, though. They will all be games I can't play cause I haves a potato now. 

• 1467 posts
    January 3, 2017 7:06 PM EST

Is there any more info on this more than just that animated pseudo trailer with her playing guitar?

Nah that's it so far Motty, but that's enough for me :P 

• January 4, 2017 1:10 AM EST

Vazgen said:

Matt, you absolutely need to play ME2. It's almost universally regarded as the best in the series. Combat is much improved there and it has one of the most epic sequences in gaming :)

I've played a few hours and the combat was loads of fun. I used a Soldier for that sexy slow-mo. I'm a bit hesitant to complete it because A.) I'm missing a lot of (apparently vital) DLC that never goes on sale and B.) I'm playing on the 360 and ME2/ME3 require two discs. In linear games, this isn't much of an issue, but if I want to visit an early planet in ME2, I need disc 1. Other planets require disc 2. So I'm gonna get the trilogy on PC and just start over. Not a huge deal, but the DLC will still be a pain to get. I'll get there eventually, Vaz ;)

And I agree, Vampyr looks pretty interesting. in case you didn't know, the developers, Dontnod Entertainment, also made Remember Me, which is something of a brawler as well. You might enjoy that and it might give you a taste of what to expect from Vampyr, but there's no guarantee. After Remember Me, they made Life is Strange, which is an episodic, story-based game (like Telltale games), so they haven't been a one-note developer thus far.

• 1483 posts
    January 4, 2017 3:42 AM EST

Matt Feeney said:

I've played a few hours and the combat was loads of fun. I used a Soldier for that sexy slow-mo. I'm a bit hesitant to complete it because A.) I'm missing a lot of (apparently vital) DLC that never goes on sale and B.) I'm playing on the 360 and ME2/ME3 require two discs. In linear games, this isn't much of an issue, but if I want to visit an early planet in ME2, I need disc 1. Other planets require disc 2. So I'm gonna get the trilogy on PC and just start over. Not a huge deal, but the DLC will still be a pain to get. I'll get there eventually, Vaz ;)

And I agree, Vampyr looks pretty interesting. in case you didn't know, the developers, Dontnod Entertainment, also made Remember Me, which is something of a brawler as well. You might enjoy that and it might give you a taste of what to expect from Vampyr, but there's no guarantee. After Remember Me, they made Life is Strange, which is an episodic, story-based game (like Telltale games), so they haven't been a one-note developer thus far.

Agreed 100%. An edition with all DLCs is long overdue if you ask me!

I was debating on whether to try Remember Me or not, but I didn't know it was made by the same team :)

• 585 posts
    January 4, 2017 11:37 AM EST

Turns out I don't know anything about games, I didn't know ha;f of these were coming out, or even what they are.

The Last of Us was amazing on the PS3 (I assume, I watched a playthrough but I'm on the Xbox so I never played it), so a continuation of that would be awesome, eventhough I wouldn't be able to play it it would still be fun to watch.

Red Dead Redemption 2 I have no doubt will be incredible, it's predecessor is one of the best open world games ever, in my very uninformed opinion. Haven't watched any trailers or anything yet though, might have to look into that.

But I doubt I'll be touching any of these games until at the earliest the later part of 2017, probably 2018. There are loads of games that I'm waiting to get in sales, and I'm thinking about going back to some classic 360 games that I've missed, because I feel like I should play them and they're now ridiculously cheap (5 AAA games for a tenner, yes please).