Forums » The Lounge

Things You Might Not Know

• 39 posts
    December 18, 2016 8:06 AM EST

Hi guys, Blacklight here.

I think it would help us all get to know each other better by giving a piece of information. I was thinking if you have any hobbies, elaborate on it. It must include:

*When you started.

*What you do (Play guitar, chess, football, etc.).

*Why you do it?

*Do you enjoy doing it?

*How often do you do your hobby?

Okay, so I'll go first.

So, I play Piano, because I love music. Not pop music, or dubstep, I like good ol' classical. I was Grade 10 (Improssibru) before I finished my training. I have been playing for twelve years, and can play many advanced pieces such as Fantasie Impromptu, Moonlit Sonata 3rd Mov. and Rondo e Capriccio. I began playing in 2004, after I got a piano for my 6th birthday. I do it because I simply love playing music, it makes me and others happy, so I do it,

I love playing piano, I own a Steinway Grand Piano (I was saving for years to get it) which is very high-quality, but VERY expensive, however I had enough to get it last year.

I practise piano for 1hr 40mins every day. I strive to learn more and am always working on perfecting pieces.

So, thats my Hobby. What are yours?

This post was edited by Blacklight at December 18, 2016 8:07 AM EST
    • 1467 posts
    December 18, 2016 8:31 AM EST

I don't really know how to sum up my hobby. I'm massively into Basketball, not just watching it but I also have played for a club for the last 5 years and started coaching a team this year. Overall I've probably been playing basketball for around 6 years, but I took a pretty massive break after my first year because I'd moved. My coaching as I mentioned is a much more recent thing, but it's definitely something I've enjoyed immensly (I've coached a team to a Grand Finale win in Under 16s boys and just had to leave my second team halfway through the season because  my family moved across the country). 

Why do I play Basketball... Well, it's a pretty decent way to stay in shape (though, I should probably see if I can play four games a week to make it work better :P) but I mostly do it as a way to socialize and enjoy myself (and I'm competitive as hell, I love winning). I coach basketball for a number of reasons

1) I want to pass on some of my knowledge to some younger players (the sheer lack of decent centers in my club made my skills there actually useful.)

2) I enjoy it. That might be a simple reason but hey, if you don't enjoy something you shouldn't do it. 

3) I've actually thought about trying to become a professional coach, part of that might be the fact that I'm a couple inches too short to really make it work as a player (both in Australia and America...I think I'm about 4 inches short for even being a Small Forward in the NBA, let alone a Power Forward or Center like I currently play) unless I dramatically changed how I play. 

I haven't played for a couple of weeks (my last game of the season ended with me spraining my right foot pretty badly), but let's see. I played a game a week, had training twice a week. I coached a game once a week and trained my team once a week so, let's see I got about 8 hours a week into basketball overall, and that's assuming I didn't miss the games on TV (where it's more like 10-14 hours a week). I'd love to do more but school always made that difficult. 

Good topic Blacklight

• 39 posts
    December 18, 2016 8:57 AM EST

Dragonborn1721 said:

I don't really know how to sum up my hobby. I'm massively into Basketball, not just watching it but I also have played for a club for the last 5 years and started coaching a team this year. Overall I've probably been playing basketball for around 6 years, but I took a pretty massive break after my first year because I'd moved. My coaching as I mentioned is a much more recent thing, but it's definitely something I've enjoyed immensly (I've coached a team to a Grand Finale win in Under 16s boys and just had to leave my second team halfway through the season because  my family moved across the country). 

Why do I play Basketball... Well, it's a pretty decent way to stay in shape (though, I should probably see if I can play four games a week to make it work better :P) but I mostly do it as a way to socialize and enjoy myself (and I'm competitive as hell, I love winning). I coach basketball for a number of reasons

1) I want to pass on some of my knowledge to some younger players (the sheer lack of decent centers in my club made my skills there actually useful.)

2) I enjoy it. That might be a simple reason but hey, if you don't enjoy something you shouldn't do it. 

3) I've actually thought about trying to become a professional coach, part of that might be the fact that I'm a couple inches too short to really make it work as a player (both in Australia and America...I think I'm about 4 inches short for even being a Small Forward in the NBA, let alone a Power Forward or Center like I currently play) unless I dramatically changed how I play. 

I haven't played for a couple of weeks (my last game of the season ended with me spraining my right foot pretty badly), but let's see. I played a game a week, had training twice a week. I coached a game once a week and trained my team once a week so, let's see I got about 8 hours a week into basketball overall, and that's assuming I didn't miss the games on TV (where it's more like 10-14 hours a week). I'd love to do more but school always made that difficult. 

Good topic Blacklight

Wow, DB, thats really interesting. I enjoy basketball too, though only in P.E in school (I'm in 6th year). I see what you mean with "If you dont enjoy something you shouldn't do it". My Aunt plays Violin, and has made her daughter and son do lessons. Her son likes it, but her daughter is very sporty and despises is, but my Aunt insists that "our family has had four generations of musicians" and she dosen't want to lose that streak, I guess.

Anyway, thanks for replying, DB. Very interesting.

• 18 posts
    December 18, 2016 2:36 PM EST

I'm quite into Music, I started the Piano in 2011ish and while I don't practice as much as I should I do enjoy it. My proper hobby is using my ability at the piano in Electronic Music Production  - I do it simply because it's what I enjoy, I could sit there for hours just making sixty seconds of instrumental music - it never gets boring.

As stated, I don't really practice the piano as much as I should but I have weekly lessons - as for Music production, after Christmas I'll finally have enough for an amateur studio setup which I'll probably use like mad.

Coincidentally, I'm trying to get a Music group set up on the Vault doing related instrumental tracks, covers, etc. I've posted the idee on the Site Feeback but no reply yet - we'll see  :)

This is a good idea Blacklight, there should be more of this stuff - makes the Vault seem more like a home  :D