Forums » General Gaming

Black Friday Deals and Discussion

• 248 posts
    November 22, 2016 12:13 AM EST

So for our American crew - Black Friday marks a fairly regular opportunity to stock up for cheap on games (or bundled systems). This is how I got my PS3 and PS4 in past years. And this year I've got my eye on a few games for sure.

So, easy one: WhatyaBuyin?

My list is short and sweet:

1. Destiny: The Collection (my buddy wants to get me into it so I can run with his crew and it looks pretty dope, despite being 3+ yrs old). $30 (target)

2. Rise of the Tomb Raider (Had to wait for this one on PS4, honestly really looking forward to some bow sniping and open-ish world adventuring). $25-30 (Amazon and others)

Other notes: I'd be remiss if I didn't tempt folks who've never tried Fallout 4 with a $15 Target door buster.

Skyrim SE will be as low as $29.99 (target) for those holding out.

• 261 posts
    November 22, 2016 6:23 AM EST
    Pokemon Moon, most probably.
    • 585 posts
    November 22, 2016 6:36 AM EST

The Divison looks a lot cheaper in the Xbox sale, so I might be tempted to get that. But I've heard that it gets a little old after a while, and the number of players active must be way down by now so I might not be able to get the full experience.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    November 22, 2016 5:27 PM EST

"Want" is a strong word, but both the games I'd be more interested in getting are too new to be on sale - Mafia III and Dishonored 2. But honestly, I'm already struggling to play the games I already own that buying more would only really increase my Steam library.

And with Total War: Warhammer still kicking and getting so much support from CA with free DLCs, DLCs that are worth the price and two more main games that will actually link together with the first one on the way, together with all the DLCs and FLCs for those two games, we can expect 3 or 4 more years of continued support for Total War: Warhammer.

So instead of stating what I'm looking forward to buy, I'll be recommeding TW: Warhammer for the PC owners out there. Here's its latest announced DLC, to be released on December 8th:

• 87 posts
    November 22, 2016 8:04 PM EST
    Make sure you don trample anyone when you buy your games. I've heard Americans go crazy on Black Friday.
    • 248 posts
    November 22, 2016 8:06 PM EST

Decumus Scotti said: Make sure you don trample anyone when you buy your games. I've heard Americans go crazy on Black Friday.

hahaha I won't be anywhere near a brick and mortar store. Online FTW

• 275 posts
    November 23, 2016 1:19 AM EST
    I think you should definitely buy Destiny, it's an amazing game for its age and is still alive and being regularly updated. It plays very much like Halo to my understanding (I don't own Halo so I'm basing that off what I've heard) so if you like that then try Destiny.

If I can get a PS4 I have a list of games to buy, withDS3 and Bloodborne at the top of my list.
    • 248 posts
    November 23, 2016 12:55 PM EST

Ebonslayer said: I think you should definitely buy Destiny, it's an amazing game for its age and is still alive and being regularly updated. It plays very much like Halo to my understanding (I don't own Halo so I'm basing that off what I've heard) so if you like that then try Destiny. If I can get a PS4 I have a list of games to buy, withDS3 and Bloodborne at the top of my list.

Yea one of the cool things they've done with the rerelease collection is given the option of a level 40 jumpstart so you're not super behind. They've release dlc recently, which is also included and shows the committment to the game.  I'm def going to grab it.

• 277 posts
    November 23, 2016 2:14 PM EST

I got this bad boy. :D

• 275 posts
    November 23, 2016 8:38 PM EST

Mottyskills said:

Ebonslayer said: I think you should definitely buy Destiny, it's an amazing game for its age and is still alive and being regularly updated. It plays very much like Halo to my understanding (I don't own Halo so I'm basing that off what I've heard) so if you like that then try Destiny. If I can get a PS4 I have a list of games to buy, withDS3 and Bloodborne at the top of my list.

Yea one of the cool things they've done with the rerelease collection is given the option of a level 40 jumpstart so you're not super behind. They've release dlc recently, which is also included and shows the committment to the game.  I'm def going to grab it.

Actually, it only gives a boost to level 25 which is required to start the DLC and it's only once per profile, you still have to work for 40. Might as well have given the 40 boost though, I maxed in about 7 hours.

• 700 posts
    November 25, 2016 10:04 PM EST

I bought Bloodborne for $15 today. I don't think it was actually on sale at all - it's just old. But I'm counting it as my Black Friday purchase. It's good, far more enjoyable than Dark Souls straight out the gate. 

• 248 posts
    November 25, 2016 10:14 PM EST

Legion said:

I bought Bloodborne for $15 today. I don't think it was actually on sale at all - it's just old. But I'm counting it as my Black Friday purchase. It's good, far more enjoyable than Dark Souls straight out the gate. 

you know - I saw that somewhere too and was like.... "should I"? Interesting to hear you say better than DS at the outset.

• 248 posts
    November 25, 2016 10:15 PM EST

Actually, it only gives a boost to level 25 which is required to start the DLC and it's only once per profile, you still have to work for 40. Might as well have given the 40 boost though, I maxed in about 7 hours.

oh yeah? Good to know

• 321 posts
    November 25, 2016 10:31 PM EST

Mottyskills said:

Legion said:

you know - I saw that somewhere too and was like.... "should I"? Interesting to hear you say better than DS at the outset.

It's fast-paced (can't say if it's on par or better than DS3's combat system), has good Lovecratian-inspired lore, and oh so much blood. If I had a PS4, Bloodborne would totally be my first pick.

I'm not going to influence your decision on it. So it's up to you.

• 558 posts
    November 26, 2016 11:57 PM EST

I got Star Wars Battlefront EA for $7.50 on PS4

• 700 posts
    November 27, 2016 1:54 PM EST

Mottyskills said:

Legion said:

Ten hours in and I can say it's far more enjoyable than Dark Souls 1 or 2, at least as far as my tastes go. The biggest positive change is that the game actually feels, well...balanced. No longer is it about hunting the OP weapons like the Uchigatana or Drake Sword to stand a chance. You can excell with pretty much any weapon as long as you keep it upgraded and learn its moveset. Oh, and I haven't found an infinite pit of death yet! There are plenty of lethal falls, but none so ridiculous that they're clearly meant to frustrate rather than challenge. Bloodborne is by all rights a simplified Dark Souls and isn't even in the same universe, but it is the first Souls game I have ever legitimately enjoyed. Gameplay is tight and intuitive, fights are thrilling, resource management gives weight and importance to items, it's visually stunning, the bloody, grotesque atmosphere is palpable, the voice acting and sound design are outstanding, and it's still as thoroughly challenging as Dark Souls. It simply requires you to be in the action to excell. I struggled at first because I was used to tanking and turtling in Dark Souls. But now, if you get hit, you get a small window to get back into the fight and smack up the person you hit you, getting pieces of your health back if you succeed. I could go on and gush even more about it, but I think that's sufficient to get my point across. Pick it up, play it, thank me later. 

Edit: It's also running at 30 fps which is amazing. One of my biggest gripes with DS2 for PS4 was that the frame rate was too high. 60fps in a gritty, slow-moving survival game hurts the experience. 

This post was edited by Legion at November 27, 2016 4:26 PM EST
    • 6 posts
    November 28, 2016 2:59 AM EST
    Got Skyrim SE Xbox One for $25 at MS Store. I think it was a great deal.