Forums » Elder Scrolls

What Elder Scrolls race is your favorite?

• 224 posts
    November 10, 2016 7:09 PM EST

I thought of this question after asking Karver about some Dunmer lore, and he mentioned that the Dunmer were one of his three favorite races, and I realized I maybe one fo the few people on here, who don't have a favorite race. So I was wondering what is your favorite race or races and why?

• 558 posts
    November 10, 2016 8:04 PM EST

I like High Elves the most. They brag about being superior, but it's okay because they actually are. They are the best spellcasters in Tamriel, they have the longest natural life span, and they are going to take over all of Tamriel's provinces. 

• 261 posts
    November 10, 2016 9:28 PM EST
    Gotta say I agree with you, Thief. Don't really have a favorite race. I like all the races, actually, even if I still don't know much of the Redguards in particular.
    • 1467 posts
    November 10, 2016 10:35 PM EST

Hmm, I'll cover this from a couple of different points of view because there are different definitions of which one is my favourite.

Gameplay (Morrowind) - In Morroiwnd I loved playing as a Bosmer, regardless of the fact that they weren't many good Bosmer Characters I really loved the +15 to Marksman that they had, it made it much easier to start as an Archer (which was my fav class).

Gameplay (Oblivion) - Obviouly Altmer, there was no raise that was anywhere near as cool (weaknesses and strengths make an Altmer great), and I loved having that major weakness to all types of Magic.

Gameplay (Skyrim) - Orcs. Enough said, end of sentence, etc.

Lore/RP: Honestly, above all I really love the Altmer with Dunmer coming in at a close second. The history and religion of the Altmer is incredibly interesting t me, and I think that the intereting distinctions between their gods and the human gods (Akatosh vs. Auri-el for instance) is really interesting to me. The Dunmer have Vivec, so that's really enough for anyone. 

• 6 posts
    November 10, 2016 10:38 PM EST
    Orc for a few reasons. From a gameplay perspective, they fulfill my favorite play style in rpgs', a tanky berserker style warriors preferably with a giant hammer.

Another reason being their aesthetic. I assume argonian lovers love argonians because they are giant lizards. I love Orcs because they're savage monsters. They just look cool.

And the last reason I suppose, that has only just occurred to me recently, is the fact they are the 'spurned and ostracized' of the elder scrolls races. I was a loner throughout most of my childhood and never had a whole lot of friends. Nerdy, socially awkward, didn't fit in with the main crowd, etc. So I guess they probably resonated with me on some subconscious level when I first played an elder scrolls game. (Oblivion when I was 11.).
    • 8 posts
    November 11, 2016 3:15 AM EST

Khajits. They have so many untold stories, interesting Pantheon and a good sense of humor. Though I never played a rogue Khajit and I will never play it. 

• 649 posts
    November 11, 2016 3:40 AM EST
    Dunmer, yup. Kickass Lore, Tribunal, harsh enviroment. They are on the first place with Orcs in my book. To most people Orcs are nothing but savage monsters, but that is BS. They are the strongest folk of Tamriel and I don't talk about physical strength. Their honor and their style of living makes them that. Plus Malacath, alright?

Second place belongs to Glade Goblins as Phil likes to call Bosmer. To this day, there's nothing more crazy and funny than Rite of Theft for me :D

Third place are Altmer. Cause Thalmor :P

Yup, I'm totally pro-Mer. :)
    This post was edited by Karver the Lorc at November 11, 2016 3:41 AM EST
    • 641 posts
    November 11, 2016 5:01 AM EST

I don't really have to say it do I? :P

Ok, I'll list em in order.

1. Dunmer - By far my favourite race, no others even come close. They have the most fleshed out culture in ES and it actually feels ancient and unique.

2. Khajiit - Same as above but to a lesser degree since they haven't had a game but they have so much potential.

3. Redguards - I love Yokudan philosophies and view on cosmology. It gets bonus points for not just being a copy and paste of other views on relgion.

4. Orsimer - I love their arcitecture and how they are so widespread so that each Orc culture has a slightly diferent view.

5. Everybody else.

6. Nords.

It isn't a coincidence that my favourite fantasy game races of all time are the Dunmer, Khajiit and Quanari. The reason is Dune.

• 21 posts
    November 11, 2016 9:16 AM EST

Nords are by far my favorite race (in Skyrim at least - I tend to play the native characters for TES games). 

This post was edited by Shield-Brother at November 11, 2016 9:20 AM EST
    • 277 posts
    November 11, 2016 10:52 AM EST

I don't have a preference. :-?

• 207 posts
    November 11, 2016 12:26 PM EST

Gollum said:

I like High Elves the most. They brag about being superior, but it's okay because they actually are. They are the best spellcasters in Tamriel, they have the longest natural life span, and they are going to take over all of Tamriel's provinces. 

Except blackmarsh cause its the place were the actually most superior race dwells. And it's dangerous n' stuff

• 585 posts
    November 11, 2016 12:54 PM EST

It's gotta be the Khajiit for me. You can tell from reading the lore that the devs were having a right laugh making them, which results in me enjoying them even more. With the proud Altmer, savage Orcs and alien Argonians, it's refreshing to have a race that doesn't take itself too seriously. And what can beat playing as a tiger or snow leopard?

• 77 posts
    November 11, 2016 1:05 PM EST

For me the Nord's have a slight advantage when it comes to lore.  That nordic viking feel, their legends, and the history you learn about them in Skyrim, it's all great stuff, though I may be a bit biased.   When it comes to gameplay the Almer is easily my favorite but that is entirely due to my love of playing magic wielders and the fact that Skyrim doesn't have a hieght slider.

• 490 posts
    November 11, 2016 2:00 PM EST
    Usually fluctuates and when I first started playing Skyrim I was all about Redguards.

After some time with Oblivion a few years back and more RP tries, Imperial seems to stick with me. I think it more about the lore surrounding Cyrodiil and struggles between the Ayleids and the overall skills that an Imperial possesses really makes them probably my top favorite.
    • 367 posts
    November 11, 2016 2:07 PM EST

I've howled it before and I'll howl it again.

There are only three races in TES.

1 Argonians.

2 Werewolves.

3 Everyone else.

• 558 posts
    November 11, 2016 2:30 PM EST

SoulLess said:

Gollum said:

Except blackmarsh cause its the place were the actually most superior race dwells. And it's dangerous n' stuff

Argonians are in my top 3 along with Orcs. Black Marsh does seem to only be able to support Argonian life, though.

• 312 posts
    November 11, 2016 2:36 PM EST

I'm pretty boring. Imperials hands down. :3

• 54 posts
    November 11, 2016 5:58 PM EST

I really, really love the Khjaiit. I love cats in genearal, so I fell in love with thier aesthatic the day I first played Skyrim. Then I got into Skyrim more, and loved the Khajiit even more. My first charater was a thief, and the Khajiit race fit that perfectly. Skyrim was easy enough on normal that I didn't need any racial powers, so I enjoyed the Night Vision for its non-combat purposes, and for its fitting roleplay as a thief. And of course, Punchcat. Still love that build. But then, then I got into the lore. I really enjoy the lunar theme throughout all Khajiit culture, and how it influences birth. All the sub-races are so diffrent they provide a wealth of variaty for story making and lore/character backstory in general. And I like the climate of thier land, at least how it was described. Trees and deserts are my thing in games. Oh, and their way of naming and speaking is so unique, everything else feels flat. And did I mention Punchcat?

• 4 posts
    November 12, 2016 6:56 AM EST

I love all the elven and beast races, yet not so much with the human races. They kind of bore me a little. Though, my favourite race has to be the Dunmer, for notalgia reasons (as they were the race of my first and most favourite skyrim character, having not played any of the previus elderscrolls titles until skyrim came out) and their appearance, culture and history are just so darn cool!

• 207 posts
    November 12, 2016 10:28 AM EST

Gollum said:

SoulLess said:

Gollum said:

Argonians are in my top 3 along with Orcs. Black Marsh does seem to only be able to support Argonian life, though.

Yes, that was what i ment. Even if we wouldn't talk about a race that probably got the closest to invading oblivion, they live in a dangerous, deadly, unhospitable swamp-thingy.

• 51 posts
    November 13, 2016 6:15 PM EST

Argonian master race. 'Nough said *high fives Sotek*

• 26 posts
    November 14, 2016 10:48 PM EST

Hmmm, this is a tough question, but I would say the Argonians win out for me. Ironically I've only ever played ONE Argonian playthorgh, BUT I LOVED IT! Awesome aesthetic, culture, religion, and amazing fighters! I mean they freaking INVADED Mehrunes Dagon during the Oblivion Crises.Badass! But I like all the races.

• 295 posts
    November 18, 2016 7:30 PM EST

Altmer and Nords. And I love mixing them up and watching them react to each other. I love the eons of history between the two and the fundamental conflict. :D I love Altmer that act like Nords (Henantier the Outsider) and Nords that act like Altmer (Shalidor). The fascination is watching them play off each other. They are like a volitile couple with great chemistry. :P

I do not dislike any race though. Orcs, Dunmer, and Khajiit are interesting to me as well. My lack of interest in the others is not because they are boring, but purely because of my own ignorance on their histories and lore. I know enough about each, however, to have a basic appreciation. I have played all of them. 

• 321 posts
    November 18, 2016 9:27 PM EST

My favorite races would be Dunmer, Altmer and Khajiit following those orders.

Dunmer because well... I think we already know why. The culture, architecture and religion. They're so diverse depending on Houses. I mean my first impression when I saw MK's artwork was... "wait, that's what they wear in Morrowind? It's so creepy yet intriguing at the same time."

I grew interested in the Altmer ever since I started making comparisons between the different Aldmeri Dominions between Eras and developed a more sypathetic view on this once-proud race. I still hate them (The Thalmor) for all the things they are currently doing to the Empire, but I can also understand why (maybe). Right now I have this crazy headcanon that the leaders of the Thalmor in the Fourth Era is a secret evil Cabal. But I'll get into that later.

Khajiit because of ...um, well... Moon-based lore, Khajiit variants, The Mane and skooma. Let's not forget about the skooma!   

• 43 posts
    November 18, 2016 10:36 PM EST

Snow Elves. Hey, Gelebor proves that snow elves are still a race, and technically they are ACTUALLY IMMORTAL considering Gelebor was thousands of years old, so Altmer get beat on that. And, they have magic similar to the Ayleid dawn magic, except it's sun magic. Same difference, dawn leads to sun, so no harm no foul. That is why snow elves are my favorite race.