Forums » Elder Scrolls

So much content, so little... Room on the quest menu

• 7 posts
    November 21, 2011 7:06 PM EST
    Does anyone else feel like they have too many quests active at once? I mean, I love how many quests there are, but I would like to do them all when I decide to. Doing one quest might start three more completely unconnected quests. I don't know if I'm making this clear, but I just find it kind of... Jumbled. I think if someone asks me to do something, I should be able to just say... No.
    • 12 posts
    November 22, 2011 10:30 AM EST
    Your quest menu lets you specify which ones are active by clicking. If someone asks you to do a quest for them, you are almost always given the option to say No.
    • 7 posts
    November 22, 2011 3:21 PM EST
    I'm talking about when someone runs up to you, or if you ask somebody a question not knowing it's for a quest and you can't take it back. And I know you can have quests active or unactive. I thought I made it relatively clear to understand I meant the quest menu... it's in the title actually. But I guess in a certain perspective, you did give me some kind of benefit of the doubt. Who plays skyrim and doesn't know you can make a quest active or unactive? And of all the quests I've started, none of them had the option to say no. I always say no if it's an option.

EDIT: Could be misread in what I said, as I did say active. I meant currently active like you can go do it, in my reply to you I meant active like the compass points toward it.
    • 1 posts
    November 25, 2011 4:27 PM EST
    It is a lot of jumbling with how many quests. Even bigger issue I have with the quest menu though is the lack of a paragraph of story about what has transpired as you complete tasks along a questline. I don't know it just really sucks when I am on a quest then get 5 more quests and decide to check one out. Well when I make it back to te main quest I have forgotten all the little details so the full story gets lost.........guess next character I will just have to write a book.....like I just did.......bwahahaha
    • 4 posts
    November 25, 2011 4:33 PM EST

I agree 100%. This needs to be fixed. It's annoying. I often find myself trying to just tell the Jarl about Riverwood because I want them to be safe from dragons, and I like having the guards there, but it kicks me off on another quest. Why can't I just say "NO I DO NOT WANT TO DO YOUR QUEST."?

• Rix
    • 2 posts
    November 25, 2011 4:42 PM EST

I know what you mean, I was in white-run having a drinking contest then all of a sudden I blacked out and was in a temple in markrath. I had lost all my stuff and had to retrace my steps to find it.

• 77 posts
    November 25, 2011 5:51 PM EST

Yea, I think the quest menu is the worst thing about Skyrim. It could be fixed in a very simple way. Sorting by hold or faction.

Example:

Main

Will someone please think of the children!

Legion/Stormcloak

Go kill stuff

Whiterun Hold

Chicken Kicker

Pie Master

The Rift

OOOH SHINIES!!!

The Companions

Go beat up that guy because, erm, he like, deserves it... or something...

Misc

Now, clicking The Companions would display that quest. Kind of like a drop down box. Now, by default, all boxes would be UNOPENED. INSTEAD OF HOW IT IS IN BLOODY WORLD OF WARCRAFT WHERE EVERY SINGLE CATEGORY IS OPEN WHEN YOU LAUNCH THE DAMN GAME!

Anyway, I don't get why they didn't just do this, or something similar. Keeping track of your quests is a nightmare as it is now. Which is why I do my questing per hold now. I won't move on from a hold until I've done what I think is most of the quests.

• 4 posts
    November 25, 2011 5:52 PM EST

knocking out all the main quest lines first. I literally have to run through the town disagreeing and denying everyone.

"Do you know anything about this house?"

"NO!!! leave me alone!!!!"

• 7 posts
    November 26, 2011 9:29 AM EST
    That was actually my favorite quest, because of the end. My drinking contest was actually in Ivarstead, though.
    • 739 posts
    November 26, 2011 4:20 PM EST

I think i know exactly what your saying, i like to keep a neat journal and i dont appreciate having a list as long as my arm, especially if they are things that i dont want to do! Ive found that if you just hit circle (ps3) when random folk approach, you can stop the quest being started. The redguards at the entrance to whiterun always catch me out.

• November 26, 2011 5:47 PM EST

They probably didn't do that because of console gamers, that includes me... (That doesn't mean I agree with the way thay decided to go about doing this)
    Yeah it's a tad consolified, all right. 

• November 26, 2011 7:54 PM EST

Lol I know what you mean...I had to dedicate something like 1 hour (ended up in 2) to just clear ALL my misc quests! After 2 hours I gave up. I ended up with almost so many quests as the ones I started with. Dam, every one in that game needs help!!! ^^

I think however that, it isn't in fact something bad. It's always fun to go kill a bandit group just to try some spells or weapons out! 

• 13 posts
    November 26, 2011 10:12 PM EST

Well, you can say no to the quests can't you? Seems to me like there is almost always the option to say, "Yes, I can help you right now" or "No, I'm busy" or some such. So I'm not really sure what you're talking about. I'm always worried about saying no because I don't want to miss out on a quest.