Forums » The Lounge

Decision Time: Ning or SocialEngine

This topic has been closed.
    • 641 posts
    September 25, 2016 4:46 PM EDT

Are any of the problems people have with the social engine site nor fixable?

• 179 posts
    September 25, 2016 4:57 PM EDT

At the end of the day I'd rather take the certainty of the Social Engine over the uncertainty of Ning. Plus, we can count on seeing more improvements to the Social Engine site as time goes on, assuming we stay with it. Plus, I haven't been able to access the old site at all for the last 24 hours, maybe more, which, aside from making it a little more difficult to fix up my builds, doesn't exactly reinforce my faith in Ning.

This post was edited by Albino at September 25, 2016 5:01 PM EDT
    • 773 posts
    September 25, 2016 5:05 PM EDT

Edana is correct. Cyndx didn't 'buy out' Ning - the parent company (Mode Media) went belly up, and the Ning part of the site was handed over to Cyndx, who are an investment company. Read more about them

There's no way that Cyndx are going develop, improve or do any actual work on Ning, they'll just sustain the small handful of staff that work for Ning (I've read online that they have a staff of either two or three people currently) until they can either sell it on to someone, or will simply wind it up and liquidate.

There is currently, as of right now, absolutely no long term strategy or plan for Ning. It's possible that one of the social network companies might buy the technology in the next few weeks, and put a plan in place to develop the wreckage of Ning into a workable and stalbe platform (remember there is still the half finished Ning 3.0 to work on). But currently there is no actual reason to believe that will happen.

Everything I've read on online tells me that the future of Ning is currently hanging by a thread. Do we really want to trust the future of the site to something with such a VERY uncertain future?

• 180 posts
    September 25, 2016 5:34 PM EDT

To be honest, I'd rather stay on this platform. I haven't quite got the hang of it yet but in time im sure I will.

Going back to ning is a gamble at this point. If we go back and it flops what then? Dish out another $1,400+ just to wind up back here anyway? I'd rather just stick it out on the more stable platform, teach the community how to make the most of what we have here, and in 6 months, maybe a year we'll get over the clunkiness and navigation issues and be able to appreiate the things we can do here that were impossible on ning. 

We should also consider the possibility that Social engine doesnt have to be our permenant home on the web. A few years down the line we may have more options available to us.

Or maybe a long time member will win the lottery and pay someone to custom build us a home on the web. Who knows. 

• 295 posts
    September 25, 2016 5:53 PM EDT

Social Engine. The Ning site is just sooooo ewww to me right now. 

• 312 posts
    September 25, 2016 9:52 PM EDT

So what I'm getting out of this thread is as follows:

We currently have a choice between

1. A familiar engine that may or may not exist in the coming years.

2. A "new" engine that may or may not improve in the coming years.

Seems to me the choice is clear given the worst-case scenarios of each.

• 77 posts
    September 26, 2016 1:18 AM EDT

I did a quick Google on this last night, ning look like they are trying to convince everyone it will get better, Cyndx at best are looking for a complacent client base that are too scared to look for an alternative, also the first thing that came up for them in the search was an investment bank, so it's fairly safe to say if they don't get the return they are looking for..  ning will be back on the table, fighting for its life. 

Having had both sites open while I fixed blogs and discussions, I stll prefer social engine, there should be more plugins to make it simpler that can be added over time. We are still on early days here, the old site took years to get to where it was, I have faith in Todd, Paul, Edana and the rest of the team to build this into a greater site than it already is.

• 321 posts
    September 26, 2016 4:15 AM EDT

The Social Engine seems better in my opinion. While it does take some time to get use to the CSS coding, the pros still outweight the cons. Plus the site has been here for just a few weeks. Give it some time and it will certainly outshine Ning.

• 295 posts
    September 26, 2016 5:49 AM EDT

Axius Revan said:

The Social Engine seems better in my opinion. While it does take some time to get use to the CSS coding, the pros still outweight the cons. Plus the site has been here for just a few weeks. Give it some time and it will certainly outshine Ning.

You bring up an interesting point, Axius. We are comparing a 5 year old Ning site to a few month old Social Engine site. Does anyone honestly expect a site that is that young to have the functionality and ease of a site that we've been mucking around in for five years? For a new website, you have got a ton of functionality and this is by no means all that Social engine is capable of. Many of our discussions involve "ooooooo look at this plugin, ooooooo look at that one" and we are having some pretty exciting conversations about functionality that are going to bring smiles to people's faces. Shit Ning couldn't do. So, right now, I'm extremely tolerant of some of the minor hiccups. We are still sorting things out. Perhaps, it is because I am inherently an adaptable person and used to situations that perpetually change, but I'm actually excited about this. New territory, new possibilities. Paul or Todd, one of you two needs to like post screenies of what the blog looked like on day 1. I am positive it didn't look like a five-year old Ning, nor, to be frank, did it look like a two month old social engine site. 

• 1467 posts
    September 26, 2016 6:22 AM EDT

Honestly...I'm not sure, I wanted to say Social Engine immediately, I personally have 0 problems with it at the moment, I mean, a lot of my discussions actually kept their pictures, and the few that didn't took me...maybe 10 minutes each to fix, I I mean, my build design was accidentally made so that it was pretty much the same no matter where I post it. (Google Docs, Word Doc, Ning, SE, whatever it works with minimal effort) 

But...then I look at activity and honestly it just seems like people don't want to be here. II don't have the analytics, which I've been told are rather promising but I'm always more for visual, physical activity and I dunno if it's just SE's kind of awkward ways it handles discussions and groups, or if there's been a rapid fall in activity but I really don't see activity like I used to on Ning. It's not rare to have an hour, or a couple hours with literally no activity, and when there is activity it seems...well quite brief. That just wasn't something I ever really recall dealing with on Ning, I remember at the very least someone would post a picture and it'd be quite rare to have such long gaps with nothing happening, usually only on big holidays or when we were moving.  

So I'm going to do an exercise that usually helps me (decide what pizza I should get :P), the Pros and Cons of each option.

Going Back to Ning - Pros

1. It's familiar
    2. We'd have a majority of our content, and it would all be in perfect condition (well near-perfect)
    3. We don't need to mass install modules to make it work, Ning...more or less works with what we want it to do perfectly. 

Going Back to Ning - Cons

1. We'd have to deal with 500 errors, so far there haven't really been any site-wide errors on SE.
    2. Ning could go down, possibly without warning.
    3. The cost is pretty massive, $1440 a year is a fair bit of money... I doubt it's something we could afford at the moment, so we'd either need to see a lot more donations, or ads...

Staying on Social Engine - Pros

1. Its cheaper
    2. It might...might be better in the long run than Ning was. 

Staying on Social Engine - Cons

1. It's going to take a long time to make it work for us, if we can.
    2. We're losing members who can't really put in the time to learn a new site/are having trouble with their content/whatever...The important thing is that the site is a lot of extra work for some people, where Ning would make it a lot easier for them to be around.
    3. It's harder to navigate SE, the way groups are handled right now, simply makes it harder for anyone to get around. 
    4. I won't pretend that I've put all that much effort into it as a whole, there are people who've spent much more time than me on helping sort out the site (Albino's CB likes copying is one thing, not to mention the Admins putting in their work) and from what I've seen it's simply an insane amount of work. As I said, I've barely put any time in, and I could easily rack up 5 hours in CB alone helping out with archiving, which is nothing like what the others have done. Putting in the time to fix this site up, is simply a lot of effort
    5. Photos...is honestly a mess, I dunno if it's fixable, but the Photos section just seems like it's going to be a mess, everything is posted in albums, even photos you send via messages, that can be private, but it just creates a very cluttered system. It's difficult to move them around using the text editor, a pain to upload them to the site (what used to take me...like 3 seconds now takes me a couple minutes), and it just generally is difficult.

My problem, is that I can't think of many positives to staying here, at least with Ning I could list a roughly equal amount of Pros and Cons, but for Social Engine...Well it's just a lot of current Cons.

Down the line, sure I can see Pros, but the amount of work that I see being needed to get to those Pros is simply...well I'm not sure if it's worth it. The problem I have is simply that we can't know for sure if SE will work for us, and at the very least it's going to take a long time to really know. What if we spend the next year here, putting in hours upon hours of work to just make it bearable to stay, only to end up with us figuring out that it won't do what we really want it to do. On the flip side, we don't know if Ning will be a long-term investment, we could move back, only to find out that Ning's being shut down within a week.

To me there's no easy answer, Social Engine requires waiting and a shit tonne of work, and it might work out, but it might not. In the meantime, there are people who've left because Social Engine's shit at the moment, there are people who won't end up fixing their content (for CB this can be as good as losing them for some builds), there are people who aren't going to be active because of how Social Engine works. That isn't a problem that Ning will have... Which is where I get twisted up.

I dunno, I could go on in a circle for weeks and still not know the answer... To finish up my (I'm sure predictably) long comment, my main concern now is that in the process of making SE better than Ning, we lose too many active members to really function properly, I can't predict the future so I don't know if that concern is justified, but I think there are enough (minor) issues that would prevent people from becoming as interested here, or just stop them from wanting to be here.

• 140 posts
    September 26, 2016 7:03 AM EDT

I have to agree there, DB. I know, because I'm one of those members who've been less active since the move. I used to check in on the Classics group and Gateway every single day, but now it's become more like a weekly thing. I've even stopped doing my Classics Spotlights, not because I want deprive the Site of content, but because it's just so much more cumbersome to post/view things these days, I just don't want to.

One of my biggest concerns is losing the bit of regualr activity we still have. People could argue that there's been a lot more sign-ups lately (Which there has), but how many of those members are actualy active? Before the move announcement, Ning was pretty damn popular. After the announcement, activity gradually started to decline. And ever since then, I haven't seen any increase.

• 312 posts
    September 26, 2016 7:47 AM EDT

Dragonborn1721 said:

My problem, is that I can't think of many positives to staying here, at least with Ning I could list a roughly equal amount of Pros and Cons, but for Social Engine...Well it's just a lot of current Cons.

There's a problem with only considering the number of Pros/Cons, imo. Each point has a magnitude that isn't considered. For example:

Ning could go down, possibly without warning.

This seems like a huge drawback, worth 3-4 points in magnitude at least (in my opinion). Equating it to something as minor as

It's harder to navigate SE, the way groups are handled right now, simply makes it harder for anyone to get around. 

seems rather unfair.

I also want to point out that most of your cons for Social Engine boil down to time.

1. It's going to take a long time to make it work for us, if we can.
    2. We're losing members who can't really put in the time to learn a new site/are having trouble with their content/whatever...The important thing is that the site is a lot of extra work for some people, where Ning would make it a lot easier for them to be around.
    3. It's harder to navigate SE, the way groups are handled right now, simply makes it harder for anyone to get around. 
    4. I won't pretend that I've put all that much effort into it as a whole, there are people who've spent much more time than me on helping sort out the site (Albino's CB likes copying is one thing, not to mention the Admins putting in their work) and from what I've seen it's simply an insane amount of work. As I said, I've barely put any time in, and I could easily rack up 5 hours in CB alone helping out with archiving, which is nothing like what the others have done. Putting in the time to fix this site up, is simply a lot of effort
    5. Photos...is honestly a mess, I dunno if it's fixable, but the Photos section just seems like it's going to be a mess, everything is posted in albums, even photos you send via messages, that can be private, but it just creates a very cluttered system. It's difficult to move them around using the text editor, a pain to upload them to the site (what used to take me...like 3 seconds now takes me a couple minutes), and it just generally is difficult.

So, really, it's only about 3 cons if we put the Time-related Cons together.

• 1467 posts
    September 26, 2016 9:07 AM EDT

There's a problem with only considering the number of Pros/Cons, imo. Each point has a magnitude that isn't considered. For example:

Ning could go down, possibly without warning.

This seems like a huge drawback, worth 3-4 points in magnitude at least (in my opinion). Equating it to something as minor as

It's harder to navigate SE, the way groups are handled right now, simply makes it harder for anyone to get around. 

seems rather unfair.

Ah, navigation is a bit of a larger problem than you give it credit Wu. I won't deny that Ning collapsing is a really huge drawback, but the lack of navigation that we have right now is still a pretty big one. Site's rely on being easy to navigate, as many issues we might've had with Ning it was at the very least one of the most easily searched sites I've ever been on and it was relatively easy to edit any problems out. Here, as a Host I can't even add links to the group, which is a massive issue. 

Then you have to consider that the navigation is a fact, it is something that's an issue, but Ning possibly going down is only that, a possible issue, it's still a big one but not a certain fact. Though, yeah still the difference in how much they'd effect the site is pretty huge. 

So, really, it's only about 3 cons if we put the Time-related Cons together.

Ah, but they are unique issues, with a single fix. Each con I raised might be fixable with time, but ultimitely they're different issues. Well I'd at least narrow them down to 2 seperate ones (1 and 4 are rather similar), but people leaving the site is a simply massive issue, that I'd compare to being nearly as bad as Ning collapsing on us. 

But I'm not here to argue about anything... As I said, there are serious issues with both options, with staying or going, and they're roughly equal. I just, well I think its a matter of us weighing what we lose between now and when the site is fully up, against what we could...potentially lose by going back to Ning. 

• 649 posts
    September 26, 2016 9:13 AM EDT

I´d rather invest time into something where isn´t an axe hanging over my head, DB. Which is Ning. The possibility of axe decapitating us is a possibility we have to count with. Let´s be realistic. Count with the worst, hope for the best.

What´s the worst thing that could happen here and what could happen on Ning?

This post was edited by Karver the Lorc at September 26, 2016 9:14 AM EDT
    • 694 posts
    September 26, 2016 9:31 AM EDT

Dragonborn1721 said:

Site's rely on being easy to navigate, as many issues we might've had with Ning it was at the very least one of the most easily searched sites I've ever been on and it was relatively easy to edit any problems out. Here, as a Host I can't even add links to the group, which is a massive issue. 

I totally hear your concerns here DB, and I want you to know that menus are something I'm definitely looking into. I'd love for us to get our tab architecture back, and this is something we'll be looking at in the coming weeks should we decide to stay. It's simply a matter of time, and maybe a plugin or two. The biggest thing with this format is that because it's modular, sometimes we need to spend a little time searching for a plugin that will give us what we need. Sometimes those plugins are free, and sometimes they range in price from $10-$200 dollars, more for a custom built one. For a tab structure, I suspect we might be able to find one for free or cheap if it's not something we can script or customize ourselves. There are thousands of plugins for SE, it just takes a little time (as Wu suggests) to find the right combination. :) 

Uhm, I also wouldn't agree that the Ning site was one of the most easily searched sites considering that the search bar was literally busted for forever. At least the one here works! Once we get tags sorted, we'll be in better shape. 

Group pages is another thing we'd eventually like to add down the road. For now making threads sticky is the best we have, but we also might be able to repurpose some of our freestanding pages that were migrated over. We just need to figure out how to best do that. 

[...] but people leaving the site is a simply massive issue, that I'd compare to being nearly as bad as Ning collapsing on us. 

You're right, and the activity feed levels have troubled me for some time. We have seen a dip in feed activity recently, but I'm hoping that it's mainly attributable to us still working the bugs out. Some of the upload tools were definitely less than perfect when we soft-launched the site. But with this collapse and things heading this way for some time, we felt it was best to move people over as soon as possible. We have been honing these tools and the activity feed over the last month and personally I feel like I've seen huge improvements in that time. Maybe it's because of all the testing and correspondence associated with closely tracking these issues, but already in that time I feel like we've covered a great distance. 

TLDR, yes there are issues, but I believe that in time we'll find fixes for them. I've joined a community devoted to former Ning creators (seriously! an entire community!), and there are lots of helpful folks over there with all sorts of pointers who can help us better align the site. It's just going to take a little time to get there, and so I feel that patience is something we should all try to exercise, rather than giving in to the knee-jerk reaction of going back to what we know. To me, going back seems the least safe option on the table. Potentially we could keep an eye on the situation, see if a stable tech corporation picks Ning up in the coming weeks, but barring that, returning to Ning seems like the riskiest option of them all. If we wanted to play it safe, we could find a way to pony up the dough to keep Ning on life support another month, but beyond that, I fail to see the benefits of returning to what we've known for months is a rapidly deteriorating platform.

This post was edited by Edana at September 26, 2016 9:53 AM EDT
    • 773 posts
    September 26, 2016 9:47 AM EDT

The question has been asked about the analytics, and I'll try to answer it.

To keep things simple, here are the number of site visitors on the most recent Sundays (which happens to be the day when most people visit the site)

Sept 24th   3340

Sept 17th   3455

Sept 10th   6046

Sept 3rd     3414

Aug 26th    3642

Aug 19th    3319

Aug 12th    3481

Aug 5th      3297

The September 10th spike was just after the site move and was part of a large spike in visitors in the 4-5 day period after the switch to Social Engine. Not sure why exactly this occured, but if you take that 4-5 days out the equation, you can see that site visitors (and the same trend is there for page views) show pretty much a flatline over the past two months.

So, the lack of activity on the activity feed isn't tied to any kind of fall off in site visitors / page impressions etc.

• 773 posts
    September 26, 2016 9:54 AM EDT

More analytics

Since the move to Social Engine

Users  43977

Sessions  82199

Page Views 474201

Pages per session 5.77

The bottom figure is particularly noteworthy - a website that engages its visitors to the tune of 5.77 pages per visit is doing remarkably well. I googled on what would be a decent ratio and the perceived view is that 'a quality site should be able to maintain a ration of between 2 and 4 pages per visit' (found this on Sitepoint). If that is the case, then we are doing much better than average at engaging our visitors.

Why that isn't yet translating into the activity feed is something we need to answer...

• 136 posts
    September 26, 2016 9:55 AM EDT

All I needed to know about Cyndex were these little nuggets:

Determined to leverage the power of technology to bring efficiency to the process and increase the reach of an investment bank’s capital raising abilities, he created Cyndx Holdings LLC.

Cyndx Advisors LLC (“Advisors”) is a registered broker dealer that provides growth stage companies with access to seasoned, licensed, investment banking professionals

Source

This should totally end the discussion. Ning as an online, social platform is DEAD. If you don't understand what I mean, Google "investment banks" and "investment bankers." Trust me, they're not in it to create vibrant online communities.

This post was edited by The_Lex at September 26, 2016 11:08 AM EDT
    • 39 posts
    September 26, 2016 11:00 AM EDT

Ning anyday. Ning was so much better, less cluttered, and I just found everything about it better. The only thing I like about Social Engine is notification system.

• 694 posts
    September 26, 2016 11:37 AM EDT

Patriarch said:

Determined to leverage the power of technology to bring efficiency to the process and increase the reach of an investment bank’s capital raising abilities, he created Cyndx Holdings LLC.

Cyndx Advisors LLC (“Advisors”) is a registered broker dealer that provides growth stage companies with access to seasoned, licensed, investment banking professionals

Source

This should totally end the discussion. Ning as an online, social platform is DEAD. If you don't understand what I mean, Google "investment banks" and "investment bankers." Trust me, they're not in it to create vibrant online communities.

My thoughts exactly. 

• 743 posts
    September 26, 2016 11:52 AM EDT

Patriarch said:

Source

Patriarch raises some really valid points. The last thing the Vault needs is a platform who's owner is a freaking broker dealer.

• 743 posts
    September 26, 2016 12:00 PM EDT

Paul said:

More analytics

Since the move to Social Engine

Users  43977

Sessions  82199

Page Views 474201

Pages per session 5.77

The bottom figure is particularly noteworthy - a website that engages its visitors to the tune of 5.77 pages per visit is doing remarkably well. I googled on what would be a decent ratio and the perceived view is that 'a quality site should be able to maintain a ration of between 2 and 4 pages per visit' (found this on Sitepoint). If that is the case, then we are doing much better than average at engaging our visitors.

Why that isn't yet translating into the activity feed is something we need to answer...

I believe we'll be seeing a spike in the activity feed once everyone simply gets the hang of navigating the site. Also, Skyrim RM is bound to reinvigorate the Vault, so bringing in more interested members will bring us back full strength, regarding activity.

• 50 posts
    September 26, 2016 12:09 PM EDT

Social engine - although the site is more difficult to navigate and find things (Ning is much better in that respect) but if it means ads all over the site to increase revenue then don't do it. Plus with a company going bust that in my experience is a bad thing. Ning also had it's reliability issues as well.

This is why I rent a virtual server and use standard things such as wordpress atop my own designed web pages. I'm just a novice when it comes to web development but I prefer something I have total control of. Some modded CMS systems I'm sure could do the same thing that Social Engine can but it would involve a lot more work and you probably won't be able to import any data. It's non starter for this site but if one were to start something from scratch it would be the best route im my opinion.

• 1595 posts
    September 26, 2016 1:06 PM EDT

It's funny, I can barely follow this debate. I'm like, "wot?!" and scratching my head. Here's my point of view in a nutshell. The biggest problems at launch was the inability to edit group discussions, the lack of likes on group discussions, the lack of tags on group discussions and group discussions likes, replied to or posted not appearing on the feed. Over the last three weeks we have achieved this:

The inability to edit group discussions ~ fixed

The lack of likes on group discussions ~ fixed

The lack of tags on group discussions ~ fixed

Group discussions likes, replied to or posted not appearing on the feed ~ fixed

In addition we have added yuoutube support.

There is not a problem I foresee with SE that we cannot fix. If there is not an existing pluggin we can invest in down the road then we can get it codded for us. We are looking at the possibility right now of having the feed able to link us to the last reply of any discussion. Edana is looking into fixing pictures so that we can have full screen visibility.

So it's all about patience. It's not as though this move came totally out of the blue, it was discussed publically as early as March iirc. Plus it goes without saying that a step backwards is never a step forwards. We will all get to grips with the site soon, that process should actually be enjoyable. I loved seeing Goldie, Karves, Lis and many others find solutions to issues and problem solve. That is what it's about, adapting and sharing knowledge.

• 773 posts
    September 26, 2016 1:22 PM EDT

Patriarch said:

Source

^ This

I wish those people craving a return to Ning would address what is being posted about Ning / Cyndex, instead of simply repeating the mantra of 'we got used to Ning, let's go back there...'

And, Phil, is absolutely right. The perceived issues with Social Engine can be fixed. It will take time - just like it did with Ning. I don't have any screenshots to prove this, but take it from the guy who set up the Ning site back in 2011 ... it took a LONG time to get the Ning site to the place where it ended up. If you saw the state of Character Builds posted back then you'd be amazed. A few were edited and improved, but most of those 'efforts' were culled- and the rest ended up in Deathmatches. Over time people got the hang of things and the quality improved, and eventually reached the very high standards that became 'normal'. But it didn't happen for a while...

Have some freaking patience people!!!

(Sorry to be blunt, but its how I feel)