Forums » General Gaming

Playing Stop and Go with Ralof

• 700 posts
    September 18, 2016 2:35 PM EDT

We are all intimately familiar with this experience in gaming, but I found myself wondering how long it's been present. I thought maybe it was for balance. If you run the same speed as the NPC, and NPC's never stop running when leading you from point A to B, then it's very...possible? to get separated. You'd never be able to catch up by following their exact path. But how much does that matter? Between in-game maps and objective markers (say what you will about them), it seems a tad out of place. Why is this a thing? It's clearly deliberate! And so consistent and present in gameplay that it must serve a purpose we've all been taking for granted.
    But what?

• 312 posts
    September 18, 2016 2:44 PM EDT

I really only notice this phenomenon with Bethesda games, for some reason. I don't think I've actually paid enough attention in others.

• 585 posts
    September 20, 2016 4:58 AM EDT

I've thought about this before, and it is annoying, but for games like Skyrim where your eyes are constantly exploring and investigating, it's nice to be able to catch up to whoever you're following without using a massive amount of stamina. But after your first playthrough, it gets annoying, so an option to turn it on or off would be great.

• 1595 posts
    September 21, 2016 5:12 PM EDT

I remmeber an Outside Xbox vid which mentions a game that takes the piss out of this whole thing. Could it be a developer in-joke?

• 641 posts
    September 21, 2016 5:18 PM EDT

I was playing Witcher 3 the last day doing a quest where you have to follow Yen and it's the same thing, so aggravating. I have noticed it in other games as well.

• 1595 posts
    September 21, 2016 5:40 PM EDT

Veloth The Prophet said:

I was playing Witcher 3 the last day doing a quest where you have to follow Yen and it's the same thing, so aggravating. I have noticed it in other games as well.

It is funny you should mention Yennefer, I was... thinking...  about her earlier. It need not be said I would play any game Yen asked of me. Stop and Go, hide the sausage, guess the body part... you name it.