Forums » Elder Scrolls

Poll: Is a VR option a good idea?

• 50 posts
    September 14, 2016 12:30 PM EDT

OK then. As I can't find a way to make a poll on this new site (unless I'm missing something) I will post a forum topic...

Is a VR option for a future Elder Scrolls a good idea?

This probably won't appeal to regular PC gamers who play large open world RPGs and Elder Scrolls veterans but for the younger generation especially on consoles it may be something that will appeal to those audiences. My nephew would love Skyrim in VR and one of my friends who is a Witcher fan would love to see that game in VR.

My thinking is I would probably give it a go, find the controls awkward, get motion sickness then give it up as a bad idea / just a gimmick.

What do others think?

• 743 posts
    September 14, 2016 12:33 PM EDT

Hell no, I think that would be a disservice to the franchise and the fans. It would be put in purely as a way to grab the attention of new gamers instead of rewarding loyal TES fans.

• 50 posts
    September 14, 2016 12:38 PM EDT

RogueSilver said:

Hell no, I think that would be a disservice to the franchise and the fans. It would be put in purely as a way to grab the attention of new gamers instead of rewarding loyal TES fans.

Yep, they will do that to get a bigger audience and more money. I posted in the other topic that if that is the route they want to go down then I hope they don't forget about the loyal fan base they have and dumb it down.

• 312 posts
    September 14, 2016 12:54 PM EDT

RogueSilver said:

I'm sure a lot of TES fans would say that having VR is a great reward in of itself.

Teekus said:

I posted in the other topic that if that is the route they want to go down then I hope they don't forget about the loyal fan base they have and dumb it down.

You mean more than Oblivion and Skyrim already have?

I think having Virtual Reality in the Elder Scrolls series would be pretty cool. I've seen a lot of current VR games, and they do a really good job of making you feel like part of the action. I doubt TES would be any different. Then again, I've said before that I'm not a die-hard fan of the series, so my thinking isn't indicative of the rest of the community.

• 215 posts
    September 14, 2016 1:25 PM EDT

WuYiXiang said:

RogueSilver said:

I'm sure a lot of TES fans would say that having VR is a great reward in of itself.

Teekus said:

I posted in the other topic that if that is the route they want to go down then I hope they don't forget about the loyal fan base they have and dumb it down.

You mean more than Oblivion and Skyrim already have?

I think having Virtual Reality in the Elder Scrolls series would be pretty cool. I've seen a lot of current VR games, and they do a really good job of making you feel like part of the action. I doubt TES would be any different. Then again, I've said before that I'm not a die-hard fan of the series, so my thinking isn't indicative of the rest of the community.

Yeah, like they wouldn't do that in a heartbeat for more revenue.  LOL

• 1467 posts
    September 14, 2016 7:21 PM EDT

I just don't care either way. I can't use VR headsets, so as long as the game isn't 100% VR then I'm down for it. If it is, then I would just be confused...and probably a bit pissed but let's be real, they know that VR isn't 100% accepted, and won't be even by then so the odds of that happening are pretty low. 

I think the idea itself would be cool, I like the theoretical idea of someone making ES with VR because I think it would add some interesting immersion that we just haven't had. 

• 558 posts
    September 14, 2016 8:26 PM EDT

I don't see why it would be a bad idea unless they are delaying the game for VR. 

• 321 posts
    September 14, 2016 8:55 PM EDT

As long as it's an optional preference. I can't imagine the constant headaches if I get ragdoll'd using VR.

• 15 posts
    September 14, 2016 10:55 PM EDT

VR isn't actually VR but that is a different topic. VR is dying quickly. It is just a new fad. Between the high cost and crappy game selection, VR has been decreasing in use at a scary rate. Playstation's VR will cost as much, if not more, than the console itself. These are all reasons why VR is not a good option. For those who have the money and want to buy an expensive periphrial then fine, get it and love it. Then put it on the pile of other periphrials you will never touch again like the Power Glove and the Will Boxing Gloves.

I just realized something. Developers are in love with VR right now and they could make it better by reinventing the power glove! Two bad ideas combined to make a sweaty, lonely experience!

• 585 posts
    September 15, 2016 3:02 AM EDT

I don't really mind if they implement it or not, so long as I can choose which mode to play it in. While being fully immersed in the world would be amazing, and some would say is the purpose of many CB builds and the RP group as a whole, I can't really say how good it would be. I've never played a VR game, and while the gameplay doesn't look great people swear by it's realism, so I could be completely wrong about it. If ES6 is delayed by a considerable amount of time to implelemt it, though, then that's what will annoy me. A few weeks or a month or two is fine, but any longer and I'll be annoyed from the start that it's in there. The option of adding it in after seems like a better path to me, as it could renew the game after a year or two.

• 50 posts
    September 15, 2016 1:26 PM EDT

Zonnonn said:

I don't really mind if they implement it or not, so long as I can choose which mode to play it in. While being fully immersed in the world would be amazing, and some would say is the purpose of many CB builds and the RP group as a whole, I can't really say how good it would be. I've never played a VR game, and while the gameplay doesn't look great people swear by it's realism, so I could be completely wrong about it. If ES6 is delayed by a considerable amount of time to implelemt it, though, then that's what will annoy me. A few weeks or a month or two is fine, but any longer and I'll be annoyed from the start that it's in there. The option of adding it in after seems like a better path to me, as it could renew the game after a year or two.

Yeah I hope that's not the reason why they are delaying it. We'll know in a year or two if the VR thing is just a fad or not; just look what happened to 3D on TV's - that was the new thing and quickly lost appeal so much so it's hard to find a TV now that supports 3D. It's all about 4K now for both TV and games.

This post was edited by Teekus at September 15, 2016 1:27 PM EDT
    • 743 posts
    September 15, 2016 2:44 PM EDT

Hawkward said:

VR isn't actually VR but that is a different topic. VR is dying quickly. It is just a new fad. Between the high cost and crappy game selection, VR has been decreasing in use at a scary rate. Playstation's VR will cost as much, if not more, than the console itself. These are all reasons why VR is not a good option. For those who have the money and want to buy an expensive periphrial then fine, get it and love it. Then put it on the pile of other periphrials you will never touch again like the Power Glove and the Will Boxing Gloves.

I just realized something. Developers are in love with VR right now and they could make it better by reinventing the power glove! Two bad ideas combined to make a sweaty, lonely experience!

Hawkward is 100% right. VR will be dead in a year if they're lucky. Who the hell wants to look into a mask to play a video game? It's such a dumbass idea.

• 312 posts
    September 15, 2016 3:09 PM EDT

RogueSilver said:

Hawkward is 100% right. VR will be dead in a year if they're lucky. Who the hell wants to look into a mask to play a video game? It's such a dumbass idea.

Thanks for calling me a dumbass...

• 1441 posts
    September 15, 2016 7:23 PM EDT

RogueSilver said:

Hawkward said:

It could immerse you more into the game, as if you were actually there

• September 16, 2016 3:39 AM EDT

Well said Rogue, couldnt have put it better myself.

• 585 posts
    September 16, 2016 4:06 AM EDT

Teekus said:

Zonnonn said:

Yeah I hope that's not the reason why they are delaying it. We'll know in a year or two if the VR thing is just a fad or not; just look what happened to 3D on TV's - that was the new thing and quickly lost appeal so much so it's hard to find a TV now that supports 3D. It's all about 4K now for both TV and games.

They'll always be a new fad coming out, and I'm ok with developers catering to them, as long as it doesn't hinder development. DLC and patches are a good way to add them, in my opinion.

• 743 posts
    September 16, 2016 10:07 AM EDT

Bonelord said:

Well said Rogue, couldnt have put it better myself.

Thanks Bonelord.

• 39 posts
    February 22, 2017 9:29 AM EST

Having played only a few of the VR games that have come out in the past few years, I have to say I was a little disappointed when it came to the realism. Everyone's talking about it being more realistic but the fact of the matter is that most of the games look like cartoons or low-definition games. The tech just isn't there to support it. Wait a second...Todd said something similiar...