Forums » Elder Scrolls

Skyrim Remastered: What's Bethesda's Game?

• 557 posts
    September 12, 2016 12:43 PM EDT

Paul said:

What I can't get my heard around is why Bethesda seemingly has to work on only one project at a time. I mean, its not as if they are some back-bedroom operation with a couple of guys, and they can't afford to employ more people...

With the amount of money they must have made from Skyrim and Fallout 4, they could easily afford to emply sufficient people to be simultaneously working on several projects at once. Why they keep spinning this 'we want to work on other projects first' line is a complete mystery to me

I can only assume that Todd Howard is actually a control freak who cannot bear not to have his finger on the pulse of everything that goes on at Bethesda. And when Pete Hines says 'we want to focus on other projects first' what he actually means is 'Todd can't let anything happen without him being involved'.

I can't think of another reason why Bethesda couldnt just employ another, separate in-house development team to be working on Elder Scrolls VI at the same time as working on these other projects that they keep mentioning.

Maybe Bethesda needs another Todd? ;)

• 743 posts
    September 12, 2016 12:44 PM EDT

Todd said:

Paul said:

What I can't get my heard around is why Bethesda seemingly has to work on only one project at a time. I mean, its not as if they are some back-bedroom operation with a couple of guys, and they can't afford to employ more people...

With the amount of money they must have made from Skyrim and Fallout 4, they could easily afford to emply sufficient people to be simultaneously working on several projects at once. Why they keep spinning this 'we want to work on other projects first' line is a complete mystery to me

I can only assume that Todd Howard is actually a control freak who cannot bear not to have his finger on the pulse of everything that goes on at Bethesda. And when Pete Hines says 'we want to focus on other projects first' what he actually means is 'Todd can't let anything happen without him being involved'.

I can't think of another reason why Bethesda couldnt just employ another, separate in-house development team to be working on Elder Scrolls VI at the same time as working on these other projects that they keep mentioning.

Maybe Bethesda needs another Todd? ;)

I had a feeling that was coming :p

• 288 posts
    September 12, 2016 12:45 PM EDT

Well, some of the small independent kickstarter funded outfits like InXile and Obsidian also have control freaks for bosses and yet they somehow manage to work on several games at once, although they do favour one title at a time.

So the answer probably lies elsewhere. I'm guessing it's about some corporate profit bullsh*t - they probably want to milk the maximum $$ out of Skyrim and ESO, before developing ES6.

• 743 posts
    September 12, 2016 12:47 PM EDT

Overhate said:

Well, some of the small independent kickstarter funded outfits like InXile and Obsidian also have control freaks for bosses and yet they somehow manage to work on several games at once, although they do favour one title at a time.

So the answer probably lies elsewhere. I'm guessing it's about some corporate profit bullsh*t - they probably want to milk the maximum $$ out of Skyrim and ESO, before developing ES6.

Im sure that has a lot to do with it too. 

• 15 posts
    September 12, 2016 12:48 PM EDT

The engine excuse isn't really an excuse, Hawk. Take Assassin's creed for example, they alternate engines almost every 2-3 years. It doesn't take THAT long when you put it all into perspective.

I get what you are saying but Assassin's Creed is a very different game. It is nowhere close to the complexities of TES. It is probably easier to update the engine for a game like Assassin's Creed when not much changes from game to game and everything is fairly simple. TES6 is going to be gigantic, both deep and wide. I think they want to make the best engine possible, not just something a bit better like AC, to show off everything they are capable of doing. The changes they make to AC's engine are basically just updates to the same engine. It is much harder to rebuild a new engine for a new console generation that you plan to use for the next decade.

This post was edited by Hawkward at September 12, 2016 12:50 PM EDT
    • 743 posts
    September 12, 2016 12:51 PM EDT

Hawkward said:

The engine excuse isn't really an excuse, Hawk. Take Assassin's creed for example, they alternate engines almost every 2-3 years. It doesn't take THAT long when you put it all into perspective.

I get what you are saying but Assassin's Creed is a very different game. It is nowhere close to the complexities of TES. It is probably easier to update the engine for a game like Assassin's Creed when not much changes from game to game and everything is fairly simple. TES6 is going to be gigantic, both deep and wide. I think they want to make the best engine possible, not just something a bit better like AC, to show off everything they are capable of doing. The changes they make to AC's engine are basically just updates to the same engine. It is much harder to rebuilding a new engine for a new console generation that you plan to use for the next decade.

But like Paul mentioned, why not have a seperate team dedicated to the new engine? I call bull when Todd Howard claimed that tech wasn't capable of making a worthy TES6. Just look at the masterpieces on the current gen already.

• 585 posts
    September 12, 2016 12:51 PM EDT

It seems like I'm the only person who's really excited about Skyrim Remastered. The thing I've been craving more than anything these past few years are the amazing ENBs, and although I'm always looking for cool armour and weapons other mods aren't a priority. So this game is a way to get the result I want without forking out loads for a PC, and although I'll never use them, the other mods being available is a plus.

I guess I just want Skyrim to be as good as possible, and not have the sequel. Not yet, anyway. And I didn't expect ES6 to come out until 2017 or 18 anyway, so I've been prepared for this.

• 15 posts
    September 12, 2016 12:54 PM EDT

RogueSilver said:

Hawkward said:

I get what you are saying but Assassin's Creed is a very different game. It is nowhere close to the complexities of TES. It is probably easier to update the engine for a game like Assassin's Creed when not much changes from game to game and everything is fairly simple. TES6 is going to be gigantic, both deep and wide. I think they want to make the best engine possible, not just something a bit better like AC, to show off everything they are capable of doing. The changes they make to AC's engine are basically just updates to the same engine. It is much harder to rebuilding a new engine for a new console generation that you plan to use for the next decade.

But like Paul mentioned, why not have a seperate team dedicated to the new engine? I call bull when Todd Howard claimed that tech wasn't capable of making a worthy TES6. Just look at the masterpieces on the current gen already.

I too disliked his quote about tech not being good enough yet. At the time I felt as if he was hinting at VR tech. I thought he was sort of saying "I want to wait to see if this VR trend takes off or not before I commit to anything", which isn't good either.

• 743 posts
    September 12, 2016 12:55 PM EDT

Zonnonn said:

It seems like I'm the only person who's really excited about Skyrim Remastered. The thing I've been craving more than anything these past few years are the amazing ENBs, and although I'm always looking for cool armour and weapons other mods aren't a priority. So this game is a way to get the result I want without forking out loads for a PC, and although I'll never use them, the other mods being available is a plus.

I guess I just want Skyrim to be as good as possible, and not have the sequel. Not yet, anyway. And I didn't expect ES6 to come out until 2017 or 18 anyway, so I've been prepared for this.

I'm extremely excited, Zonnonn! It just concerns me because Bethesda has literally refused to speak about TES6. They aren't even talking about the Skyrim RM!

• 585 posts
    September 12, 2016 12:57 PM EDT

RogueSilver said:

Zonnonn said:

I'm extremely excited, Zonnonn! It just concerns me because Bethesda has literally refused to speak about TES6. They aren't even talking about the Skyrim RM!

Woops, might've misinterpreted a few people, then. I guess what I wanted to say is that I don't feel negative about this at all, and in that I seem to be by myself. I've got plenty of other nerdy fantasy stuff to get absorbed in for the time being.

• 743 posts
    September 12, 2016 12:59 PM EDT

Hawkward said:

RogueSilver said:

Hawkward said:

I too disliked his quote about tech not being good enough yet. At the time I felt as if he was hinting at VR tech. I thought he was sort of saying "I want to wait to see if this VR trend takes off or not before I commit to anything", which isn't good either.

If TES6 even has VR as an option, I will promptly quit being an Elder Scrolls fanboy.

• 700 posts
    September 12, 2016 1:03 PM EDT

I always viewed Remastered as a gift. A chance for everyone to really live the full experience of Bethesda's most popular ES game. ES6 won't come for a couple years, but with mods that add new worlds and quests, and even the ones that just add a survivial element, we'll be fine. Creativity and passion can outlive any gaps between games. To be quite honest though, I don't think FO4 was a test. Sure, Bethesda will learn things from it, but they didn't spend six years designing a test. Nor do I think they released Remastered as an insult. Maybe I'm giving the gaming industry too much credit? I'm just trying to see positives in all of this. 

• September 12, 2016 1:06 PM EDT

I certainly do not buy that its about money, if there is one thing Bethesda are not short of its that, I think Paul may have a point, the MD is a control freak, think about it!! they were all Nerds at school( no insult intended, they have described themselves as such) now they are successful, and we now have an MD who will go home and take his ball with him if things are not done his way, they have the fan base, and they know it is loyal, so, why rush  "I want to do this first" (chucks rattle out of pram), then when I am ready we will do ES6.

I hope that I am wrong I really do,and that an engine issue is responsible for the delay, but it makes you wonder, what Hines has invisioned for ES6, but he did say quite clearly, we dont as yet have the technology to create ES6 as we see it. 

Perhaps our own Todd could pen a letter to Bethesda, introduce ourselves, who we are, what we do, and ask politely, where is our F=-;',g Game, dickheads

• 743 posts
    September 12, 2016 1:14 PM EDT

Legion said:

I always viewed Remastered as a gift. A chance for everyone to really live the full experience of Bethesda's most popular ES game. ES6 won't come for a couple years, but with mods that add new worlds and quests, and even the ones that just add a survivial element, we'll be fine. Creativity and passion can outlive any gaps between games. To be quite honest though, I don't think FO4 was a test. Sure, Bethesda will learn things from it, but they didn't spend six years designing a test. Nor do I think they released Remastered as an insult. Maybe I'm giving the gaming industry too much credit? I'm just trying to see positives in all of this. 

I agree regarding the Remastered being a gift, Legion. However, surely F4 was released first on next gen purposely? Fallout sales aren't as ground breaking as TES, and Bethesda would know that better than anyone, right? Is still belive it was a test.

• 743 posts
    September 12, 2016 1:15 PM EDT

Bonelord said:

I certainly do not buy that its about money, if there is one thing Bethesda are not short of its that, I think Paul may have a point, the MD is a control freak, think about it!! they were all Nerds at school( no insult intended, they have described themselves as such) now they are successful, and we now have an MD who will go home and take his ball with him if things are not done his way, they have the fan base, and they know it is loyal, so, why rush  "I want to do this first" (chucks rattle out of pram), then when I am ready we will do ES6.

I hope that I am wrong I really do,and that an engine issue is responsible for the delay, but it makes you wonder, what Hines has invisioned for ES6, but he did say quite clearly, we dont as yet have the technology to create ES6 as we see it. 

Perhaps our own Todd could pen a letter to Bethesda, introduce ourselves, who we are, what we do, and ask politely, where is our F=-;',g Game, dickheads

Perfect idea, we know you're reading this Bethesda. Take notes.

• 585 posts
    September 12, 2016 1:36 PM EDT

Bonelord said:

Huh, I'm the opposite. Not having an engine ready suggests that if the game comes out in the near future, which I hope it does, it won't be polished as much as it could be. Story and other concepts could take the forefront if the engine isn't ready, I guess, but I'd still prefer to still think that Todd Howard is a bit controlling, at least then it'll be a quality product.

• 312 posts
    September 12, 2016 2:18 PM EDT

Zonnonn said:

Huh, I'm the opposite. Not having an engine ready suggests that if the game comes out in the near future, which I hope it does, it won't be polished as much as it could be. Story and other concepts could take the forefront if the engine isn't ready, I guess, but I'd still prefer to still think that Todd Howard is a bit controlling, at least then it'll be a quality product.

Because if Bethesda is known for anything, it's polish and writing. >.>

• 585 posts
    September 12, 2016 2:52 PM EDT

WuYiXiang said:

Because if Bethesda is known for anything, it's polish and writing. >.>

Ha, well Skyrim to me feels polished to an extent, but I think I'm looking at it with rose tinted glasses.

• 312 posts
    September 12, 2016 3:21 PM EDT

Zonnonn said:

Ha, well Skyrim to me feels polished to an extent, but I think I'm looking at it with rose tinted glasses.

To an extent, yes, but you can't deny the billions of bugs that had to be fixed by modders even after the umpteenth official patch.

• 773 posts
    September 12, 2016 5:59 PM EDT
    Todd said:

I just traded my PS4 to someone yesterday for an Xbox One, then bought a new copy of Fallout. 

Nice. In fact I might look into doing something similar
    This post was edited by Paul at September 12, 2016 5:59 PM EDT
    • 743 posts
    September 12, 2016 8:16 PM EDT

Paul said:
    Todd said:

I just traded my PS4 to someone yesterday for an Xbox One, then bought a new copy of Fallout. 

I knew it Paul. You took my advice. Welcome to the Xbox Masterace.

• 627 posts
    September 12, 2016 8:56 PM EDT

If TES6 even has VR as an option, I will promptly quit being an Elder Scrolls fanboy.

So I don't understand this statement, if it does have a VR option and you don't like/have VR then don't use it. The only way I could possibly understand it is if it detracted from the game in some way. If on the other hand it doesn't and the game is just as good, what does it matter if they've given people the choice to do something that you don't particularly want? 

And if it's the reason behind the delay, so what? We have to wait a couple more years for a video game? You'll survive.

• 1441 posts
    September 12, 2016 9:00 PM EDT

Golden Fool said:

So I don't understand this statement, if it does have a VR option and you don't like/have VR then don't use it. The only way I could possibly understand it is if it detracted from the game in some way. If on the other hand it doesn't and the game is just as good, what does it matter if they've given people the choice to do something that you don't particularly want? 

And if it's the reason behind the delay, so what? We have to wait a couple more years for a video game? You'll survive.

Plus, imagine being in the world of Nirn, it would make you feel as if you were an adventurer in the land of Tamriel

• 321 posts
    September 12, 2016 9:47 PM EDT

RogueSilver said:

Paul said:
    Todd said:

I knew it Paul. You took my advice. Welcome to the Xbox Masterace.

We've lost another good soul folks...

• 312 posts
    September 12, 2016 10:15 PM EDT

Golden Fool said:

I agree with Golden here 100%. How does there being a VR option affect your gameplay if it isn't mandatory?