Forums » Suggestions

DB Suggestion 136: Personal Chatrooms

• 1467 posts
    September 8, 2016 6:33 AM EDT

Oh wow, I'm so surprised, what are the odds of DB being the first one to use the Suggestions Forum :P Though I suppose this is more question than suggestion.

Anyway, I had a kind of interesting idea, I don't know if it's actually something that could be implemented, but if it can be I think it'd be pretty awesome for opening up more on-site communication. So, we can create chatrooms on this site obviously, and I was wondering if there was a way to let people make there own. Say I wanted to work on a larger project, but didn't want to communicate purely using messages, is there a site function that would then allow us to create our own chatroom and talk it out there? (Or a module that could let us do it). 

Alternatively, is there any way to get an Admin to create a private Chatroom for members, or are they strictly private? 

• 1595 posts
    September 8, 2016 7:31 AM EDT

It's interesting Deebs, I have never played around with the chat function before so not sure how the features here differ. So as a test I have put one in the main forum page and can see it has a couple of rooms inside it. I will add a new one for giggles and see if there is a way of making it private and invitation only. This is just a test, mind ;)

Edit: As far as I can tell when setting up a chat room there is no option to make it private, so a DB's Discussion may not be as you'd imagine becuase anyone could stroll in and out. However, the abilty to create an unlimited number of rooms could mean that it is not entirely out of the question either. The same issues about monitoring chats still exists, though. Plus the cost on the server if any which would mean Todd would have the final say.

This post was edited by Paws at September 8, 2016 7:44 AM EDT